• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ken Levine talks BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea

mocoworm

Ken Levine talks BioShock Infinite: Burial at Sea - Two-part detective story where you play as Booker and Elizabeth in Rapture.

Click link for FULL interview ... it's pretty good:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-30-ken-levine-talks-bioshock-infinite-burial-at-sea

"The biggest twist of the day was the news - accompanied by a trailer and a chance to interview creative director Ken Levine - that BioShock Infinite will be taking us back to Rapture, potentially later this year, where players will get to control Booker DeWitt and Elizabeth, each of whom gets their own playable instalment in a two-part detective story called Burial at Sea. If that's not enough excitement, Burial at Sea is set on New Year's Eve, 1958 - one year before the fall of Rapture. So we get to see it in its pomp.

DLC Trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpdgtlHuKpw << FIXED LINK

I sat down with Levine about half an hour after the announcement to find out how it came about, what we can expect, and why Irrational chose to tell a new story rather than pick up one of the threads left dangling by BioShock Infinite."

Alienous

Yeah, Clash in the Clouds just seems to be filling up the '3 pack promise'. Slightly shady, if I do say so myself.

Burial at Sea seems awesome, though.

GAF is getting full of Bioshock threads now :p If you want to I can just add this to the OP of the other thread instead. There's the same discussion going on in quite a few threads now.

Dmax3901

Ken Levine: You know, here's actually what happens, Tom. There's content that... And this is sort of the tragedy. You know the term unintended consequences?

BIOSHOCK IS HALF LIFE THREE ALL ALONG.

mocoworm

GAF is getting full of Bioshock threads now :p I you want to I can just add this to the OP of the other thread instead. There's the same discussion going on in quite a few threads now.

This is about an interview with Ken. The other threads are announcement threads. Completely different. Replies in here will be about what Ken is saying in this specific interview.

Chokomofo

Banned
Clash in the Clouds does not seem to fit well with the BioShock universe, IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if it was just contractually created to fill the required number of packs in a timely fashion.

If that's not enough excitement, Burial at Sea is set on New Year's Eve, 1958 - one year before the fall of Rapture. So we get to see it in its pomp.

That sells it for me; exploring a pre-fall rapture is what I wanted Bioshock 2 to have been.

Tekku

"The story takes place on New Year's Eve, 1958, which is the night that the bombing happened in the original Rapture and the revolution started, and we were really excited, having done all the work on the population - a living, breathing population in Columbia - because Rapture was a tomb, y'know? Originally we wanted to show Rapture when it was fully alive, but do it in the context of an interesting story, not just to go back and talk about Midi-chlorians, you know? To do it in a sort of integrated way, but to tell a story we thought was important to tell with these characters as well."

*drool*

I'm glad they identified the possibility of a living breathing Rapture, Columbia felt, sounded, looked so much better because of how it was populated compared to Rapture.

Reminds me of :
ij4j.png

Chris_C

I really wish the focus on combat was heavily, heavily tuned down in something like Burial at Sea. Rapture in it's pomp is the kind of place I want to explore, not blow stuff up.

Dmax3901

Elizabeth will become the splicer that goes, "IS IT SOMEONE NEW?" when you first enter Rapture in the original Bioshock.

SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII...

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT...

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect Its perfect

I cannot contain my excitement, this is what Christmas must be like for normal people. Rapture....Pre Destruction....Detective

Hook this shit into my fucking veigns and bury me with a copy when I die!

Santar

A bit of a sad read that there actually is more story and characters from Columbia but because the internets would be up in arms and accuse them of holding the content back from the main game it will never be released.

Courage

A bit of a sad read that there actually is more story and characters from Columbia but because the internets would be up in arms and accuse them of holding the content back from the main game it will never be released.

That's why you don't appease the minority like that. They already proved they're not holding anything back by not releasing a DLC 4 months after launch. I'd take an expansion of their newly built world rather than Rapture.

Santar

That's why you don't appease the minority like that. They already proved they're not holding anything back by not releasing a DLC 4 months after launch. I'd take an expansion of their newly built world rather than Rapture.

Yeah, Rapture feels a bit played out by now as we've already gotten two games set there.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris

I appreciate how nice the world was but come on, insofar as personality goes it doesnt hold a candle to rapture. And we are talking about an upgraded rapture with prettier lighting and graphics!

Well, who knows where we might head.

Interesting...

You know, this is about a year before the events of BioShock 1, and so you'll meet some characters before they've gone as deeply crazy as they have [in BioShock]. Some fan favourites, but they're not just cameos - they're deeply integrated into the story.

Ryan and Fontaine are the two biggest ones.

I hope to see Stienman and Sander Cohen, who probably will be as mad as he was in BS1.

I wonder if they integrate any characters from BS2 though.

RedSwirl

I really wish the focus on combat was heavily, heavily tuned down in something like Burial at Sea. Rapture in it's pomp is the kind of place I want to explore, not blow stuff up.

This.

But honestly, I was done with Rapture when I finished the original BioShock.

Now if we could see the Von Braun in today's graphics...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yeah, Clash in the Clouds just seems to be filling up the '3 pack promise'. Slightly shady, if I do say so myself.

That was obvious from day one when they were coy about what the season pass included.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=48041303

2K Games and Irrational Games today announced that production of downloadable content has recently begun for their forthcoming BioShock® Infinite and revealed details of the BioShock Infinite Season Pass*. Three all-new add-on packs are in development that will provide hours of additional gameplay and continue the player’s journey in the sky-city of Columbia with new stories, characters, abilities and weapons.

Here's my post in that thread
I actually can't understand the PR in the OP. There are three add-on packs. These three do not include the Early Bird Special Pack. The add-on packs "provide hours of additional gameplay and continue the player's journey in the sky-city of Columbia with new stories, characters, abilities and weapons". Does this mean that there are three story-based add-on packs, or could it be one story add-on pack and two ability/weapon packs? I guess what I'm saying is... what specifically is included in the Season Pass?

And here's what FartOfWar replied to another poster with:
FartOfWar said:
These are self contained stories, comprised of completely unique content. These do not include cut material, and we're working on them now. Nothing was withheld from Infinite. This is new and altogether unique material (three separate stories, with unique contexts and content - not weapon/upgrade packs). If you're skeptical, save your money and see what we have to offer when the time comes. I'm sitting here working on it as I browse, and as always the disparity between my lived experience and the notions in circulation here can be comical.

They've always been very clear not to specify that it was 3 story based add-ons, but rather at least some story content included within 3 add-ons.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
If that's not enough excitement, Burial at Sea is set on New Year's Eve, 1958 - one year before the fall of Rapture. So we get to see it in its pomp.

Great. When Bio2 was all but confirmed I'd hoped it'd be a prequel.

Pooya

so, this isn't connected to Infinite's story then, sorta what if fiction? or alternate timeline something.

sounds good enough, though I kinda wanted to see more of Columbia.

hree all-new add-on packs are in development that will provide hours of additional gameplay and continue the player&#8217;s journey in the sky-city of Columbia

and then these are set in Rapture :<

Top Bottom