• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Keiji Inafune: "I'm not the creator of Mega Man"

vala

I can't believe this..... O.O

Inafune also revealed that he wasn't responsible for the creation of Mega Man himself. "I'm often called the father of Mega Man, but actually, his design was already created when I joined Capcom," he explained. "My mentor [at Capcom], who was the designer of the original Mega Man, had a basic concept of what Mega Man was supposed to look like. So I only did half of the job in creating him. I didn't get to completely design a Mega Man [protagonist] from scratch until Zero (Mega Man X, SNES). Back when the SNES was coming out, I was asked to give Mega Man a redesign, so I created this character. But I realized that this design wouldn't be accepted as Mega Man, so I had another designer create the new Mega Man, and I worked on Zero to release him as the 'other main character' that would steal all the good scenes!"

The Mega Man series may be Inafune's longest running project series, but it also has some personal importance to him. "It may be the 20th anniversary for the Mega Man series, but it's also the 20th anniversary for myself as a game developer. It was the first title that I was involved in when I joined Capcom, and I've really been in the industry together with the series. It was the Mega Man series that taught me how to make video games, like what kind of points had to be detailed, and what kind of points had to be watched out for. I'm often called the creator of Mega Man or the father of Mega Man, but it's really the Mega Man series that created me."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6179759.html

2016 edit:
Here you can read an interview with Akira Kitamura, the actual creator!

http://shmuplations.com/megaman/

Ranger X

Wow, i never liked the later Megaman designs and that quite explains it! It wasn't the same mind being the characters.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
John Dunbar said:
I'm guessing somebody didn't enjoy seeing it quoted every time I said something.

Not like we don't all remember it.

This explains soooo much!

The one thing I always said about the Mega man series was that it's one flaw was never create a side character COOLER than your main character. And....my god it all makes sense now. Of course he created one cooler, because Mega man was never his.

*reality crumbling down around*

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
[Nintex] said:
often the wrong people get credit, I don't think Mikami is listed in the credits in all versions of Resi4.

Let us not even start on the the Sonic creation quandary.

Elios83

LOL next up:

Hideo Kojima: "I have to confess that the only game I've designed in my life is Daikatana with my friend John, I wonder how he's going"

Tenbatsu

Elios83 said:
LOL next up:

Hideo Kojima: "I have to confess that the only game I've designed in my life is Daikatana with my friend John, I wonder how he's going"

Shigeru Miyamoto: I am not the one who created Mario. Satoru Iwata is the guy responsible. So now you see why Yamaguichi made him President of Nintendo! The truth, nothing but the truth!

USD

McDragon said:
Sigma is the real deal.
sigmaig6.jpg

This makes me wanna bring back my old avatar.

Say it ain't so!! *runs off crying*

But if you guys wanna know the real truth, nobody at Capcom really made Mega Man. The Mega Man characters and story were ripped almost verbatim from Tezuka Osamu's Astro Boy, with only a cosmetic change for a lot of the important and basic features.

Two scientists working on robots. One turns evil and leaves, stealing some of the robots for world domination. The good scientist refits the left behind robot with weapons to battle the evil scientist.

1075390024_astroboy1.jpg
megaman1.jpg

bluemax

Banned
SomeDude said:
mega man is old and boring lol

games are boring by todays standards.

Hell no my child. I just got done replaying Mega Man 1-8. There is still some quality 2D action up in that.

I wonder why Keiji chose MM's 20th anniversary to come clean?

Dark Octave said:

But if you guys wanna know the real truth, nobody at Capcom really made Mega Man. The Mega Man characters and story were ripped almost verbatim from Tezuka Osamu's Astro Boy, with only a cosmetic change for a lot of the important and basic features.

Two scientists working on robots. One turns evil and leaves, stealing some of the robots for world domination. The good scientist refits the left behind robot with weapons to battle the evil scientist.

I happened to catch an episode of the old Black and White Astro Boy on Cartoon Network this weekend and I couldn't believe how much the characters and plot made me think of both Mega Man and Mega Man X. I kind of want to watch a bunch of old Astro Boy now just to compare.

I mean, I'm fairly certain I'd noticed the similarities/heard MM was based on AB but still, I'd never really watched Astro Boy.

jaypah

Dark Octave said:

but Astro Boy didn't come out until last gen. i know, because i played it!
:p

jaypah said:
but Astro Boy didn't come out until last gen. i know, because i played it!
:p
Are you serious or joking? In case your serious Astro Boy has been around since the 50's.

lol Your joking I know it. :D

Top Bottom