• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct on W10 framerate tied to monitor refresh - with 144hz it's unplayable

That's what I was thinking too, unless all other UWP games also run at higher speed on 144Hz monitors... The game would probably have had the same issue if it was released as a regular PC software.

Although, if it wasn't a UWP, people could already fix it with RTSS.

nynt9

Given that this technical issue appears to affect only those with high-refresh monitors, one does wonder if the testing team didn't have any such monitors...

Possibly, though tying game logic to monitor refresh is a horrible idea regardless of whether you have a 120hz monitor or not.

LordCiego

Its funny how Microsoft have a certification process for getting games approved on their consoles but the barely do any quality control for games that are supposed to be the flagship in their PC strategy like Gears of War and Killer Instict, or getting thir flagship DX12 title Fable Legends cancelled.

But they care for PC this time! For real guys!

Ferrio

Banned
So wait are people freaking out cause they can't run a fighting game at 144 fps? They're tied to 60, always have been.

TheYanger

I think you're missing the point about why people are reacting this way. It's not about this game. It's not about this issue. It's about history and a decade of broken promises. What people see is a trend. Exclusive marketplaces, game after game with numerous issues. This problem might be fixed within the week. The real trouble is that if this exists as a headline, it reinforces that Microsoft has failed yet again to deliver at even a competent level on PC.

Except that that isn't the case at all. It's a game where logic is tied to framerate and they didn't limit the framerate. They patch it within the week and it's fixed. Literally nothing to do with anything else. There have been tons of games that have nothing to do with MS or UWP that have had similar issues in the past.

nynt9

So wait are people freaking out cause they can't run a fighting game at 144 fps? They're tied to 60, always have been.

Then maybe the developers should have actually locked the game to 60 instead of setting it to the monitor refresh rate. No one is "trying" to run the game at a certain FPS.

Alx

Although, if it wasn't a UWP, people could already fix it with RTSS.

It would also give the developers an excuse for not fixing a defect/oversight in their software... It's their duty to make it work on such systems, as much as PC gamers seem to love tinkering with their games. The forced wait for a patch is a con, but the added pressure on the devs is a pro.

Schnauzer

Update: I am now running the game at 4K instead of 1080p and it's now running fine. Look like the game does 4K fine.

Question: Is there an HDMI 2.0 hz limit at 4k?

danmaku

Possibly, though tying game logic to monitor refresh is a horrible idea regardless of whether you have a 120hz monitor or not.

The funny thing is, the X1 version runs at 90 fps (game logic) and displays 60 fps to make the online smoother. I wonder what's happening in the PC version.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Wow, what an entitled little..

"The game is broken and unplayable! I'm not going to use a simple fix like Setting my refresh rate down before I decide to play ( A process that takes less than 30 seconds ), I'm going to tell the devs to get fucked instead!"

Whatever happened to "Animations seem to be tied to the framerate at 60fps, please work on a fix for this issue for players with high refresh rate monitors."

Gods, And he's a fur, too... People like him that fuck it up for the rest of us.

/rant

What a fucking post. You should ask your mom to print it and hang it on the fridge.

Its funny how Microsoft have a certification process for getting games approved on their consoles but the barely do any quality control for games that are supposed to be the flagship in their PC strategy like Gears of War and Killer Instict, or getting thir flagship DX12 title Fable Legends cancelled.

But they care for PC this time! For real guys!

:lol for real. If I had to bet my life against Peter Molyenux making good on his promises vs Microsoft's PC gaming commitment, I'd go with Molyneux.

aaaaa0

It's a fighting game. Frame counting @ 60 fps is kind of fundamental to the whole genre.

They'll patch a frame rate limiter into it, and that will be that.

Krejlooc

Banned
It would also give the developers an excuse for not fixing a defect/oversight in their software... It's their duty to make it work on such systems, as much as PC gamers seem to love tinkering with their games. The forced wait for a patch is a con, but the added pressure on the devs is a pro.

Not to the end user. Who cares where the solution comes from?

Bsigg12

Issue like this is why I won't purchase quantum break on windows store unless it's in steam

Huh? One weird little thing that is being fixed and is specific to Killer Instinct is what is going to keep you from buying Quantam Break? Forget the great port overall that Killer Instinct is from the ground up on PC, just the weird frame rate tied to monitor refresh is what is stopping you.

The thing is, serious developpers do it in any case. But in the case of UWA... you have to wait. In any other case, people would already enjoy it.

Not all monitors - cheaper Korean panels often lack options. Also some monitors, like the comment above yours says, have 30hz max.

This is hyperbole dude, it takes about 3 seconds to change the refresh rate in Win10. As for the dude above, all he'd have to do to play, is lower his resolution to 1440p, and raise the refresh rate to 60hz.

If you could honestly show me a single monitor in this day and age that doesn't at least support 1080p at 60hz, I'd be really surprised.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Sadly, no printer. :)

Just for the record, I gotta admit that at first I thought you were harping on him for being a furry but I quickly realised you were one yourself, but still, it's not being entitled to expect a game to work properly when you play it.

Shirakani

Banned
If the game doesn't sell well that's the end of the franchise, it will become dead again for who knows how many years.

Then by that argument it was dead at birth. People were not going to buy an xbone just to support it, not for one game.

KI still remains the only game on the bone I want, but I will not have it under these conditions (UWP). I do not consent to their EULA, I will not use their store, simple.

If they want the IP to live, it will eventually have to go to Steam, Desura, GOG, etc as a Win32 app. If it doesn't, then it dies as an unfortunate casualty of M$ corporate greed.

cripterion

You tear a hole in the space time continuum.

Lol. Post in the OT and maybe you'll get an answer there.

Sure. Just one simple : "Yeah they put cinematics in" would have done it.
I just felt the game was big for what it is, usually fighters take about 8GB and even Naruto Full Burst 3 is not that big.

In any case, not a big deal lol

It does have a lot of intricate stages, I'm sure that adds up, and a bunch of high quality music. But no, Im not sure why it would be so big.

Yeah odd isn't it?

Anyways, I wanted to get this on pc to benefit from increased res, wasn't expecting major problems again, didn't the recent stream show 4K at 60fps on a 980ti?

Caayn

Huh? One weird little thing that is being fixed and is specific to Killer Instinct is what is going to keep you from buying Quantam Break? Forget the great port overall that Killer Instinct is from the ground up on PC, just the weird frame rate tied to monitor refresh is what is stopping you.
UWP does all kinds of crazy to people. One small mistake, which isn't that uncommon for this genre, and people act as if the earth is getting destroyed.

Mechazawa

This is going to undoubtedly get fixed. If people want something to complain about, it should be about stuff which no one's talking about and IG hasn't acknowledged, like the fact that it's literally impossible to change the sound settings from the Windows volume mixer and is presumably an actual side effect of UWP.

Or the complete lack of dinput. Why do Capcom and Iron Galaxy hate me.

Since the game logic is tied to refresh rate (stop doing this developers it never ends well), wouldn't the online just break as well?

They've claimed in the past that the Xbox version actually runs around 90~ FPS(locked to 60 obviously) for the sake of the netcode, so tying the game speed to the framerate seems to actually be for the benefit of the gameplay. SFV, another game will rollback netcode, seems to tie it's framerate to game speed too.
What happens when someone with a 144hz monitor play online against someone with a 60hz monitor?

The game warps around and drops frames everywhere. It's funny because that's exactly what happens in SFV when your framerate is too low and is presumably why KI requires you to meet the bare minimum 60fps threshold for Ranked play. Except the issue seems to pop up in the inverse as well.

Bsigg12

Then by that argument it was dead at birth. People were not going to buy an xbone just to support it, not for one game.

KI still remains the only game on the bone I want, but I will not have it under these conditions (UWP). I do not consent to their EULA, I will not use their store, simple.

If they want the IP to live, it will eventually have to go to Steam, Desura, GOG, etc as a Win32 app. If it doesn't, then it dies as an unfortunate casualty of M$ corporate greed.

Did you buy Battlefront, or Battlefield for that matter? Are you going to play Mass Effect Andromeda or any EA Game?

Every launch is even worse than the previous.

Can't wait for the QB shaennigans.

Not in the slightest. This is arguably the best game to come to the UWP yet and they continue to get better with each release offering more options with each game. This is all likelihood is just an oversight, which is already in the process if being addressed.

I am still hoping that sales flop so horribly that they will be forced to put it on Steam.

The game is NOT a DX12 game, it runs on DX11, so there is no reason it shouldn't be outside of the Win10 store outside of MS attempt to force ppl to go there.

As much as I want this game, I will NOT buy, I will NOT give in.... Dark Souls 3 is coming, it will suck up MUCHES of my limited time...

Yay for wanting a game to flop .....

Killer Instinct Turbo Hyper-Fighting is real.

It's amazing how every UWP/UWA game launch has been a clusterfuck. MS are truly the masters of machine-gunning their own feet in everything they do.

Shirakani

Banned
Yay for wanting a game to flop .....

Something has to give, and consumers have been too willing to give up rights and freedoms for far too long.

Giving in to UWP's restrictions just for a game is once again being penny wise and pound foolish.

Better an unfortunate casualty or two suffered to destroy an unfavorable platform that shits all over consumer rights than to allow it to gain traction. I feel bad for the game, I want the game, but I don't want it so badly that I'm willing to throw away my rights for it.

I do not, and will not ever consent to their EULA. Ever.

ultimota

the 120-144hz sucks but why would any pc gamer pick 4k with 30hz over a lower rez with at least 60?

the actual issue itself sucks but i doubt it will take long to fix (until then just tweak your monitor settings) people turning this into an anti Microsoft/UWP/UWA thread need to just stop =_=

Just for the record, I gotta admit that at first I thought you were harping on him for being a furry but I quickly realised you were one yourself, but still, it's not being entitled to expect a game to work properly when you play it.

Like I said, I'm not against the fact that he's complaining, i'm pissed that he acts like a little shit while doing so.

but anyway, i've said my thing.

Vuze

Jesus, some people in here actually defending this lol. It's almost like this game was developed by koei tecmo ayyyy

Seriously though, it should be a trivial fix. But considering how 'dedicated' to PC gaming MS presents themselves, it's incredibly funny how they didn't think about High Refresh monitors which have been a thing for several years in the enthusiast range.

Doukou

The game has been out for three years what makes you think it will die?

Caayn

Something has to give, and consumers have been too willing to give up rights and freedoms for far too long.

Giving in to UWP's restrictions just for a game is once again being penny wise and pound foolish.

Better an unfortunate casualty or two suffered to destroy an unfavorable platform that shits all over consumer rights than to allow it to gain traction. I feel bad for the game, I want the game, but I don't want it so badly that I'm willing to throw away my rights for it.

Consumer rights? So I take it that all your PC games come from GoG?

Killer Instinct Turbo Hyper-Fighting is real.

It's amazing how every UWP/UWA game launch has been a clusterfuck. MS are truly the masters of machine-gunning their own feet in everything they do.

Clusterfuck? Nope. KI is nowhere near that. I'd chalk this up to oversight. Likely "never tested on HRR monitors", of which most people don't have.

For the "most other people" the game is technically sound.

lol

If you say so brave soldier. Enjoy never playing KI at any refresh rate, you should go into the OT from time to time and see the fun and enjoyment people are having with the game just to make yourself more determined!

Top Bottom