• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katie Holmes dropped from Batman Begins sequel because of Tom Cruise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crispin Glover could work because he's thin, creepy, and is at home with quirky, niche-type roles.

EDIT: If only I spent the last 15 minutes working on my time machine instead of posting on a messageboard...I might've been able to go back in time, sedate and kidnap a younger Jay Leno, then bring him to the future to play Joker in the new Batman.

Jay%20Leno.jpg

kneeling%20joker.jpg

border

ManaByte said:
I was just trying to point out how THAT would be the type of movie they would do if they were making one for the super hardcore fans who read the comics every month. They could combine Knightfall and the rise of the Tim Drake Robin and do a trilogy, but it'd cost way too much money and alienate everyone but the hardest core fans. Instead of bringing in Az-Bat for the second movie; they could use Robin, Nightwing, and Oracle. The third movie in the trilogy could be Bats and those three cleaning up the mess.
Yeah but at the end of the day, we're just talking about the inclusion of a popular character from the comics and cartoons.....not something as intricate and involved as playing out long-running storylines from the comics. It's not as though putting Harley in the film would shape the entire narrative in the same sense as adapting Knightfall. She's cool, but more or less just a bit player that can be established pretty quickly....it's not a whole arc that requires massive setup and the introduction of half a dozen new characters.

The more pressing problem would be "Who should play Harley Quinn?" Much like Hamill, I think the voice actress for her gave a pretty definitive performance and it'd be tough to find a big name that could match it properly.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
border said:
The more pressing problem would be "Who should play Harley Quinn?" Much like Hamill, I think the voice actress for her gave a pretty definitive performance and it'd be tough to find a big name that could match it properly.

Lost_Shannon_5.jpg

Her voice is prolly too deep though.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
you guys actually know who'd be a SWEET villain in these movies? He'll never get the chance just cuz his name isn't big enough, but Brent Spiner. He's the guy that played Data in Star Trek: TNG, but also has done a few really whacked out roles (like that doctor in ID4). I'd love to see him get interjected as a villain someday in one of these movies, cuz I have a feeling he could knock peoples socks off.

border

Brian Fellows said:
Lost_Shannon_5.jpg

Her voice is prolly too deep though.
Is this just because you think she's hot? On Lost I don't think she's really displayed any of the kind of abilities it'd take to play Harley Quinn.

whytemyke said:
you guys actually know who'd be a SWEET villain in these movies? He'll never get the chance just cuz his name isn't big enough, but Brent Spiner. He's the guy that played Data in Star Trek: TNG, but also has done a few really whacked out roles (like that doctor in ID4). I'd love to see him get interjected as a villain someday in one of these movies, cuz I have a feeling he could knock peoples socks off.

spiner.jpg

I wish he could get a big role other than star trek.

What the hell, people would probably nominate her for every role ever.

And the whole clayface/omgvoice problem. You know what'd solve that? Ditching this stupid live action stuff and making another animated batman.

Polari

Scarlett Johansson isn't hot or talented. Replacing Katie Holmes with her would be like trading in a Skoda for a Hyundai. That "The Island" film looks absolutely dreadful, as an aside.

Crispin Glover isn't right for the Joker. Don't get me wrong, I love him but I just think he's not right. He just doesn't have the right sort of manical side. Mark Hamill does though, he proved that to me with his Joker-esque character in "Jay and Silent Bob..." and with his voice work in the animated series. He's a vastly underrated actor, and at a good age for the role.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
DirtyHarry said:
Scarlett Johansson isn't hot or talented. Replacing Katie Holmes with her would be like trading in a Skoda for a Hyundai. That "The Island" film looks absolutely dreadful, as an aside.

Crispin Glover isn't right for the Joker. Don't get me wrong, I love him but I just think he's not right.He just doesn't have the right sort of manical side. Mark Hamill does though, he proved that to me with his Joker-esque character in "Jay and Silent Bob..." and with his voice work in the animated series. He's a vastly underrated actor, and at a good age for the role.

willard.jpg

"What did you say?"

hXc_thugg

DirtyHarry said:

Crispin Glover isn't right for the Joker. Don't get me wrong, I love him but I just think he's not right. He just doesn't have the right sort of manical side. Mark Hamill does though, he proved that to me with his Joker-esque character in "Jay and Silent Bob..." and with his voice work in the animated series. He's a vastly underrated actor, and at a good age for the role.

Sounds like Bizzaro Scarlett Johansson and Bizarro Cripsin Glover to me.

Error2k4 said:
crispin4.jpg

"What did you say?"

I'll say it again. Crispin Glover, Mark Hammil, and Tim Roth. I will accept them and no others. They should fight it out in a series of skill testing events to decide who gets the role.

Polari

Yeah, I'm a big Crispin fan, I've seen Willard ('cos he was in it) and I've seen the Letterman clip. He still doesn't seem right though.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
ManaByte said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joker_(comics)

The definitive origin and actual name for the character was never established in the comics (although some people now assume his real name is Jack Napier as in the 1989 Batman movie). In a 1951 story an origin was told in which he was originally a criminal who called himself the "Red Hood". In an encounter with Batman, he jumped into a pool of chemicals to escape pursuit, and this permanently dyed his skin white and his hair green, giving him the appearance of a ghastly clown. (In the light of later developments, it's worth noting that even in this story, the only source of information about who the Joker was before his fateful run-in with Batman is the Joker's own recollection)

This origin was greatly expanded upon in the 1988 graphic novel, Batman: The Killing Joke written by Alan Moore. In that story, the Joker was an unnamed engineer who quit his job at a chemical company to become a stand-up comedian, only to fail miserably. Desperate to support his pregnant wife, he agreed to guide two criminals into the plant for a robbery. During the planning, the police came and informed him that his wife had just died in a household accident. Grief-stricken, the engineer tried to withdraw from the plan, but the criminals strong-armed him into keeping his commitment to them.

At the plant, the criminals made him don a special mask to become the infamous Red Hood. Unknown to the engineer, this was simply a way to implicate any accomplice as the mastermind of a crime to divert attention from themselves. Once inside, they almost immediately blundered into security personnel and a violent shootout and chase ensued. The criminals were gunned down and the engineer found himself confronted by Batman, who was investigating the disturbance.

In panicked desperation, the engineer escaped by diving into a toxic waste vat and swam through a pipe leading to the outside. Once there, he discovered, to his horror, that the chemicals permanently stained his appearance into that of a clown-like being with chalk white skin, ruby red lips and bright green hair. This turn of events, compounded by the man's misfortunes on that one day, caused him to go completely insane and resulted in the birth of the Joker.

In a recent comic book (Batman: Gotham Knights #54 - 2004), it was heavily implied that much of the above origin was in fact true, with details of it being backed up by a witness to the death of the Joker's wife. In this version, however, his wife was kidnapped and murdered by those same gangsters, in order to force his cooperation in the Red Hood robbery. The witness was none other than Edward Nigma, who would eventually become the Riddler. Whether this revised origin is an improvement is a subject of debate.

In the short story "On a Beautiful Summer's Day, He Was" by Robert McCammon, featured in the anthology The Further Adventures of the Joker, the Joker is suggested to have been born a monster, not made one by bad luck. The story concerns him as a young boy who gets pleasure from killing small animals, considered the hallmark sign of a budding sociopath, and collecting their bones. The story notes that his father is also insane and, in a chilling scene, beats his mother while the boy listens through the wall, grinning. The end of the story has him graduating to murder, killing a neighborhood boy who discovers his makeshift graveyard. The story identifies the Joker's last name as Napier.

In "Best of All," another story in the anthology, the Joker murdered his abusive father as a child. His mother was revealed to be Batman's old friend and confidant Leslie Thompkins, which he revealed to Batman to torment him.

Any recountings of the Joker's origin are largely unreliable, however, as they are taken directly from his own memories, and as he himself puts it in The Killing Joke, "I'm not exactly sure what happened. Sometimes I remember it one way, sometimes another... If I'm going to have a past, it might as well be multiple choice!"

Whoa manabyte...that fucking deep dude! Let me ask you this....which one of these adaptations do you feel will make it in the next movie? I personally ejoyed reading about the first killing joke scenario

And for the record I think they should seriously bring back Jack Nicholson as the Joker

Brian Fellows said:
What are those pictures from?

Yes...I too would like to know.

maharg said:

*LAUGHING MY FUCKING BALLS OFF!!!!*

rollopa3yy.gif
rollopa3yy.gif
rollopa3yy.gif

About Scarlett Johanasson, IMDB says that she'll be playing what I assume to be Nina Myers' daughter (based on the name of the character) in the upcoming 5th season of 24. Is there any truth to that? Oh, and anyone that thinks she is not hot is blind... or gay.

Guzim

People need to find the video of Crispin Glover on David Letterman where he kicked Letterman :lol :lol :lol

shuri

Banned
Jesus!@

That video was insane. How old is this video? Man what the FUCK was up with Glover? I first thought he was joking, or is he? Is this part of a act? You guys need to check out the Willard making-of extra; he's really really intense and stuff.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
cvkpaladin said:
About Scarlett Johanasson, IMDB says that she'll be playing what I assume to be Nina Myers' daughter (based on the name of the character) in the upcoming 5th season of 24. Is there any truth to that? Oh, and anyone that thinks she is not hot is blind... or gay.

Jacks illegitimate love child? Oh please say its true.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Holy shit @ Crispin Glover. He was so far gone in that interview no one had any clue how to deal with it. Of course, not even an episode like that would prevent him from getting asked back several times.

Oh, and the video seems to be from 1986 if he's out promoting River's Edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom