• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kathleen Kennedy: Making A STAR WARS Film Is Difficult because no source material

desertdroog

what Lucas did took real guts. he fully believed in his vision. there are so many wild and idiosyncratic choices he made when devising the original Star Wars. yes, his source material was indeed comics (he was inspired by Fourth World & 60's psychedelic Kirby stuff), pulp science fiction (Leigh Brackett, writer of the first draft of ESB, had written a story with lighstabers in it during the 1940s), spaghetti westerns, japanese films, war movies, etc. C-3PO and R2D2 were nothing more than references to the Hidden Fortress, as Star Wars was originally a remake/reboot of that movie, and the two traveling lowly peasants were transformed into the iconic droids that would basically live to see (and tell) the full events of the series. all these things were his source material. SW only exists because he would take a character from a comic or movie he liked and twist it into a new thing, be it a robot, an alien, etc. the new folks don't even try to do this, they spend all their time commenting on the old stuff, and complaining about how hard it is to get paid millions of dollars to play with someone else's toys.

JJ and RJ and others have been graced with an embarassment of riches, and all they can do is throw their toys at the wall. it is not difficult to just come up with a new Jedi, a new furry alien friend like Chewie, a new robot duo, hire an esteemed older actor to play an Obi Wan type, a new lovable puppet like Yoda, etc. instead they took the old ones and made it about them, and then they told us "this isn't about the old characters, quit caring about them". if instead of Chewbacca it was Chimbo then that dumb Porg comedy scene wouldn't sting so much. they just failed at even trying anything new. where is Rey's spaceship? or a new lightsaber like weapon? where are the new non-TIE Fighter non-X-Wing ships? they just going to do slightly bulkier Star Destroyers, no new designs? they could have easily invented new things. they chose not to. Admiral Holdo is just a Bad Rebel Commander who subverts by NOT telling everyone the plan in a holographic conference room (every previous SW film have gratuitous scenes of commanders explaining & projecting vital data to everyone involved, even random smugglers). Rian did not give us anything new, he gave us a poor twist on a known character type.

really, Rose is the only new part of TLJ, and she is practically a bipolar fascistic militant designed purposefully to be unlike anyone who would be in a Star Wars movie. her first scene has her tasing the black male lead in a disturbing moment where his loss of agency is played for comedy. you think back to the very first SW film, where C-3PO and R2 kick off a whole series of adventures by doing what Finn was trying to do, fleeing on an escape pod. but here it's bad, trying to help your friends, trying to get away from violence. the Resistance is basically acting no better than the Empire used to be, as demonstrated by Rose, in her debut scene. later she lectures a former child soldier "(and us) on the perils of capitalism before they introduce the idea that maybe both sides really are the same (DJ). moral relativity has poisoned a series which once had pretty clear & archetypal moral lines drawn. the new people writing these just aren't good enough to write those kind of mythical tales.

indeed, the true rot is just bad writing. even taken at face value, these movies are houses of cards, precariously built on well designed trailer worthy images based on images from 40 year old films. the writing, the character arcs, the dialog, all of it is incoherent. i cannot find myself caring about any of the characters after the last ST film. TFA was ok if you shut your brain off, TLJ had such a big ego it dared you to question the shit you were consuming, and i found the ST lacking in it's entirety. they aren't even trying. if they are having trouble making these, it is difficult because the people she has chosen are not capable of doing a good job.
Great points!

All director and writers of the star Wars universe should spend time understanding the source materials that generated Star Wars. Samurai/Western movies and WWII naval command and control with dog fighting and bombing tactics. Wrap it up in sci-fi fantasy and voila, better than any recent attempt made.

Forget focusing on details like the specific Jedi and Sith and focus on a good story. Then weave in the canon items to make it starwars, the rest will follow.

Last edited:
giphy.gif
jGpr5wa.gif

I see your Schwarts is as big as mine

trikster40

Oh, Kathleen, you’re such a hoot! I mean, it IS really hard to come up with a story in an imaginary universe with magic light swords, laser guns, and space ships. Soooooo hard.

giphy.gif

Petrae

Acknowledging that Star Wars died once Lucas sold the rights to the House of Mouse has been the best. Disney was so happy to have one of the most iconic franchises around that it didn’t realize that its “creative” minds had no idea what to do with it. And, honestly, Disney didn’t care because it knew that merchandising the franchise to death and slapping the words “Star Wars” on anything would equate to easy ROI.

The thing about fandoms in the Social Media Age is that many will die on the hill of passionately defending everything tied to said fandom— even the trash. They’ll blindly watch any movie, buy any tchotchke, and sternly tell you that your dissenting opinion about anything is wrong because you were never a “real fan” and “you just don’t understand”.

I don’t even watch the original films anymore.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Abrams, who took over co-writing and shooting the movie, went in some significantly different directions, including a return for a classic character. "Bringing back the Emperor was an idea JJ brought to the table when he came on board," Trevorrow says. "It’s honestly something I never considered. I commend him for it. This was a tough story to unlock, and he found the key."
another one for the "it was planned out all along" truthers...
Another Star Wars filmmaker, Rian Johnson, incorporated one of Trevorrow's suggestions into his own movie, The Last Jedi, working from a concept that the Jurassic World director had looked to include himself. "I just asked Rian if he could include a little moment where Rey and Poe meet for the first time," he says. "They’re such beloved characters, it felt right for them to have some history in the next movie. I thought the way he did it was perfect.
LOL it feels right for 2 of the 3 main heroes to have some history by the third film of a trilogy. Rian can you go out of your way and have them, like, meet? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
This moronic woman will "retire gracefully" after Episode IX with a ridiculous congratulations campaign from all journalists.

(hopefully)

And as for Roundhead's trilogy?

Don't make me laugh. He's done.

Kathleen already implied they're giving the reigns to Favreau instead.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Banned
I seriously wonder how this woman got to be in the position she is in. Gross incompetence doesn't usually get a person to the top of the flagpole. She must give a mean BJ.

She's an attractive woman, so I've always assumed she slept her way to all of those producer gigs.
People in fact do sleep their way to the top but the assumption, just based on her jobs and looks, is kinda fucking disgusting, just saying.

Maybe if there was any sort of evidence pointing to that other than her looks, we'd have a conversation, but damn, that assumption...

Like, the bj statement is clearly a joke but you're just like, "shes pretty. Must have gotten her job through sex."

Honest question: when you see a handsome ceo male, do you also think they fucked their way to the top?

This is all coming from someone who thinks kennedy has had a huge hand in destroying star wars for reference.

crowbrow

Banned
They need someone to write a good story for them because 99% of the time and resources they spent on diversity and wokeness and they only have 1% left to actually write good characters and plot.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
If it is this hard now, imagine how hard it must have been to create the original! I mean, George must actually had to create a plot and characters.

It boggles my mind how hard everything was before the Simpsons did it.
its a fascinating story. The Secret History of Star Wars is the best text for this, it present a chronological storyline of the development of the series from the days when it was a whim he had while making American Graffiti.

it is interesting to see how it went through so many changes, how the characters changed dramatically from draft to draft, so many new ideas from all the different re-writes it took. at one point he was settled on remaking The Hidden Fortress and tried to purchase the rights to that, so the movie was patterned after that, and even if he changed things ultimately, it is part of the backbone, the history of the storytelling. the process going into that first movie took more than 4 years. these days, they are given 2.

the new guys, they are sent off running at the races. JJ has said it is literally a race to finish this movie. he has 3 months less of production time for this than he did TFA! three months less time to make the penultimate movie of the saga! they are just shoving these out the door, forcing directors to work quickly, when that is certainly not how the original films were made. Lucas spent years thinking about the stories of future entries, coming up with possibilities and rejecting them (and maybe keeping a few new ideas).

the new guys, they have to write it all quickly, thus the quality is lacking. the problem is not too many movies, it is that they give the guys making these movies way too little time to think things through. it's a wreckless and shortsighted way to make movies, probably chosen for financial reasons.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

its a fascinating story. The Secret History of Star Wars is the best text for this, it present a chronological storyline of the development of the series from the days when it was a whim he had while making American Graffiti.

it is interesting to see how it went through so many changes, how the characters changed dramatically from draft to draft, so many new ideas from all the different re-writes it took. at one point he was settled on remaking The Hidden Fortress and tried to purchase the rights to that, so the movie was patterned after that, and even if he changed things ultimately, it is part of the backbone, the history of the storytelling. the process going into that first movie took more than 4 years. these days, they are given 2.

the new guys, they are sent off running at the races. JJ has said it is literally a race to finish this movie. he has 3 months less of production time for this than he did TFA! three months less time to make the penultimate movie of the saga! they are just shoving these out the door, forcing directors to work quickly, when that is certainly not how the original films were made. Lucas spent years thinking about the stories of future entries, coming up with possibilities and rejecting them (and maybe keeping a few new ideas).

the new guys, they have to write it all quickly, thus the quality is lacking. the problem is not too many movies, it is that they give the guys making these movies way too little time to think things through. it's a wreckless and shortsighted way to make movies, probably chosen for financial reasons.

Makes you wonder how the hell Kevin Feige does it with the MCU. I mean, say what you wll about he quality of those movies. At least they're able to come out at a consistent range of quality and doesn't derail the franchise by alienating the fans (except Captain Marvel, I hated that film).

Either because the Marvel Universe is easier to adapt onscreen because of 50 years worth of material, or because Kevin Feige is that good a producer and is able to find that right talent for a specific property. In comparison Kennedy has fired a lot of creative talent from Star Wars while granting one complete creative control (Rian Johnson), and well, you saw the result.

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Get a team of fat dudes feed them
burgers and pizza and sushi and chocolate/coffee and let the men write !!! They'll have some good material in a couple months guaranteed. :messenger_fistbump:

element

I don’t understand how some people can be paid so much to fail so badly.
How has she failed? SW films have generated nearly $5 BILLION since she took over.

If they did use EU/Legend stories, most people would still be pissed. They are in a loss/loss scenario with all the fans making a stink.

Don't like it? find something else and move on. There is tons of quality content between movies and TV to spend your energy on, but people rather bitch and blame about it.

Makes you wonder how the hell Kevin Feige does it with the MCU. I mean, say what you wll about he quality of those movies. At least they're able to come out at a consistent range of quality and doesn't derail the franchise by alienating the fans (except Captain Marvel, I hated that film).

Either because the Marvel Universe is easier to adapt onscreen because of 50 years worth of material, or because Kevin Feige is that good a producer and is able to find that right talent for a specific property. In comparison Kennedy has fired a lot of creative talent from Star Wars while granting one complete creative control (Rian Johnson), and well, you saw the result.
I think this is why shes mentioning "no source material" for star wars, kinda throwing marvel under the bus like feige has it on easy street because...he has old comics to base his movies on?

I dunno. I hate how Disney's response to failure anymore is just excuse.
After excuse.
After excuse.
With little to no responsibility taken for their own personal failures.

I dont really think marvel movies are all that great but they are goddamned works of art compared to the shitshow star wars has been since disney took the reigns.

I hate to call for people losing their jobs online but yeah, kennedy has had what, like 5 shots at this so far? I dont care if she still works there, but goddamn, give someone else the reigns.

How has she failed? SW films have generated nearly $5 BILLION since she took over.

If they did use EU/Legend stories, most people would still be pissed. They are in a loss/loss scenario with all the fans making a stink.

Don't like it? find something else and move on. There is tons of quality content between movies and TV to spend your energy on, but people rather bitch and blame about it.
Oh yeah, money.
The TRUE mark of success.

And avatar is the third best movie in the world, right, next to joker and endgame? Ever? Because of money?

When you make a movie, you have to succeed in more than the financial sense. You also have to tell a story that is...ya know...good?

element

Oh yeah, money.
The TRUE mark of success.
Yeah. For a President of an entertainment group who makes tent poll projects, money is the #1 measure of success. Like or dislike the stories they are telling, they are working from the simple goal of making an entertainment product that is profitable.

LucasFilm isn't A24.

In comparison Kennedy has fired a lot of creative talent from Star Wars while granting one complete creative control (Rian Johnson), and well, you saw the result.
The only legit firing was Lord/Miller from Solo, which had less to do with Kennedy and more to do with writer Lawrence Kasdan not liking them going off-script. Also Abrams had total control over TFA and Rise.

Yeah. For a President of an entertainment group who makes tent poll projects, money is the #1 measure of success. Like or dislike the stories they are telling, they are working from the simple goal of making an entertainment product that is profitable.
Yeah.....ever think that that's part of the problem and why they cant tell a story that's worth a damn anymore?

But hur-dur, look at all that MONEYZ!!!

element

Yeah.....ever think that that's part of the problem and why they cant tell a story that's worth a damn anymore?
According to who? That is totally subjective. You don't like the stories they are telling, but others do. Honestly, the majority of people don't care as it entertained them for better or worse when they saw the movie. For ever person waiting for a midnight showing in full cosplay, there are 100 that just like seeing ships explode and eating popcorn.

If it upsets you, move on. There is enough quality content to spend your time with.

Also I don't see Kennedy listed as writer on any of the Star Wars movies. TFA was co-written by Kasdan who wrote Empire and Jedi, who was lead writer on Solo. So the person that has been writing Star Wars sucks at telling Star Wars stories?

Last edited:
According to who? That is totally subjective. You don't like the stories they are telling, but others do. Honestly, the majority of people don't care as it entertained them for better or worse when they saw the movie. For ever person waiting for a midnight showing in full cosplay, there are 100 that just like seeing ships explode and eating popcorn.

If it upsets you, move on. There is enough quality content to spend your time with.

Also I don't see Kennedy listed as writer on any of the Star Wars movies. TFA was co-written by Kasdan who wrote Empire and Jedi, who was lead writer on Solo. So the person that has been writing Star Wars sucks at telling Star Wars stories?
I can criticize as well as enjoy something as well and NOT enjoy something and not have to "move on". I am not upset, I just think the movies suck and am allowed to Express that sentiment without being told to 'hush'.

See, this is a major problem in fandom anymore. The fans think they have the authority to tell people who dislike what they like to bugger off and shut up, when, in actuality, it's you who should probably shut it.

Think about it.
You like what star wars is right now.
I dont.
You dont HAVE to listen to me.
YOU can move on and never have to hear me or others who share my opinion, though it would be ignorant to act as if these people dont exist past that, but hey, that's up to you.

I, on the other hand, have issues with this franchise and go online to talk to others about it. Dont like it? Dont participate.

Edit: as it stands, I dont mind if you keep talking but how about you stop suggesting what I should or shouldn't watch based on what I perceive as failures in storytelling?

And also, OBVIOUSLY I am speculating. I am not a disney insider.

Last edited:

GV82

Get em Sophie, a man can post a intelligent response to them but they’ll get screeched over because they are talking to men haters, instead of being acceptable to an open debate, sadly most will argue & fight Sophie too,
Most of these are a lost cause they have gone too far up their own ass they will never return.

But it might, just might resonate with at least one out there, it’s all it takes, one who will suddenly realise, ooh fuck she (Sophie) may be right and she’s a woman, but then if she can reach a few more too and give them the jolt of realisation that they too have been twattish about it we’ll have a few less of them in this world.

Get em Sophie, a man can post a intelligent response to them but they’ll get screeched over because they are talking to men haters, instead of being acceptable to an open debate, sadly most will argue & fight Sophie too,
Most of these are a lost cause they have gone too far up their own ass they will never return.

But it might, just might resonate with at least one out there, it’s all it takes, one who will suddenly realise, ooh fuck she (Sophie) may be right and she’s a woman, but then if she can reach a few more too and give them the jolt of realisation that they too have been twattish about it we’ll have a few less of them in this world.
New word of the day: Twattish

Thank you sir!!

element

I am not upset, I just think the movies suck and am allowed to Express that sentiment without being told to 'hush'.
I'm perfectly fine with people expressing their criticism. You don't like the films. Great. You would like to see someone else leading the franchise. Sure. I don't even disagree with that. What is disappointing and honestly disgusting are people in this thread and all over the internet saying that she must give good oral sex for her to be in her position.

I personally don't understand the "complain with the hope they will change it". That just takes a lot of energy. If you don't like it, don't see it. You joke about money, but that is the only way things change. And with the failure of Solo and to a certain degree Rogue One, Disney changed plans moving forward. But if it makes you feel better to go online and rant. Go ahead.

This 'blame Kennedy' narrative is riddled with misogynistic overtones when someone like Kasdan is still deeply involved with the movies. This just shows that building in a franchise that has deep emotional connection to people is extremely challenging because no one will be happy.

Last edited:
I'm perfectly fine with people expressing their criticism. You don't like the films. Great. You would like to see someone else leading the franchise. Sure. I don't even disagree with that. What is disappointing and honestly disgusting are people in this thread and all over the internet saying that she must give good oral sex for her to be in her position.

I personally don't understand the "complain with the hope they will change it". That just takes a lot of energy. If you don't like it, don't see it. You joke about money, but that is the only way things change. And with the failure of Solo and to a certain degree Rogue One, Disney changed plans moving forward. But if it makes you feel better to go online and rant. Go ahead.

This 'blame Kennedy' narrative is riddled with misogynistic overtones when someone like Kasdan is still deeply involved with the movies. This just shows that building in a franchise that has deep emotional connection to people is extremely challenging because no one will be happy.
Well, I agree with you on the misogyny. I can promise you none of what I feel is wrong with star wars has to do with Kathleen Kennedys gender, so at least know that when I complain about star wars or the way it's being handled, im being genuine.

I also agree with you about taking issue with people saying she got her job by having sex. I dont mind a joke or two, but if you look at the beginning of the thread, I do try to tell someone who seems to be GENUINELY saying she got to where she is by fucking that there is absolutely no merit to that claim.

Money is not the only way things change. Sometimes, things change because they have to, not just because it will turn a higher profit.

I'm...struggling to come up with examples at the moment but yeah, it totally happens lol.

But no, if she keeps making stuff like the mandalorian, consider me happy. As is, I'm just hoping even that show can stick the landing.

Last edited:

element

Money is not the only way things change. Sometimes, things change because they have to, not just because it will turn a higher profit.
There are likely other ways, but honestly money is the biggest thing that leads to change when you are at that level.

It is clear that the failure of Solo caused tons of meetings on what to do because it loss money. While there was likely discussions about TLJ, those meetings probably had a very different tone as it was still profitable.

Again, I'm all for heated debate on the story, liking or disliking characters and their arc. I'm just tired of this pitchfork mob jumping hating an individual. Sadly watching anything related to Star Wars positive or negative fills my entire suggested feed with "Kennedy should die!" or "Rian is a fag who can't spell his name right and ruined Star Wars".

There are likely other ways, but honestly money is the biggest thing that leads to change when you are at that level.

It is clear that the failure of Solo caused tons of meetings on what to do because it loss money. While there was likely discussions about TLJ, those meetings probably had a very different tone as it was still profitable.

Again, I'm all for heated debate on the story, liking or disliking characters and their arc. I'm just tired of this pitchfork mob jumping hating an individual. Sadly watching anything related to Star Wars positive or negative fills my entire suggested feed with "Kennedy should die!" or "Rian is a fag who can't spell his name right and ruined Star Wars".
Fair enough.

I still say the focus on money may be the undoing of star wars, with the focus of making money reportedly leading to hundreds of millions of dollars of episode 9 reshoots that supposedly CONTINUE TO THIS DAY.

It's time for them to buy little wwgd (what would george do?) bracelets. For better or worse, Lucas at least gave a damn more about creative integrity than ruining his legacy for a buck. It may even just be his ego as a film maker but whatever it was, even with all the jar jars and ships made just to sell a toy, he never just pumped shit out to make stockholders happy.

Last edited:

element

But no, if she keeps making stuff like the mandalorian, consider me happy. As is, I'm just hoping even that show can stick the landing.
I think all of LucasFilm and Disney learned a lot from the issues and failures of Rogue One and Solo. Kennedy spent the majority of her career working with established directors and writers who know how to handle themselves during development and production. Rumors were that Edwards was over his head on Rogue and Lord/Miller were more improvisational than they were comfortable with. With The Mandalorian you have a Disney Legend with Favreau as writer/producer and Dave Filoni a fan favorite, who have proven track records from pre-production to end product.

If there is one thing I don't understand is Kennedy approving a trilogy without a framework/outline script. Hearing that each director had nearly entire control just feels really strange and it shows in the end product.

I still say the focus on money may be the undoing of star wars, with the focus of making money reportedly leading to hundreds of millions of dollars of episode 9 reshoots that supposedly CONTINUE TO THIS DAY.
Well i think that is more of point of no return for return on investment. When you are $200m in, spending another $50m is something you just do in the attempt to save it. I've seen similar behavior in games. As stupid as it sounds, it is easier to get a $100m budget over a $10m budget.

Lokimaru

Disney couldn't even make Tron a thing as Awesome as it was so why did people think they could handle Star Wars?
TRON_30_x_40_Movie_Poster_-_Framed_720x@2x.JPG
open-uri20150422-12561-shkv7_095acb01.jpeg
zCsXC7kTtB4eACbloNCkPdnkr7F.jpg

They freaking Buried Uprising on Disney XD and that show was Awesome. All I'm saying is If you can't keep your own house in order don't go buying new ones cause your just going to trash them too.

Disney seems to have a Problem with Sci-Fi which is weird cause Walt was always ahead of his time.
I heard they are trying to remake this.
V.I.N.CENT : There are three basic types, Mr. Pizer: the Wills, the Won'ts, and the Can'ts. The Wills accomplish everything, the Won'ts oppose everything, and the Can'ts won't try anything.

desertdroog

Disney couldn't even make Tron a thing as Awesome as it was so why did people think they could handle Star Wars?
TRON_30_x_40_Movie_Poster_-_Framed_720x@2x.JPG
open-uri20150422-12561-shkv7_095acb01.jpeg
zCsXC7kTtB4eACbloNCkPdnkr7F.jpg

They freaking Buried Uprising on Disney XD and that show was Awesome. All I'm saying is If you can't keep your own house in order don't go buying new ones cause your just going to trash them too.

Disney seems to have a Problem with Sci-Fi which is weird cause Walt was always ahead of his time.
I heard they are trying to remake this.
V.I.N.CENT : There are three basic types, Mr. Pizer: the Wills, the Won'ts, and the Can'ts. The Wills accomplish everything, the Won'ts oppose everything, and the Can'ts won't try anything.
Tron: Uprising was better than it had any business being, they turned Tron into an actual world and also had a good story. I am not sure why the Tron: Legacy movie was so..middling, as far as a cohesive story. The second movie was flashy and neato, but it wasn't gripping as one would expect a sci-fi movie in this vein should have been.

ZehDon

Gold Member
How has she failed? SW films have generated nearly $5 BILLION since she took over....
I'm all for peacing out and enjoying things for what they are, but I've got to step in here. Straight up - Kathleen Kennedy has failed in every quantifiable manner. And I'm not exaggerating - pick a metric through which one might use to measure her success, and it shows she has outright failed.

Disney spent US$4 billion dollars buying one the largest entertainment properties of all time... to make US$1 billion in profits? The film budgets alone eat that, and that's not including the marketing that would put them in the red. Now, of course, as we all well quite know, the real money in Star Wars is the merchandising. Except Kennedy also managed to kill that golden goose, with Star Wars now showing its lowest toy sales since 2004. It turns out, if you make shitty movies, you don't sell many toys. The story group Kennedy created, and whose leader she hand-picked, whose sole job was to guide Star Wars into its new era, is now being systematically dismantled. They took an ever-green franchise that survived 40 years strong and they ran it into the fucking ground.

After Rian Johnson basically ruined the trilogy - and fans believe killed the entire franchise - and Solo bombed hard at the Box Office (the first Star Wars to ever do so), Kennedy handled the situation by basically asking Abrams - the guy responsible for the record breaking first entry - to do her a solid and wrap up their story... and he's just flying by the seat of his pants trying to not fuck it up. That's not the move of a person who's succeeding, whose making her company money, keeping the fans of her property happy, and setting up her brand for long term success.

Kathleen Kennedy took the greatest film property in the history of the medium, and she killed 40 years of good will, loyalty and love, to sell shit no one cares about. And I don't mean the bullshit "The Force is Female" image cop out that actually isn't even about Star Wars. No, I mean the stuff everyone loved about Star Wars for forty years until she came along: the characters, the story, the worlds, the costumes, the props, the dialog - the entire Star Wars universe. Kennedy is in charge of it all, and she failed. And instead of stepping up and owning your mistake like an adult - like Elizabeth Banks did when Charlie's Angels straight up bombed - Disney and their media arms are trying to blame everyone else. Kathleen Kennedy - and no one else - failed Star Wars.

GreyHorace

I'm all for peacing out and enjoying things for what they are, but I've got to step in here. Straight up - Kathleen Kennedy has failed in every quantifiable manner. And I'm not exaggerating - pick a metric through which one might use to measure her success, and it shows she has outright failed.

Disney spent US$4 billion dollars buying one the largest entertainment properties of all time... to make US$1 billion in profits? The film budgets alone eat that, and that's not including the marketing that would put them in the red. Now, of course, as we all well quite know, the real money in Star Wars is the merchandising. Except Kennedy also managed to kill that golden goose, with Star Wars now showing its lowest toy sales since 2004. It turns out, if you make shitty movies, you don't sell many toys. The story group Kennedy created, and whose leader she hand-picked, whose sole job was to guide Star Wars into its new era, is now being systematically dismantled. They took an ever-green franchise that survived 40 years strong and they ran it into the fucking ground.

After Rian Johnson basically ruined the trilogy - and fans believe killed the entire franchise - and Solo bombed hard at the Box Office (the first Star Wars to ever do so), Kennedy handled the situation by basically asking Abrams - the guy responsible for the record breaking first entry - to do her a solid and wrap up their story... and he's just flying by the seat of his pants trying to not fuck it up. That's not the move of a person who's succeeding, whose making her company money, keeping the fans of her property happy, and setting up her brand for long term success.

Kathleen Kennedy took the greatest film property in the history of the medium, and she killed 40 years of good will, loyalty and love, to sell shit no one cares about. And I don't mean the bullshit "The Force is Female" image cop out that actually isn't even about Star Wars. No, I mean the stuff everyone loved about Star Wars for forty years until she came along: the characters, the story, the worlds, the costumes, the props, the dialog - the entire Star Wars universe. Kennedy is in charge of it all, and she failed. And instead of stepping up and owning your mistake like an adult - like Elizabeth Banks did when Charlie's Angels straight up bombed - Disney and their media arms are trying to blame everyone else. Kathleen Kennedy - and no one else - failed Star Wars.
That's why I'm glad Marvel has Kevin Feige in charge. He loves the Marvel Universe and knows how best to adapt it for both film and tv. There are some hints of social justice leaking through (Black Panther and Captain Marvel), but for the most part he's not letting it take over the brand (unlike in the comics division). God help Marvel if they ever lose him.

