• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

The hype is increasing a lot every day, now. At the release, it'll be beyond control, I know.

For who's interested, the game is 1st on Amazon.jp, 6th on Amazon.com, 14th on Gamestop.com chart which includes both already released games and yet to be released ones, and 26th on Amazon.uk.
Are you seriously checking different Amazon rankings? Super bored or super hyped? :p

Wizpig

This is why i'm
fapping
hyped:

Motoi Sakuraba [Tales of, Golden Sun, etc.]
Yuzo Koshiro [Castlevania PoR w/ Yamane, Streets of Rage, Revenge of Shinobi, etc.]
Masafumi Takada [Killer7, No More Heroes, Vanquish, God Hand, etc.]
Noriyuki Iwadare [Ace Attorney]
Yasunori Mitsuda [Inazuma Eleven, Xenoblade, Chrono Trigger, etc.]

Gambit

I'm sorry, I didn't play it, but did you seriously bold Inazuma Eleven in a line with Xenoblade, Chrono Trigger and Mitsuda's other works?

Now I am curious to hear that soundtrack.

I'm hoping this does well, I don't have a 3DS and likely won't get one, but this is the first time Nintendo have really brought back an old franchise/made a new one (It's practically brand new, with new gameplay, mechanics, etc) and I'd like to see this be a success.

sfried

I don't have a 3DS and likely won't get one, but this is the first time Nintendo have really brought back an old franchise/made a new one (It's practically brand new, with new gameplay, mechanics, etc) and I'd like to see this be a success.
Uh...so why not get a 3DS and this game?

massoluk

Banned
I'm hoping this does well, I don't have a 3DS and likely won't get one, but this is the first time Nintendo have really brought back an old franchise/made a new one (It's practically brand new, with new gameplay, mechanics, etc) and I'd like to see this be a success.

ORLY?

Busaiku

Nintendo does this with Kirby all the time.

Vidiot

They brought back (or at leat paid someone else to) Punch Out not that long ago and it was great.

Anteo

I'm hoping this does well, I don't have a 3DS and likely won't get one, but this is the first time Nintendo have really brought back an old franchise/]made a new one (It's practically brand new, with new gameplay, mechanics, etc) and I'd like to see this be a success.

*Inserts List of nintendo new IPs from 2011*

creid

I'm sorry, I didn't play it, but did you seriously bold Inazuma Eleven in a line with Xenoblade, Chrono Trigger and Mitsuda's other works?

I've played I11, and I can't understand how anyone would prefer it over any of his other works.

So for people who have played the game to some degree:

How bad are the controls. The game looks really awesome and fun, but the "concern" I'm hearing about the controls have me worried. I'm usually not too picky about controls, but these seem to be "game breaking" from my understanding.

Tom_Cody

They brought back (or at leat paid someone else to) Punch Out not that long ago and it was great.
I don't want to speak for Solid SOAP but I think I agree with the point he is trying to make.

In the same way that Mario 64 was a major departure from it's predecessors, this is definitely a major a departure/expansion from what had existed previously.

In that sense, Punch Out!! Wii is the polar opposite of KI:U. The gameplay is as similar to its predecessors as New Super Mario is the original.

iavi

So for people who have played the game to some degree:

How bad are the controls. The game looks really awesome and fun, but the "concern" I'm hearing about the controls have me worried. I'm usually not too picky about controls, but these seem to be "game breaking" from my understanding.

The concern you're hearing is coming from people who haven't actually played the game...most of the actual hands on impressions that I've read say they work great in practice, if not with a bit of a learning curve--the transition between air & ground being a large part of that.

Neiteio

Here's my understanding of the situation with the controls, based on tweets from Rich at IGN, as well as other hands-on reports I've read:

The controls are highly responsive, intuitive and perfectly playable, but the hand can cramp up playing the game. And it's nothing to do with the stylus. It sounds like it's more to do with the thumb working the circle pad and the index finger on the same hand repeatedly working the shoulder pad, all whilst supporting the full weight of the system. This mainly crops up in the ground missions, perhaps because you're moving your character in all directions while doing the normal dodging and such. So it sounds like there's a learning curve to finding the most comfortable way to play this game at length, but as Rich said in his Twitter feed, "Buy it."

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Currently practicing my rusty stylus technique with that old metroid prime hunters demo.

man, morph ball training is straight up impossible with them haha!

But playing this takes me back to the days when the ds first came out. the old highschool days of sittin in the back of the classroom playing the multiplayer demo with a couple dudes across the room, our heads staring at our laps pretending to read books or some other scholastic shit like that lol. The days before everyone had a cell phone.

those were days.

This is why i'm
fapping
hyped:

Yuzo Koshiro [Castlevania PoR w/ Yamane, Streets of Rage, Revenge of Shinobi, etc.]

So the deal is one of the people on this list is the composer and we're supposed to guess?

zroid

Banned
Next anime short goes up tomorrow:

Kid Icarus 3D Anime
Available on Nintendo Video on: Mar 16, 2012
Genre: Animation
Studio: Studio 4C

Medusa’s Revenge
Learn the tale of Medusa (Goddess of the Underworld) and Palutena's rivalry, which stretches from far into Pit's past right up to the present day.

Not sure if serious, but this is what's called a collaboration.

They're all working on it.

