• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

kermit.gif: Dragon Quest Press Event in Japan [DQIX = 28/3, 5980yen, DQX = Wii]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cygnus X-1

YourMaster said:
Sure it was, just look at the Wii to see how much more money they could have made.

I didn't say that Wii is not a lot more profitable. I was stating that the gamecube wasn't a at all a console that generated losses, adding both hardware and software.

AniHawk

Cygnus X-1 said:
I didn't say that Wii is not a lot more profitable. I was stating that the gamecube wasn't a at all a console that generated losses, adding both hardware and software.

The Gamecube era was helped along with GBA sales. The GC era was the first time Nintendo ever posted a loss for a quarter though.

RJT

bdouble said:
I'd take your point more seriously if developers were actually innovating on those aspects of the game. So far this gen its definitely not a focal point. I mean I'd argue that a game on the DS, Scribblenauts, is innovating more in physics category than probably everything out there besides LBP.
Because developers are focusing on HD like it's the second coming of christ. Everywhere you go, developers or gamers, everybody wants HD stuff. I get Sony and Microsoft, they have to differentiate themselves from Wii. But when gamers say things like "I wish it was HD" when something like MH3 and DQ X comes up, you're saying to developers: "Look, I don't want you to innovate the gameplay. I don't want you to try new things. I want higher resolution versions of the same old games. OK? Thanks."

I'm a PC gamer, resolution for me is a variable. I played L4D in 480p. It's still the best game I played this year.

BTW, to the "I don't really mean resolution when I say HD" guys: you may not mean that, but that is what the marketing guys will pickup. Try to articulate your point better the next time. Amirite?

Cygnus X-1

AniHawk said:
The Gamecube era was helped along with GBA sales. The GC era was the first time Nintendo ever posted a loss for a quarter though.

I don't think this was directly linked with the gamecube. Actually, I think it was more due to the unfavorable foreign exchange of that period.

Olaeh

RJT said:
the "I don't really mean resolution when I say HD" guys:

That's always bothered me. I've had someone tell me he refuses to play a game if it isn't "HD" yet he only has a SD set. I kind of suspect a lot of "HD or it doesn't matter" people are the same. By "HD" I think he means "good grafix."

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Flying_Phoenix said:
While I do admit that it doesn't look nearly as good as Dragon Quest IX, Moon, or Winds of Nostagio it really isn't that bad.

khds-5.jpg

dsss17-cg-792594828ppapapa.jpg

dsss18-cg-792594828ppapapa.jpg

I don't want Kingdom Hearts 3 period.

I'm not talking about graphics, I'm talking about gameplay.

Have you seen gameplay videos of KH DS. The thing is next to unplayable (based on hands-on previews); the camera is behind your character all the time (awful choice) and I understand you can't control it; it follows the movements of your characters (like Sonic games... ewww).
Why they didn't do this with the FFCC style of camera, I don't know.

And yes I also don't want KH3, but the meltdowns have potential.

Kudos to the guy that wants a Terranigma revival.

ksamedi

Oh my, look at what Iwata is saying.

Iwata said:
"With the release of Dragon Quest IX, there are two things I'd like to make reality. The first is to build a thriving Japanese game market together with Dragon Quest that rivals the West's. The second is to form a strong tag team to promote Dragon Quest overseas. At Nintendo, we were able to popularize the Brain Age series overseas, which was said to be unmarketable. I want to increase the number of people worldwide that understand the appeal of Dragon Quest, which represents all Japanese gaming culture...even if that only turns out to be a single person. I'm looking forward to working together with Mr. Horii and Square Enix."

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3171782

This is great news for the series.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Nintendo has a bad track record with advertising RPGs, hell this isn't even the first time they've tried to push DQ in North America! Though I did get a free copy of DW out of the deal...

Basically only one real success story with Tales of Symphonia.

I guess you could call Fire Emblem's passive SSBM advertising a success too. Maybe.

gtj1092

RJT said:
Because developers are focusing on HD like it's the second coming of christ. Everywhere you go, developers or gamers, everybody wants HD stuff. I get Sony and Microsoft, they have to differentiate themselves from Wii. But when gamers say things like "I wish it was HD" when something like MH3 and DQ X comes up, you're saying to developers: "Look, I don't want you to innovate the gameplay. I don't want you to try new things. I want higher resolution versions of the same old games. OK? Thanks."

I'm a PC gamer, resolution for me is a variable. I played L4D in 480p. It's still the best game I played this year.

BTW, to the "I don't really mean resolution when I say HD" guys: you may not mean that, but that is what the marketing guys will pickup. Try to articulate your point better the next time. Amirite?

So I take it you didn't bother to purchase any console after the Ps1 era since graphics are bad. And can people stop pretending the DQ is about innovative gameplay and that is was put on Wii and DS for any other reason besides sales.

And to the bolded:lol :lol :lol
I think 3 emotes is enough to convey my amusement

manueldelalas said:
I'm not talking about graphics, I'm talking about gameplay.

Have you seen gameplay videos of KH DS. The thing is next to unplayable

So it's just like the console versions?

Okay I'm sorry I'm sorry I'll stop with the KH bashing but I just couldn't resist.

P.S.: I'm not going to lie I was kind of being serious there though.

ksamedi said:

That would be fantastic. There's really no reason why this series shouldn't be big in the west.I basically ignored DQ until I picked up VIII and I was kicking myself for not trying the series earlier.

The branding is also an issue though. I told my friend about DQVIII since I was having so much fun with it and after he picked it up he says "Oh, Dragon Warrior, I remember this - why didn't you tell that's what it was from the begining?" I'd never heard of Dragon Warrior but that's apparently what Enix called it when it was localized for NES (or SNES) and this guy who loved DW had no idea that DQ was the same series.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
gtj1092 said:
So I take it you didn't bother to purchase any console after the Ps1 era since graphics are bad. And can people stop pretending the DQ is about innovative gameplay and that is was put on Wii and DS for any other reason besides sales

why are you in this thread?

you do not like dq (excepting VIII; but clearly based on your complaints you have no interest in either IX or X)
you do not like the ds.
you do not like the wii.

those are the three subjects being discussed in this thread.

Neomoto

Nintendo's marketing is a lot different this generation though. And because DQ IX is on DS, they can also do the same kind of thing they normally do with Pokemon ('only' the second largest gamefranchise in gaming). It's easier to market by being on DS, so I agree with the above statement "if anyone can it's Nintendo" in this case.

I think Nintendo can succeed. Dragon Quest plays very intuitively and has always seemed like a series that has the potential do well outside Japan.

Also, I'm glad Iwata seems to have a personal interest in seeing it propagate in America and Europe. I hope that means NoA will have a significantly reduced role, or at least be kept on a tighter leash, when popularizing it. So far, NoJ is the only branch that has done a fantastic job for ardent gamers that own Wiis and DSes and thus is the only branch that should be trusted for this task.

gtj1092 said:
So I take it you didn't bother to purchase any console after the Ps1 era since graphics are bad. And can people stop pretending the DQ is about innovative gameplay and that is was put on Wii and DS for any other reason besides sales.

And to the bolded:lol :lol :lol
I think 3 emotes is enough to convey my amusement

Stop shitting up the thread. It's amazing that trolls like you still persist this many hours after the announcement.

Cygnus X-1

Man God said:
Nintendo has a bad track record with advertising RPGs, hell this isn't even the first time they've tried to push DQ in North America! Though I did get a free copy of DW out of the deal...

I guess you could call Fire Emblem's passive SSBM advertising a success too. Maybe.

Actually, I think that DQ is a too big franchise to underperform even on a casual system like the Wii.
But it's true that in recent history, RPG's haven't sold well on Nintendo's systems. The way the two Baten Kaitos were screwed made me sick actually.

I clearly remember Square-Enix's push for Dragon Quest outside of Japan here in America. I remember the commercials but the main problem was that the game seemed to...how do I put this...traditional in approach. By the commercials I thought the game was a typical medieval knights/dungeon and dragons clone with some nice cell-shading. And yeah I know it kind of is true but I didn't know that they had their own style and approach to it, I thought that the world would be about as interesting as your standard WRPG affair.

Iwata said:
"With the release of Dragon Quest IX, there are two things I'd like to make reality. The first is to build a thriving Japanese game market together with Dragon Quest that rivals the West's. The second is to form a strong tag team to promote Dragon Quest overseas. At Nintendo, we were able to popularize the Brain Age series overseas, which was said to be unmarketable. I want to increase the number of people worldwide that understand the appeal of Dragon Quest, which represents all Japanese gaming culture...even if that only turns out to be a single person. I'm looking forward to working together with Mr. Horii and Square Enix."
I'll be that person for you, Iwata!
<3 <3 <3

Man God said:

I never heard of a RPG from Nintendo that flopped, what game are you talking about?

SilverLunar said:
I never heard of a RPG from Nintendo that flopped, what game are you talking about?

He's talking about Earthbound(1995) and Dragon Warrior(1989).

Edit: I forgot about Magical Starsign which is actually a relevant example. Went to bargain bins within six months I think. Though that almost certainly had more to do with the game itself than poor promotion.

Proven

TunaLover said:
Iwata turns NA in a second Japan, then japanese developers can benefit from aditional sales, people stop caring about FPS and pick the most quircky Wii games. All according to keikaku.

Fixed.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
SilverLunar said:

Glory of Heracles JPN
Magical Starsign JPN
Archaic Sealed Heat JPN
Card Hero JPN
sort-of Soma Bringer JPN
Baten Kaitos 2 GCN JPN
Zelda Minish Cap JPN
Napoleon JPN

Magical Starsign US
Children of Man US
Baten Kaitos 2 GCN US
FF5 GBA US
FF6 GBA US
Pokemon xD US
+ the US has not received localizations of at least 50% of all RPGs Nintendo has published on GBA and DS.

Hcoregamer00 said:
<3 Iwata

If someone can make Dragon Quest a large franchise in the West, it is Nintendo.

You'd think so, but all the free copies of Dragon Warrior that came with Nintendo Power subscriptions didn't exactly cause the series to explode stateside. It did, however, help turn me into a JRPG fan for life.

I can't wait for DQX.

donny2112

dead souls said:
You'd think so, but all the free copies of Dragon Warrior that came with Nintendo Power subscriptions didn't exactly cause the series to explode stateside.

It's pretty much the only reason I was curious about DQIV-DQVI DS games. I really liked Dragon Warrior, never got any others due to the "snake" effect and having to be very choosy on which games to ask for, saw DQIV-DQVI was coming to the U.S., read the Nintendo Power article, played GBC DWIII (with severe fan callout to Dragon Warrior :D ), and am now playing Dragon Quest IV. I'm still not die-hard about it, but it makes me a lot happier that the X game is coming to the Wii. :)

leroy hacker said:
He's talking about Earthbound(1995) and Dragon Warrior(1989).
Edit: I forgot about Magical Starsign which is actually a relevant example. Went to bargain bins within six months I think. Though that almost certainly had more to do with the game itself than poor promotion.
Stumpokapow said:
Glory of Heracles JPN
Magical Starsign JPN
Archaic Sealed Heat JPN
Card Hero JPN
sort-of Soma Bringer JPN
Baten Kaitos 2 GCN JPN
Zelda Minish Cap JPN
Napoleon JPN

Magical Starsign US
Children of Man US
Baten Kaitos 2 GCN US

FF5 GBA US
FF6 GBA US
Pokemon xD US
+ the US has not received localizations of at least 50% of all RPGs Nintendo has published on GBA and DS.

I honestly never heard of half of these games. (bolded)

EarthBound is a famous one indeed, I always remembers the Mother fans and their "NINTENDO HAD SHITTY PROMOTION FOR EB THATS WHY IT FLOPPED GRRRR" qoute.

batbeg

SilverLunar said:
I honestly never heard of half of these games. (bolded)

EarthBound is a famous one indeed, I always remembers the Mother fans and their "NINTENDO HAD SHITTY PROMOTION FOR EB THATS WHY IT FLOPPED GRRRR" qoute.

Which kind of is problematic, as it speaks for Nintendo's advertising of RPGs :p

And you never heard of Baten Kaitos...? :(

batbeg said:
Which kind of is problematic, as it speaks for Nintendo's advertising of RPGs :p

And you never heard of Baten Kaitos...? :(
Despite being a Nintendo fan, I never owned a N64 and a GameCube(and didn't folow the news of niche titels released on them).

RJT

gtj1092 said:
So I take it you didn't bother to purchase any console after the Ps1 era since graphics are bad.
WTF? The only console I've ever bought was the Wii, the day after I tried Wii Sports, but I fail to see how anything I've said has anything to do with me ignoring consoles because of graphics.

What I said was: graphics are not a major factor in a game's appeal. The major games I played this year (note: I didn't finish most of them, since my gaming time is very limited):
-TF2: love the art style, the graphics are great, but I don't really like the weapons... Not worth it on its own (Orange Box is obviously worth it, though)
-Puzzle Quest: Graphics could be done on cellphone, the idea is interesting. Worth the purchase.
-Prey: Graphics are decent to good, but I couldn't get into it. Not worth the 5$.
-S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Great graphics, great atmosphere, great gameplay, great game.
-Xcom: missed it when it was first out (was too complicated for me). Addicting gameplay, great game. The graphics are horrible and with some emulation problems (framerate suffers a lot with smoke).
-Max Payne 2: This is how cinematic gaming is done. Great gameplay, nice graphics. Loved it.
-L4D: played the hell out of the demo, mostly on my laptop at 480p. Incredible game (will definitely buy it, probably for christmas)
-Civ4: probably my favorite gaming series ever. Love it. Graphics are weak.
-GTA Vice City: great time waster with fun gameplay. I don't think is one of the best games ever, but I see the appeal. Lousy graphics (played at lowest resolution possible, which I guess is similar to the PS2, but with great framerate).
-Wii Sports. I still play it regularly. Game of the generation for me. Horrible graphics.

I'm forgetting a few, but anyway: do you see a correlation between graphics and quality? I don't.

