• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

kermit.gif: Dragon Quest Press Event in Japan [DQIX = 28/3, 5980yen, DQX = Wii]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kuroyume said:
They announced Dragon Quest X months before IX is even out?

Man, you'd almost think this company announced Final Fantasy X and XI before IX was out (or at the same time as announcing it, even), and discussed XIII before XII was out.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
2cz6p87.jpg

I BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWLED

lo zaffo

Since Square-Enix announced Dragon Quest x for Wii, I started hyping and needing more information. Plus, it is about time Square-Enix starts planning world wide releases like Nintendo is able to do, just look at Wii music, Animal Crossing: let's go to the city Wii, etc.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Don't know if this has been posted, but it is a somewhat official confirmation of DQIX and X being localized:

Iwata: "With the release of Dragon Quest IX, there are two things I'd like to make reality. The first is to build a thriving Japanese game market together with Dragon Quest that rivals the West's. The second is to form a strong tag team to promote Dragon Quest overseas. At Nintendo, we were able to popularize the Brain Age series overseas, which was said to be unmarketable. I want to increase the number of people worldwide that understand the appeal of Dragon Quest, which represents all Japanese gaming culture...even if that only turns out to be a single person. I'm looking forward to working together with Mr. Horii and Square Enix."

source

I smell a good marketing campaign...

Chittagong

Gold Member
manueldelalas said:
Don't know if this has been posted, but it is a somewhat official confirmation of DQIX and X being localized:

Iwata: "With the release of Dragon Quest IX, there are two things I'd like to make reality. The first is to build a thriving Japanese game market together with Dragon Quest that rivals the West's. The second is to form a strong tag team to promote Dragon Quest overseas. At Nintendo, we were able to popularize the Brain Age series overseas, which was said to be unmarketable. I want to increase the number of people worldwide that understand the appeal of Dragon Quest, which represents all Japanese gaming culture...even if that only turns out to be a single person. I'm looking forward to working together with Mr. Horii and Square Enix."

source

Holy crap, the time/space universe is truly shaped like a donut

box.jpg

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Man, you'd almost think this company announced Final Fantasy X and XI before IX was out (or at the same time as announcing it, even), and discussed XIII before XII was out.
They announced IX, X, and XI at the same time, yes.

grandjedi6 said:
They're moving to the Wii? Really? There are a handful of examples but for the most part developers are either consolidating on the DS or devoted to the HD systems. Annoyingly, the Wii has been getting the second fiddle.

You get the big name games (SO, FF, a Tales game) coming to HD consoles, which looks like a good choice (because of budgets), but not much of the smaller stuff...which either dies out (if they couldn't sell enough on HD consoles based on current JRPG sales), or move to cheaper development environments. HD games at this moment in time need a lot higher sales than their previous gen counterparts, so imo it'll be the games that can provide those numbers individually that go to HD consoles. So overall, you see high individual sales for HD games, but high overall sales for Wii/DS games (which kind of explains the NPD inconsistency). DQX might actually be an exception in this...I'm not sure FF or KH games will come to the Wii, but everything's possible I guess (EatChildren's Disney-KH argument sounds pretty logical).

You say this as if tons of 3rd party games haven't been bombing in Japan on the Wii. The Tales of Symphonia spinoff is the only RPG to do quite well on the system.

I don't think all Wii RPGs taken together have cost as much as BD :-D And while it didn't exactly bomb, it didn't do very well either...oh, and it *was* supposed to set the charts on fire, unlike Alien Syndrome. As for Wii RPGs, no, as few as there are, they haven't really bombed.

Also you say every JRPG has bombed the HD systems but thats just not true. While they're hasn't been anything spectacular alot of them have done adequetly.

Compared to the investment and expectations? I'm not really sure about that.

In a direct comparison between the Wii and 360, the 360 has proven itself to have an existing RPG market while the Wii has yet to do so. Now obviously its a benefit to alot of series, especially Tales of, to start releasing RPGs for the Wii to capitalize on its popularity. I just don't think Megaten is one of those series that would necessarily benefit from moving to the Wii

What has been proven is just the opposite - that you can't create a JRPG market just from moneyhats, which MS has tried to do. It hasn't worked so far at all. Second tier stuff would be incredibly risky on 360, especially because of Japan, where I guess a lot of the sales come from.

As for "crazy assumption"...well, it's far from obvious for everyone, and there are loads of counter arguments, so yeah, for an assumption, it's crazy. Would be less crazy as a theorem, especially if you supported it with arguments that couldn't be destroyed in three seconds, but making assumption like this makes your original argument (which everyone has forgotten anyway by now) simply worthless, because the assumption you build on is so debatable.

That's all of them I think. DQS, Fire Emblem, and Symphonia did well in Japan. We're not really sure how any of them did in the west but they certainly didn't light the charts on fire.

You somehow appear to imply that games like Alien Syndrome, MuA and Opoona should have done (relatively) better than Tales of Vesperia, Infinite Undiscovery or Last Remnant. Classy.

As for 360/PS3 Atlus stuff: do you think they could make a game on the PS3/360 that's significantly better looking than the PS2 version and sells enough to make a profit (ie. significantly higher than the PS2 versions)? And it's not even one game: they release a few games every year, do you think PS3/360 has that kind of JRPG market?

gkryhewy

manueldelalas said:

source

Damn, Iwata is good :lol

Manaka

manueldelalas said:

source

Oh sh..! Level up your characters in minutes a day = $$$

donny2112

Zihark said:
hmmm I was certain that DQ6 would have been shown here. Is it possible that 6 and 7 will have remakes on the WII?

They've already announced DQVI to be a DS game (even in the U.S.) and are probably very far, if not finished, in development. If that wasn't the case, yes. Now the best you can hope for to see DQVI on Wii is a FF:CC:EoT type setup. I think it's very likely that DQVII will be remade for the Wii, though.

tenritsu

Banned
So, where is new info on DQX? I am waiting patiently for anything from a logo to a trailer. Now that DQIX has been out for a while in Japan, I feel like we should know SOMETHING by now.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
tenritsu said:
So, where is new info on DQX? I am waiting patiently for anything from a logo to a trailer. Now that DQIX has been out for a while in Japan, I feel like we should know SOMETHING by now.

Wait until after DQVI remake.

ethelred

Jonnyram said:
It takes a special kind of person to bump an 18 page thread from one year ago.

That special kind of person is made even moreso by demanding to know why we don't yet have a trailer to the sequel of a game that came out four months ago after a four year long development cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom