• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keanu Reeves says he's never played Cyberpunk, despite CD Projekt Red saying he loved it

winjer

Gold Member
If he did play it, eventually he would be playing with himself.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I am fairly sure he doesn't really care about Matrix UE5 game either.

It’s not a game, it’s a tech demo/marketing tool and the character even joke about marketing in the demo. I think it’s kinda weird people are surprised that these people do these jobs/work projects and move on…I don’t spend a lot of time thinking about old work projects I completed anymore, I just keep a collection of descriptions of them for the resume

It’s not a game, it’s a tech demo/marketing tool and the character even joke about marketing in the demo. I think it’s kinda weird people are surprised that these people do these jobs/work projects and move on…I don’t spend a lot of time thinking about old work projects I completed anymore, I just keep a collection of descriptions of them for the resume
Not only that, but most actors don't really enjoy watching their own work and purposely avoid it so they don't go crazy.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Morpheus: but the prophecy
Neo: The Verge hit me with that, too. The One was never meant to play anything. It was just another form of control
Morpheus: I have dreamed a dream, but now that dream is gone from me.

"I've seen demonstration"

unknown.png

Reeves revealed during an interview with The Verge that he doesn't play video games, including the one he starred in.
He admits he's "seen demonstrations" of Cyberpunk 2077, but seems pretty adamant that he hasn't played the action RPG himself.

This contradiction was spotted by some very eagle-eyed folks over on the Cyberpunk subreddit.
While watching Reeves' recent interview, they noticed that it didn't fit in with previous reports from last December, in which CD Projekt Red CEO Adam Kiciński said the actor "loves" playing Cyberpunk.
He went on to admit that he hadn't completed it yet, but this definitely gave off the impression that Reeves was actively working on his own playthrough, certainly not just watching a demo.

So, what gives? It's possible some wires got crossed over at CD Projekt Red. Kiciński may have been told that Reeves was loving the look of the game, which the CEO innocently assumed meant he had been playing it, rather than just watching demos.
Another possibility is that Reeves interprets "played" Cyberpunk as sitting down with the final version in his spare time, rather than messing about in Night City prior to its launch.

Nah. This was definitely PR tal from the CEO. I mean, who are you gonna trust on this really? CDPR or Keanu himself?

RoboFu

One of the green rats
You know what… I wish they made a completely different path to save Jackie and not get silverhand. It’s cool the first okay through but you notice how much it restricts the openers of roleplaying when you do multiple play throughs.

Raven117

Gold Member
Yeah, whatever. If you can't figure out marketing versus the real thing nowadays, I don't know what to tell you.

Fuz

Banned

DaGwaphics

I thought the lines about the marketing department were hilarious. Obviously they were familiar with the common criticism leveled at the other demos online (not enough action).

K2D

Banned
Having a hard time believing Keanu gives two shits about how cdpr treats their costumers/fans.. Yeah, he's generally a good guy, but doesn't necessarily involve himself with what goes on in gaming, or anything outside of the movie industry. What are the chances he has an agent or assistant that makes sure or cares that he's always correctly represented?

No shit. Guy probably has other things to do.
There's plenty of successful adults that game. Kyler Murray is apparently good enough for professional eSports if he hadn't already turned down Major Leagur baseball to be one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Played us like a damn fiddle

Woggleman

No offense to Keanu but the game was actually good before Silverhand comes into the picture. It would have been better if it stayed like that.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I thought the lines about the marketing department were hilarious. Obviously they were familiar with the common criticism leveled at the other demos online (not enough action).
Sure, I didn’t think there was wrong with them and they made me laugh. My point was is everyone knows what this thing is, even the thing itself making jokes about it

20cent

Banned
50+ years old Hollywood superstars don't play videogames? I'm shocked.

Actually even non-actors 50 years old don't.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I bet it wasn’t engaging enough for him to get to his scenes in the game. Even when the game got to his scenes, it wasn’t exactly groundbreaking material. I don’t idolize his character at all in that game. I remember a couple scenes, but it’s like Bill and Ted had more heart to it than Cyberpunk did.

Excess

No offense to Keanu but the game was actually good before Silverhand comes into the picture. It would have been better if it stayed like that.
I think this was a big part of what made the game great, because players either hated him or loved him. I, on the other hand, loved his character and started to "become" him. And in that sense, the game is masterful in setting up your ending. You get the ending you deserve.

I'm curious, which did you pick?

Woggleman

I think this was a big part of what made the game great, because players either hated him or loved him. I, on the other hand, loved his character and started to "become" him. And in that sense, the game is masterful in setting up your ending. You get the ending you deserve.

I'm curious, which did you pick?
I picked the secret ending and after that the one where Panam helps you. I liked her storyline.

Same as YongYea and other tools saying its a 10/10 game while sitting in a CP2077 chair, days before official release. They spent more on marketing than game development.

Top Bottom