• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

kermit.gif: Dragon Quest Press Event in Japan [DQIX = 28/3, 5980yen, DQX = Wii]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fritz

xs_mini_neo said:
But GC did.

There is an obvious difference between the gc and the wii, and I dont mean the controller.

Everything was pointing on dqx on wii but I dont think anyone can be sure about developer's decisions these days. Including kh3. That it hasn't been announced yet might point to a wii release though

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Fritz said:
There is an obvious difference between the gc and the wii, and I dont mean the controller.

Everything was pointing on dqx on wii but I dont think anyone can be sure about developer's decisions these days. Including kh3. That it hasn't been announced yet might point to a wii release though

I still think KH3 is more likely to be released for the next generation of consoles, given the projects Nomura is already busy on.

KrawlMan

bdouble said:
aren't there unnanounced games? Of course they might still put Crystal Bearers under it.

Exactly what I was thinking. If Crystal Bearers doesn't end up getting the FFXIII label thrown on it, I'm sure there's some other project in development.

jred250 said:
Yeah, but what kind of numbers did the first and second KH do? Something like this would result in the mindblowing Smash Brothers Brawl-initial sales (IMO, I would imagine that the same people who bought SSBB day 1 would do the same for KH3) while sales potential would remain through the roof with it being on the most prolific console of the generation.

The demographics are there, past performance of the series is great and the last collaborative game (SSBB) on the console of this scope set records as being the fasting selling Nintendo game (I can't remember if it was Wii only, or in all of Nintendo's history, I believe the latter).

Nintendo and Square collaborated in the past with wonderful results (SMRPG), Square and Disney collaborated in the past with good results (I believe) so a collaboration between three of the parties wouldn't be unfounded and could be very plausible, legal hurdles be damned.
A collaboration between all three would be EXPONENTIALLY more complicated. We're talking an order of magnitude here. KH already has FF characters, Disney characters, and cartoonish FF-style characters owned by Disney. There is a LOT of micromanagement going on because Disney (and Square and Nintendo) keeps their IPs under tight control and doesn't permit, for example, Mickey Mouse to act differently from approved behavior. Do you think Nintendo wants Mario to be a voiced story character for the first time (i. e. saying more than his few catchphrases)? Or Link? Or should they look like weirdos next to characters who actually speak? These IP treatment issues are just one element of the complications here, beyond things like royalties negotiations and ownership. Square-Enix throws in the FF characters more or less as a freebie because they own them. Getting Nintendo into the mix would be insanely complicated. Sure it'd sell amazingly well, but that doesn't mean you can just throw logic out the window or say 'legal hurdles be damned.' That's not how the real world works.

Meh, KH is owned by Disney so Im sure they are at some pretty high position of power over what happens to it. I don't think a team of S-E devs could go against what they say when it come to where the game goes.
(And at this rate it's going to either be on the Wii with jazzed up graphics/ FF:CB graphics engine or they are going to skip this gen of consoles. I mean . . . just look at how long it's taking for the HD FF to come out)

But hell, I just want to see a KH with Nintendo added in the mix (Disney/ S-E/ Nintendo . . . it's a wet dream waiting to happen!).

felipeko

Black-Wind said:
Meh, KH is owned by Disney so Im sure they are at some pretty high position of power over what happens to it. I don't think a team of S-E devs could go against what they say when it come to where the game goes.
From what i know, this is true. But S-E could refuse to make KH where Disney wants. So it's not like they have no say.

Eteric Rice

felipeko said:
From what i know, this is true. But S-E could refuse to make KH where Disney wants. So it's not like they have no say.

I think the last thing Square wants is to lose KH because of some of their developers.

And KH without Disney characters would just be lame.

Eteric Rice said:
I think the last thing Square wants is to lose KH because of some of their developers.

And KH without Disney characters would just be lame.
Especially because Sora, Riku, Kairi, and all of the Kingdom Hearts-originated characters belong to Disney.

felipeko said:
I believe that Disney would have a greater amount of power in such a case.

And I really don't think S-E would risk pissing off Disney (who could previde any number of clear reasons for a Wii KH. From cost/ time effectiveness to the install base to the main age the series is geared towards) just so that a team of their devs could make a graphical beast on the HD consoles (which we all know aint too big when it comes to the age group of Disney fans).

But thats just my opinion. IDK WTH Disney wants to do with the series at this point. :lol

Dascu said:
Does anyone even want Kingdom Hearts 3 Wii?

I don't care much about the game, but the ensuing meltdowns would be hilarious. So I'm really hoping for it; there are so few potential betrayaltons left after FFXIII went multiplatform.

camineet said:
I think it would be absolutely fucking AMAZING if Wii Dragon Quest X's gameplay engine could look like the cinematics used in the trailer for DS DQIX A very unique & stylish 2D/3D engine. I think the Wii might be upto something like that, rather than just an enhanced DQVIII engine. Granted it would take longer, but so what. Some don't expect DQX before 2012 anyway.

That seems do-able.

I just remembered that S-E had made their Crystal Engine Tools (?) made to support the Wii. Still want to see what they plan to use that on.

felipeko said:
But S-E could refuse to make KH where Disney wants.
And then what happens?

If it ever came to that point, Disney could just say "Screw you" and give it to one of their in-house devs.

The only characters from KH that S-E actually owns are the FF characters.

Dascu said:
Why not?

I want some sort of indicator that devs are taking the Wii seriously. Dragon Quest X is great, but it wouldn't be as much of a "gamble" compared to something with much more international appeal.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
EatChildren said:
Plus, as I said, Disney have a say as to which platform the title goes. They don’t just sit on the backburner and let Square-Enix handle the whole thing. They naturally want to see their IP's used correctly and the title released on a platform they feel appropriate.

That's why I'd bet on it going to the Wii. The Wii's demographic coupled with massive install-base should make it the most appropriate platform.

I don't think Disney have as much say in the matter as you think - why would a company who is as multiplatform-friendly as they come feel the need to have Kingdom Hearts 1 AND 2 stay exclusive to the PS2? For the Final Fantasy lineage? I don't think that sort of thing would be a factor to them.

If it goes to the Wii it'd be Square-Enix's choice, not Disney's. Likewise if it went to PS3.

Sadist

Father_Brain said:
I don't care much about the game, but the ensuing meltdowns would be hilarious. So I'm really hoping for it; there are so few potential betrayaltons left after FFXIII went multiplatform.
Well, I don't know about the Kingdom Hearts series (never played it, do think it looks cool) but for the same reason as Father_Brain, the meltdowns would be funny. Then again, I'd like more games with more effort on my Wii. Personally, I hope that DQ X is the first of many.

Of course we all know that this won't be happening though :(

markatisu

I think it needs to be states for the KH discussion that the bulk of Disney software sales come from Nintendo Platforms now

Even though they are multi platform they Disney Interactive brand sells most on Wii and DS (example are High School Musical Sing It, Hanna Montana World Tour, and Wall-E)

So its not like Disney does not stand to make some $$$$ if they opted for a Wii KH game

schuelma said:
I still think KH3 is more likely to be released for the next generation of consoles, given the projects Nomura is already busy on.

Yeah, you don't think they'll re-use the FFX yet again? And they won't try to use the wiimote for the Keyblade? Comon, now.

manueldelalas said:
Have you seen both games? The DS version is downright horrendous. This is the only reason I think the PSP version will sell much more.

I'm not saying it because the DS has better graphics or something like that (jeez...), and yes I own a DS and I think it is far better than the PSP (I think it is the best console ever, so many titles that appeal to me).

So tone down a little, you are just too touchy.

While I do admit that it doesn't look nearly as good as Dragon Quest IX, Moon, or Winds of Nostagio it really isn't that bad.

khds-5.jpg

dsss17-cg-792594828ppapapa.jpg

dsss18-cg-792594828ppapapa.jpg

Dascu said:

I don't want Kingdom Hearts 3 period.

Parish said:
And here's why: 2008 was the year I stopped caring about AAA releases. They're the grease that keeps the wheels of my job spinning, I realize; if it weren't for the hype around Gears of War and the frothing fanboy brain seizures prompted by any mention of Killzone 2, I'd probably be out of work. But god, I'm so sick of vapid big-budget games. I guess they're a sign that the games industry has finally achieved its goal of catching up with Hollywood, because most blockbuster game releases feel as mentally empty and emotionally void as your typical $200-million-budget-Don-LaFontaine-would-have-narrated-the-trailer-when-he-was-alive film. So well done, games industry. You've realized your dream at last. Too bad it wasn't the right dream. Games aren't movies, and the horrors of Siliwood should have proven that...yet the biggest and most visible games still use "Hollywood summer hit" as their model. Sometime around June, I finally got sick of it

As someone who is young and played all of the old games for the first time ever I cannot agree more with this. Some of those games are so far beyond and ahead of todays games it's amazing that they didn't catch on. Half-Life and Banjo Kazooie were far more "3D" then today's games are as Half-Life truly had you use your environments and interactivity to progress while Banjo-Kazooie gave the true meaning of exploration. Fallout 2 truly gave me the feeling of being in a living breathing world and that I was on a true adventure as it seemed nothing was scripted for me. Back in those days "3D" meant true interactivity and exploration, where as of now "3D" is a standard way to create a console game where its purpose is to immerse the player through "life-like" cinematics and events.

And honestly I think this is why I don't really care whether or not games transfer from being on the 360 to Wii because in all honesty in the realm of gameplay hardly anything will change. I mean the games I previously listed are far and away above the games of today in what they try and do. I'm not saying that power doesn't matter because it certainly does because it allows things to be done that otherwise couldn't be, but in reality it is in no way the most important factor. When you think about it "next-gen" consoles always try to sell by having better physics, A.I., graphics, and the likes for a more immersive experience. But when you think about it it isn't these things that make a game immersive at all, it's direction and control over the product.

Easily the most immersive thing to me this generation was Half-Life Episode 2. (Spoilers ahead since I don't know how to do spoiler tags, sorry :( ) The scenes of the ant-lions attacking my post, the part of taking down the giant striders with sticky bombs, the combine taking over the forest were breath taking. Even in this forum you find similar views, hell what was the most voted game of immersion I saw in a thread? Gear of War? No. Crysis? No. It was Portal. And when you look at these games they aren't very cutting edge at all. The Wii could easily run these games (well Half-Life would need some graphics sacrificed). Immersion from "feeling" and "attachment" or enjoyable and addictive gameplay aren't caused by cutting edge physics, 1080p high definition graphics, or even cutting edge A.I., it's well designed levels and directed progression that leads to these things.

I'm not saying that cutting edge graphics and quad-core components aren't need for some games. However for the majority (and especially a game like Dragon Quest), if I'm playing a game and find myself saying things like "this would be so much better in HD" or "this is so unimmersive" then the game itself really isn't worth my time nor is the developer.

bdouble said:
yeah +10 or w/e now. That article nailed it. Definitely why people are enjoying the Wii and DS presently. They still have games that are meant to be a game. None of this Hollywood BS.

Man such a good rant.

Yeah I agree. Though I don't like the Nintendo flaming but while some of it I disagree with (dumbing down franchises? What?) I do agree with most of it.

And while I do enjoy the DS there are some things bothering me such as developers not taking it that seriously (which is very slowly but starting to change) and the lack of progression in 2D games in which I discuss in my rant article.

(You seem like a Vanillaware fan so possibly you'd be interested)

Askia47

"I'm not saying that cutting edge graphics and quad-core components aren't need for some games. However for the majority (and especially a game like Dragon Quest), if I'm playing a game and find myself saying things like "this would be so much better in HD" or "this is so unimmersive" then the game itself really isn't worth my time nor is the developer."

Does this mean that HD shouldn't really make a difference in the gameplay of a game? And if it does then something is wrong with that game?

RJT

How can HD make a difference in gameplay? HD is a fucking resolution! I played Baldur's Gate 2 and Max Payne 2 recently in HD-like resolutions. I played the same game back in the day at lower resolutions. Did anything change? Of course not!

The point of this rant is: the Wii's problem is not that it doesn't support HD, it's that it doesn't support more complex physics and AI engines, which would greatly benefit from the Wii's more complex input. That's why games smaller in scope work better (e.g. Boom Blox)

SovanJedi said:
I don't think Disney have as much say in the matter as you think - why would a company who is as multiplatform-friendly as they come feel the need to have Kingdom Hearts 1 AND 2 stay exclusive to the PS2? For the Final Fantasy lineage? I don't think that sort of thing would be a factor to them.

If it goes to the Wii it'd be Square-Enix's choice, not Disney's. Likewise if it went to PS3.
It's not like there haven't been other platform-exclusive Disney games. The GBA/GCN Disney Sports games and PS1/PS2 Jungle Book Rhythm 'n Groove come to mind without looking things up. As well, going to only PS2 meant going to only about 75% of the console market last generation, so there wasn't a lot of loss.

MoogPaul

RJT said:
How can HD make a difference in gameplay? HD is a fucking resolution!

the only type of games that resolution make a difference gameplay wise is RTS. being able to see more of the map on the screen is a big deal.

donny2112

JoshuaJSlone said:
Why necessarily before? I & II SNES came after V. IV PS1 came after VII.

I'm expecting them to "plow the field" to get the system's userbase warmed up for DQX. Good point about PS1 DQIV coming out after DQVII, though. I had missed that. :)

Askia47

RJT said:
How can HD make a difference in gameplay? HD is a fucking resolution! I played Baldur's Gate 2 and Max Payne 2 recently in HD-like resolutions. I played the same game back in the day at lower resolutions. Did anything change? Of course not!

The point of this rant is: the Wii's problem is not that it doesn't support HD, it's that it doesn't support more complex physics and AI engines, which would greatly benefit from the Wii's more complex input. That's why games smaller in scope work better (e.g. Boom Blox)

I guess thats what i mean, the fact that the Wii doesnt really harness the power that other systems do.

Nintendo fans know there stuff, they really defend their system well. I hope that the Xbox 360 and especially the PS3, don't get lost under its rapid sales momentum. It sucks but sony just screwed up too much. Oh well, what can you do. :(

Askia47 said:
"I'm not saying that cutting edge graphics and quad-core components aren't need for some games. However for the majority (and especially a game like Dragon Quest), if I'm playing a game and find myself saying things like "this would be so much better in HD" or "this is so unimmersive" then the game itself really isn't worth my time nor is the developer."

Does this mean that HD shouldn't really make a difference in the gameplay of a game? And if it does then something is wrong with that game?

Read what you quoted.

bdouble

RJT said:

I'd take your point more seriously if developers were actually innovating on those aspects of the game. So far this gen its definitely not a focal point. I mean I'd argue that a game on the DS, Scribblenauts, is innovating more in physics category than probably everything out there besides LBP.

bdouble said:
I'd take your point more seriously if developers were actually innovating on those aspects of the game. So far this gen its definitely not a focal point. I mean I'd argue that a game on the DS, Scribblenauts, is innovating more in physics category than probably everything out there besides LBP.

Most developers don't even put those things in account to gameplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom