• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer In-Sync? (Update: Not really)

Unison

Hijack update:

This is from the Double Helix forums in the Killer Intsinct Bug Reporting Thread.

MULTIPLAYER DESYNCHRONIZATION:
User States: It seems like players in an exhibition match will desynchronize after a certain amount of rematches. The opposing player from either side will appear to not do anything and once the round is finished the lobby will close.
User States: Desynch is causing both players to see a victory screen from they're perspective. Thus, giving the illusion to a player that he won the match.

In short, nothing to see here, beyond an infrequent occurrence of a match disconnect. Put down the torches and go home, people.

Original OP below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkMw3G18C4E

What the heck....

The game apparently deysncs and puts you against AI at times, which is why the netcode seems so smooth.

What a joke this is.

Have other games done this or is this a new low?

Better bring in the fight-atars.

vulva

The craziest part is how you can see it resync at times mid match, then desync. At times you can see the characters doing the same moves in different screen positions.

NeoGash

OMG, this is M. Night Shyamalan levels of crazy. WHAT A TWIST!!! I'm grabbing the popcorn.

thisgunbegood.gif

Haha. I love how the guy is getting so happy, but basically the whole time he was beating a bot....hahaha. OMG this is too good. This is like two alternate realities colliding, this is the Twilight Zone!

Killer Instinct still looks awesome, but I don't think I want to play it now. Imagine getting a rage message from a guy with him saying how he whipped your ass, even though on your side you beat him? So good.

tehPete

Banned
This is a game-breaker no matter which way you slice it. Nice to see the videos side by side; are there any known instances of this occurring in any other online beat-em-up?

Kyon

Banned
Help

Me

sad.gif

Alfredo

Doesn't look like it actually puts you against an AI (which would be insane if true) because the inputs look the same, but that is definitely a desync issue that doesn't make it very clear to either player...

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
That's crazy, there were like 3 instances where it synced back up but the health is so different in each fight.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
The craziest part is how you can see it resync at times mid match, then desync. At times you can see the characters doing the same moves in different screen positions.
Just noticed that, holy shit. This is amazing, lol.

danmaku

I can't watch the video from work, but can't this be just an effect of the rollback? If the game is lagging badly, it's normal to see characters teleporting or repeating moves, as the netcode tries to keep the sync.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I can't watch the video from work, but can't this be just an effect of the rollback? If the game is lagging badly, it's normal to see characters teleporting or repeating moves, as the netcode tries to keep the sync.

The matches became different matches lol. Only approximation to an extent, a match to who beats who first it seems.

Hypron

No the characters don't teleport, they just carry on fighting but what's happening on screen is completely different. It almost looks like one of the characters is replaced by an AI or something until the game can re-sync. Really weird.

Mystery

It's not teleporting characters. The game goes in two totally different directions for each player. Hits get registered differently, and one player is winning on his screen, and the other is winning on his respective screen.

It's unacceptable, especially in a fighting game.

Unison

The matches became different matches lol. Only approximation to an extent, a match to who beats who first it seems.

This... they arent even playing against each other past a point... the life bars arent even synced... the match just stops for one player when the other player's game has a lifebar hit zero.

Leezard

It's not teleporting characters. The game goes in two totally different directions for each player. Hits get registered differently, and one player is winning on his screen, and the other is winning on his respective screen.

It's unacceptable, especially in a fighting game.

Everybody wins! A new type of fighting game for a new generation.

Toxi

Banned
Fucking awful if true. Double Helix should be ashamed of themselves for A) not informing the consumer, and B) tarnishing the good name of GGPO.

... the life bars arent even synced... the match just stops for one player when the other player's game has a lifebar hit zero.

yeah, and at this point the video makes no sense. What happens with the upper player? The game just stops? Or maybe he wins anyway? How does it work?

Anyway, the video seems legit. This is crazy.

So that's the same match between the same people, yet it plays out completely differently on each side?

Wow, lol. That is hilarious.

mollipen

This is... I mean, I've watched it once, but my brain is having trouble wrapping itself around what is going on. If this is totally legit, that's not just a few errors in syncing up, that's game-breaking stuff going on.

If you can't have any faith in what is going on on the other person's screen in the exact same fight, how can you play this to any serious level?

As a casual fighting game player, this is actually a good thing. Keeps the flow of matches going and allows you to keep practising. Nothing is more annoying than looking at disconnect screen.

This kills it as a competitive fighter though.

sonicmj1

It's more like, there's a desync somewhere, and the game never bothers to match things up. All the player's inputs register on their screen, and there's no apparent lag, but their opponents moves are coming out in inappropriate situations because they're responding to a completely different game-state.

vulva

best approximation I can do for those who can't watch the video

edit: I guess dropbox didn't like the bandwidth

Ken

It's more like, there's a desync somewhere, and the game never bothers to match things up. All the player's inputs register on their screen, and there's no apparent lag, but their opponents moves are coming out in inappropriate situations because they're responding to a completely different game-state.

Watching the video that kinda looks like it.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2

Fuck

lol

Sinfamy

WHAT? You get placed against the A.I. sometimes? How are people not lighting their torches right now?

Nymerio

Man, I remember when I was playing Excitebike as a kid and I couldn't understand that my NES was controlling the other bikes. I always thought all the other racers where other people around to world who were playing the game. This is the exact opposite, you think you're playing multiplayer but you're actually playing against the AI. Next level gaming.

Top Bottom