• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Kevin Clinesmith, FBI lawyer who falsified CIA documents gets community service.

Xenon

Damn it feels good to be an insider!

Boasberg, who is also the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court's presiding judge, notably said he believes the warrant still may have been signed for surveillance of Page, who in 2017 was a former Trump foreign policy adviser who was under investigation because of his ties to Russians. "Even if Mr. Clinesmith had been accurate about Dr. Page's relationship with the other government agency, the warrant may well have been signed and the surveillance authorized," Boasberg said, though he also noted other mistakes in the Page foreign intelligence surveillance applications.
Yet the main reason for the warrant was specifically him interacting with Russian officials which he was currently working with the CIA to get inteligence.
Clinesmith obtained no real personal benefit from his actions and had no active intent to harm, the judge also noted.
"My view of the evidence is that Mr. Clinesmith likely believed that what he said about Dr. Page was true," Boasberg said.
"He was saving himself some work taking an inappropriate shortcut," but didn't intend to give wrong information about Page, the judge added.
He purposefully altered a document from the CIA to say the exact opposite of what it originally sated!

Boasberg also noted how the Justice Department inspector general found Clinesmith wasn't acting with political bias -- a point the Trump administration tried to make repeatedly to undermine the Mueller investigation that grew out of the FBI's work on Russia in 2016 and 2017.

Sure no bias at all, “Viva le resistance.”

On and it looks like the Bar association isn't even going to have a case on this. I'm pretty sure Kevin Clinesmith was told he would be covered if something went down. Which is why this wet noodle found the courage to doctor a CIA document.

Last edited:

DeepBreath87

Jun 15, 2019
Is it safe to say we have a rigged justice system to go along with our stock market?
It’s just more rules for thee, not for me. You’ve got government officials flouting their own quarantines. Climate change advocates with private jets. Justice Department officials getting probation for fabricating evidence. Hedge funds getting specific stock trades restricted from the public. It goes on and on.

It’s right in everyone’s face. And we’re all busy fighting over politics while they rub all of our noses in it.

Nov 7, 2020
Is it safe to say we have a rigged justice system to go along with our stock market?

A surprise, to be sure.

Mista K

Oct 5, 2010
U.S.
This guy is looking at prison time for memes. Just as a comparison.
I read about this case. The biggest problem I have with it is that they weren’t really “memes” since they were made to look like a genuine advertisement, paid for by the Clinton campaign. If it isn’t election interference, it’s a type of fraud.

Anyway, I figured Clinesmith would get a slap on the wrist. People have gone to jail for a lot less, shame.

DeepBreath87

Jun 15, 2019
I read about this case. The biggest problem I have with it is that they weren’t really “memes” since they were made to look like a genuine advertisement, paid for by the Clinton campaign. If it isn’t election interference, it’s a type of fraud.

Anyway, I figured Clinesmith would get a slap on the wrist. People have gone to jail for a lot less, shame.
I know what they were. I’ve seen them online a bunch of times from all sides. All I can say is anyone who actually falls for something like that should not be voting.

Pumpkin Seeds

Jul 13, 2018

Problem is that still falls under satire and parody within free speech. He was also not the only person to do something like that. It seems like he is being selectively targeted for it to send a message.

Kadayi

Banned
Oct 10, 2012
Discord : Kadayi#0650
I'm surprised that people regard the law as an absolute of impartiality when it comes to judgement whereas the reality is it's always subject to interpretation and that interpretation usually goes they that is politically and socially convenient at the time. There has been all manner of legal injustices throughout history that people will readily acknowledge occurred, but don't necessarily ever get anywhere despite their merits.

Last edited:
Reactions: OnionSnake