• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kev Goes to DigitalLife: Images and Movie (56k maybe?)

sangreal

I just got back too. Spent about 8 hours there with my friends. Was really dissapointed in the PS3 showing. Only 2 games playable at Sony's booth: NBA'07 and Resistance. Resistance did look really good, but I didn't get to play it. The only other PS3 demo I found was Sonic at the Sega booth. Ran like shit. Sign said it was 70% complete. I asked the rep and he said the 360 and PS3 versions would be identical when complete. I really liked the Sixaxis though, especially the new triggers.

I didn't get a chance to play Wii because the Madden demos were constantly in use and I didn't notice the Elebits demo at Konami's booth. Madden looked pretty fun though.

HD DVD was certainly dominated over Blu-ray at the show, but not necessarily because of picture quality. I think I only saw Blu-ray at Sony's booth on Two TVs or something while HD DVD was everywhere. Probably just because most of HD DVD's backers had a presence there while most of Blu-ray's did not. The Look and Sound of Perfect promotional truck had a line all day, I waited 30 minutes to get in for the 5 minute demo but it was awesome seeing HD DVD in that home theater they had setup by Joe Kane. I also got a free HD DVD and some other swag from Toshiba for being an avsforum member :)

360 also had a huuge presence at the show. Pretty much every major booth had 360s. Even Toshiba's booth had a 360 for no discernable reason (they had 360 demos outputting to Toshiba's laptops at the toshiba booth). That said, Microsoft's booth kind of sucked. The 360 games and the games for windows games were all kind of smashed together in a seemingly random grid. Viva Pinata kiosks were consistently down, but I did see some kids enjoying it. I tried it for like 30 seconds but was lost without a tutorial. It looked worse than I expected based on screenshots, but I was also standing very close. There was a noticable lack of Xbox reps in this section. They also had a vista section which was better, and an Xbox bus which was like 200 degrees inside and of course the Viva Pinata kiosk was out of comission and no xbox rep inside. Lastly, they had an Xbox Live Arcade booth which was pretty cool and had a lot of unreleased games playable.

The Logitech booth had G25s set up playing Gran Turismo 4 on PS2 which was nice

The biggest surprise of the show for me was that Superman Returns 360 didn't look that bad

I know I sound like I hated everything but I actually had a really good time at the show (like I said, I spent 8 hours there), its just easier to think of the bad things.

zou

So, I got a couple of free tickets, and I'm still debating over wether to go tomorrow, or not. My main issue would be with the wait time/number of people attending. I've been to the games convention this year and was hugely dissapointed, as ANY stand would require you to wait 1+ hour (except Barby's Hord Ride Adventures ..).

Well last year was really bad for new stuff. The day I went, there was really no 360 presence at all except for a Kameo demo by a MS rep. The console games on display weren't anything special either. Nintendo was probably the best with their DS games (MK:DS, AC:WW, and soem others). Hopefully next year with all the next gen consoles out and no real E3 there'll be more of a presence for upcoming games.

sangreal

zou said:
So, I got a couple of free tickets, and I'm still debating over wether to go tomorrow, or not. My main issue would be with the wait time/number of people attending. I've been to the games convention this year and was hugely dissapointed, as ANY stand would require you to wait 1+ hour (except Barby's Hord Ride Adventures ..).

There was usually no lines other than the person on the kiosk, except for the PS3, Guitar Hero and a few other exceptions. That said, the lines are NOT regulated by reps in pretty much all of the booths, so sometimes people hog the kiosk for way too long.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
brandonh83 said:
Tell us more about Portrait of Ruin if you can. When I think of that game I get choked up.

Just imagine a game like DoS, except it looks and sounds more awesomer.

...and you can actually see it now because it's on your DS Lite.

Blu-Ray group really has to get its act in gear. I guess their May launch was completely paperish.

Alex P

My impressions:

The following upcoming games are playable on the floor. (A few titles like PGR3 and Company of Heroes make appearances, but I'm omitting them. I'm also omitting a slew of mobile and XBLA and all around pointless games no one really cares about.)

-About 5 or 6 two-player Guitar Hero 2 setups. PS2 only.
-Dark Messiah (nVidia and Toshiba booths)
-Infernal (AGEIA booth)
-Rainbow Six Vegas
-Splinter Cell: Double Agent (SP and Versus; we played some versus with the Fragdolls. kinda funny, they were trying to walk me through the mechanics, I rolled my eyes, snuck up on a merc and snapped his neck, dropped down on another, and evaded a third, ended up hacking a console, and getting away in minutes)
-Eragon
-F.E.A.R. 360
-A ridiculous number of FFXII setups
-Viva Pinata
-Flight Simulator X (Intel)
-Battlefield 2142 (at pretty much every ****ing booth)
-RoboBlitz (Intel booth: check this game out it rocks)
-NBA2K7 (PS3; Sony booth)
-Resistance Fall of Man (PS3; Sony booth)
-Superman Returns (360)
-Tiger Woods '07 (?) (The new one out next week on the 360)
-Need for Speed Carbon (360)
-Madden 07 (The only playable Wii game on the floor)
-Sam and Max (Gametap booth)

We got to play with the Phantom Lapboard a bit. That whole thing was a bit surreal actually. I'm not giving away any details just yet...

I met Bill Roeper which was cool. He showed me Hellgate: London and it was nice and stuff.

I saw Patrick from The Screen Savers (RIP) which was kinda cool. I saw a letter marked for Chris Morris (CNN Money/GameOver) but I never saw the man himself.

PS- Someone needs to open a decent ****ing restaurant on 11th Ave. I don't want to walk all the way to 9th to get lunch.

PICS!

http://aloader.com/files/28/IMG_0123.jpg
http://aloader.com/files/28/IMG_0121.jpg
http://aloader.com/files/28/IMG_0118.jpg
http://aloader.com/files/28/IMG_0107.jpg
http://aloader.com/files/28/IMG_0099.jpg
http://aloader.com/files/28/IMG_0094.jpg

zou

sangreal said:
There was usually no lines other than the person on the kiosk, except for the PS3, Guitar Hero and a few other exceptions. That said, the lines are NOT regulated by reps in pretty much all of the booths, so sometimes people hog the kiosk for way too long.

Ok, sounds good enough, thanks! :)

Kittonwy

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Activision booth: I spat in the general direction of the Activision booth and I kept on walking.

GOOD JOB!!! *clap*
gladtomeetya.gif

GilloD

Banned
brandonh83 said:
Tell us more about Portrait of Ruin if you can. When I think of that game I get choked up.

The game play is pretty similar to DoS. The partner aspect is VERY well integrated to the point where your partner is as tactically significant as the "Souls" of past games. The demo just ran until you died as far as I could see. Uh. The animation didn't seem quite as good as DoS, but I was playing mostly off the LCD and not the DS, so that could have had something to do with it. Some of the controls were a little akward with the mounted DS set-up, but they should clean up when it's just in your hands. One of the trigger buttons (R?) was used for partner attack. It felt a little clumsy, especially if you were trying to backslide with L, but again, that could have been the mounted set-up.

The "Portrait" aspect seem to come from paintaings you enter, ala Mario64. Also, there was a pretty cool throwback to Castlevania X in the form of the Behenmoth that chases you through a room. Enemy models were nice, saw some new enemies. The "Portrait" you entered in the demo was pretty interesting, it was a kind of European, old-world town. Nice change from the usual castles and caves of Castlevania.

GilloD

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
Just imagine a game like DoS, except it looks and sounds more awesomer.

...and you can actually see it now because it's on your DS Lite.

Blu-Ray group really has to get its act in gear. I guess their May launch was completely paperish.

QFT. The HD-DVD crew had a huge tent with a big line all day. BluRay had a few discs just in the middle of the floor, running old flicks no one cared about. Sony had a small BluRay demo running on the Bravia sets (Which looked INCREDIBLE.)

sangreal

Swag was in relatively short supply but I did get some stuff

swag.jpg

The poster is for a justice league game

I also got a gametap bag which I forgot to picture along with some other crap I left in it. Gametap also had T-Shirts and Hats, but not in my size. They made you take a test to get it, but fortunately cheating was rampant.

Went today, some impressions:

PS3:

Played Resistance for about a minute since I couldn't get a hang on the controls and died really quickly. I haven't played a console FPS in years and completely forgot how awkward it is compared to KB+M. Anyways, the SIXAXIS was quite nice. It's pretty much just a DS2. Didn't feel too light-weight or cheap either. The triggers felt fine as well. Resistance looked alright, reminded me a lot of the CoD games. Character models look very nice, with the backgrounds looking just decent. I didn't really notice any framerate problems watching people play. Enemy death animations looked good, not too rag-dollish and not too canned. My one complaint with the graphics is how washed out the colors looked. Though it could've been the TV they had it hooked up to wasn't properly calibrated.

The NBA game they had next to it looked much more vibrant in comparison. The graphics weren't as good as Live/2k but you could definitely tell it was running at 1080p. It looked sharp as a tack with some minimal aliasing.

The console itself looks very sleek. I know that the PS3 is big compared to other consoles but it really doesn't look like it. If there's one thing I'd like them to do it's chop off that front part that sticks out and make the front flat like the PS2. It'd make the PS3 look much skinnier.

Wii:

Only Elebits was playable. I stopped by the EA booth but their Wii station was just 4 of the controllers tied up in a bundled mess. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. The Wii controller works quite well. I didn't have to move my arms that much at all. The poor kid who was in front of me was moving them all over the place and couldn't get anything done. It wasn't quite like using a pointer, but it could've been the fact that the sensor bar was a good foot and half below the TV. The game itself was pretty nice. Basically you just go around the environment moving stuff around, trying to find the little guys hiding. I wasn't too impressed with how the console itself looked. It's small size is over rated and it looked very plain sitting horizontally. I saw one sitting vertically in the stand at the ATI booth and it looked a bit better. They should really round off the corners and use the clear plastic like the DS Lite/Ipod.

DS:

The only thing there worth mentioning was Portrait of Ruin. From what little I played, I liked it very much. The 2 player dynamic is kind of like Julius mode in DoS. Switching between and calling the second character was kind of confusing. The graphics looked really nice on the DS Lite. It definitely felt and played a lot like DoS, so if you liked that I can't imagine not liking this.

PS2:

Played FFX, PSU, and GH2 and they were all very nice. GH2 was very popular and the 2 player aspect is awesome.

X360:

Didn't really play it, although it did have a big presence. I tried out the new Splinter Cell, which looked really good. I couldn't figure out the controls though and just left it after a couple minutes.

It sucked that Nintendo wasn't there this year. They had some nice stuff last year and with the DS dominating and the Wii coming out so soon they could've turned some heads. I'd say this year was far better for gaming overall and hope next year is even better.

It seems NBA 07 is incorporating TNT basketball with it, pretty cool. More and more pictures that come out are raising my anticipation for the system.

After years of trolling the ps2 and ps3 my brother is now saying he wants a ps3, along with his 360. Pretty funny considering he was mentioning how ps3 games look like psp games, Blu-ray was worthless, and 360 was better than all.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
sangreal said:
Even Toshiba's booth had a 360 for no discernable reason (they had 360 demos outputting to Toshiba's laptops at the toshiba booth).

Toshiba = HD-DVD. MS builds in support for HD-DVD in Vista and creates an external HD-DVD drive for their videogame console. That's why they had 360s there. MS and Toshiba are like this.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Just something interesting before I sign off for bed:

FFXII was probably the best game I played yesterday. Resistance was close behind...yet I can't stop thinking about the Wii.

I don't know what it is, but I keep trying to reimagine the feeling of the Wiimote in my hands-- trying to remember its texture, form, and design. It is probably only because it is such a new experience, but I really want more of it. Resistance blew away Elebits, but there is something about new experiences that "do it" for me.

It reminds me of the first time I went down a huge waterslide or rode my bike for the first time. It's something you immediately want to do again as soon as you are done doing it.

So yeah...I want to play Wii again.

bigfatgameguy said:
It seems NBA 07 is incorporating TNT basketball with it, pretty cool. More and more pictures that come out are raising my anticipation for the system.

After years of trolling the ps2 and ps3 my brother is now saying he wants a ps3, along with his 360. Pretty funny considering he was mentioning how ps3 games look like psp games, Blu-ray was worthless, and 360 was better than all.

NBA 07 looked really unimpressive from the animation to the hardwood. The models were smooth but hovering between 2K7 and Live in terms of detail. And the ball did this really weird and obtrusive thing when you took a shot. I was watching it while waiting to play Resistance, though, so I don't know how it plays.

Y2Kevbug11 said:
This game is THE REAL deal. It was amazing seeing how smooth and fluidly it played when it was up against some of the other titles on the floor. The camera work is done just right so that it is a very cinematic experience. HL2 and FEAR looked incredibly jumpy in comparison. The enemy AI was impressive too. Enemies kept dodging in and out of this house-like structure. I didn't quite understand how to use the weapon selection system...I needed more time with it. The PS3 controller triggers feel awesome...they are kind of like gas pedals. The controller feels cheap, though. It's too light. It was wired as well, so I couldn't pretend gesture with it.

Had you figured out a way to use them to shoot? When I played, Fire was mapped to the Right Bumper, not the trigger.

sangreal

Agent Dormer said:
Toshiba = HD-DVD. MS builds in support for HD-DVD in Vista and creates an external HD-DVD drive for their videogame console. That's why they had 360s there. MS and Toshiba are like this.

For the record, Vista does not have built-in HD-DVD support.

What was weird to me, was that the 360s at Toshiba's booth were not being used to show off the HD-DVD addon (the addon was present elsewhere though)

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Holy Shit "The Darkness" looks freaking OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!!

270439847_dbeb376c73.jpg

The shadows in this pic look great.

mckmas8808 said:
Holy Shit "The Darkness" looks freaking OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!!

270439847_dbeb376c73.jpg

The shadows in this pic look great.
Wait until you see it in person. Just wait.

The images, do not do the game justice. No. It doesn't.

Wario64 said:
Well I would guess that the game is running in motion while the pic was taken and not at a standstill
No. There's motion blur, you need to press the boost button on the R triggers.

But you need to build it up before doing it. Just like any standard racer.

Once you do it, the boost is gone, you're going to be running fast for a few seconds, the fire runs out quicker than running faster than normal.

sangreal

CarlosX360 said:
:lol :lol :lol

Have you seen a post by me? :lol

:lol
:lol :lol :lol

Yes, you said you played RR7 at GameSpot's Afterhours 3000 miles away :lol

Because this thread is meant for discussing videogames, and those pictures are videogames, therefore they can be dicussed in this thread.

jeeze louize

Every thread is about 'discussing videogames'

Top Bottom