Star Wars desperately needs a figure like Kevin Feige in charge.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
LOL do u realize nobody in this thread has actually said either of those things? certainly it isn't the aim of this thread. IMO neither should die but both should fuck off.

besides, these are massively rich people producing hugely popular entertainment products. if they can't handle criticism then they should not be marketing to so many people. this is just a single thread on a message board. this is pretty light criticism. you are acting like there is "a pitchfork mob". no. im pointing out a dumb thing she said in an interview.

she can give an interview telling millions of people X, Y, and Z, i can post a thread on a message board that will be read by maybe 50 people at the most. seems like a pretty reasonable division of power to me!

furthermore, i am sick of people acting like there is something wrong with having a problem with a movie. no, i have the right to complain. i bought the ticket to see The Last Jedi. im not messaging the filmmakers or sending death threats. i earned the right to say whatever the fuck i want. we all did, there are people who have lived with this franchise for nearly 40 years, you have to be entitled as hell to want them to all just never talk about this for the rest of their lives so that you can enjoy your thing entirely free of criticism. if you want to enjoy one of the most popular IP in the world, sorry but YOU have to get over it, you will be hearing people complain about it. that's just a fact you will need to live with. sorry, not everyone on the planet can all see the same way.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
This 'blame Kennedy' narrative is riddled with misogynistic overtones when someone like Kasdan is still deeply involved with the movies.
Kasdan has actually jumped ship and is "done with Star Wars" he said "the studio blew it" about dropping the ball on Solo.

ill admit there is some misogyny that can be found on the internet, but to say everyone dissatisfied with the leadership is a sexist is absurd.

Last edited:

gatti-man

Kasdan has actually jumped ship and is "done with Star Wars" he said "the studio blew it" about dropping the ball on Solo.

ill admit there is some misogyny that can be found on the internet, but to say everyone dissatisfied with the leadership is a sexist is absurd.

If he wrote solo then I’m glad he’s gone because the script was absolute trash. However if he means he had a script and Disney made him change it and therefore blew it then that honestly makes more sense from the man who worked on empire and Jedi.

Nymphae

Banned
If he wrote solo then I’m glad he’s gone because the script was absolute trash

I haven't seen that and never plan to, but I did hear about the bit where they explain how Han got his last name.

Spoilers below for this mindblowing piece of CANON

The origin of Han Solo’s name has long been a mystery.

Has it though?

There have been plenty of theories, including some pretty wild ones...

Have there been though?

... but Solo: A Star Wars Story finally puts the theories to rest and tells the real story of how Han Solo got his name.

FINALLY

In 2017, Disney CEO Bob Iger let it slip during a lecture at the University of Southern California that the movie would reveal how Han got his name, confirming that Han Solo isn’t actually the character's real name

EXPECTATIONS? SUBVERTED

One of the most plausible Han Solo fan theories was that the scruffy-looking nerf herder gave himself the cool sounding last name to solidify his former lone wolf status, or that it was actually Ren

I think the most plausible theory, given that we live in a universe of Skywalkers, Palpatines, Chewbaccas, and Obi Wan Kenobi's is that Solo is just another fucking weird name in this universe. We did not need a backstory for this name. But ok, you want to do that? Fine, what do you got?

Turns out, his name’s origin story isn’t as elaborate as many fans believed it would be. The reveal comes early on in Solo, when Han tries to escape with Qi’ra. A guard finds out that he doesn’t have a last name and points out that Han has no people and is alone, dubbing him “Solo.”

Amazing.

Atrus

Gold Member

Even if you looked at it from a business standpoint, the first instalment grossed over $2B worldwide with the second achieving barely half.

Rogue One broke a billion with Solo a third of that.

This is a multi-billion dollar per instalment franchise that is being underserved and it is precisely because those leading it have no clue.

I’ve already moved on myself but it does not make this new trilogy of shit acceptable and much of it has to do with the “Kill the past” and “force is female” type of impositioning on the narrative.

In one month: cue Episode IX making far more money than it should and being heralded as "the best of the trilogy" and "a satisfying conclusion" by the woke critics, while the film itself turns out to be a ridiculous mess, and Favreau eventually takes over Roundhead's "trilogy" to make the best Star Wars film since Rogue One.

Top Bottom