• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter: Divinity: Original Sin 2 [Over, $2 million funded]

Landford

Banned
I am laughing my ass off that kickstarter update. I cant explain, I always have a grin in my face whenever i hear anything about Larian. They are there with CDRed with me on best devs.

epmode

Is there an in-depth explanation of the co-op stuff somewhere? I loved the first one but the way co-op was implemented, was kind of weird. I'd love to have my fiance playing also and be able to 'group up' with missions and such. She owned the game but never really felt in 'control' of her own character since it only really applied to my save.

I seriously doubt that your character will be persistent across different campaigns. Feels like it would be too hard to balance, what with the way the personal quests intertwine with others in your party. Not to mention the balance issues inherent in gathering XP and items across multiple campaigns.

I still don't believe this doesn't have day/night and scheduling.

I'm sad about that too but Larian is already moving mountains with the improved characterization and interplay among party members.

Eusis

I am laughing my ass off that kickstarter update. I cant explain, I always have a grin in my face whenever i hear anything about Larian. They are there with CDRed with me on best devs.
It's a shame I haven't played more of OS because I do like their service. Even backed this despite not getting far in the first (although I do like how the EA is coming around my birthday!)

Mivey

Should I play the first one if I plan to fully enjoy the 2nd?
I'm assuming this one will have at least one town with a lot of NPC barks going off every 2 milliseconds. So in that sense, if you survive the market of Cyseal without suffering an aneurysm or becoming completely insane, I would say you are good to go.

Not sure if you know this but you can change your partner's AI in Original Sin 1. You can disable the AI so that you choose dialogue for both characters or you can set your companion to always agree with you. There's no need for RPS battles in single player (unless you're dealing with an NPC).
Really? Damn. Well, at least this means the game is even better than I thought it was.

Eusis

So.... Go play it now? It's such a good game.
Heh, I actually booted it up again earlier that night after I made that post. Might want to just restart fresh but then I'm only to the first town with two teammates so it's not as if it should be too hard to get back into it. Nevermind I got to the first town a bunch of times already by now.

I seriously doubt that your character will be persistent across different campaigns. Feels like it would be too hard to balance, what with the way the personal quests intertwine with others in your party. Not to mention the balance issues inherent in gathering XP and items across multiple campaigns.
Hrm, yeah. That makes sense now that I think about it. Probably need to implement an auto-level or something like Guild Wars 2 but then that starts becoming strange when they can't use things they may gain during leveling.

Should still be a lot of fun but we don't always play together and would lI've for both of us to have "ownership" of our characters.

Necron

Bought Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition during the PSN summer sale. Looking forward to playing it in couch co-op with my neighbour. I'm glad that the sequel will include this mode as well.

Auctopus

Thought this was the most appropriate and active thread.

I bought Divinity: Original Sin and was really enjoying it up until the point everything unfolds in the first town (pretty early I know).

I'm just at the point where I'm
investigating the home of the Doctor's apprentice
and I just feel overwhelmed with quests and I feel like my trains of thought are useless in this game. I feel that I'm a decent problem-solver and lateral thinker but the timing, order and subtleties required in your actions are quite frustrating. Right now as well I feel like I keep hitting walls because there is one way to go about things.

Could someone give me some advice to go about playing this game? I basically feel overwhelmed and frustrated.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!

I bought Divinity: Original Sin and was really enjoying it up until the point everything unfolds in the first town (pretty early I know).

and I just feel overwhelmed with quests and I feel like my trains of thought are useless in this game. I feel that I'm a decent problem-solver and lateral thinker but the timing, order and subtleties required in your actions are quite frustrating. Right now as well I feel like I keep hitting walls because there is one way to go about things.

Could someone give me some advice to go about playing this game? I basically feel overwhelmed and frustrated.
Don't be afraid to save often and if you're getting your ass kicked, you may want to go on a different path. The start of the game seems daunting, but other than the burning ship I think the other quests aren't timed. Try sticking to the main story until you get enough exp to explore a bit.

Mivey

Chill out and take your time. There is a lot of other stuff to do in Cyseal, and really you should enjoy your time there. The murder case is a main quest at the end of which you can leave the town, but there is no pressure on you. All of Cyseal is on big tutorial area to teach you how to use the PnP level of freedom in Divinity.

NG28

I know the kickstarter had been closed for awhile now, but the page mentions pledging through paypal. Is that closed too or is that still going on?

epmode

Could you be more specific as to what's going wrong? If you're at that point in the investigation, it sounds like you've already gotten over the early hurdles.

Basically, Original Sin does its best to adjust itself to whatever crazy thing you do. You can even finish the game after killing what appear to be plot-critical characters. So don't get worried about breaking something beyond the point of no return. Just check your journal if you need a refresher on the various plot threads.

Anyway, the game isn't as overwhelming as it seems. Monster levels are designed so that you're typically limited to a few areas. If you see a monster over your level, you're not supposed to be there.

Another thing: Cyseal has the most complex quest chains in the game. The stuff that comes later is more straightforward.

bj00rn_

Banned
I actually forgot that I had backed this one. Must've been a while ago I've checked my kickstarter pledges.. Anyway, nice "surprise".

Fantastic stuff. It really sounds like a fantastic sequel to an already-phenomenal game. So excited.

I'm sad that singleplayer competitive questing is out, but the origins and writing sound so interesting that I think I can live with it. Like, the new writing style is very good from the little scraps I've seen so far; more personal and intimate, reminiscent of NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer or somesuch. Also, it's great that they're not afraid to make "dialog cutscenes." Being beholden to in-game animations would be far too limiting.

No Undead in Early Access is a bummer for sure, though. They must be doing something very special with it; I hope Avellone can deliver!

Anno

Looks great.

Also interesting is that Swen said they are just over 1.5 million sales. SteamSpy has the game at about 1.1m, so maybe the console versions actually did well for themselves considering it's a niche of a niche.

Looks great.

Also interesting is that Swen said they are just over 1.5 million sales. SteamSpy has the game at about 1.1m, so maybe the console versions actually did well for themselves considering it's a niche of a niche.

It's also on GOG, so the console portion is probably a bit lower than that.

Labadal

I can't play it until it hurts Early Access but I got my backer Steam key. Do NOT redeem if you want to get the GOG key.

This key will become the key for the full game.

Eusis

I can't play it until it hurts Early Access but I got my backer Steam key. Do NOT redeem if you want to get the GOG key.

This key will become the key for the full game.
Worked for me last time, works for me now. Getting it redeemed ASAP.

I want every one of these (at their PAX booth):

CrUs-LvUMAABTSW.jpg

epmode

I still don't see a D:OS2 key at larianvault.com. I've already linked my Kickstarter account and I've already used the site for the first Original Sin release.

Are the keys not available for everyone yet? The Kickstarter update makes it sound like my key should be there.

Llyranor

I still don't see a D:OS2 key at larianvault.com. I've already linked my Kickstarter account and I've already used the site for the first Original Sin release.

Are the keys not available for everyone yet? The Kickstarter update makes it sound like my key should be there.

That's weird. Mine is there.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
For the people not getting keys, did you make the selection for the type of key on the choices and input page? You have to choose which type of key (even if Steam is the only option for now) before it lets you generate a code on the product key page.

epmode

For the people not getting keys, did you make the selection for the type of key on the choices and input page? You have to choose which type of key (even if Steam is the only option for now) before it lets you generate a code on the product key page.

Oh hay, that did it! Thanks!

I actually have two keys from the Kickstarter. I hope this didn't lock my second key into Steam.

Hey I played through DOS EE and absolutely loved it (actually played through 3 times). But my question to you guys who did early access: Would you have recommended to just wait until EE came out? I know a lot of things changed.

Wondering if I should just wait out DOS 2 until its finished or get it early access.

epmode

Hey I played through DOS EE and absolutely loved it (actually played through 3 times). But my question to you guys who did early access: Would you have recommended to just wait until EE came out? I know a lot of things changed.

Wondering if I should just wait out DOS 2 until its finished or get it early access.

I launched the early access version after most patches to see how it was improving. Worth it. It's also a good time to suggest UI/mechanical changes to the developer before everything was set in stone.

However! I wouldn't recommend a full early access playthrough though you're really interested in providing meaningful content feedback to the developer.

Arulan

Added my key to Steam.

This game continues to look more impressive after each new update. If they execute on their ambition, this could be a defining moment in CRPG history. Let's hope Torment: Tides of Numenera does so as well.

Did they ever say how many origin stories there were?

Top Bottom