• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katy Perry's Blackface Shoes

Nymphae

Banned
katy-perry-face-shoes-098.jpg

Pop star Katy Perry is pulling shoes from her fashion collection after the designs were called out for resembling blackface.

Two pairs in Perry’s eponymous shoe line, Katy Perry Collections, sparked controversy for what people are calling a racist design. The styles, “Rue Face Slip On Loafers” and “Ora Face Block Heel Sandals,” have a “face” on them with blue eyes, a triangular nose and full red lips.

They retailed for US$129.

The frustration isn’t just that the pieces evoke racist imagery but that they were created at all,one Twitter user commented.

If these companies hired more black people who would make them more aware of appropriation and racism, this stuff wouldn’t happen. It’s the lack of concern that is troubling.”

Some people highlighted that the shoes are offensive — period — but that the collection is especially tone-deaf during Black History Month

Some tweets:

Ok Katy Perry explain these shoes SMH #blackface #KatyPerry #gucci#gucciblackface #boycottpic.twitter.com/j0dswNOSoH

— ChantillyCoco (@ChantillyCoco) February 11, 2019

Regarding Katy Perry’s shoes; if you have to second guess whether a design is blackface/racist…it probably is. “Reaching” or not, information is too readily accessible for this to occur. #DoBetter

— Tia (@TiaHasTime) February 11, 2019
Katy Perry 'Blackface' Shoe to Be Pulled from Shelves

Ok, can we just make this a rule that ANY product, service or person that is NOT Black will NOT create, promote or apply any combination of BLACK + FACE

Can we just make this a thing#causeascenehttps://t.co/5fo3wMKgJppic.twitter.com/LRFw2bW9BC

— Kim Crayton #causeascene (@KimCrayton1) February 11, 2019
https://globalnews.ca/news/4951430/...icle&utm_medium=MostPopular&utm_campaign=2014

How do you design shoes like that and not see the blackface?

Last edited:
Using random twitter quotes from random nobodies is way more troubling than these shoes.

Who designs such ugly shoes tho? Looks like they glue Mr. Potato head pieces on a shoe.

NickFire

WTF did I just look at? Those have to be the worst designer shoes in history.

As an aside, I can see why someone might take offense.

wonder if they removed the white eyelids it would have been fine? or can people just not use dark colors with facial features anymore?

Last edited:

Virex

Banned
As a straight white male. I hereby give everyone that is not white. My permission to do white face be it for Halloween, Christmas, personal time or for work. All non-whites now have permission from me to do white face when ever you want. Now go and be free

Last edited:
Just like the Gucci sweater, I do not see how it is considered "blackface"
since it does not even cover the entire face. Just a (poor) choice of color, that's it. I've argued this with a few people that didn't understand why I wasn't upset at this manufactured outrage.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
People actually think the shoe maker was thinking about Black people while designing it?

All I can say is whomever in the world brings up racist thoughts at everything in the world....... is THE true racist.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As a straight white male. I hereby give everyone that is not white. My permission to do white face be it for Halloween, Christmas, personal time or for work. All non-whites no have permission from me to do white face when ever you want. Now go and be free
Ya.

As a Canadian, for anyone that wants to act like a bacon eating, maple syrup drinking, igloo living Anglo-Saxon dude who burps "eh" at the end of every sentence go ahead.

Xenon

This shit is so manufactured the people posting it should unionize. I love the part where they say to be pulled..."Oh no I better go and order mine fast before they are gone."

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
People who aren't racists typically don't see racist imagery everywhere they look.

Breakage

Saw this story on the news earlier. A woman from a "race equality think tank" was banging on about how "racist" the shoes were, how it reveals a deeper problem, how the shoes were a caricature of a black person – basically exaggerating everything as much as possible. She looked mad.

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
Not defending the shoes or anything but I don't get it. I very much doubt whoever designed those had some weird ulterior racist motive.

I think the store shouldn't sell them because they look rediculously stupid.

It's hilariously ugly. I just don't see how a team of people got together, brain stormed some ideas together and created.....that. It looks like something that should be in a comedy sketch.

Grinchy

Banned
Who would wear those horrible shoes in the first place? $129? Damn someone would even pay a premium to look that stupid.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
ugly ass shoes in the first place

tbh they could have sold just the tan version but they probably wanted to "be inclusive" and came up with the black design in the name of representation.

it really wouldn't surprise me if this was actually intended as a progressive move that spectacularly backfired.

Last edited:

Fbh

If anyone is interested, for just $80 you can send me your shoes and I'll have my niece put some parts of her Mr Potato Head on them. Not only are you saving $50 but you get a one of a kind design.

The real news here is that there are probably people who paid $129 for those.

kunonabi

Those are super hideous but blackface is a real stretch. It's amazing how little fashion sense and how awful her personal style is these days.

Her cause wasn't helped by the fact that the shoes have microchips and speakers in the soles that play "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" and "Roll Jordan, Roll" though.

cryptoadam

Banned
Who wore it better?

0211-rue-leather-mules-shoes-4.jpg

So basically she wanted to put a stupid face on shoes (DUMB) and decided to make 2 colors, and black is a very popular shoe color.

What if she only made the beige one then people would complain about diversity. Its like Barbie dolls, when there was no black Barbie doll people were up in arms.

Blackface is starting to lose its meaning. Making a face that is black is not blackface or racist. Blackface has a certain connotation and context behind it where you are mocking black people.

These are just stupid ugly shoes in colors that people like. I highly doubt Katy Perry sat there and decided we gotta make a black one to shows those blackeys that they need to stay in their lane.

But its probably better to retire the color black and red in the same space. Reminds of that south park episode where they pass a law so the word guy and Ni***r need to be separated by 7 words or more.

LMJ

How is it racist and blackface if it came in black and nude colors lol?

Last I checked blackface was called this as it was anyone not black painting there face in an exaggerated manner to make it...well a "black face"

black face"..

It's Jeff

Banned
These are the fucking ugliest shoes I've ever seen... and cost 130 bucks.

I can't assign racism when stupidity is so much likelier the cause. My niece would design these. She's four and just came back from the ER after getting the gumballs she throttled up her nose removed from her head.

Shaqazooloo

The shoes are ugly, but I wouldn't say they're racist...

Is this another case of white people getting pissed off on behalf of minorities?

Top Bottom