As much as some people may hate Nintendo right now, you gotta hand it to Iwata: Probably has to be one of the riskiest but best businessmen and leaders in this entire industry.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
SovanJedi said:
I don't think Disney have as much say in the matter as you think - why would a company who is as multiplatform-friendly as they come feel the need to have Kingdom Hearts 1 AND 2 stay exclusive to the PS2? For the Final Fantasy lineage? I don't think that sort of thing would be a factor to them.

If it goes to the Wii it'd be Square-Enix's choice, not Disney's. Likewise if it went to PS3.

As someone else said, the only IP’s in the Kingdom Hearts series that S-E own are the ones directly related to their own.

Disney are not a pushover company. They’re incredibly well established and won’t willingly hand out IP’s to developers for them to do whatever they want, especially a top-tier franchise like KH that uses a large number of Disney IPs, Sora and co included.

While I'm sure S-E have a say, I honestly believe Disney would have the final word as to which system the game appears on. It's more their IP than S-E's, its an established franchise, and the loss of giving it to another developer is far less than S-E ditching Disney.

I could be wrong, but that's how I see it.

Terrell

Black-Wind said:
That seems do-able.

I just remembered that S-E had made their Crystal Engine Tools (?) made to support the Wii. Still want to see what they plan to use that on.
The announcement of Crystal Tools being available for use on Wii actually MAKES SENSE now that they have more than one big title coming to the platform.

SovanJedi said:
I don't think Disney have as much say in the matter as you think - why would a company who is as multiplatform-friendly as they come feel the need to have Kingdom Hearts 1 AND 2 stay exclusive to the PS2? For the Final Fantasy lineage? I don't think that sort of thing would be a factor to them.

If it goes to the Wii it'd be Square-Enix's choice, not Disney's. Likewise if it went to PS3.
Because it was the dominant platform in EVERY region of the world and was guaranteed sales success. Even if you were to combine PS3 and 360 sales worldwide, you'd still come up pretty short on Wii's sales numbers. Wii has the right demographics, the right sales numbers and the right level of approachable hardware (does anyone really want a KH game taking 3+ years to make like FFXIII is?!). I'd be surprised if Square Enix didn't come to the same conclusion, actually.

ksamedi said:

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3171782

This is great news for the series.
Oh, and he's comparing it to Brain Age marketing no less... anyone get the impression that Iwata sees how DQ sells to certain demographics in Japan and thinks this is a great "transition" game between casual and hardcore games for its current userbase in the west?

JaMarco

Terrell said:
The announcement of Crystal Tools being available for use on Wii actually MAKES SENSE now that they have more than one big title coming to the platform.
you really think DQX will be made with crystal tools?

alanias

Case said:
you really think DQX will be made with crystal tools?

It'll either be based on that or a modified DQVIII engine. It's entirely possible that they use it though, they aren't porting the engine to Wii for nothing.

alanias said:
It'll either be based on that or a modified DQVIII engine. It's entirely possible that they use it though, they aren't porting the engine to Wii for nothing.

They were apparently trying to get the new MMO on it. A modified version, of course.

zoku88

I really doubt they'd use Crystal for DQ... ever.

And unless Level 5 is doing this, I doubt they'd use the DQVIII engine. More like, I really hope they wouldn't...

Proven

Terrell said:
Oh, and he's comparing it to Brain Age marketing no less... anyone get the impression that Iwata sees how DQ sells to certain demographics in Japan and thinks this is a great "transition" game between casual and hardcore games for its current userbase in the west?

Like Pokemon, in my opinion, but it'll be seen as less "kiddy", especially with it's history.

batbeg

alanias said:

I reeeeally doubt it. Square developers are not the same studios that Enix hire.

H_Prestige said:
They were apparently trying to get the new MMO on it. A modified version, of course.

Would be interesting... if true. But is this just hearsay, rumor, or actual fact? I doubt they'd want to restrict the HD/PC SKUs in anyway for a Wii/PS2 version, which they'd have to do even if they were on the same engine.

Linkup

batbeg said:
I reeeeally doubt it. Square developers are not the same studios that Enix hire.

Which leads me to the conclusion that Square's FFCC:Crystal Bearers will be using Crystal Tools so they can do a easy port up/down later to PS3/PSP. Why not? mainline FF has already gone multi-platform, no reason to exclude their other games especially when they actually have a budget. FFCC EoT is getting a wii version so why not test the waters with the playstation fans, maybe not with the games I mentioned though. So some of the graphic whores will whine then play it anyway so why not charge ahead, it'll likely be worth it in the end. Yeah I know I'm crazy, but crazy is what works this gen.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Linkup said:
Which leads me to the conclusion that Square's FFCC:Crystal Bearers will be using Crystal Tools so they can do a easy port up/down later to PS3/PSP. Why not? mainline FF has already gone multi-platform, no reason to exclude their other games especially when they actually have a budget.

You mean I can expect FFXIII on the Wii?! O=

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom