• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kid Icarus Uprising |OT| On a Wing and a Prayer

Hero

Just got this game, so good. Everything is just so slick and pretty. Air controls are great. Ground controls are a bit less than ideal but certainly not game-breaking, though maybe if it was on 9 difficult I might think differently. As it is, I think people are overreacting to it. Still, it would've been relatively easy to implement CPP control option.

Ragus

Banned
Activity Logs tells me, that so far I've clocked 10 hours and 10 minutes. But on the other hand, Records options tells me, that it's 11:41. Time flows faster in game? Fucking Sakurai and his magic.

Robin64

Absolutely loving everyone's reaction to first seeing
Chapter 18
Mine was no different.
Sakurai and his team did an amazing job.

This is the extra franchise Nintendo needed for me. Now it's Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Metroid, F-Zero, Starfox, Pikmin and (I really hope), Kid Icarus.

KevinCow

Banned
I may have just missed it, but the original game's Skyworld theme doesn't appear to be remixed anywhere. Every other song from the original pops up in one form or another, though, so I just missed it, right?

Darryl

Banned
really wish they would've chosen a better formula for calculating your multiplayer score. i can't tell if i'm improving or not because it keeps jumping around.

Been balancing this with Baldur's gate 2 and devil survivor so I'm only up to chapter 3 at this point. Though the achievement wall isn't helping me progress. Played some more multiplayer and managed to get my first 1st place finish in free for all.

Ok, WTF, I timed the mission 1 for the 4 minutes achivement.
I DID IT in less than 4 muntes, yet I didnt got the achivement. If they are counting the loading and dialogs where the game stops, the achivement is fucked up.

They just gave me a power of super speed, Im going to use that to see if it possible, but I dont get my hopes up.

BTW the flying section of mission 1 is already 2 minutes and 50 seconds (if you dont count the loading between flying and ground).
I arrived with 30 second spare in my timer to the boss, and killed it in 15.

EDIT: Well, the game said the game me Super Speed Power, but it doesnt appear in the powers menu. That also happend when they game something called Titan Power and I didnt find it there.
Dou you have to buy them somewhere?

I DID IT in less than 4 muntes, yet I didnt got the achivement. If they are counting the loading and dialogs where the game stops, the achivement is fucked up.

They just gave me a power of super speed, Im going to use that to see if it possible, but I dont get my hopes up.

BTW the flying section of mission 1 is already 2 minutes and 50 seconds (if you dont count the loading between flying and ground).

Might be a "you have to do it on Difficulty Level 4 or over" thing.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Chapter
ish spoilers:

Gotta admit...Palutena and Pit's counterarguments against Viridi aren't sounding so hot. Her point about Pit's own willingness to kill the underworld forces that he perceives as "evil" rings especially true

schlew

Anyone know of any way to play offline multi against bots w/o having to have the wireless switch on? If I have it off it just boots me back and forces me to turn it on to continue. Just wanna conserve on battery if I can.

EDIT: Well, the game said the game me Super Speed Power, but it doesnt appear in the powers menu. That also happend when they game something called Titan Power and I didnt find it there.
Dou you have to buy them somewhere?

I beat it with Tirelessness + Tiger Claws + 0.0 Intensity.

You should be able to kill Twinbellows in one or two hits. Not sure if the following cutscene counts but you can skip it (start/select) for good measure.

KevinCow

Banned
Chapter
ish spoilers:

Gotta admit...Palutena and Pit's counterarguments against Viridi aren't sounding so hot. Her point about Pit's own willingness to kill the underworld forces that he perceives as "evil" rings especially true

Hades: Trying to kill all humans.
Viridi: Trying to kill all humans.
Palutena and Pit: Trying to keep Hades and Viridi from killing all humans.

As I am personally a human, I tend to root for the team that's not trying to kill all humans.

Skilletor

Where is this free roaming ground mission on Sin & Punishment? I think only mouse can match the speed of this mayhem. Dual analog sticks will definitely sacrifice this. You can't do 180 turn in mere instant with dual analog.

I've played plenty of 3rd person games where I can do a 180 by pressing a button.

The defenders of these controls are getting into hyperbole now...

I beat it with Tirelessness + Tiger Claws + 0.0 Intensity.

You should be able to kill Twinbellows in one or two hits. Not sure if the following cutscene counts but you can skip it (start/select) for good measure.

I did it in 4 minutes roughly, counting even the loading screens (so they seem to matter) and skipping the last cutscene, still no achivement.
Im going to do what you say, although i dont have tiredness thats seem to be fucking my timing (i use claws with +1 speed so I go pretty fast), but they gave me super speed at last, so im going to try it like that.
Any way of getting Tiredness power up, or did you get it randomly.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I've played plenty of 3rd person games where I can do a 180 by pressing a button.

You can do a 180 in this game by pressing a single button.

It's the R button. Actually it straight up changes the camera to what ever direction you are holding the stick to. I slap it with my pinky from time to time. but you can change it to a face button

Also I got that 4 mins thing on 5.0 intensity just bum rush through it, ignore monsters and such. I didnt even use Tirelessness

Hylian7

I'm not really defending the controls per se, but they definitely fall under the category of "you adapt to them, they don't adapt to you". I have had more success aiming with the touch screen instead of the Circle Pad though.

Chapter 19 spoilers:
I was fucking dying at the loading screen joke.
Chapter 20 help!:
I seem to be lost in an area with a door with a lock on it at the end of a short staircase. I've been wandering around and can't figure it out.

Of all the chapters I played so far,

I really love Chapter 17. Since the last two chapters, you have everyone working together to deal with the Aurum(sp?) invasion... and then Pyrrhon's turn on you.

PK Gaming

Hades: Trying to kill all humans.
Viridi: Trying to kill all humans.
Palutena and Pit: Trying to keep Hades and Viridi from killing all humans.

As I am personally a human, I tend to root for the team that's not trying to kill all humans.

It's honestly as simple as that. Viridi herself is a huge hypocrite too, which I think is adds to her character.

AT LASt GOT THE 4 MINUTE ACHIVEMENT!
Super Speed is awesome.

Of all the chapters I played so far,

I really love Chapter 17. Since the last two chapters, you have everyone working together to deal with the Aurum(sp?) invasion... and then Pyrrhon's turn on you.

I didnt like one of the
Aurum
stages becuase it was too difficult (shit going in all directions to kill you). But I probably just shit over it with my new playstyle. Although I still fear those flying sections.

Beth Cyra

Just picked up a copy because all the buzz around here, won't get to play it till later but I hope I love it half as much as others around here.

Synless

Ground controls in this game are ass. I don't know how they thought what they were using was the best method of controlling.

I just been playing the first mission (on various difficulties), but already I can see the appeal. Even if ground controls are terrible the game has style and beauty. I didn't laugh out loud at the jokes, but they were good. I think the fast paced nature helps making the game fun, along with its addictive achievement system.

It's the R button. Actually it straight up changes the camera to what ever direction you are holding the stick to. I slap it with my pinky from time to time. but you can change it to a face button

Also I got that 4 mins thing on 5.0 intensity just bum rush through it, ignore monsters and such. I didnt even use Tirelessness

I was just going to say this. This game already has turning set to a button. You could use that same button to do quickturns with a dual analog stick setup. People here acting like you couldn't possibly do a quickturn with dual analog stick controls need to read this. At least 3 times. Hey, guess what other game uses a camera turning system like this. Yeah, Zelda and every other game that copied OOT's camera.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
There are people playing and enjoying the game with ABXY to move and the circle pad to aim, or even aiming with ABXY. It would play fine with dual analog sticks.

This whole control thing is stupid. Here, let me have the last word on it: The controls aren't broken, you can adjust if you give them a chance, and it would be crazy to miss out on the rest of this fantastic game because you don't like them. However, Nintendo really should have included a dual analog CPP option, because there are people who would have preferred to play like that.

There, that's it, the end, that's all that needs to be said on the matter.

I understand your point, though I have a different point view on this question. Take PES Team Maker on wii for an analogy: Konami created the most innovative controls in a sports game ever. Yet less people than expected bothered dealing with the learning curve in the first releases. So they added classic controller support in the latest editions. The result is fewer people bought it and those who did (I take my friends and online opponents as a sample) went to what they knew, classic controls. Instead of imposing their vision of a brand new gameplay, Konami tried to compromise. And they failed at making Team maker controls a popular setup in the process.

Kid Icarus is an author game, with an ideal control set up in mind, which is based around the stylus/touchscreen. And I'm glad most people will have to try it. Because for all those who will not like it, there will be others who will have a revelation of how good it is to play like that.

And there's a benefit for me, as more 3DS (and Wii U) developpers will be able build on KI's audience, now familiar with such controls.

olimpia84

Yeah if they choose to make a sequel they need to drop these controls.

Why drop them? I'm not a big fan of the ground controls and I'm still trying to adjust to them after playing hours but it seems to be working well for most people. In any case, Nintendo should add double analog support in the sequel (or even a patch for this game).

Man, no way. Even if in a sequel, there'll be twin stick controls, it would be broken. This game is nervous and needs accuracy. Stylus is so far more accurate than any sticks on earth. Seriously, I felt in love with those controls. The only thing I regret is the L button being too small.

Jintor

Shit, this will be super helpful

Insaniac

If anyone has played metroid prime hunters, THAT is how the ground controls should feel. That being said, I am growing used to them, but I expected something akin to MPH

Alchemy

Eh, I like the controls. It took me about an hour to get used to, and the stand makes it 10x easier.

So I haven't played the game yet, but those are two serious issues. You shouldn't need a bloody stand to play a game, and an hour is a pretty long learning curve honestly. Sounds like there is room for improvement.

Why? I fucking love the controls now, even if I didnt like them at first.
Why dont give the option to have both?
But take one for the other in the next one? No way.

So I haven't played the game yet, but those are two serious issues. You shouldn't need a bloody stand to play a game, and an hour is a pretty long learning curve honestly. Sounds like there is room for improvement.

I dont use the stand for example, even more, I found it inpractical when i tried to use it. I just play it like any 3ds game and I play it fine.

massoluk

Banned
I was just going to say this. This game already has turning set to a button. You could use that same button to do quickturns with a dual analog stick setup. People here acting like you couldn't possibly do a quickturn with dual analog stick controls need to read this. At least 3 times. Hey, guess what other game uses a camera turning system like this. Yeah, Zelda and every other game that copied OOT's camera.

That wasn't my point man. I'm all for dual analog support on ccp. But making it default will change the game drastically, not "without sacrificing much."

When I was saying 180 turn, I should have said 360 turn, where you can looking around and targeting various surround enemies at a much greater speed.

branny

I don't know what these control arguments are even defending or attacking anymore.

The camera snap in this game is okay for the ABXY movement + Circle Pad aiming scheme, but cranking up the sensitivity lets you spin the camera nearly as fast (possibly even faster?) without also making you have to readjust Pit's direction. I don't use the 180 camera snap that much at all; and I use 90 degree camera snaps even less often.

A 180 degree sudden run backwards for me is basically a double tap hold on B, camera snap button, and then double tap hold X just as Pit stutters to reorient himself to the new camera angle. That's something you would only do to escape because trying to aim while the camera is doing that will take precedence over the snap, just as it does with the stylus aiming if I'm not mistaken.

I know this is another stylus vs. dual analog war, but there are other people here besides me who prefer playing Uprising without a stylus. I firmly believe each control option has its pros and cons, but they ultimately appear to be more or less equal in terms of effectiveness. Maybe it's because I don't care for the stylus aiming that much that I'm not seeing what all this bitching is about. I find the controls I'm using 99% suited to doing what the game demands, only losing 1% because the flying sections feel a little clunkier with ABXY movement.

Darryl

Banned

you don't "need" the stand, i only use it when i'm in bed, and so my 3ds sits pretty on my desk.

it's a new control scheme and it takes time to learn. i don't think there's anything actually wrong with it. it's not like that 1 hour learning curve is miserable, either. i was having a blast while i was learning, with my mind being blown every corner i took.

So the golden laurel in the stages is for beating them 100% (finding all chambers and secrets).
When you get a golden laurel your game complete percentage goes up, so its actually that.
Somebody needs to do a map of the zones though, becuase im thinking sometimes I have seen every corner of the stage, and even beaten the intensty gate, but I still get green.

Hale-XF11

Just beat Chapter 1 in under 4 minutes using the Tirelessness power up, plus it also gave me the achievement for "Defeat Twinbellow before it can roar once." I got 8000 hearts for that! Nice!

Korosenai

I said the stand makes it easier to play, not that you need it to play. I can play without the stand just fine, but if i'm at home playing it, I might as well use what came with the game.

emb

I guess a Wii U title would be Nunchuck+remote or some sort of Upad touch screen aiming.

After playing this and Sin and Punishment 2, I'm a little disappointed that this game wasn't made for the Wii. That would also help fix the camera issue on the ground, since you could use the D-pad while walking.

Still love this game anyway, even if it makes me uncomfortable after too long.

Truth101

Banned

An hour is a short learning curve.

You don't expect to master Smash Bros games in an hour do you?

Top Bottom