I read that after the fact. I thought it said somewhere that they were playing one of their Japanese games where they were like "Listen to the sample and see if you can guess who the composer is."

I know what a collaboration is... :p

Tyeforce

There is no way to save these videos is there?
No, unless you never allow Nintendo Video to download new videos that is.

I really hope they put these episodes up on the eShop for purchase like they did with those Dreamworks videos. And the Kirby 3D episode, that would also be nice to have, too.

Jarsonot

There is no way to save these videos is there?

They're on the memory card, right? So theoretically they could be backed up.

The system may check to see if they're expired when you go to play them again, may hve to change the date and be offline?

Of course, I have no idea, it just seems like it should be possible.

Thoraxes

I read that after the fact. I thought it said somewhere that they were playing one of their Japanese games where they were like "Listen to the sample and see if you can guess who the composer is."

I know what a collaboration is... :p

Ohhhh ok. I was like what is going on here?! :p

iavi

They're not removing the shorts from the eshop after a set amount of time are they? I haven't gotten my 3DS yet.

Busaiku

They're not removing the shorts from the eshop after a set amount of time are they? I haven't gotten my 3DS yet.

The shorts aren't on eShop yet, they're only on Nintendo Video now.
Nintendo Video only allows for 4 videos at a time, so yes, they will eventually be replaced.

Tyeforce

They're not on the eShop, they're in the Nintendo Video app. With Nintendo Video, you get up to four videos at a time that are downloaded to your system via SpotPass and are swapped out with new videos periodically. So yes, they're going to be replaced soon. But I'm sure they be will aired a second time, or maybe even be made available to purchase on the eShop so you can keep them forever.

EDIT: Beaten, lol.

Downhome

Alright guys, I'm a long time fan of the original Kid Icarus on the NES, and like tons of people I've wanted another game for years and years. When this one was announced I got hyped, then all I saw was people bashing it, and I instantly went dark right after the first screenshot were released months and months ago. I haven't read anything about it, or seen any video or screens since that time.

I only know that it recently got the 40/40 score, and hype has totally started back up again.

Without spoiling anything, lets see if you can summarize why I should let lose and go into full hype mode once again. I don't want to be disappointed people. What in the world happened to the project to get things going like this again?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Alright guys, I'm a long time fan of the original Kid Icarus on the NES, and like tons of people I've wanted another game for years and years. When this one was announced I got hyped, then all I saw was people bashing it, and I instantly went dark right after the first screenshot were released months and months ago. I haven't read anything about it, or seen any video or screens since that time.

I only know that it recently got the 40/40 score, and hype has totally started back up again.

Without spoiling anything, lets see if you can summarize why I should let lose and go into full hype mode once again. I don't want to be disappointed people. What in the world happened to the project to get things going like this again?

BIG MONSTERS KILL PIT GRR

zroid

Banned
FYI, not sure when Thanatos Rising Part 1 is being deleted in North America, but in Japan today is the last day it seems. I think it's the worst of the three, but probably worth seeing anyway, before it gets removed.

Also, another piece of info I procured -- apparently comedy writer Mike Drucker worked on much of the dialogue and humour in KI:U. He's worked on Nintendo projects in the past, though interestingly, IGN also employs him.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
They just played a Kid Icarus ad during the UNC Ashville/Syracuse game (March Madness). I imagine a bunch of people are watching because it is late second half of a really close game between a 16 seed and a 1 seed.

BTW, I'm sure you have all seen the ad (the CGI one), but it is still epic!

Tyeforce

• Made by Sakurai
  • Tons of content and replay value
  • Makes great use of pretty much all of the 3DS's features
  • Online and local multiplayer for up to six players
  • Great risk/reward system
  • Simple to play, but has lots of depth
  • Lots of references to classic Kid Icarus
  • Amazing music and great 3D graphics
  • You get free stuff with the game

Rehynn

This is why i'm
fapping
hyped:

Oh, NOW I get it!

Turns out I was a fan of two of these gentlemen (Takada and Iwadare) without even knowing their names.

Do you mean pre-orders or just anywhere you buy the game at any time?

Buying anywhere anytime gets you a free stand and 6 AR cards.

Wizpig

Bolding (some of) the stuff i played ;)
Played very few stuff with music by Mitsuda; Inazuma is not bad.

Nice avatar

edit. oh wait, let me bold this one

Mario Party (1998) holee shit that music was good! i'm serious.
His one game i'd like to play the most is obviously Xenogears.

olimpia84

I went from "I'm skipping this" to preordering the game a few days ago. I'm hyped and can't wait to fire this game up. The classic 3D game and free cards are nice bonuses.

Go on...

Do you mean pre-orders or just anywhere you buy the game at any time? I'm going to order it here later tonight. Where should I set my sights?

You also get a free 3D Classics version of Kid Icarus NES if you pre-order from Gamestop, Amazon and (I think) Best Buy.

KarmaCow

You also get a free 3D Classics version of Kid Icarus NES if you pre-order from Gamestop, Amazon and (I think) Best Buy.

Oh yea, I forgot about that. How does that work, does the store give you a code or do you get it once you register the game? I didn't see anything about that when I preordered from Bestbuy, but I am in Canada.

Thoraxes

Oh snap, my cards shipped.

x9UX4.jpg

Top Bottom