• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kickstarter Thread | List of gaming kickstarts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Is "it's not very far along" really a fair criticism to level at any Kickstarter?

people want to see evidence the developer can make something fun. some of these "not very far along" projects have a pitch so vague it's not clear whether they know what they are doing or not.

people want to see evidence the developer can make something fun. some of these "not very far along" projects have a pitch so vague it's not clear whether they know what they are doing or not.

Yet they get all pissy at Grim Dawn for having a working pre-alpha.

It seems like people will pledge more for a vague promise then a actual think that can be shown.

It seems like people will pledge more for a vague promise then a actual think that can be shown.

Well, from some of the comments both on Kickstarter and on GAF, a lot of people think Kickstarter should be for shit that is just an idea on paper.

A lot of companies are promising transparency, but until the DFA doc episodes start rolling out, and we have at least a year of Gamestarters, the Knowledge Base between consumer and dev is going to be wide as ever.

ezekial45

Banned
This one is pretty neat, with an overly wordy name. Legend of the Time Star. It's a side scrolling action RPG, I guess in the vein of the early Ys games.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...the-time-star-a-retro-action-rpg?ref=category

lots-scn-dev-v4.png

Unfortunately, that seems to be just a mock-up, not from a demo, and the only people they list on their team is a music guy (albeit one that worked with WayForward) and an artist (plus an animation company).

This looks awesome. How long have they been going at it with this KS page?

This one is pretty neat, with an overly wordy name. Legend of the Time Star. It's a side scrolling action RPG, I guess in the vein of the early Ys games.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...the-time-star-a-retro-action-rpg?ref=category

http://hyperactiveproductions.net/LOTS/lots-scn-dev-v4.png/IMG]

Unfortunately, that seems to be just a mock-up, not from a demo, and the only people they list on their team is a music guy (albeit one that worked with WayForward) and an artist (plus an animation company).[/QUOTE]

that does look cool, ill track it and donate if it looks to be close.

and not to be an ass, but only Ys 3 was ever a side scroller and was a departure for the series from 1 & 2 which were both top down.

WallJump

Banned

lots-scn-dev-v4.png

Unfortunately, that seems to be just a mock-up, not from a demo, and the only people they list on their team is a music guy (albeit one that worked with WayForward) and an artist (plus an animation company).

This was my first Kickstarter. DAMN YOU INDIE ZEITGEIST.

Came here to post this. They are a long way from being done. But it looks like Ys, sounds like sex, and it's a side-scroller with loot and quests. For 10 bucks?? SIGN ME UP.

Here's another space sim:

Drifter: A Space Trading Game
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/celsiusgs/drifter-a-space-trading-game

I'm not familiar with iOS gaming, but it's being made by Celsius Game Studios. Celsius consists of a guy named Colin Walsh. He made an iOS space shooter called Red Nova. Drifter is iOS only right now, but if the project succeeds, it's being brought to PC and Mac.

The music's being composed by Danny Baranowsky, composer on Super Meat Boy, The Binding of Isaac, Canabalt, and Cave Story 3D.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Realm Explorer has an update but it doesn't have much, mostly just what they will show in the next one.
In keeping with saving the best for last the most exciting news we have to share is that we have been preparing a single player demo of the game! For now we'll be sharing this demo with the media, big Youtubers and others who have access to large audiences that can help us spread the word about Realm Explorer far and wide.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Screen_Hardcore.jpg

The Hardest Platformer Ever

Target: $20,000
Deadline: May 26

Three years ago we set out on a quest to design the platformer to end all platformers. We started off by constructing an artificial intelligence capable of designing levels on demand, suitable for any difficulty level and built to any specification. The construction was an arduous task. We had to teach the AI everything we knew about level design: flow, spacing, rhythm, player expectation. Then we had to guarantee that everything the AI constructed was possible to beat and suitable for the right skill level.

Three years ago we set out on a quest to design the platformer to end all platformers. We started off by constructing an artificial intelligence capable of designing levels on demand, suitable for any difficulty level and built to any specification. The construction was an arduous task. We had to teach the AI everything we knew about level design: flow, spacing, rhythm, player expectation. Then we had to guarantee that everything the AI constructed was possible to beat and suitable for the right skill level.
THAT LOOKS INSANE, how do you even play something like that, its even more insane than I want to be the guy.

seriously I hope they make it just so that I can watch a youtube clip of someone finishing a level.

dude

dude
Screen_Hardcore.jpg

Seriously considering this.

Screen_Hardcore.jpg

Backed.

Screen_Hardcore.jpg

That shit cray. Will back. I probably won't ever play it but I want it to exist.

Screen_Hardcore.jpg

If I had the money, I would donate based on their self-awareness alone.

Acosta

Screen_Hardcore.jpg

I'm so going to back this for the pitch alone.

I posted this in the Starlight Inception thread to update people. It's down to 43 hours and it shot up by $17,000 yesterday to hit $99,000. It needs $51,000 more to hit its goal.

mclem

THAT LOOKS INSANE, how do you even play something like that, its even more insane than I want to be the guy.

seriously I hope they make it just so that I can watch a youtube clip of someone finishing a level.

Looking at the footage, I get the impression it's actually designed as a rhythm game; note that on the really crazy bits the guy is just moving to the right and jumping, and most of the scarier obstacles are just not near him when it happens.

If it's internally structured as "Generate a control sequence to beat it, then populate the level with things which will avoid you if you match that sequence", that'd explain how they can guarantee it's beatable. Of course it'd still be doable if you deviate from the sequence, but from that point you'd be reliant on your actions.

The true difficulty of the game, therefore, would be determined by how complicated that control sequence is. I note that the guy never goes *left* in the crazy scenes, and in most he never stands still (with jumping) either. I wonder if everything is solvable with just right and jump. Mind you, this is all from looking at videos, it's quite possible that there's a lot more nuance in the game itself.

I can't believe Grim Dawn has not met its goal yet. For something that was almost complete, I thought the money would be theirs already. I really hope all of the backers come through and it isn't like Shadowrun where a ton of the money never materializes when it comes time to charge credit cards. Granted Shadowrun still raked in a ton of money.

RSP

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I can't believe Grim Dawn has not met its goal yet. For something that was almost complete, I thought the money would be theirs already. I really hope all of the backers come through and it isn't like Shadowrun where a ton of the money never materializes when it comes time to charge credit cards. Granted Shadowrun still raked in a ton of money.

I haven't seen or heard much about that kickstarter, so I'm surprised it's moved as quickly as it has. I don't think they'd call it almost complete either, especially since they referred to it as a "vertical slice and a half." Looks like they have the game systems in place for the most part, now they need to build the world around them.

kevinski

Banned
Screen_Hardcore.jpg

Nice to see that this has already been mentioned. This game looks incredible. I just backed it.

Hmm? That's the first I heard about Shadowrun.... What happened?

Jordan Weisman slipped off into the shadows and ran away with your money, never to return.

But really.... it seems like this happened:

It’s May! It’s May!

And it’s also the official kickoff of Shadowrun Returns.

While the majority of the team bug-fixes, tunes, and polishes our new game, Strikefleet Omega, a core group has broken off to lay some of the groundwork for Shadowrun. It may not be exciting stuff from a player point-of-view but the team is really pumped that we are investing time now to maximize productivity later.

Well, Most of the team is still polishing up one of their other games currently in development, while a small number of members are doing preliminary work for Shadowrun Returns. The game is planned to be released for January 2013, seems like a tight scheduled.

Also, he had this to say as well:

The Backer’s Survey to determine which city becomes our second location should go out sometime next week. We’ve been listening and a few cities are rising to the top but you still have time to discuss your favorites and why. Don’t worry about lobbying us—talk amongst yourselves! Your (thoughtful, respectful) debates are the best way for us to learn from you.

I guess that means this week when they announce the second city in the game. :p

Muppet345

This seems decent:

Alcarys Complex

Modest independently created RPG. Reminds me of that Americana Dawn game in that it's mostly done and they're only asking for enough money to cover having better art assets, music, etc.

Aselith

Good news, everyone! Digitilus is going to be releasing their demo to the public soon (they sent me an email asking for people who were willing to host.) I'll let you guys know when it's up. Frankly, all their updates are in broken English so I was worried they were a possible scam outfit but I think the demo might make me back it for realsies (currently have a dollar down on it so I could message them.)

Edit: Actually I looked a little further down my updates and I guess it's already out. Give er a try!

SKYJACKER Demo

DiscoJer

Jordan Weisman slipped off into the shadows and ran away with your money, never to return.

No, I think he meant this part

I really hope all of the backers come through and it isn't like Shadowrun where a ton of the money never materializes when it comes time to charge credit cards. Granted Shadowrun still raked in a ton of money.

I didn't hear anything about Shadowrun Returns not getting all their money, either. Obviously a percentage wouldn't go through, but it was pretty small in the Double Fine.

Aselith

No, I think he meant this part

I didn't hear anything about Shadowrun Returns not getting all their money, either. Obviously a percentage wouldn't go through, but it was pretty small in the Double Fine.

It would show it on the Kickstarter page. Anything that doesn't go through gets taken away from the total and everyone was already charged.

Hmm? That's the first I heard about Shadowrun.... What happened?

Shadowrun's kickstarter had close to 4 million before the end not counting the paypal money. When they announced the final numbers including the the paypal money it was just under 3 million which I can only assume means a large chunk of the money pledged through kickstarter never materialized due to bogus pledges or credit cards that would not go through.

gabbo

Good news, everyone! Digitilus is going to be releasing their demo to the public soon (they sent me an email asking for people who were willing to host.) I'll let you guys know when it's up. Frankly, all their updates are in broken English so I was worried they were a possible scam outfit but I think the demo might make me back it for realsies (currently have a dollar down on it so I could message them.)

Edit: Actually I looked a little further down my updates and I guess it's already out. Give er a try!

SKYJACKER Demo

That is a big demo.
Will grab it and take a look, if Starlight doesn't succeed and the demo for Skyjacker is any good, I may back it.

JoseJX

Shadowrun's kickstarter had close to 4 million before the end not counting the paypal money. When they announced the final numbers including the the paypal money it was just under 3 million which I can only assume means a large chunk of the money pledged through kickstarter never materialized due to bogus pledges or credit cards that would not go through.

I don't know where you got those numbers from, but they're wrong. It finished at 1.8M. It never got near 4M, as can be seen here: http://ruinedkingdoms.com/shadowrun/

Maybe he was thinking of the Kicktraq projections?

Oh probably. But to quote Kicktraqs own site:

The trend line is not an estimation or a forecast, it’s just a trend that takes the current value and casts it over the remainder of the project’s funding period. Because of the way projects initially fund, especially popular ones, the initial few days are highly skewed when casting over the remainder of the project. This is why the accuracy of the overall trend is so off-kilter the first few days, but gets better as the campaign progresses – because it’s constantly being adjusted based on the current funding level.

http://blog.kicktraq.com/why-you-should-take-kicktraq-trends-with-a-grain-of-salt/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom