• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keeping your PS5 vertical might cause some issues, as reported by some users, with specific faults. Sometimes.

sachos

Come on guys, no need to resort to ad hominem attacks... dude is just reporting an issue he has found with some of the PS5 he gets in his shop. It would have been cool though if he gave actual numbers to the ammount of units he receives with this kind of issue. Of course there is no need to go paranoid about it, if you can, use it in horizontal position just in case and if you like it vertical or dont have space for horizontal just use it vertical, chances are that you will never see an issue with it.

skit_data

Oh geez, who would have thought?!

Edit:
Gotta say I’m surprised he’s still going on about it ”still being an issue” because unless he somehow figured out a way to verify that these consoles had no history of getting damaged due to external factors (which is impossible) it’s a pretty bold claim to say it’s a design flaw.

Last edited:

mansoor1980

AshamedPoliticalHalcyon-size_restricted.gif

jaysius

Banned
This was a good video. It's always nice to see you tubers doing better journalism than gaming "journalists."

I put a timestamp on the most relevant part.

That channel looks like cancer, all the thumbnails are clickbait with large brightly colored words, like one of those budgety feeling channels.

Her research is calling some repair shops... yea that's an idea, but it's not real proof that it's not an issue.

This fugly tubing guy is trying to make wave and make a name for himself because his personality is shit and his video production is typically low.

Who knows if it's a real issue, maybe there'll be some more thought on it from engineers.

Last edited:

skit_data

No idea if this is true or not, but I have zero issues with mine. All I see here is the typical social media creating F U D.
It’s probably true that someone got the liquid metal leaked out on the board etc but wether it was done by their own hand, the repairman saving his face, got a damaged console because of bad delivery service/shipping, any other type of external cause or a very very very stupid and improbable design flaw is anyones guess.

Out of these many options I find the latter the least likely, especially in context of the amounts of sold consoles and never hearing of this before.

Murdok

Oh geez, who would have thought?!

Edit:
Gotta say I’m surprised he’s still going on about it ”still being an issue” because unless he somehow figured out a way to verify that these consoles had no history of getting damaged due to external factors (which is impossible) it’s a pretty bold claim to say it’s a design flaw.

Thx, fixed

DinoD

Not really worried about my PS5. It's been vertical since the launch day. Haven't noticed any sagging yet :D. I don't think we will ever see the repeat of XBOX360 and PS3 era. I had two 360's RROD-ed on me and my original/launch (phat) PS3 YLOD-ed in the 3rd year of its young life. Managed to reflow it once, but soon after died again and I CBF-ed 'nomore.

//DEVIL//

I have a friend who works at Walmart and every month they get 1 day where they get 20% off on anything. Asked if I want a PS5 from the online store ( GOW bundle ), So I said sure ( I do not think it will ever get a 20% discount anyway anytime soon so what the hell why not ).

But what is the verdict of this thread? are all PS5s doomed because of the liquid thermal paste or only if it's Vertical?

Imtjnotu

I have a friend who works at Walmart and every month they get 1 day where they get 20% off on anything. Asked if I want a PS5 from the online store ( GOW bundle ), So I said sure ( I do not think it will ever get a 20% discount anyway anytime soon so what the hell why not ).

But what is the verdict of this thread? are all PS5s doomed because of the liquid thermal paste or only if it's Vertical?
Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Just read the thread. No one in here has issues with a vertical console

Ooof what a big waste a time all of this was then.

Rushed so quick to get the news out, and didn’t actually bother to review the evidence until afterwards. Excellent.

Tomeru

I don't know who to believe... the retraction or this 🤔 😂

The ps5 is so powerfull. The fan is threatening to create a black hole with all the torque its creating, and the br drive is do powerful that it's vibrations can create massive seismic spikes that could tear a hole into another dimention. Its MASSIVE copper heatsink can't be helping, as it can't fight the force the cpu is exerting.

Liquid metal is the least of our problems.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
The ps5 is so powerfull. The fan is threatening to create a black hole with all the torque its creating, and the br drive is do powerful that it's vibrations can create massive seismic spikes that could tear a hole into another dimention. Its MASSIVE copper heatsink can't be helping, as it can't fight the force the cpu is exerting.

Liquid metal is the least of our problems.
terminator GIF

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's not unreasonable that there could be conditions where the foam barrier that prevents liquid metal from escaping could fail, such as the occasional incorrect application during assembly or someone drops the console and it dislodges. I would bet most instances where it happens are from people mishandling consoles and not manufacturing defects.

I read a reddit post some time back where someone had their PS5 vertical but weren't using the stand. The console toppled and fell and the shock caused a liquid metal leak. They were blaming Sony for their own negligence. I tried to find it but it looks like it was deleted. People were blasting him for it and he was responding that the base is wide enough to not need the stand. It was a good roasting.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
It's not unreasonable that there could be conditions where the foam barrier that prevents liquid metal from escaping could fail, such as the occasional incorrect application during assembly or someone drops the console and it dislodges. I would bet most instances where it happens are from people mishandling consoles and not manufacturing defects.

I read a reddit post some time back where someone had their PS5 vertical but weren't using the stand. The console toppled and fell and the shock caused a liquid metal leak. They were blaming Sony for their own negligence. I tried to find it but it looks like it was deleted. People were blasting him for it and he was responding that the base is wide enough to not need the stand. It was a good roasting.

if you watch some of his videos often when he opens PS5's Liquid Metal is spilt onto the foam. he does say a lot of the time dropped consoles. am sure there are cases were the foam has failed to. the guy knows his stuff and like he says it could be a bigger problem down the road.

one question nobody seems to of asked is the consoles he says have had spoilage because of vertical standing, how many hours have the console been played on?

I suspect its more people mishandling the consoles

LordCBH

The issue was fucking inexperienced repair techs opening the systems and not reassembling them properly. Who would have fucking guessed? (Most people who aren’t dumb could have guessed)

Dick Jones

Gold Member
They need damned games to play, is what they need.
They just need a boot up the arse is what they need. Utter bollocks spewed for 2 minutes.

Horizontal PS5s are faulty too. I dropped mine horizontally from the top of the London Eye into the Thames and it wouldn't work. I'm confident when I can buy another, a dropped vertical PS5 would work after...

Stay tuned

skit_data

Physics major here suggesting torque from the fan is driving the liquid metal out of the seal.
Pack up your shit folks, PS5 is doomed.
I’m happy youtube wasn’t a thing back when I used to get stoned.

Edit: I’m struggling to create a picture of how this guy is painting the picture. Is the angular velocity of a… is the APU connected to… Ok, I got it: The APU is attached to the heat sink and spinning around with the fan. Sounds about right, your heat sink is standing still and…. No I lost his train of thought again.

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Gold Member

So engineers spent 2 years elaborating a cooling system and random guy *believe* he found a design flaw because of the fan which almost no vibrate and the bluray drive which only spin for long when installing a game.

Clown GIF

Science is based is on reproducible facts, not beliefs.

Physics major here suggesting torque from the fan is driving the liquid metal out of the seal.
Pack up your shit folks, PS5 is doomed.
I’m happy youtube wasn’t a thing back when I used to get stoned.

Edit: I’m struggling to create a picture of how this guy is painting the picture. Is the angular velocity of a… is the APU connected to… Ok, I got it: The APU is attached to the heat sink and spinning around with the fan. Sounds about right, your heat sink is standing still and…. No I lost his train of thought again.
You're too weak, don't you see all how all everything is connected ? That's so obvious and proven believed.
We were already doomed by all the vibrations during transit of our consoles: boats, planes, trucks, cars... even by the vibration caused by the unboxing.

Calculating Figure It Out GIF

Last edited:

damidu

aw they are still at it, cute.
sony finally doomed?

problem with these stupid fuds are they don’t actually happen to anyone for the concern trolling to stick.
so these morons are exposed for what they are again and again.

I’ll never understand the point of obvious fan boys with xbox avatars and green fonts telling you to click a very important video, like if you’re gonna concern troll at least disguise yourself better.

Its like robbing a bank with a big burlap sack with a dollar sign on it

Top Bottom