• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keeping your PS5 vertical might cause some issues, as reported by some users, with specific faults. Sometimes.

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Imagine having such a channel tho. Tough beard avatar..Xbox and green as If you're grooming 9 year old xbox fans... I just... cant type... it's to much.. is this real...

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Keeping mine upright, and if it dies...Sony can sucka fat one. It's iterally advertised as stood up so should operate for years in that position. Why even go with liquid metal and a vertical designed console if its not ideal to work together, seems odd?

I'm hoping it will be fine, but that guy really knows his stuff so obviously it can be an issue. Bleugh.

Timestamp

Is he seriously advising people replacing the liquid metal every once or 2 years? Insane. No people without serious experience should do that. Too many issues could happen. The most likely result being damaging the PS5 in the process.

But yes since the first time I saw videos of the liquid metal I had become worried about that potential problem. I think for now the best would be to keep it horizontal indeed. And I don't think Sony will openly talk about reliability problems to their consumers.

Last edited:

Spitfire098

Mine upright like 9/11. No issues still
Toronto Blue Jays Baseball GIF by MLB

lachesis

I always keep my consoles horizontal.... except XSX. I'm sure my PS5 would be just fine as is (and it's just so dang big and attention grabbing)
Probably very little to do, but I just don't see it would hurt the machine with "heat rises" theory... even though some cases like FT02/RV02 proved it didn't really matter much.

er ...

doesn't the PS5 already come with a stand ? Why would you need to buy this rickety ass thin g?
Somehow, the included stand is actually ricketier. I would have bought a set of these if my PS5 would fit into my TV display case with them attached. It barely fits with the included shitty stand.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Love that this was bumped for a cringey click bait video not worth the time it took to be made.

The average consumer isn't going to pop open their PS5 every 2 yrs and re-do the liquid metal on the board :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy: What a fucking clown.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I mean my motherboard is upright so is the setup for millions and millions of other PC’s out there…..

Not sure why this issue seems to be a
”PS5” only thing.

Same people that got blinded by PSVR2. Those Japs got some high-end tech that could check your bloodstream if it has any greens in it to inflict damage or self-destruct.

ReBurn

Gold Member
it's great. Never used hrizontally because it's stupid. The console was clearly designed to stand vertically and stand is good for that.
They just made horizontal compatibility for pricks who would annoy them about it
Or foreveralones who have cats instead of friends. Because cats are bastards and try to knock everything over. Can't knock It over if it's already knocked over.

ReBurn

Gold Member

Oh Cod3r, TronicsFix told us this a couple of years ago with much less clickbait flair.

He was able to clone the system's original SSD to a different SSD from a different Xbox and it worked, but you'd probably have to have the foresight to make a clone while your system is still working. For the cost and effort of getting a new drive, equipment to clone, and hassle to get to the SSD in the first place I'd probably just send it to Microsoft to get it fixed. But that's just me.

"Using PS5 on vertical position makes the liquid metal go down"
That is a LIE.

When sony released their first ps5 models, it have a huge thermal bs in "L" format, what makes a misaligned. Does not matter if you are using on horizonal or vertical.

Screenshot-20230713-071531-You-Tube.jpg

Screenshot-20230713-071444-You-Tube.jpg

That's why Ps5 had problems with missing parts of metal liquid. When close with the metal board, does not fit properly.

So sony has fixed this with Ps5 1015 and 11xx removing the thermal "L" thing.

Screenshot-20230713-071612-You-Tube.jpg

Screenshot-20230713-071659-You-Tube.jpg

Fixed.

Now compare the board 12xx with 1015/11xx
Its a close step for a Ps5 Slim model!

Screenshot-20230713-071850-You-Tube.jpg

(12xx on the right)

So guys, don't trust about "don't use vertically", its pure BS!

Last edited:
Looks like the 1216A/B has a few issues because Sony went the cheap way and glued the heatsink on without using screws.

Guy already repaired 8/9 units because of this issues.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Oh Cod3r, TronicsFix told us this a couple of years ago with much less clickbait flair.

He was able to clone the system's original SSD to a different SSD from a different Xbox and it worked, but you'd probably have to have the foresight to make a clone while your system is still working. For the cost and effort of getting a new drive, equipment to clone, and hassle to get to the SSD in the first place I'd probably just send it to Microsoft to get it fixed. But that's just me.

The issue is the security partition which if it get corrupted the whole console is screwed. Its kinda bad because its got nothing to do with the hardware as the drive itself is entirely standard. The keys in the encrypted sector locking the drive to the board gets re-written (changed) with every firmware update, so any update between you making the backup and the drive getting screwed will result in a brick.

Which is pretty bad if you think about it, because without a valid paired drive you cannot apply any updates...

Last edited:
Could a few screws have cost that much?
I know that some TV manufacturers glue some parts together.

Some parts were not properly glued and the lower ambilight strip was hanging down on some Philips TVs. Don't know If this was a huge issue but yes glue is cheaper than using screws.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I know that some TV manufacturers glue some parts together.

Some parts were not properly glued and the lower ambilight strip was hanging down on some Philips TVs. Don't know If this was a huge issue but yes glue is cheaper than using screws.
I know glue is cheaper than screws, but screws are probably cheaper than having to pay for round trip shipping and someone to glue it back together if the glue fails.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Didn’t we learn anything from using lead-free solder?
Lead-free solder has a higher melting point than leaded solder so if that's what was holding it together then it was either pretty high heat or the connection wasn't that great.

I watched the video and he removed what seemed like a thousand screws to get down to the heatsink then it's a few smears of glue.
Yeah, I watched it, too. Didn't look like there was much adhesive on it. With all of the screws on that heat shield you'd think a few more for securing the cooling assembly wouldn't be that big of a deal. Or just make some of those existing screws pull double duty.

I wonder if that console in the video was dropped?

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Gaming was way more fun before social cancer media took over. Ok not the gaming buy its surrounding culture or whatever

It's fun and cringe when people like a post that's so badly written (prolly drunk) and rereading it

It's a good indicator though that there are those that can read between my dumbass lines and kinda know where I was getting at the time I suppose?

Necro reactions will never not be cringe

🤣🙌🌟

Last edited:

ZoukGalaxy

Gold Member
"Using PS5 on vertical position makes the liquid metal go down"
That is a LIE.

When sony released their first ps5 models, it have a huge thermal bs in "L" format, what makes a misaligned. Does not matter if you are using on horizonal or vertical.

Screenshot-20230713-071531-You-Tube.jpg

Screenshot-20230713-071444-You-Tube.jpg

That's why Ps5 had problems with missing parts of metal liquid. When close with the metal board, does not fit properly.

So sony has fixed this with Ps5 1015 and 11xx removing the thermal "L" thing.

Screenshot-20230713-071659-You-Tube.jpg

Fixed.

Now compare the board 12xx with 1015/11xx
Its a close step for a Ps5 Slim model!

(12xx on the right)

So guys, don't trust about "don't use vertically", its pure BS!
I'm confused, according to your very own screen captures

The one on the right is a 1015A.

You meant 12xx is on the left, I guess ?

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
some of you people should watch these repair video less often, you are scaring yourself here.

Top Bottom