• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keeping it Retail - Let's Get Physical (copies of our games)

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I like to collect physical copies of games. I'm not here to judge people who love the digital distribution services out there, and I have a few XBLA, PSN store, and Steam games myself. But, for me, I'm growing less and less comfortable with a few factors of digital distributiuon:

1) They rely on account security - Even during the life-cycle of a current console or service, your access to your "purchased" content depends on you being able to access the account. Your account gets hacked, you don't have those games. Steam offline mode only works after it authenticates periodically (right?). You may have games downloaded on your 360, or your PS3, but if that box craps out and you need to redownload, if you can't access that account, you're out of luck. We all have control over our own password security, but as more and more services become the target of hacking, we don't necessarily have any control over our account security.

2) Future access is not guaranteed - Will PS4 let you continue to play your PS3 downloaded games? Will all your Virtual Console titles transfer to Wii U? If you bought additional map packs for Halo 2 on your original Xbox, can you still download and play those on your 360 locally? See, you have no control over whether you can continue to access what you paid for. We are at the mercy of the whims of our Console makers.

3) Updates are not optional - I'd like my Michael Jackson zombie back, please.

340x_dancezombie.jpg

There's more, and we could talk about this a bunch here if we like, but I'm mostly looking for GAFers with a similar outlook, so we can pool some knowledge and resources, and find ways to keep what we buy, and share them here.

----------------

I'll start: of course, when it comes to DLC, if you gotta have it on release day, you have to download it. But if you exercise some patience, or just want to rebuy to ensure future ownership, many publishers will put out a complete edition, after-the-fact, which will let you retain the whole of what they've made for the future. Often these editions will include all the bug-fix patches you would need as well. Some that I've picked up include:

oblivgoty_ps3_mockbox.gif

You get the Shimmering Isles expansion packed in with this purchase, which made total sense to me.

200708b1.jpg

The five DLC packs are all included in this package. Presumably, one if coming for New Vegas. I wish I waited! Probably will re-buy and trade-in.

lanoirepc_completeedition_fob.png

Once again the DLC is bundled in. Is this coming to 360 and PS3? Nothing announced yet...

Other tips we could share here include download-only titles that eventually see a retail release, like:

This is on my "to get" list. The WiiWare, of all platforms, seems least ready to follow you to the next platform, since downloads are tied to your specific hardware, rather than your account.

As for older PC titles, instead of always turning to Steam, I have had some good luck ordering through Amazon. Often you can find a better price with republishes by Sold Out Software:
51S8J1EJATL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I can't tell you it will always be easy, as many of these titles aren't compatible with the latest-and-greatest OS's we are all repeatedly compelled to use. But you can often find resourceful folks on the internet who have provided patches and solutions to get old games running on current OS's. Download these patches and burn them to a disk and you know you'll have them in the future.

I ended up doing that with the Direct-to-Drive version of Manhunt 2, the only way to get ahold of the AO version:
256px-Manhunt_2_Wii_Box_Art_FINAL.jpg

Good thing I did, too, because apparently you can't download it there any more. My future of being able to play this is in question, however, since a unique authentication code is generated for each system you want to authenticate to play this game on, which you must then send to Direct-to-Drive to get an activation code back. It's this kind of thing that makes me wonder how I will play this game should the service die. I have the PS2 versions, but am not guaranteed access to the unedited content in the future.

Finally, as much as everyone loves Steam, I'd like to ensure we remember Good Old Games
GoG.png

http://gog.com
...which often will give you as good a deal as Steam does on older titles, plus guaranteed compatibility with current OS's, but also offers you a downloadable install file, which you can burn to a disk and keep as long as you want. They also offer nice goodies like soundtracks, PDFs of manuals and box art. They aren't retail, but they sure do seem to understand the concerns of guys like myself.

I have even gone the extra mile and printed or created box-art for these burned install disks.
Fallout1n2.jpg

Some resources for that include:
The Cover Project
http://www.thecoverproject.net/
This is a great site that has plenty of scanned and uploaded case inserts, as well as some custom-designed ones. The rabbit hole goes pretty deep.

logo-supermediastore-main.gif

http://www.supermediastore.com/category/u/cd-dvd-blu-ray-plastic-case-cases
This is a nice online site to buy DVD cases.

---------------------------

So, if you don't mind your games becoming a service, something that you can lose access to just like your cable TV if you fall on hard times and can't pay the bill, this thread won't offer you much. By all means enjoy that convenience, and I'll probably envy you the next time I move. But for me, I'm drawing a line. I'm not interested in having my sense of ownership of content I've purchased degraded, devalued, negated. I don't pirate games, I don't buy new releases for $5 cheaper pre-owned at the Gamestop. I've understood the concerns of publishers and modified me behavior to bear them in mind, to the limit I can afford and care to pursue. I'm tired of being inconvenienced.

I sometimes want to play old games. The Games Press, most web sites, this very board always keeps us focused on the newest and the latest. Weekend Confirmed is no longer interested in advising you if you Cannata afford a new game. Publishers can't even guarantee that a game can be remade because they can lose the source code.

So draw your live where you want. Me, I'm kind of pissed about Arkham City. I'm hoping for a future edition with the Catwoman content on the disk. Their move has cost them my sale, with that inconvenience, and yet a player who DOES buy it pre-owned for $5 off at Gamestop will get the code and the content. So who are these measures in place to punish? Not the pre-owned purchaser, but just collectors, like me, who want to know they can keep all the content? Enough.

Please post your suggestions for:

1) "Complete" editions of games that include content previously only available for download.
2) Retail editions of games that were previously download-only.
3) (Non-piracy) Techniques for ensuring future access to content not available at retail.
4) Your opinion of where to draw the line.

Cheers.

-----------------

1upShow_boxset.jpg

I personally prefer to buy the original release on disc and then just buy the DLC for download. I do like to get separate DLC releases on disc when I can though. For instance Borderlands and Fallout 3 did this.

61jfBS9Zb5L._AA300_.jpg

51ar0H3yyTL._AA300_.jpg

81bLEW%2BoxhL._AA300_.jpg

Emitan

I don't like games taking up space. When I graduate college I don't know if I'm going to have a house or an apartment and I don't want games taking up all my space. All my gaming is done on my PC or handhelds for the most part so its not a huge deal (embrace DD, Nintendo). I don't even buy books anymore because I buy them on Kindle.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Billychu, I understand where you're coming from. But for me, I like having a collection, going back and playing old stuff, keeping working old consoles around. I support conditions where we each get to choose how we want to have our games.

I don't support conditions where my preference is no longer an option.

Emitan

Imbarkus said:
Billychu, I understand where you're coming from. But for me, I like having a collection, going back and playing old stuff, keeping working old consoles around. I support conditions where we each get to choose how we want to have our games.

I don't support conditions where my preference is no longer an option.
I totally understand where you're coming from. I'm just OCD or something when it comes to space management. I guess because I know that if you give me objects, I will find a way to make a mess with them.

If I had a really big room dedicated to gaming I'd be a little more open to physical media.

HylianTom

Banned
I like physical media, and for games that I plan on playing to my grave (usually just Nintendo first-party games) I will always keep physical copies - and factory-sealed backups of those copies.

It gets expensive, though, if you don't buy your backup copies at the right time..
A prime example: a factory-sealed copy of the Gamecube Zelda Collector's Edition (with four games on the disc) costs several hundred dollars on Amazon. Insane.

edit: but I do use/appreciate digital versions when available. If I have a physical copy in storage and a copy on the Virtual Console, I'll play the VC edition just to save wear on the physical version. Like you say.. I like options, as long as physical is an option.

Imbarkus

Evil Benius said:
I personally prefer to buy the original release on disc and then just buy the DLC for download. I do like to get separate DLC releases on disc when I can though. For instance Borderlands and Fallout 3 did this.

Great point. Those are good options too. Some more like that:

256px-Grand_Theft_Auto_IV_Episodes_From_Liberty_City.jpg

40252_red_dead_redemption_undead_nightmare.png

Here's one I was, at first, interested in, until I found out that all that comes in the box is a download code:

200614b.jpg

NO DISK, NO BUY!

I like physical media as much as the next guy, but as someone who lives in the middle of nowhere, being able to get games DD is sometimes the only thing keeping me buying games now a days.

