• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ken Levine should remake Bioshock Infinite with the power of next-gen SSD's

Bankai

With the latest Ratchet & Clank footage, I was reminded of Bioshock Infinite and the concept of the TEAR. How fantastic would it be to actually go into a tear opened by Elisabeth and continu the game seamlessly from there?

Here a direct link with timestamp to the Ratchet & Clank footage I refer to, traveling through worlds:

I love Bioshock Infinite as we know it (although I consider it to be the weakest Bioshock game), but there's no denying that the original vision had to be altered due to technical reasons. Ken Levine talks very openly about this in numerous interviews (check the link below for one of these interviews).

Here's a direct link to an example of a tear to another world/time:

In the actual game it's always "just a backdrop" or there's long loading-times involved.

What do you guys think? Maybe the next Bioshock will offer that which wasn't possible before; seamless transitions to other worlds, not just to showcase the tech - but because it fits the story (!)

By the way, I don't think Bioshock Infinite should literally be remade :) but hopefully you all catch my drift. I think if Bioshock Infinite was in development now for next-gen (instead of PS3 generation), it would be better (no compromises) because of the possibilities the tech offers.

I'm sure given the choice to developers you'll see more games using portals and the like now that it is actually feasible.

I think you can say Bioshock Infinite was ahead of its time in its ambition, and is still a good game in its own right. But why remake it, considering doing so would cost as much as a new game? And in the end, wouldn't even be the same game. The criticism was always that, it's not like they have the original vision beta done and ready to go.

I'd prefer a spiritual sucessor, or a re-imagining of sorts.

I like Bioshock Infinite, but it was always a bit Little Mermaid with Bioshock to me. Elizabeth is totally the prototype of a Disney Princess. If the overarching idea is that good, then it can be done better too.

Last edited:

T-Cake

So how would those Bioshock rift things have worked back on Xbox 360/PS3?

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
I think after 3 games, and finishing all of them... it is fair to conclude that Ken talks big game.

P A S S

Kadayi

Banned
So thats an excuse for stiff looking shooting?
Its a FPS, its combat heavy, even showing off the weapon manufacturers......

I know, it's easy to confuse terms, but when they say RPG, they mean Role Playing Game, not Rocket Propelled Grenade. It ain't going to be as fluid as COD, Doom or Apex legends because it's not an FPS. They've been pretty clear about this since the first gameplay reveal. The FP perspective in the game is principally about immersion in the game world in the same way FP in Fallout or Skyrim is.

INC

I know, it's easy to confuse terms, but when they say RPG, they mean Role Playing Game, not Rocket Propelled Grenade. It ain't going to be as fluid as COD, Doom or Apex legends because it's not an FPS. They've been pretty clear about this since the first gameplay reveal. The FP perspective in the game is principally about immersion in the game world in the same way FP in Fallout or Skyrim is.
Great cant wait to play a FP game with guns, and have it feel like shit, no wonder there's so many lock on guns now
But i won't disagree with you, ill lower my expectations and just enjoy the other things cyberpunk has to other, like u say the rpg elements

Kadayi

Banned
Great cant wait to play a FP game with guns, and have it feel like shit, no wonder there's so many lock on guns now
But i won't disagree with you, ill lower my expectations and just enjoy the other things cyberpunk has to other, like u say the rpg elements

Well, I suspect that there will be RPGs in the RPG if that's any consolation 🤔

Also obligatory: -

mpRKjB4.jpg

#TeamCorpo

I am all for more Bioshock Infinite. But Levine has moved on, so petition Cloud Chamber to incorporate the idea.

To be frank, I wouldn’t mind a mashup of Rapture and Columbia, but roles reversed. Put Ryan as the founder of a libertarian utopia (Columbia) and Comstock as the religious fundamentalist who flees to oceans depths. Tears allow the creators to play with the formula in any which way.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I don’t know how they’re going to top Songbird, the Lutece Twins, or the buildup to the first and last game. I just hope it has an expression to it and not just built around the trends. I think you’ll just see another Remaster next gen or they will only release the next installment.

Bragr

Banned
I wonder if he's still working on that idea he had ages ago, strange we haven't seen anything from it. I know he likes to take his time but not seeing anything in this generation seems odd.

Wasn't Infinite a problem financially? I remember they had to hire people to fix something to get the game shipped because it took too long.

FunkMiller

I’d rather we got a fresh Bioshock/System Shock story.

After all, there’s always a lighthouse, there’s always a man, there’s always a city.

Mokus

Very true. The game design it would be way more impressive with an SSD. A reimagining of the game on the PS5, it would be a system seller for me.

The Alien

Banned
Yes.

That way we can all get a next gen game that is a repetitive and ultimately disappointing entry into an otherwise great franchise.

(Entry #1: BIOSHOCK Flame War: Fan of 1&2, Infinite sux. Lol)

Top Bottom