• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kendrick Lamar halts performance after white fan he invited on stage says N-word

I'll just leave the link to this news and won't comment on it for now, i'm interested in hearing what you guys think about this.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...an-rapping-n-word-onstage-video-a8362551.html

The rapper - who was performing his hit 'M.A.A.D City' at Hangout Festival on Sunday night - had invited a white, female fan called Delaney onto the stage with him, but interrupted her after she repeatedly used the N-word during the track.

During the Alabama festival, the Lamar stopped the music when he heard the fan rap the racial slur, which features in the track's lyrics, multiple times.

When the music stopped, Delaney asked: "Aren't I cool enough for you? What's up, bro?"

The audience booed the fan after hearing her rap the racial slur three times.

Lamar proceeded to say "you got to bleep one single word, though," referring to the fan's use of the N-word.

The fan replied, suggesting it was an absentminded mistake: "Oh, I’m sorry. Did I do it? I’m so sorry… I’m used to singing it like you wrote it."

finowns

I didn't watch the video because I can't do cringe. But I was reading comments about this story on reddit and I guess the crowd started booing her before KL asked her to censor the song, so maybe he felt compelled by the crowd to say something?; I could be entirely wrong though. I want to see what KL says before I have an opinion about this specific instance.

But if Kendrick expects white people to not say the n-word when singing along to his songs he's crazy.

I don’t sing-along to songs. I bothers me when others do, including my wife and daughter. I boo the idea of me paying to see some random nobody performing instead of the artist on my ticket.

Yep, I am just a ton of fun to be around.

Wait, by "saying the N-word" do they actually mean "repeating his lyrics that already had the N-word"?

You always have to unbox these sorts of stories to get to what actually happened.

How about not putting moronic words in your songs in the first place.

Asking her to come and sing along and then calling her out for singing along in front of a big audience is the only disrespectful thing that happened here.

How about not putting moronic words in your songs in the first place.

Asking her to come and sing along and then calling her out for singing along in front of a big audience is the only disrespectful thing that happened here.
Was it staged? It kind of feels that way to me.

It's Jeff

Banned
I don’t sing-along to songs. I bothers me when others do, including my wife and daughter. I boo the idea of me paying to see some random nobody performing instead of the artist on my ticket.

Yep, I am just a ton of fun to be around.

I never thought about it like this. My house painter shouldn't hand me a brush and the can of Dunn-Edwards. You've given me an entirely new perspective, and thank you.

And also N-word controversy yada yada white people yada yada.

Grinchy

Banned
"I'm going to invite someone on stage to rap along with me, knowing what my lyrics are, and then get mad because the white person I chose to do it with was white."

Pathetic nonsense.

Breakage

I've long thought that the idea that the n-word can be reclaimed and made "good" exclusively by black people to be utterly stupid. What other ethnic group takes pride in repeating a racial slur among themselves but demands that no one else uses it?
If a word is so offensive, then no one should be using it. The belief that your skin colour determines whether you can use it or not is such bullshit.

It would make sense to slowly phase out the N word from media and music. Cause kids all around the world are listening to this songs, learning the word and using it because it sounds cool. They see the coolest rappers from the USA using it and they want to be like them.

Here there is a spanish guy. He was an actor as a kid. Then, as a teenager he started smoking pot and starting to want to be gangster. And here you have him now (Warning white kid using N word):

This n word shit is weird as fuck, I still dont know the difference between nigger and nigga. How can one be bad but the other not?

This controllng how people speak is rather worrying. Saying the word nigger in a song that has it in it is racist now?

I'm glad I dont live in America, feels like you constantly have to walk on racial egg shells

This n word shit is weird as fuck, I still dont know the difference between nigger and nigga.

Seriously? One is a slur and the other is basically the equivalent of "homie"/"pal" after reappropriating the former term and turning it into something positive. The second one is likely to be adopted into common usage, phased out or possibly as I've been thinking about lately be replaced by something like "nibba". Some people think language is something you own and don't want people to use the second, but it's pretty much an argument that won't hold, especially with time.

Seriously? One is a slur and the other is basically the equivalent of "homie"/"pal" after reappropriating the former term and turning it into something positive. The second one is likely to be adopted into common usage, phased out or possibly as I've been thinking about lately be replaced by something like "nibba". Some people think language is something you own and don't want people to use the second, but it's pretty much an argument that won't hold, especially with time.

But it still means the same thing right? An African person?

Feels odd that black Americans can say it but whites can't. I mean its in that guys song.

Language is for everyone, you cannot patrol talking or singing, thats insane

Feels odd that black Americans can say it but whites can't. I mean its in that guys song.

Use Ninja, I would be described as a desert Ninja in the states. I say Ninja please when black friends use the n word liberally.

You used to say it for 400 years, can't stop now?

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
It's like he was just searching for something to nag about. I don't understand this nagger.

Use Ninja, I would be described as a desert Ninja in the states. I say Ninja please when black friends use the n word liberally.

You used to say it for 400 years, can't stop now?
I dont need to use ninja or nigger or nigga in my day to day life. I also see this n word use as silly as the Victorian era people covering up Davids penis.

And nice try with the 400 years comment, im a Latvian who grew up in a Soviet occupied country. Im sure i know more about oppression than you ever would.

Take a hike with that race baiting turd of a comment

It is very very offensive to black people when it comes from non black people. Specially when it ends with an R.
It's like saying you are racist and you hate their guts.

Also, if you think a black person is an african person, then to you white people are european people. Only real americans are the indians.

It is very very offensive to black people when it comes from non black people. Specially when it ends with an R.
It's like saying you are racist and you hate their guts.

Also, if you think a black person is an african person, then to you white people are european people. Only real americans are the indians.

Well i would say white people are European. Im aware that there are other black people but i would call them indians or asians etc

Thanks for the serious reply though :)

base

Banned
Yes, only Afroamericans can use the N-word among them. When white people use it, it's racism.

I dont need to use ninja or nigger or nigga in my day to day life. I also see this n word use as silly as the Victorian era people covering up Davids penis.

And nice try with the 400 years comment, im a Latvian who grew up in a Soviet occupied country. Im sure i know more about oppression than you ever would.

Take a hike with that race baiting turd of a comment
With no due respect go fuck yourself.

If European Americans see that racial slur as no longer offensive cause it's been reappropriated into popular culture then that's their issue, your oppressors are on the other side, and I could give a crap.

A person of "X" skin colour , can not do "Y"

This is racism, by definition.
This. It's my biggest problem with the whole "black face" outrage. Like, a white person can't paint their face black and wear corn rows and drink 40's an yell "skeet skeet my n-words!" just because they're white? Anybody against black face is the REAL racist.

If European Americans see that racial slur as no longer offensive cause it's been reappropriated into popular culture then that's their issue, your oppressors are on the other side, and I could give a crap.

Odd stance to take when you get call out for race baiting but whatever.

Take a look at David Ricardos posts, thats how you communicate. This isnt counter strike

lil puff

This thread got interesting quickly..
As to be expected. There won't be a kumbaya moment with this sort of subject.

I don't know if I can be bothered enough to care what other people do in their own time with their choice of slang, but someone chanting a song seems to have obvious different intent than someone walking up to you and blaring it in your face.

Arkhan

Grand Vizier of Khemri
Staff Member

This is a great example of how to respond to a different view point if you don't much value being here. You don't have to respect the person you are talking with, but you do need to address them respectfully.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
So I'm pretty sure that everyone in general universally thinks the following:

- White people using the n-word is knowingly offensive
- Black people are allowed to use the n-word in whatever context they want and it is knowingly not offensive (I'm generalizing)

...in any normal social context, a white person using the n-word is knowingly using a word that is offensive to black people. It isn't a suppression of free speech that these social contracts exist around this word. You are free to say whatever word you like. But if you're white and you use that word in public, you MUST know that you're breaching these generally accepted facts of society. You cannot act surprised or upset if people get upset with you or offended.

Now here's a grey area that I don't think there's been any generally accepted conclusion:

- White people singing the n-word in a song

...I think contextually, it's understood that the word being regurgitated as part of a song isn't intended to really offend anyone, but IS a breach of the universally understood "white people using the n-word is offensive" thing above.

I'm genuinely interested in what black people think about this. Like if a white person is in their home or their car singing along to the lyrics, would that person be expected to censor themselves in private? Would you care if you knew that every single white person was in their home singing these lyrics which included the n-word?

...and if you don't care about them doing it in private, do you now care if they're doing it in public?

I think based on the reactions we see, the answer is at the VERY LEAST: yes, SOME people get offended.

If this is the case, than white people in general should either just censor themselves in public by default unless explicitly cleared to go ahead and sing it. That's the safest route to go. If you don't really know your audience and their views on this, it's best to just be cautious.

Being in a very public setting around strangers is not the time to test the waters on this.

I don't think any of these social contract things are inherently racist. Of course white people are ALLOWED to say the n-word. Someone who's saying "white people can't say the n-word" isn't literally saying that it's a criminal offense for white people to say the n-word. They're more saying "if white people say the n-word, it will offend me".

I understand this woman in the crowd probably didn't have time to really think all this through. There was a ton of emotion and social pressure in that situation, I can understand why she wouldn't be thinking clearly in this scenario, and would be too embarrassed to either attempt to censor herself or ask for permission. Of all the shit to get upset about, I don't think this ranks super high.

If Kendrick was being a bit more understanding, he'd let it all go and then make some little joke at the end like "that was great...but don't let me hear you saying that n-word anymore now that you're done!" and everyone would go about their lives.

...I've officially wrote way to fucking much about this. o_O

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
It makes me sad how easily people likes to feel ofended.

The nword thing could have been a thing from the past long time ago if it werent for the people giving totally unnecessary importance to it.

lil puff

It makes me sad how easily people likes to feel ofended.

The nword thing could have been a thing from the past long time ago if it werent for the people giving totally unnecessary importance to it.
I don't think anyone actually enjoys being offended. Rather perhaps there is a (warranted or not)an element of ownership towards a part of culture. You see this in other areas, like music, fashion, and even food sometimes. And emotion does not always follow logic - it may be more rare that it does.

Hence the tough discussions on subjects around racism.

kunonabi

He asked her to come up and perform a song with the word in it which is no different than having an actor use it in a film or play. She isnt at fault in any way.

Man I understand the issue, but expecting a fan that comes on stage to have the presence of mind to improvise on top of your song is absolutely not realistic.

RubxQub

Also, here's the entire incident for reference:

...I think Kendrick heard the fans reacting how they did, and knew he had to address it somehow. I could see the argument that he was trying to save her from the other fans and wasn't so much personally offended by it.

I don't know, I think the reaction to this whole thing is kind of stupid. The white chick wasn't trying to offend anyone (although the way she kept calling him bro and saying she was cool was super off-putting), and Kendrick didn't seem so much offended as he was just reacting to how the crowd reacted.

Now that I've seen the whole thing I think Kendrick was trying to be a good guy and tried to save the situation.

Man I understand the issue, but expecting a fan that comes on stage to have the presence of mind to improvise on top of your song is absolutely not realistic.
That makes sense.

Perhaps they both simply assumed and were incorrect.

I’ve never understood outrage when an issue resolved itself instantly.

That makes sense.

Perhaps they both simply assumed and were incorrect.

I’ve never understood outrage when an issue resolved itself instantly.

Absolutely agreed, it's tough for Kendrick as well given the crowd's reaction. This is one of those situations that it could have turned into a clusterfuck of awkwardness and gladly it didn't. I wish we collectively didn't overthink these "in the moment" things because we're all humans and not infallible social robots that won't fumble any interaction. It's sad that it seems like nowadays we expect others to follow our standards of perfection 24/7.

Last edited:
W

Whataborman

Unconfirmed Member
Seems like a publicity stunt to me. I feel sorry for the girl, who was likely an unwitting participant.

When he stopped her she should have responded by telling him to fuck off, and then walked off the stage.

RubxQub

Seems like a publicity stunt to me. I feel sorry for the girl, who was likely an unwitting participant.

When he stopped her she should have responded by telling him to fuck off, and then walked off the stage.
I mean, if she wanted to get killed by the audience, sure.

I mean, if she wanted to get killed by the audience, sure.
That's thinking I never understood. You said a word that is hurtful to me so I am going to physically hurt you seems incredibly barbaric.

Humans need to devote more time to actually resolving conflict in other ways than violence.

RubxQub

That's thinking I never understood. You said a word that is hurtful to me so I am going to physically hurt you seems incredibly barbaric.

Humans need to devote more time to actually resolving conflict in other ways than violence.
Totally agree, but given the state of the room, I think it was pretty clear that the audience was turning hostile against her.

TrainedRage

Banned
He asked her on stage to sing the lyrics to a song he wrote. Then he called her out for singing the lyrics in the song he wrote?

What do you expect? Like how can people be upset by this? Who is upset?

NickFire

This thread shows just how much white people actually "want" to use the "N" word in their daily lives publically.
I usually find your take on issues to be fair / interesting whether I agree with them or not. But how do you get that take out of this situation? There's a huge difference between innocently singing along with a song as written and after being invited to sing along by a world famous superstar, and wanting to run dropping "N" bombs on a regular basis.

Top Bottom