• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ketogenic Diet and its effect on mental health

bigsnack

Dont. Eat. Refined. Sugar. It’s that easy.

Also, isn’t it true that fat calories are not processed in the body the same as carb calories? Doesnt that alone blur the “a calorie is a calorie” narrative?

Are we on Earth-3 or something? Since when is Japanese cuisine “fat-based”? In the universe I’m from, the Japanese diet leans heavily on rice and noodles paired with vegetables and seafood. But hey.

You made a juxtaposition of Japan (high carb low fat) vs keto. It's the start of the same arguments I've seen for years - "no one gets fat on rice/fruit/etc.", which I why I said the same thing about steak (or hell, to go full nuts on keto, butter - try overeating butter-based fat bombs). Overall I agree with you - the high carb low fat diet is a viable dietary mode.

DavidGzz

Dont. Eat. Refined. Sugar. It’s that easy.

Also, isn’t it true that fat calories are not processed in the body the same as carb calories? Doesnt that alone blur the “a calorie is a calorie” narrative?

Yeah, fat is converted to body fat the easiest and has the lowest thermic effect. Otherwise, there isn't much of a difference in a mixed diet. CICO. Protein is what makes the biggest difference. 20-30% of protein calories are used in their digestion giving it the lowest net calories by far.

Boy bawang

I tried keto for 3 months. I didn't get any beneficial effect, but nothing detrimental either though I felt a bit more tired. But I've always been eating very clean, so maybe that I didn't have much to gain from such diet.

It’s weird to watch you pretend like rice doesn’t exist and isn’t eaten in generous quantities in Asian countries to make your argument work.

I dont think rice is eaten in generous quantities in Asia aside from India and Sri lanka. And generally we are kinda fat especially as we get older. I am Sri Lankan. I mean portion wise Indian and Sri Lankans eat like 2-3x as everywhere else in Asia.

I tried keto for 3 months. I didn't get any beneficial effect, but nothing detrimental either though I felt a bit more tired. But I've always been eating very clean, so maybe that I didn't have much to gain from such diet.

You mean mental health wise or weight? If the former, what do you suffer from if i may ask. If the latter, what kind of meat did you use, you cant use regular meats as they have hormones that screw the keto diet. You need grassfed meat at minimum. Organic if you want to go the extra mile as they will be hormone free but that is a bi bad for animals as farmers cant treat animal fi they are sick etc.

betrayal

Banned

Because you were already eating healthy before there were no other benefits.

For this reason, people who suddenly go ketogenic always think that the ketogenic diet is so much better. But they forget that they suddenly eat much less junk than usual, which is the main reason for the positive effects.

DavidGzz

For this reason, people who suddenly go ketogenic always think that the ketogenic diet is so much better. But they forget that they suddenly eat much less junk than usual, which is the main reason for the positive effects.

Yep, correlation. I like when they say they reversed their diabetes because of low carb yet people do that all of the time by simply losing unhealthy body fat on any diet. I did an experiment for 10 months where I ate nothing but junk food and got into great shape. I went from huffing and puffing running a couple of blocks to running 10+ miles with ease. I also ended up being able to bench twice my body weight and looking quite muscular with only 90 grams of protein a day average mostly coming from pizza. Here is my thread where I logged CICO for those 10 months. https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=141807961

Then you have Mark Haub who lost 27 pounds in a couple months on a vending machine diet and improved all of his measurable health parameters. http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Many anecdotal claims are simply placebo as well. My mental clarity, bro!

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

This is true. People on keto typically change their entire diet, and either prepare all of their meals themselves or go on a strict meal prep plan. Going from fast food and doritos to that is a drastic improvement. So is eating healthy without keto.

I did keto for a while on my transformation, and I lost weight quickly, but my brain performance decreased and my energy levels weren't great. The ketone smell was also a big turnoff. I got off keto but kept preparing all of my meals and doing a ton of exercise...and continued to lose weight quickly. Some people love how they feel on ketosis, and some people report lower appetite and improved willpower, and that's great.

Statistically, low carb is not healthier. Mediterranean diet, Okinawan diet, etc., those are the gold standards for health outcomes and they're not low carb.

Boy bawang

That's also my impression. As long as you consistently eat clean, get enough sleep, do sports regularly, you get most if not all the benefits largely reported with those special diets.

NB Weight watchers calorie restriction isnt the same as all calorie restriction. WW still uses margarine and other processed foods.

Interesting article, but I was a little flummoxed by the idea of a "Mediterranean-style ketogenic diet" when I started reading. I had to find how they defined it:

The program emphasizes a Mediterranean-style ketogenic diet, encouraging
intake of low-carbohydrate foods that are high in monounsaturated and omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty
acids without concomitant increases in the intake of foods rich in saturated fatty acids. This was
designed in response to concerns that traditional ketogenic diets high in saturated fats might have
adverse effects on cardiovascular risk markers (6).

*sigh*

I just had my physical done with my new doctor, and my cholesterol and HDL were great. LDL-C was a little high, but that is because LDLs are larger and "fluffy" on keto, and don't stick on/permeate into vessel walls like small and dense LDLs do to cause atherosclerosis. Combine that with decreased inflammation and it's perfectly fine to have higher LDL-C as long as it is the right kind. Pity the particle size test is so expensive and not covered by insurance lol - fucking gel electrophoresis techs make bank. I could probably do it at home with some setup - GE is piss easy.

I was impressed with my new internist - she actually was well-read on keto, not a dogmatic lipid-hypothesis believer.

99Luffy

Banned
Theres tons of alternative diets that work but everything else seems to involve starving. If a diet requires portion control and calorie counting it isnt worth it imo.
Before keto I was hungry at 11am and Id constantly be thinking about lunch, and then hungry at 3pm waiting to get home to eat. And this was after huge meals and snacks in between. With keto I feel satiated throughout the entire day.
Aside from the food restrictions keto doesnt feel like Im dieting. Im eating as much as I can and its magic how I still lost weight. ~250 calorie keto coffee with tablespoons of ghee/coconut oil. Butter on everything, high fat cheese in everything especially omelets, high fat ice cream(monk fruit sweetener instead of sugar) and as much bacon and steak I could eat. And pork rinds, eating an entire bag to myself did nothing to my weight.
And it all still worked better than when I was on a low calorie diet eating shitty food like oatmeal in the morning.

I have a friend whos about a couple months ahead of me in his keto diet and hes moved on to having carb cheat days once or twice a week. I think I'll be trying that and see how it goes.

Last edited:
Theres tons of alternative diets that work but everything else seems to involve starving. If a diet requires portion control and calorie counting it isnt worth it imo.
Before keto I was hungry at 11am and Id constantly be thinking about lunch, and then hungry at 3pm waiting to get home to eat. And this was after huge meals and snacks in between. With keto I feel satiated throughout the entire day.
Aside from the food restrictions keto doesnt feel like Im dieting. Im eating as much as I can and its magic how I still lost weight. ~250 calorie keto coffee with tablespoons of ghee/coconut oil. Butter on everything, high fat cheese in everything, high fat ice cream(monk fruit sweetener instead of sugar) and as much bacon and steak I could eat. And pork rinds, eating an entire bag to myself did nothing to my weight.
And it all still worked better than when I was on a low calorie diet eating shitty food like oatmeal in the morning.

I have a friend whos about a couple months ahead of me in his keto diet and hes moved on to having carb cheat days once or twice a week. I think I'll be trying that and see how it goes.

I'd add in berries (and cream to reduce their glycemic index) for additional nutrients, along with cruciferous and other non-starchy vegetables (broccoli with cheese or even hollandaise sauce is delicious, avocados if you are a millenial who likes those, asparagus, leafy greens, turnips, eggplant, mushrooms of all sorts). Fiber is a big benefit on keto. Even when I go on all meat stints after holiday cheating I never get constipated but fiber will help with that; however, the big benefit is the short-chain fatty acids generated by gut fermentation of different fibers.

Last edited:

99Luffy

Banned
I'd add in berries (and cream to reduce their glycemic index) for additional nutrients, along with cruciferous and other non-starchy vegetables (broccoli with cheese or even hollandaise sauce is delicious, avocados if you are a millenial who likes those, asparagus, leafy greens, turnips, eggplant, mushrooms of all sorts). Fiber is a big benefit on keto. Even when I go on all meat stints after holiday cheating I never get constipated but fiber will help with that; however, the big benefit is the short-chain fatty acids generated by gut fermentation of different fibers.
Yes definitely I was just mentioning the foods that people normally associate with being unhealthy. Cheese and butter covered broccoli was my usual side.
One thing I also made was a bowl with a handful of frozen raspberries, some milk(I used almond), half a scoop of vanilla protein powder sweetened with stevia(if you skip the protein powder then just add a teaspoon of sugar free sweetener), and a tablespoon of ground flaxseed. Mix it up and I dont know what it was, it was like half cereal half dessert, but I liked it.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
My metal health improved greatly (less stress) when I stopped caring and started eating food I enjoy, but just eat less in general throughout the day.

I still eat sushi, burgers, ramen, Indian curry, fried chicken, etc.

But just don't overload my body with it, if I'm gonna eat trash I know that I can skip a meal. Not sure if it's the scientifically approved method, but has been working well for me.

Moderation is key and all that.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I don’t like the word “diet” where I come from it insinuates you were big and fat and have to drop the burgers. Historically humans have ate meat.

I recently made a change for reasons that won't apply to most. I had been eating KETO for a good while, and felt fine on it, but I've been looking outside the box for a solution to an "incurable" genetic medical condition I have - PKD (polycystic kidney disease).

Long story short, the appearance of cysts (in the liver and kidneys) and the associated reduction in function seem to be glucose dependent, and there are numerous animal studies (different research species) showing that maintaining ketosis can have an effect of not only mitigating cyst growth/loss of function, but also reverse the cystic organs back to their normal form and function over time.

So in an effort to "ramp up" the effects, I've switched to OMAD (one meal a day) keto. It's also been surprisingly easy so far, with one exception. I struggle to cram it all in within the 2 hour window I give myself for my meal. I do it, but man is it a challenge to get the needed combination of both calories and nutrients in that brief span. I feel great, and I'm not hungry...at all, but I guess my body just needs time to adapt - not to the daily fasting, but to the daily feasting, lol.

Top Bottom