• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kathleen Kennedy's Lucasfilm Deal Extended for Three Years

pel1300

Luke was dangled on a carrot. That isn’t what I call character development. I don’t find TLJ as terrible as others but Luke could have been done better. Hopefully he comes back in 9 like Old Ben Kenobi did in Empire and Jedi.

No no no no no no no..........that is way too predictable and boring. He has to come back and kick ass. His bullshit death scene left enough room for a slight retcon so that we can see him display amazing power. TFA teased him as the macguffin that would be the game changer....not as a hologram to stall time for a couple minutes for 14 people to escape.

That is NOT fan fiction....that is the logical progression from what we saw in ROTJ.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
No no no no no no no..........that is way too predictable and boring. He has to come back and kick ass. His bullshit death scene left enough room for a slight retcon so that we can see him display amazing power. TFA teased him as the macguffin that would be the game changer....not as a hologram to stall time for a couple minutes for 14 people to escape.

That is NOT fan fiction....that is the logical progression from what we saw in ROTJ.
Makes you wonder why the First Order was even looking for him...

#Phonepunk#

Banned

it doesn't matter because they don't think that far in advance. they just had the visual of Luke standing on a cliff, that was all they had to go on, they did absolutely nothing with it. Hamill asked JJ for backstory, none was given. he asked RJ and got the same answer. Hamill will learn Luke's backstory the same way we all will, by buying an officially marketed comic/novel tie in or whatever.

whatever reason you can think of to justify the actions occuring in these movies matters not. they are not planned out, everything that happens outside of the text, until it is commodified, is your head canon. what's worse, "head canon" itself is a bad word now, because having an imagination is no longer encouraged. if TLJ proved anything it's that whatever you come up with, the next movie can entirely ignore and will just pull something out of it's ass and make fun of you for attempting to join in the storytelling.

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned
it doesn't matter because they don't think that far in advance.
Considering it was the central plot element of Episode 7, you'd think there'd be some reasoning there established... just bad writing all around in this new trilogy. I don't know whether I should be scared or excited for 9...

Catphish

Considering it was the central plot element of Episode 7, you'd think there'd be some reasoning there established... just bad writing all around in this new trilogy. I don't know whether I should be scared or excited for 9...
Might I recommend 'indifferent'...

cryptoadam

Banned
I honestly don’t think Kathleen Kennedy, who is a producing legend, deserves the amount of vitriol directed to her.

The real problem is that Disney simply played it as safe as possible going with someone as “blah” as JJ to manage the creative side of it. This is an intentionally broad choice that has paid off for the most part.

Disney has probably made their money back by now and they have an internatinallly palletable franchise.

They could not pick someone better than Kennedy to manage the business end of it. She’s doing fine.

I agree she is a producing legend, but the business side is actually not fine. Ep 8 and Solo were huge drops from Ep 7 and RO. Re shoots out the wazoo. Direcetors leaving projects. Giving RJ a "trilogy" after the disaster of Ep 8, and now that trilogy is probably cancelled. If they paid RJ up front more sunk costs.

If anything KK is probably costing Disney and arm and a leg and if things continue on this downward trend the ROI on Star Wars is not going to become a net loss. If Ep 9 underperfroms then its big trouble. Once Ep 9 is done thats it for nostalgia OT to leech off of. Then it will have to be all original films. And if those new properties start bombing its going to look really bad.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i don't see any new material coming from them tbh. they don't have the imagination. they are stuck in this rut of doing OT stuff and constantly referring back to it. what little "new" that we have is "Adam Driver is Vader done different!" and "Rey is Luke done different!". same old templates, same old character archetypes.

imo as soon as they get rights to ANH they will announce an OT reboot. imo this has been Disney's long game and the reason why all the "sequel trilogy" movies are so fetishistic of the OT. TLJ was effectively an ad to hype up their most precious IP. TFA was about finding your Luke Skywalker toy, TLJ actually ends with a child playing with a toy pretending it is Luke. the series is basically paid advertising for itself.

Last edited:

pel1300

EDIT: Beaten by Catphish, LOL

Indifferent, apathetic - just like people were for Revenge of the Sith ....until theyn were surprised by how dark and cool the trailer looked and got excited again........but w/ wise and tempered expectations...

and then we got the least awful prequel......so most people were happy because Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones set the bar so low that they made Revenge of the Sith look like Citizen Kane,

Last edited:

pel1300

i don't see any new material coming from them tbh. they don't have the imagination. they are stuck in this rut of doing OT stuff and constantly referring back to it. what little "new" that we have is "Adam Driver is Vader done different!" and "Rey is Luke done different!". same old templates, same old character archetypes.

imo as soon as they get rights to ANH they will announce an OT reboot. imo this has been Disney's long game and the reason why all the "sequel trilogy" movies are so fetishistic of the OT. TLJ was effectively an ad to hype up their most precious IP. TFA was about finding your Luke Skywalker toy, TLJ actually ends with a child playing with a toy pretending it is Luke. the series is basically paid advertising for itself.

Seriously, the lack of imagination is baffling. redlettermedia's reviews of the prequels made people go "Wow....they make good points" and I think it's because the prequels, despite their obvious flaws, had imagination. TLJ, however, is so thinly veiled that it just takes one or two viewings for people to understand how flawed the script is.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
giphy.gif

BANGS

Banned
EDIT: Beaten by Catphish, LOL

Indifferent, apathetic - just like people were for Revenge of the Sith ....until theyn were surprised by how dark and cool the trailer looked and got excited again........but w/ wise and tempered expectations...

and then we got the least awful prequel......so most people were happy because Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones set the bar so low that they made Revenge of the Sith look like Citizen Kane,
I personally loved all the prequels and was excited for each one. No question they were objectively awful movies with bad acting, writing, and plot... But purple lightsabers going zew zew clash and podracing and droid army's and count dooku and shit man... I'm a sucker for all that... The only part of the trilogy that I find truly awful is the middle of episode 2 with all the awkward anakin/padme shit...

Kenpachii

The series has been ruined already for ages now. It's a running joke at this point.

It's fun flick other then that not much else.

prag16

Banned
5 > 4 > RO >> 3 > 6 > Solo >>> 7 > 8 > 2 > 1

I used to rank 7 a couple slots higher, until 8 retroactively made it worse by shitting all over 98% of the potential setup. I loved Rogue One; it's the only very good entry from the Disney era.

What do we have on tap after 9? GoT guys trilogy, Rian trilogy (I'm not as down on this as some; he fucked up the main line, but given his own sandbox elsewhere he can possibly do good things), Obi Wan (rumored), and Fett (rumored)? Please don't fuck up the Obi Wan one. That's the only "A Star Wars Story" I ever really felt was necessary.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
the Obi Wan thing is funny cos the first post-Star Wars material ever teased, before ESB was even written, was the Young Days of Ben Kenobi. before it was a 12 film saga or a 9 film saga or even a trilogy, the prequel adventures hinted at in ANH's "Clone Wars" speech was suggested as a possibility. this eventually turned into the prequel trilogy and the focus shifted from Obi Wan to Vader as the trilogy's narrative changed to match current marketing.

they've been teasing a young Obi Wan movie for 40 years. heck, we got 3 movies of it and people are still asking for more.

SW films are beyond quality at this point, people just need the fix.

Last edited:

dionysus

Yaldog
I'd give up on Kennedy. Allowing such disparate visions for what is supposed to be a cohesive trilogy is a big mistake. And the financial performance gives enough evidence of real world failure.

Rian Johnson, I can see enough merit hidden in TLJ, to be ok with a trilogy separate from the mainline. I think he needs to collaborate with a good writer versed in fundamental story structure though.

I know Feige has made different directors and different visions work, but Kennedy is not Feige and the stories they are trying to tell in SW are not as isolated from each other as the stories Marvel has historically told. Unfortunately, I think the Marvel formula is successful based on a few key people and replicating it without changes is impossible without those key people.

I actually like parts of the Stories film model, but I think they should break from needing to directly tie-in to the main trilogies somehow. A New Hope was modeled after pulpy sci-fi stories. The adventure was supposed to stand alone without needing to understand the broader universe and history, and it was clearly conceived with only a bare bones idea of the original trilogies story arc. Go back to that. If one of the stories films is a huge hit, then invest in sequels and trilogies. Let the creators start fresh, obviously in the same universe and in the same genre, and see what they can produce.

prag16

Banned
Assuming "a study shows" really means "tales from the ass of some agenda driven identity politics think tank".

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
How is that ruining the franchise? I don't really find any big SJW narrative there. That doesn't even come to my mind when thinking about bad things in these new movies.

Because there isn't any. The last Director sadly decided to change the direction of the franchise for reasons unknown and that messed things up going forward. Kathleen shouldn't have allowed him to make those changes.

BANGS

Banned
Because there isn't any. The last Director sadly decided to change the direction of the franchise for reasons unknown and that messed things up going forward. Kathleen shouldn't have allowed him to make those changes.
There certainly is an SJW narrative in the film, but personally I think it's only a fraction of what ruined the movie and not even close to being the movie's real problem...

mckmas8808

There certainly is an SJW narrative in the film, but personally I think it's only a fraction of what ruined the movie and not even close to being the movie's real problem...

I love seeing a person like you say this. Thanks for being honest. This post I can agree with.

mckmas8808

Now please return the favor moving forward lmfao

Funny enough even though we disagree A LOT, I respect your opinion more than you probably realize. Just the fact that you can see the faults of the so-called "other side" means a lot in my book and you've called them out. In the same way I feel like just because somebody doesn't like Kathleen Kenndy, doesn't mean they are a Nazi or a sexist. She's proven to not handle this franchise that well after seeing the last 2 movies.

pel1300

On resetera the posters are saying all kinds of nonsense like "yes this was obvious" or "this proves that the movie was a masterpiece...the fact that Russia would do this to a MOVIE!"

And yes.......I am not joking.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned

imo the problem isn't so much that there are women and poc in Star Wars now, it's that there was in the past and they have to erase that past in order to make it seem like Disney is doing something new. they have to rewrite history, hence "George Lucas was a racist, Leia and Lando actually didn't save everyone in ESB, in fact, ESB would have gotten trashed". the current trend of proving yourself right not by actually being good, but by proving other people wrong. it is as if they use SJW marketing as a smokescreen to cover up any and all controversy.

it's an easy win. if you blog articles for a living, you can write it in your sleep, you don't even need to revisit the film itself. it requires zero critical thought. if any cultural critics actually gave a shit about minority representation, they would have commented on Finn being profiled as a cowardly traitor and then tasered as a joke, that there is finally a central black lead character in SW who somehow has no agency at all the entire movie, that he learns about slavery not from his stormtrooper past but from watching some chimney sweep Disney slave kids. how important is he, really? the movie just tosses him around from plot point to plot point. he doesn't even have a real name - he was given one by the unquestioned great white hope Poe Dameron. in truth there is a lot that is actually fucked up about Disney's politics, it is obvious they are doing the token thing as some kind of cynical marketing ploy. best to keep the media focused on alt right trolls, their favorite topic.

Last edited:

Gander

Banned
As long as the lesson is learned, I don't care. They would do well to get fan feed back though for the next trilogy. Guillermo del toro, Peter Jackson or Sam Raimi would be my picks.

mckmas8808

imo the problem isn't so much that there are women and poc in Star Wars now, it's that there was in the past and they have to erase that past in order to make it seem like Disney is doing something new. they have to rewrite history, hence "George Lucas was a racist, Leia and Lando actually didn't save everyone in ESB, in fact, ESB would have gotten trashed". the current trend of proving yourself right not by actually being good, but by proving other people wrong. it is as if they use SJW marketing as a smokescreen to cover up any and all controversy.

it's an easy win. if you blog articles for a living, you can write it in your sleep, you don't even need to revisit the film itself. it requires zero critical thought. if any cultural critics actually gave a shit about minority representation, they would have commented on Finn being profiled as a cowardly traitor and then tasered as a joke, that there is finally a central black lead character in SW who somehow has no agency at all the entire movie, that he learns about slavery not from his stormtrooper past but from watching some chimney sweep Disney slave kids. how important is he, really? the movie just tosses him around from plot point to plot point. he doesn't even have a real name - he was given one by the unquestioned great white hope Poe Dameron. in truth there is a lot that is actually fucked up about Disney's politics, it is obvious they are doing the token thing as some kind of cynical marketing ploy. best to keep the media focused on alt right trolls, their favorite topic.

I actually did hear people talk about that on a podcast. I didn't think about it, but afterward, it left a sour taste in my mouth on how they did Finn. It was wack.

royox

Hope. With Luke alive any rebel alliance would have Hope. Hope that he would help, hope that he would train more jedis.

Luke was a symbol for the whole galaxy. Killing him and making it public would literally destroy any rebellion. Also Snoke feared the Jedi and a possible return of Jedis trained by Luke.

pel1300

Hope. With Luke alive any rebel alliance would have Hope. Hope that he would help, hope that he would train more jedis.

Luke was a symbol for the whole galaxy. Killing him and making it public would literally destroy any rebellion. Also Snoke feared the Jedi and a possible return of Jedis trained by Luke.

and yet he had nothing to fear...

Woulda been funny to see The First Order actually find Luke...and then Snoke goes: "Wow..this is just pathetic....no, don't kill him..that would be too easy for him...let him wither away on this boring island...what big fuckin waste of time and resources..okay we can go destroy the Resistance now and show the whole Galaxy this video footage of how pitiful their so called symbol of hope has become"

royox

and yet he had nothing to fear...

Wasn't that the point?

>Resitance thought Luke was hidding from the first order and waiting for the Resistance to come
>The first order Thought Luke was hidding AND plotting something against them with the helping of the first order
>While Luke was just there chillin' and not giving a fuck about Snoke, The First order or the Resistance

pel1300

Wasn't that the point?

>Resitance thought Luke was hidding from the first order and waiting for the Resistance to come
>The first order Thought Luke was hidding AND plotting something against them with the helping of the first order
>While Luke was just there chillin' and not giving a fuck about Snoke, The First order or the Resistance

I don't think that was really the point. It was what it was. I just feel that Rian was so focused on shocking us every 15 minutes that he lost sight of the fact that adventure tales aimed at people of all ages are meant to be....entertaining.....and yes, you can make them entertaining and dark at the same time.

I mean really, it makes more sense for Luke to have just offed himself. Him demonstrating the physical and mental capacity to have the daily routine he showed us doesn't line up w/ his "I'm suicidal" message.

#Phonepunk#

Banned

Luke as a symbol of hope is what they were going for in TLJ. i buy that, whether it was the same plotline they used in TFA, i don't think so. at any rate in essence he is symbolically taking Leia's place in ANH. Leia was a hologram carrying "the only hope", vital intel against the Empire, and in that moment she inspired Luke, who had literally moments ago complained about never getting to do anything fun or have adventures. they tried the same thing here, Luke as a hologram to inspire the rebels, but like all the other pieces of TLJ that are just retrofitted plots from older movies, it's sloppy storytelling covered up through lampshading.

the main problem is that TFA exists and likely had a completely different plot trajectory. we know Rey already knows about Luke cos when she is gushing over Han and the Force she talks about Luke. so people already know about Luke and the force and stuff. she is playing with an x-wing fighter like 10 mins into the first movie. she supposedly grew up on a nothing planet with nobody parents but knows all about Luke already. people already know about Luke, the Force, etc. most characters in these new films act like they have seen the other movies. like a lot of the movie it only makes sense if you pretend none of the other films, including TFA, did any of the work and TLJ is inventing all this out of nothing.

Last edited:

royox

Luke as a symbol of hope is what they were going for in TLJ. i buy that, whether it was the same plotline they used in TFA, i don't think so. at any rate in essence he is symbolically taking Leia's place in ANH. Leia was a hologram carrying "the only hope", vital intel against the Empire, and in that moment she inspired Luke, who had literally moments ago complained about never getting to do anything fun or have adventures. they tried the same thing here, Luke as a hologram to inspire the rebels, but like all the other pieces of TLJ that are just retrofitted plots from older movies, it's sloppy storytelling covered up through lampshading.

the main problem is that TFA exists and likely had a completely different plot trajectory. we know Rey already knows about Luke cos when she is gushing over Han and the Force she talks about Luke. so people already know about Luke and the force and stuff. she is playing with an x-wing fighter like 10 mins into the first movie. she supposedly grew up on a nothing planet with nobody parents but knows all about Luke already. people already know about Luke, the Force, etc. most characters in these new films act like they have seen the other movies. like a lot of the movie it only makes sense if you pretend none of the other films, including TFA, did any of the work and TLJ is inventing all this out of nothing.

Sorry I don't know if today my english brain is all over the place but I don't understand how what you explained (correctly explained!) has anything to do with the First Order wanting to kill Luke because he's a symbol of Hope for the rebels.

pel1300

Star Wars novel and comics writer Chuck Wendig fired by Marvel for insulting Star Wars fans and being too "vulgar" and "political"

Wonder if Lucasfilm will start following this? They are in a bad sport these days.

Resetera are losing their minds over this...many of them talking about boycotting everything Marvel now.
0a22ef9a5035b097b3523b5e124fe848.png

Top Bottom