• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keanu Reeves Spent Two Weeks Recording | CD Projekt Committed to Storytelling

Mista

Banned
keanu-cyberpunk2077.jpg

Today, during the YouTube live E3 coverage, CD Projekt RED CEO Marcin Iwiński talked about the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077.

Iwiński talked about several aspects of the game, including some really interesting details.

Below you can find a recap of what was said:
  • Keanu Reeves’ character is a very meaningful character, not just a cameo. He has a big role.
  • CD Projekt had a lot of back and forth discussion on him and finally decided to approach him. They had a meeting about a year ago and presented the script to him. He immediately liked it and got into the role.
  • Keanu Reeves is actually the second character in terms of the amount of spoken lines in the entire game. He did about 15 days of voice recording in the studio.
  • A dream for the future for CD Projekt is to manage to have two full big teams working on two big games at the same time. That being said, nowadays pretty much everyone in the studio is working on Cyberpunk.
  • Keanu Reeves was drawn by a fascinating story, and that’s what Iwiński believes is great about CD Projekt’s games. He doesn’t believe this will change in the future. Technology developments will simply allow them to deliver those stories on more games.
  • In terms of online experiences, there is some research & development being done and they would like to learn more about it. Gwent is a huge learning experience on that front, but CD Projekt is “fully focused and committed” to storytelling and epic experiences. Of course they’re looking into expanding, but their focus is on big story-driven games like The Witcher and Cyberpunk.
  • For Cyberpunk 2077, the studio has “a roadmap” and a “solid plan” responding on a question on whether they had plans in place on how to expand the game after release. That being said, the team needs to “put all they have and then some in finishing the game” and then hear from the fans on what they want.
  • They’d “love to have more” but Iwiński doesn’t want people to lose focus and prefers to talk about what is coming and not about what is after that.
  • There will be so many things to do and so many ways to explore the base Cyberpunk 2077 game, and a lot of freedom for gameplay with the fluid class system, but the team would definitely like to tell more stories in the Cyberpunk universe.
  • The more games CD Projekt releases, the better they are at planning. Yet the beauty of game development is that “all the pieces are constantly moving” with new platforms, new technologies more. Unfortunately, the team can never anticipate how many bugs will appear especially in the final stages of development. They can plan conservatively, but that’s as far as they can go. That being said, things are going quite well, and the team is bigger now so they can share the load better.
  • CD Projekt would love to tell more stories about The Witcher at some point, but Iwiński wouldn’t be able to say when for now.
  • The studio isn’t not a games factory, but they treat games as an art form. It would be fairly easy to release Witcher 3.5 by using the same engine and telling the same stories to make a quick buck, but that’s not what the studio is about. That’s why they’re working on Cyberpunk 2077 now. This gives them great opportunities to expand and learn a lot, and then they’ll hopefully apply those learning to more great things.
  • Ultimately it’s all about delivering great experiences and stories and pushing gaming and gameplay forward.
  • They want to do “kickass stuff” and if at some point they won’t be able to, it would become really borning, so people should expect the unexpected.
  • The team feels very good about the state of the game. The polishing part is always the most challenging.
  • The game is made with the new Red Engine that has been reworked to a huge extent. We’ll see “quite some amazing bells and whistles graphically.” While that’s important, it’s something CD Projekt always treats as part of the storytelling
  • They’re quite confident right now, and they’re working hard to deliver the game on time.
  • The game will be huge. There are no shortcuts taken. It can be explored both horizontally and vertically, but the team will need to be really close to release to be able to calculate just how big it is, and it’ll also depend a lot on playing style.
Thank you Abriael_GN Abriael_GN

----

Just in from E3 Coliseum

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
"For Cyberpunk 2077, the studio has “a roadmap” and a “solid plan” responding on a question on whether they had plans in place on how to expand the game after release. That being said, the team needs to “put all they have and then some in finishing the game” and then hear from the fans on what they want."

:messenger_fire: No doubt there are a ton of DLC/expansion opportunities with the world they're creating, but good to hear they're focusing on the right priorities as always.

"The studio isn’t not a games factory, but they treat games as an art form. It would be fairly easy to release Witcher 3.5 by using the same engine and telling the same stories to make a quick buck, but that’s not what the studio is about. That’s why they’re working on Cyberpunk 2077 now. This gives them great opportunities to expand and learn a lot, and then they’ll hopefully apply those learning to more great things."

:messenger_bicep: My soul still burns for more Witcher, but this is the right approach.

Ivory Blood

You know, from back in the day, when I first watched Ghost in the Shell as a kid, I wanted to play a cyberpunk game where I can recreate Kusanagi as my main character and go on some crazy adventures with deep philosophical introspective and equal amounts of kicking ass.

There were tons of games since then - licensed PS2 GitS titles, Deus Ex, Ruiner, Syndicate, Dex, new Shadowruns. But none really came close to fulfilling that dream. Until CDPR announced Cyberpunk.

That we are getting the game from the creators of the Witcher and they promise us it will be bigger, better and stronger that what they produced before... well, let me just say that sometimes dreams come true.

15 days of voice recording sounds like alot of dialogue :messenger_smiling_hearts: I had my doubts about the game but now I'm definitely reassured that it will be great.

It definitely will be delayed though for another 4-6 months if they want it to be very polished.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
"For Cyberpunk 2077, the studio has “a roadmap” and a “solid plan” responding on a question on whether they had plans in place on how to expand the game after release. That being said, the team needs to “put all they have and then some in finishing the game” and then hear from the fans on what they want."

:messenger_fire: No doubt there are a ton of DLC/expansion opportunities with the world they're creating, but good to hear they're focusing on the right priorities as always.

"The studio isn’t not a games factory, but they treat games as an art form. It would be fairly easy to release Witcher 3.5 by using the same engine and telling the same stories to make a quick buck, but that’s not what the studio is about. That’s why they’re working on Cyberpunk 2077 now. This gives them great opportunities to expand and learn a lot, and then they’ll hopefully apply those learning to more great things."

:messenger_bicep: My soul still burns for more Witcher, but this is the right approach.

And EA still can't get a game like Anthem to ship properly and they have 10x the amount of employees smh. THIS IS HOW YOU CREATE GAMES! CD Project RED seems to have their stuff together.

15 days of voice recording sounds like alot of dialogue :messenger_smiling_hearts: I had my doubts about the game but now I'm definitely reassured that it will be great.

It definitely will be delayed though for another 4-6 months if they want it to be very polished.

So launch game on the PS5 and Xbox NEXT? Sounds good to me.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
what the f?
will it be even better then final fantasy 7 remake and perhaps only fit on 3 discs?

Last edited:

Helios

Damn, and I thought he's going to be just a side character brought in for the marketing. Nice job, CDPR!

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Uh... Didn't you make a thread about it yesterday? ^_^;;

Skyr

Ye I've read somewhere that he is gonna be sort of what cortana was in halo.
Constantly being in contact with your chartacter.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
2 weeks worth of total VO, or 2 weeks of VO in the game?

You cut down your total studio VO to the entertainment content; depending on the content, some times voice actors may have to sit there for hours taking multiple takes of the same line(s).

With them saying 2 weeks of studio work, I'm less inclined to believe he'd have 2 weeks of full spoken dialogue in the game.

Shit they could have hassled him a whole bunch and only have 10 minutes worth of audio in game.

Ivory Blood

2 weeks worth of total VO, or 2 weeks of VO in the game?

You cut down your total studio VO to the entertainment content; depending on the content, some times voice actors may have to sit there for hours taking multiple takes of the same line(s).

With them saying 2 weeks of studio work, I'm less inclined to believe he'd have 2 weeks of full spoken dialogue in the game.

Shit they could have hassled him a whole bunch and only have 10 minutes worth of audio in game.
Naaaah, no way it's two weeks of voice over. He just worked for 15 days in the audio booth.

Great they are using him fully and he's a big part of the game. Hate it when they get a celebrity to appear / do voice work and they hardly use them.

Mista

Banned
Uh... Didn't you make a thread about it yesterday? ^_^;;
Alzheimer my friend. Made too many threads I eventually forgot :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Ivory Blood

If Silverhand is always with us, It would be really awkward to see Keanu comment on V's sexual escapades, or bathroom breaks, or... actually there is a lot of really private stuff that shouldn't be shared with anyone.

ThatGamingDude

I am a virgin
Naaaah, no way it's two weeks of voice over. He just worked for 15 days in the audio booth.
With everyone saying this game is looking better and better because of the VO work, it left me the impression he's going to have that many hours of in game VO lol

With how much money CDPR is throwing at this thing, I would hope they had the money to make him a big part of the story, rather than some NPC you hit up a lot.

Just a reminder; just because you do a bunch of studio work, doesn't mean it's going to come out to a lot of it in the content.

Top Bottom