I agree with all those points about not being secure with game purchases, but sometimes I just gotta get a huge RPG like New Vegas for 7 bucks, and hope for the best down the line.

entremet

I don't understand getting physical discs on PC. Steam is such a fantastic option. Consoles I understand, but that's because the platform holders are stupid--no day and date releases and limited libraries.

There are some games I would just rather have a digital copy of honestly. Like SF4...that game is in such a heavy rotation at all times, I would gladly trade it in for a digital version if I had the option. Some games I like physical copies of though, like adventure games.

It is a real bummer that Microsoft shut off XBOX1 download services because it sheds a bad light on console manufacturers holding legacy content.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I am so OCD about physical copies that I often buy the disc version if it exists. I even bought the Shivering Isles disc seperately, and I'm tempted to buy SSFIV AE even though I have the DLC.

I have a sickness.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
entrement said:
I don't understand getting physical discs on PC. Steam is such a fantastic option. Consoles I understand, but that's because the platform holders are stupid--no day and date releases and limited libraries.
It's nothing rational. I just like having a collection as a museum of what I've played and loved. I can never really justify it, but every time I look at my collection I don't regret it.

sfried

Retail will never die. That's because there will always be people who will not have 24/7 access to the internet, or do not have enough money to invest in the infrastructure to have constant net access, or simply are incapable due to physical limitations of location, etc. They would want to keep something the can play whenever they feel like it, where ever they feel like it (a.k.a. NOT like Assassin's Creed 2 DRM, or like certain Steam services which require you to play the same version as the physical region you are currently in.) GOG is a good option, as long as you habitually download the install files and burn them immediately onto a disk. Plus there are also other collectible goodies like feelies and whatnot like the Tales of Monkey Island Collector's Edition or Half-Life 2 Collector's retail with T-Shirt. The problem is that some developers think DLC and other non-physical format content should be just as valued as a physical copy.

I understand with smaller developers/publishers, this would probably be the only feasable means to do a buisness. But with bigger companies and publishers, it should always be just an option but NOT a requirement.

Besides, nobody knows when the Internet might up and shut down overnight. Shit happens and nobody's perfect, so it's best to back-up (or have a single-player option).

Ranger X

Well, I agree with you OP. The only disadvantage that physical media is having over digital media is the physical space to store them. And this disadvantage is nothing compared to all the possible bullshit that can happen to digital content. This is why I buy physical when I can. (per example, I bought Skyrim on 360 instead of Steam).

There's only 3 instances where I would buy digital:

- On Apple Store when I have no other choice.
- Steam because it simplifies my PC gaming alot.
- Indy gaming (on PC).

Sometimes, it's better to play the game over the fear of losing it someday.

I always double-dip on console games I like if they release a "Complete Edition" on disc. I'm crazy.

And to the OP, yes, the Complete Version of L.A. Noire is coming to PS3 and 360 on November 15th. I think the Xbox 360 version might have four discs, as the box is huge and cardboard now. I'll post pictures of it later this week.

Imbarkus

Ranger X said:
Well, I agree with you OP. The only disadvantage that physical media is having over digital media is the physical space to store them.

One weird thing about me, as a collector, is that I'm collecting these things for me, and maybe for my kids. So I don't feel the need to keep ALL the original packaging.

I hate jewel bozes, and the way they break and always surprize you by falling apart the next time you open them. So I have all my Playstation 1, Sega CD, Saturn, and Dreamcast games condensed (along with their inserts) into CD sleeves.

28-sleeve-cd-case1.jpg

Three of these don't take up very much space at all. Something to consider, if you're not collecting for resale value.

a Master Ninja said:
And to the OP, yes, the Complete Version of L.A. Noire is coming to PS3 and 360 on November 15th. I think the Xbox 360 version might have four discs, as the box is huge and cardboard now. I'll post pictures of it later this week.

Awesome news. Thanks!

*fistbumps OP*

In my closet I still have full boxes of PC games I bought from 1995 onward. I do also keep image and ISO backups of most of them for easier install on modern machines, but it's nice to know my access to them can't be revoked by a service going down.

randomkid

I really like both retail AND digital, which is kind of a rare position around here apparently. I do sorta think digital games feel less "real" than retail ones, which I know is silly, but I don't have any problems buying them if they're less than $10. I bought Prinny for $10 back when it was going for $40 in retail and that was awesome. It's pretty cool that I can get Grim Grimoire for $10 when it's going double that everywhere else.

