• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kevin McCallister is a total sociopath in Home Alone 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh7-wAy_8ss

As per my holiday tradition, my wife and I are watching a holiday movie every evening until Christmas. Last night was Home Alone 2: Lost in New York.

Now, I've seen this movie too many times to count. I loved it as a child and I still find Daniel Stern to be the hidden gem of the franchise. However, I took the opportunity last night to really look at Kevin's motives for defending himself against Harry and Marv. In doing so, I came to the disturbing realization that Kevin McCallister grew into a sociopath a year after the events in the first Home Alone film.

This is a long one, so bear with me.

1. Kevin McCallister lacks empathy towards everyone but his mother, pigeon lady, the Southbend Shovel Slayer, and some unknown kids at an orphanage.

I. Throughout Home Alone 2, Kevin displays animosity towards anyone attempting to foil his plans. He seemingly tortures Tim Curry because he doesn't want to be caught with credit card fraud; going so far as to simulate a shootout on the 4th floor of a very posh and populated hotel in order to escape.​

82996-home-alone-gif-Merry-Christmas-TwJ8.gif

2. Kevin McCallister intends to kill Harry and Marv using some of the most heinous house traps ever.
I. Kevin thought he could get the job done the first time in Home Alone 1 and, when he fails in killing the two bumbling thieves, he decides to devise a house of horrors so painful, I found myself cringing at every single trap.​

II. Here's a list of traps that Kevin cooks up in Home Alone 2. Try to determine which ones wouldn't have killed someone]​
a. 3 bricks to Marv's forehead from about 5 or 6 stories up
home-alone-2-o.gif

b. A sack of heavy tools falling on Harry's head
giphy.gif

c. Marv being fucking electrocuted after being doused in paint. If you notice, Kevin continues to turn that dial up and up and up as Marv fries.
home-alone-2-marv-o.gif

d. Harry's head catching on fire before blowing up the first floor of the house by sticking his head in a toilet filled with gasoline.
anigif_enhanced-buzz-21551-1387394547-15.gif

e. Drop a long lead beam off a staircase, hitting both Marv and Harry square in the face and sending them falling about 20 feet through several holes in the floor.
tumblr_me8ebzTUHG1qb9yw1o1_500.gif

f. Drops a tool rack down the stairs which breaks the door and flings Harry and Marv into the opposite wall.
giphy.gif

g. Douses a rope in kerosene and then lights the sucker as Harry and Marv are trying to descend from 5 or 6 stories up.
ROPE.gif

h. Has several dozen pigeons attack Harry and Marv in central park, hoping the pigeons rip the flesh off their bones.
home-alone-2.jpg

3. At no point does Kevin seem to regret or show remorse to what he's putting these guys through. Yes, they're persistent to a fault and Kevin does need to defend himself. However, it is apparent that Kevin gleans joy out of watching these two knuckleheads slowly die by his hand.

4. What does he get for what could easily be considered attempted murder? Oh, just Duncan sending him and his family a fucking dump truck's worth of presents while pigeon lady gets to stand outside in a frigid New York morning with only a fucking turtledove ornament to show for it. Where is she going to hang that, Kevin? WHERE? She's homeless, god damn it.

Merry Christmas ya filthy animals.

bjork

It's like, they say "never let poor rudolph play in any reindeer games, like monopoly"

they don't even have hands, could they roll dice? Do reindeer read english and understand math enough to charge properly for properties? Is there jail on the north pole? How would they know jail is a bad thing?

jb1234

He was scary in Home Alone but that could be easily justified as him doing whatever was necessary to protect himself and his home. In HA2, none of that applies and the traps he sets are even more torturous. I think you have a solid case here, OP.

Undead

I think OP is thinking about this way too much, it's a fictitious movie.

IRL US kids shoot the burglars dead

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Me and my brothers enjoyed watching these movies and listing all the times the thieves should have died.

It's probably around 20 or so in 2.

You can't mess with kids on Christmas. Poor Marv though. He got hit so hard that his face now resembles French Stewart.

Again, Marv was the hero of those films. That dude took a pummeling that would have killed 10 men. All he was concerned about was how his hair look in those Polaroid snaps and getting it on with that random woman he met twice.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Agreed.

This movie is terrible, by the way. Terrible. I love the first and watch this every year. It is awful.

epmode

I remember not liking Home Alone 2 because it was essentially the same film as the first. Completely by-the-numbers.

diffusionx

Gold Member
They really amped up the booby traps in the second one, surely because it was so popular in the first one. It kind of does cross the line.

The Sticky Bandits had shown clear intent to murder Kevin earlier in the second film. Kevin is in the clear on this one.

But that's the thing. They abandon the chase in Central Park, but Kevin actually goes after them when he overhears them wanting to rob Duncan's Toy Store.

Instead of going to the fucking police, he decides to become a vigilante and do it his own way, luring them to that house and fucking them up. He had every opportunity to avoid this, but he was so turned on by hurting these guys that he could care less about doing things the right way.

a sociopath's delight! there SHOULD BE a modern movie where kevin is deeply satisfied by his childhood conclusion that humans are just shapes that move when he wants them to AND he's a hero for thwarting society's thieves... and then shit gets dark and he goes to the most criminally infested places in NYC and systematically tortures/kills bandits trying to break into places

they title the movie Human Alone

LakeEarth

He was scary in Home Alone but that could be easily justified as him doing whatever was necessary to protect himself and his home. In HA2, none of that applies and the traps he sets are even more torturous. I think you have a solid case here, OP.

Even in the first one, nothing was stopping him from going to the cops or his scary neighbor. You could claim that he was afraid about getting in trouble with the cops "making his parents disappear", but he made friends with the old man knowing full well that the burglars were coming.

Sephzilla

Considering Kevin's entire family is composed of genuinely awful people (right down to his parents) are you surprised Kevin turned out wrong?

orioto

Good Art™
And that's why the movie is a masterpiece by the way. At least the first one. It starts as a cute christmas story and ends like a nightmarish hardcore wrestling match

Home Alone 2 is objectively better than Home Alone 1 (which is also great). Fight me if you think otherwise.

My brother and I combined our finances to buy ourselves a Talk Boy after we saw that movie. It didn't work as well as the one in the movie but it was still pretty sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom