• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kena: Bridge of Spirits Story Trailer & Release Date

CamHostage

Looks kind of washed out from how I remember it in older videos? I may have to go hunt one down.

Compare and contrast:

2020:

2021:

Seems the same to me, but I've got no eye for these things.

As long as the framerate holds up, I like what I see. Looks fun AF, very old-school action/adventure, and I really am into how those little ghibli things become part of your battle technique.

So another delay?

Yep. Sucks.

Portugeezer

Just let me know if it's good, other than that, I don't need to see more.

Play on a relaxing afternoon for a few hours and see where it takes you. Those are the vibes I'm getting.

Their art team is crazy talented

Sony should buy them, deliver a truck full of cash and order them to make a Zelda kind of game in this universe with a higher budget

I love what I see. So much so, that I dont expect it to be more than 5h long (especially at $40)

With the way sony has been acting lately. I'm afraid they are too dumb to act on such an idea. maybe back in the ps4 days and late generation of the ps3. not now, just seems like missed opportunities and disappointment.

Hugare

With the way sony has been acting lately. I'm afraid they are too dumb to act on such an idea. maybe back in the ps4 days and late generation of the ps3. not now, just seems like missed opportunities and disappointment.
Dont know man, they inject money in some great medium sized projects like "Sackboy: A Big Adventure", "Gravity Rush 2" and "Concrete Genie"

A game with graphics like these in a BOTW formula would sell a lot, especially by a first party studio

Dont know man, they inject money in some great medium sized projects like "Sackboy: A Big Adventure", "Gravity Rush 2" and "Concrete Genie"

A game with graphics like these in a BOTW formula would sell a lot, especially by a first party studio

True, it depends on the games success I suppose. we'll have to see, I definitely would think it'd be cool if they did throw a bunch of money to fund a project similar to what you said though.

kyliethicc

Sony should buy them, deliver a truck full of cash and order them to make a Zelda kind of game in this universe with a higher budget

I love what I see. So much so, that I dont expect it to be more than 5h long (especially at $40)
If Kena sells, and Ember Lab are interested, maybe Sony would consider funding and publishing a game made by them (for the right price).

But I doubt Sony would buy an indie dev.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Yeah, that‘s what I was thinking... Shit, will there be any significant PS5 release until Rachet in June? Don‘t there there is anything left now.
Returnal, odd world, resident evil, and a bunch of ps4 games :/. But hey, thats what console launch first years look like. Remember how dire 2014 was? The first year after the holiday 2013 launch of the ps4 and xbox one.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Returnal, odd world, resident evil, and a bunch of ps4 games :/. But hey, thats what console launch first years look like. Remember how dire 2014 was? The first year after the holiday 2013 launch of the ps4 and xbox one.
Oh yeah, forgot about RE. Darn it...
My memory might be a bit flimsy. Don‘t remember it being this dry in the past gens for some reason.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Oh yeah, forgot about RE. Darn it...
My memory might be a bit flimsy. Don‘t remember it being this dry in the past gens for some reason.

at least this time we have backwards compatibility. Last time both south park the stick of truth and borderlands the pre-sequel released exclusively for the xbox 360 and ps3 in early 2014 after a ton of people traded in their older consoles to upgrade.

SkylineRKR

Yeah, that‘s what I was thinking... Shit, will there be any significant PS5 release until Rachet in June? Don‘t there there is anything left now.

Soulstorm I guess. I'm looking forward to that. But yeah i'm kinda gutted because Kena looks really charming and would be a nice game to have this spring. Its being pushed back for nearly half a year basically. Comes out in the wake of Rift Apart now.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The game at least from what we've seen, seems to have created a fantasy world that looks immersive and impressive, hopefully it pans out! I have a good feeling.......

martino

i'm sure that end refers to

as a youngster Nathan would say: sic parvis magna

Last edited:

octiny

Banned
Looks good! I like these types of games.

Wish it was coming sooner, but definitely picking it up on PC.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

The cinematics are CGI.

The gameplay portions aren't particularly impressive graphically. (and we've seen so little of it)

This is such a "wait and see" game; by a totally unproven dev.. lead by people who've never made a game..

Temper your expectations folks; talking about Sony buying the studio already? Heh.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
It looks like the price will only be $40/40€, which makes me thing the game is probably on the short side. Or perhaps they're just using the low price to gain momentum since they're such a new team of developers.

The cinematics are CGI.
I'm fairly sure they're not pre-rendered. They're rendered real-time and in-engine but maybe with different settings and/or assets than what we're getting in the gameplay.
Though gameplay graphics do seem impressive to me.

ToTTenTranz

Banned
They definitely are, the devs said as much on Twitter. In-engine pre-rendered.
Well I just checked their twitter and I stand corrected.

Let's just hope the devs include very high bitrate / resolution videos for those cutscenes. Nowadays, few things are more off-putting than watching 1080p30 videos with lots of compression artifacts in the middle of games rendered at 4K60.

Still waiting for the ps4 version to go up at amazon u.s site.
Will worry about the ps5 version later as that's going to be impossible to find (a ps5 that is) for a year or two thanks to shortage, scalpers, and production due to the pandemic.

I'm just hoping this is not a repeat of Horizon Zero Dawn. My hype for that game was off the chart when I saw that first teaser video for it with the narration by Aloy. To this day I am not sure why I bothered to complete the whole thing. There were only two characters in that entire game that I actually liked, and all the others ranged from (who are you again?) at best, to (please stop talking and jump off a very tall cliff) at worse.

Wow, Amazon does not have the pre order listing, but they have all kinds of weird merch for this game.
I mean, just look at all this stuff.
It's like that scene from SpaceBalls

Notebook

Steering wheel cover:

cosplay outfit:

Bathroom floor coverings in case you want to give Kena a golden shower (WHY???)

Garden Flag

Laptop cover:

Backpack:

Tumblers:

Carry case for laptops

Tire covers:

Ipad cases

Outdoors giant hanging flags:

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Do we have any info about minimum specs?
MinimumRecommended
OS
64-bit Windows 7/8.1/10
OS
64-bit Windows 7/8.1/10
Processor
AMD FX-6100/Intel i3-3220 or Equivalent
Processor
AMD Ryzen 7 1700/Intel i7-6700K or Equivalent
Memory
8 GB RAM
Memory
16 GB RAM
Storage
25 GB
Storage
25 GB
Direct X
Version 11
Direct X
Version 11
Graphics
AMD Radeon HD 7750/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 or Equivalent
Graphics
AMD RX Vega 56/ Nvidia GTX 1070 or Equivalent

Sygma

A Starfox : Prince of Persia (xb360) x Kubo and the two strings Adventures

... day one

Last edited:

N30RYU

A Starfox : Prince of Persia (xb360) x Kubo and the two strings Adventures

... day one
It's Kameo + Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom to me...

looks really great... a bit strange it's only $40.... so must be really short

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

I'm just hoping this is not a repeat of Horizon Zero Dawn. My hype for that game was off the chart when I saw that first teaser video for it with the narration by Aloy. To this day I am not sure why I bothered to complete the whole thing. There were only two characters in that entire game that I actually liked, and all the others ranged from (who are you again?) at best, to (please stop talking and jump off a very tall cliff) at worse.

Wow, Amazon does not have the pre order listing, but they have all kinds of weird merch for this game.
I mean, just look at all this stuff.
It's like that scene from SpaceBalls

Notebook

Steering wheel cover:

cosplay outfit:

Bathroom floor coverings in case you want to give Kena a golden shower (WHY???)

Garden Flag

Laptop cover:

Backpack:

Tumblers:

Carry case for laptops

Tire covers:

Ipad cases

Outdoors giant hanging flags:
When is the lingerie & sex toy line coming out?

So at their twitter they said that they will work on getting physical editions, but not yet.
I'll be waiting.

Last edited:

Quasicat

Is this a timed or full console exclusive? I have looked online and am finding people saying it is and it’s not. 🙄

Yes, the little black things had fur, not it's more like flattened. Also there are artifacts of image reconstruction around her hair and geometry overall seems to be toned down.
Funny you should mention the fur, because I was re-watching two videos (old and new) side by side last night and that was one of the things I noticed, too. It's a shame, but I guess they gotta do what they gotta do.

Hunnybun

Game is incredibly beautiful. Quite a bit better than what we saw last summer IMO.

What do we think the performance profile is going to be? I mean, no way this can hit 1080p30 on base PS4, right? Not without heavy downgrades to the graphics.

I'm thinking dynamic 4k30 on PS5 and like 720-900p on PS4, with lower settings.

Top Bottom