For me, digital is more impulse-purchase based. Mostly from Steam Deals - I'll rarely by a digital title at full price (though I have on occasion).

When I buy retail games, it's more of an "event" for me, and I usually have put some serious thought into the decision. That's usually because retail games cost more though. When I impulse buy something on Steam, it will almost certainly be less than $20.

I used to be okay with digital distribution, but a while back my original Xbox died. I had some DLC on it (yes, there was DLC on the original Xbox, even some full games that were downloadable) that was lost as a result, and since Xbox Live for original Xbox has been shut down, I can never redownload it. It's just gone.

I want to echo the OP's sentiment that DD should be there as an option for people who want it. I get that there are advantages to it and lots of people prefer it over physical copies. You just won't catch me using any DD services again (except for GOG; I'm okay with GOG).

I would buy physical copies all of the time if DD weren't infinitely cheaper. If, for whatever reason, physical games started going for the ridiculous prices that Steam offers, I would totally go physical.

Ranger X said:
Well, I agree with you OP. The only disadvantage that physical media is having over digital media is the physical space to store them.

Uhhh, the overpriced nature of physical copies is a HUGE disadvantage.

randomkid

The Mana Legend said:

That's not always the case. Check out Persona 3 PSP, 19 bucks on Amazon right now, $39.99 digital.

This is why it's important for both formats to exist and be healthy.

Imbarkus

BIT-TRIP-COMPLETE.jpg

The bit.trip collection is very interesting to me, since DLC on disk seems to be a more common phenomenon than DD-only games getting a physical release. Can anyone think of some other examples?

You know what would be awesome? a PixelJunk Collection!

The Mana Legend said:

Even if you don't buy used, physical copies are eventually marked down to clear inventory space. Steam will depreciate copies of games over time, and good on them for it. But XBLA, the PSN store? It's $15 on release, and it's $15 for as long as you are able to get it!

I bought DMC4 new two years ago for $7 at Target. Meanwhile a DD copy of a new game on Steam is still $60. Buying on release makes for the high price. That's why I pointed out the great Amazon deals on old games. Just as easy to find as a Steam deal, really.

randomkid

Imbarkus said:
Even if you don't buy used, physical copies are eventually marked down to clear inventory space. Steam will depreciate copies of games over time, and good on them for it. But XBLA, the PSN store? It's $15 on release, and it's $15 for as long as you are able to get it!

Naw, plenty of games on PSN get permanent price drops too, and half-price sales occur like every week.

Ranger X

The Mana Legend said:

Well, this is a problem I have with digital distribution. IF ONLY your statement there was true. In fact, they don't honour the customer with the money they save. Per example, right now Skyrim is 59$ on Steam. This is the same price as retail copy. It does not make any sense but nobody cares.

The day it will be true that digital content is costing less than physical you will have a true point there. Oh and I know I didn't talk about rebates and specials. I simply compared apples with apples.

Dambrosi

Banned
*holds down Circle, selects "move left" from menu, bows deeply to OP*

Ah, Demon's Souls. Now there's a game that could have benefited from, but didn't bother with, downloadable content. From Software must think releasing complete games is important. More power to them.

Nonetheless, bravo OP. About time someone pointed out the advantages of actually OWNING your games. Though Steam allows you to make hard backups of your games iirc, so there's at least that.

More and more I'm seeing the advantages of buying digitally but I just can't get over having a physical copy of a game/book/movie. My game collection is massive now and luckily my wife allows me a room in the house to keep it all though it's certainly a burden, but I'm simply nostalgic for physical games. I can see losing interest in gaming in the future if it becomes a download only hobby.

NZNova

The whole 'guaranteed access' argument of physical media would be a much more compelling argument if I didn't have 3 Xbox 360 games at home that have just been sitting in their cases since 2006 and when I tried them last, do not boot due to disc read errors.

Imbarkus

Dambrosi said:
Though Steam allows you to make hard backups of your games iirc, so there's at least that.

Wait, what? Really? How is this accomplished?

I rally need some details on Steam and what the limits are for "offline play" etc. I may be OPC, but I have considered storing a clean hard drive with my Steam purchases on it for the future, yet I believe I would still need to be able to authenticate against a Steam server if this were to happen.

You know, if Steam shuts down ever, it would be really cool of them to send a final update disabling the need for authentication against their servers for access to your games.

NZNova said:
The whole 'guaranteed access' argument of physical media would be a much more compelling argument if I didn't have 3 Xbox 360 games at home that have just been sitting in their cases since 2006 and when I tried them last, do not boot due to disc read errors.

I know that feel, bro. I have boxes of original C-64 floppies and I haven't tried to run them in years, but that 5.25" magnetic media loses whatever is on it over the years...

Nothing is guaranteed, for sure. CDs and DVDs (especially burned ones) lose what's on them over the years too. Cartridges with saves on them rely on obscure batteries to keep that save info.

These are the scenarios when I find emulation a worthy solution, and perfectly legal if you own the original game, right?

I've bought re-releases and collections of old arcade games, too. It's just something about the download-only nature that threatens me. I can trust myself, and I can accept that entropy destroys media. But it's stuff like the folks who bought DLC on the original XBox Live service, who now have lost it forever, due to a business decision, that scares me more than anything.

Ranger X

NZNova said:

This is the exception not the norm. I'm sorry for you though, it must be bad when this happens.

Dizzy

Banned
The Mana Legend said:
What? Can't talk for PC, but on consoles games cost way more on PSN/XBLA than they do at retail.

If you wait a few months it gets even worse. Right now Red Faction Armageddon is £9.99 on most online retailers but it's £57.99 on PSN :-/

styl3s

Billychu said:
I don't like games taking up space. When I graduate college I don't know if I'm going to have a house or an apartment and I don't want games taking up all my space. All my gaming is done on my PC or handhelds for the most part so its not a huge deal (embrace DD, Nintendo). I don't even buy books anymore because I buy them on Kindle.
Easy solution to that is totes and cd/dvd holders, you know the book like thing that takes up less space then a pair of shoes but holds 500 disc? store the cases in totes or at your parents?

I had no problem keeping a giant collection of physical games in my tiny apartment during college.

WillyFive

I agree that physical copies as a product is better in every single way.

But it's just not worth it when the digital versions are cheaper and more convenient.

It sucks that we have to make this choice.

Yeah when I download a digital game I never pay much attention to them as much as I would a retail game. That's just how it is, I like having physical media for everything.

totowhoa

Banned
Imbarkus said:
http://www.wiichat.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/BIT-TRIP-COMPLETE.jpg[IMG]

You know what would be awesome? a PixelJunk Collection![/QUOTE]

Yeah, I would totally buy this. Be it a few extra levels, pack-in soundtrack, whatever... give me a little more and I would love to have a PJ collection on my shelf. I'm still planning on getting the BT collection soon.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I remember how pissed I was because of having to buy FF Type-0 and MH3rd directly from PSN to be able to play them on Vita without an additional fee. That plus yesterday I saw a great offer for new Phantasy Star 2 Infinity but didn't buy it for the same reason, despite it being 2 times cheaper.

jbueno

I love my physical copies and will only buy downloadable if it´s the only available way. The day that gaming goes all downloadable I will begin to amass a collection of old titles and systems to add and clear my backlog. More than enough content to last me decades.

Dambrosi

Banned
Imbarkus said:
Wait, what? Really? How is this accomplished?

From the Steam Knowledge Base:

Creating Backup Files

Right-click the game in the Library section
Select Backup game files...
Check the boxes for any other games to backup at this time
Click Next >
Browse to the folder where you wish to create the backup files (the files will be stored in c:\program files\valve\steam\Backups by default) and click Next >
Select the Backup file name and set the File size for the media you plan to use.
Click Next > to begin the backup process.
Once complete, choose Open backup folder to move or burn copies of the backup files

Important:

We recommend testing the backup discs after their creation to ensure the integrity of the files for future reinstallation.
Restoring from Backup Files

Install Steam and log in to the correct Steam account (see Installing Steam for further instructions)
If the backup files were copied to a CD or DVD, the process should run automatically when the disc is inserted. If not, run steambackup.exe from the disc
If steambackup.exe is missing, please download this copy of steambackup.exe and place it in the correct backup folder.
Continue through the Steam windows to install the necessary games.

Important:

If the path to your Steam installation contains special characters, such as C:\Instalação\Steam, the restore process may not complete successfully. If this issue occurs, you may need to re-install Steam to a location without special characters, such as C:\Steam.

Alternative to the Backup Feature for Third-party Games

Go to your \steamapps\ folder (by default, this folder is located at C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps or on 64-bit systems, C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps)
Locate any .ncf files for the game.
Locate this game's folder in the \common\ folder.
Copy all of the .ncf files and the game folder to a disc or available hard drive for reinstallation
For future installations, copy these files and folders to your new Steam installation. Make sure to place it back in the proper folder (\steamapps\ for .ncf files and \common\ for game folders).
Re-start Steam and you may see a small download to confirm the newly identified install.

Note:

Valve games located in \steamapps\<Steam account name>\ may also be backed up using this process but your re-installation download can be much larger. The normal backup disc option is recommended for these games.

Imbarkus said:
I rally need some details on Steam and what the limits are for "offline play" etc. I may be OPC, but I have considered storing a clean hard drive with my Steam purchases on it for the future, yet I believe I would still need to be able to authenticate against a Steam server if this were to happen.
You can do this. And yes, you would need to, but only once (for each game, natch). Unless.

Imbarkus said:
You know, if Steam shuts down ever, it would be really cool of them to send a final update disabling the need for authentication against their servers for access to your games.
That's exactly what was promised by Valve when they started Steam way back in the long-ago long-ago. Let's hope they never have to make good on their promise.

totowhoa

Banned
Dambrosi said:

You can do this. And yes, you would need to, but only once (for each game, natch). Unless.

That's exactly what was promised by Valve when they started Steam way back in the long-ago long-ago. Let's hope they never have to make good on their promise.

That's pretty awesome. Never knew that myself. I'll definitely be backing up my games soon then.

disco

NZNova said:
Tbh, you could get an error from downloaded content too. :-/

I personally am greatly in favour of physical media. I love seeing all my games there on the shelf.

Yeah, all I can think for this holiday is how many games I'll be buying in 2-3 years.

Games I don't own, but expect "ultimate" versions of at retail (and thus won't be buying):

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Infamous 2
LA: Noire
Red Dead Redemption (I did get this one, then resold and am waiting on complete edition)
Saints Row the Third
Skyrim
Fallout: New Vegas
Batman: Arkham City
Mortal Kombat

Games I'm hoping will have complete editions but I'm not sure (And thus might get at reduced price):

Uncharted 3 (multi-player dlc?)
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine
Sonic Generations

And then there are the HD collections that might get re-released with all the games in the series (and thus I'm likely to wait on):

Devil May Cry Collection (missing 4)
Silent Hill Collection (Missing 1 *don't care about the ones after 3)
Metal Gear Solid Collection (Missing 1, 4 with trophies, I know, I know)

In the mean time I still have a backlog the size of several semi trucks to work through so I don't feel to bad about the waiting. I actually really hope that this release followed by re-release in a few years becomes common. I really need an excuse to play through some of my older stuff.

Imbarkus

Dambrosi said:

Great info! Thanks!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
jbueno said:
I love my physical copies and will only buy downloadable if it´s the only available way.
I've been the same way since the Sega Channel went offline in 1997. Not really keen on having a huge chunk of my library just vanish overnight ever again.

as many have said. DD is for the moment gaming, Retail is for the long term gaming. On PC What if the HDD fries I would need to download the whole game again? What if a DD company collapses I could lose everything. I would never DD on consoles just because console makers have screwed customers a million times on backward compatibility. Also on PCs it is much easier to lend friends a game for a few days as I would never let them have my steam/origin account

Digital distribution can suck my ass if it wants to replace physical copies of games.

1. I don't have access to real broadband internet where I live. Hughesnet is not a viable option for playing/downloading games online.

2. The reasons everyone else listed. If I own a copy of a game that's loaded with DRM out the ass then I don't really own the game. It can be taken away at any time.

3. If I have to be connected to the internet to play your game you can go fuck yourself. (If it's a single player game.)

I love my boxes, but I h ope next generation companies switch to a slimmer case. Not quite as thin as the slimline boxes they sell in bulk, but maybe something about half the thickness of standard cases.

Top Bottom