• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct on W10 framerate tied to monitor refresh - with 144hz it's unplayable

nynt9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ehk25k5QUh0

The video demonstrates it. The game is effectively unplayable, it's way too fast. Seems like the developers haven't tested it with different configs or Win10 UWP stuff is broken (the reason isn't confirmed, this is my speculation).

This is unacceptable, especially for a fighting game.

Same thing happened to me although the opposite. Game runs at half speed. 4k (30hz) display. I hope this gets fixed.

Edit: seems the devs are aware of the situation and have said a fix is on the way. Also, for clarification, while this issue might not have to do with UWP, UWP means that some programs (but not all) used to limit framerate don't work. And you can't create a custom profile for it in Nvidia manager to enforce this because UWP games for some reason aren't recognized, according to a poster here. So you would have to disable 144hz manually every time you launch the game and reenable it afterwards. The problem is solvable with a quick fix, but it shouldn't have been a problem at all, and it would be solvable a lot easier if it were a regular Windows application.

edit 2:
You can set framerate limiter for specific profile.......and there is a profile for Killer Instinct already.

nlU8rsd.png

Boooom, problem solved! At least on Nvidia hardware.
(of course, ideally a patch is better)

Ferrio

Banned
It sucks that they didn't put a frame cap in, but whatever it's easy enough to switch the monitor to 60hz.

PSGames

Same thing happened to me although the opposite. Game runs at half speed. 4k (30hz) display. I hope this gets fixed.

I can't download the free version of the game to try it out. I login to the Microsoft store but the button is still darkened out. I have the most recent Win10 updates and my specs are above the recommended settings. I have read other people are having this problem, so the launch isn't going so smoothly at the moment.

LewieP

With regards to gaming, UWP is currently not fit for purpose.

How can Microsoft expect anyone to take their new platform seriously when every game they ship using it have far more issues than the vast majority of PC releases using Win32?

These kind of issues would not be occurring if Microsoft had consulted with a variety of game developers familiar with PC gaming, and with customers, for what kind of features and functionality they expect as a bare minimum, and designed UWP around that. Instead they designed UWP with a narrow focus on their broader corporate strategy outside of gaming (which clearly they are within their rights to do), and as such it's not really going to work for gaming, outside of a small portion of the market begrudgingly accepting it for a handful of UWP exclusive titles (which will only exist if and when MS are footing the bill).

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
UWP is a mess

Figments

lmao.

yet another mess. As expected.

This UWP launch sure is smooth.

These new Windows 10 games just keep on delivering.

Well that didn't take long.

So far, this is literally the only problem I've seen with the game's performance. And it's a problem that can be fixed relatively quickly with fiddling with your monitor refresh rate and/or Iron Galaxy getting a frame-limiter patch out.

This ain't Gears all over again.

nynt9

So far, this is literally the only problem I've seen with the game's performance. And it's a problem that can be fixed relatively quickly with fiddling with your monitor refresh rate and/or Iron Galaxy getting a frame-limiter patch out.

Tell that to people who have 30hz monitors, which is a decent amount of early 4k monitors.

netBuff

It sucks that they didn't put a frame cap in, but whatever it's easy enough to switch the monitor to 60hz.

It's a huge annoyance. And with every other game, it's very easy to cap the framerate using Rivatuner to alleviate such an issue - but not with UWP titles.

FyreWulff

the timing bug is hilarious on higher refresh (a holdover from primarily console dev), but I'm not exactly sure how one expects to play a game intended to be controlled at 60hz on a 30hz monitor. Even if it ran correctly you're going to be at a disadvantage.

Krejlooc

Banned

pdb999n.png

Lazaro

This has been an issue for some Windows Store games since Windows 8, Rayman Jungle Run does the exact behaviour if played at refresh rates above 60hz.

The workaround is simple though, just set the monitors refresh rate to 60Hz from the Nvidia or AMD control panel.

But I hope the issue gets fixed soon. I have a 120Hz laptop screen and I shouldn't have to switch my refresh rates between games, it's fucking annoying.

It's like those prehistoric IBM PC games from the 80s which were tied to processor's clock speed.

By the way, I wonder what will happen if we connect a CRT monitor to the PC - 100 Hz was basically a minimal refresh rate for a comfortable usage.

23qwerty

the timing bug is hilarious on higher refresh (a holdover from primarily console dev), but I'm not exactly sure how one expects to play a game intended to be controlled at 60hz on a 30hz monitor. Even if it ran correctly you're going to be at a disadvantage.

What monitors are 30hz?

This has been an issue for some Windows Store games since Windows 8, Rayman Jungle Run does the exact behaviour if played at refresh rates above 60hz.

The workaround is simple though, just set the monitors refresh rate to 60Hz from the Nvidia or AMD control panel.

But I hope the issue gets fixed soon. I have a 120Hz laptop screen and I shouldn't have to switch my refresh rates between games, it's fucking annoying.

sounds like a simple fix indeed.

Regarding your problem, couldn't you just make a special profile for each games from the video card control panel?

Wow, what an entitled little..

"The game is broken and unplayable! I'm not going to use a simple fix like Setting my refresh rate down before I decide to play ( A process that takes less than 30 seconds ), I'm going to tell the devs to get fucked instead!"

Whatever happened to "Animations seem to be tied to the framerate at 60fps, please work on a fix for this issue for players with high refresh rate monitors."

Gods, And he's a fur, too... People like him that fuck it up for the rest of us.

/rant

23qwerty

First gen 4k monitors.

"Just cap your refresh speed externally, it's fine!" isn't a solution. It's a workaround. The game is broken, and shouldn't require third party tools to become playable.

Ohhhh right, forgot about those

"The game is broken and unplayable! I'm not going to use a simple fix like locking my framerate to 60fps in Afterburner or setting my nvidia settings to set the monitor refresh to 60hz when the game is running, I'm going to tell the devs to get fucked instead!"

Whatever happened to "Animations seem to be tied to the framerate at 60fps, please work on a fix for this issue for players with high refresh rate monitors."

Gods, And he's a fur, too... People like him that fuck it up for the rest of us.

/rant

Uhhhhhh the issue is you shouldn't HAVE to do that

"The game is broken and unplayable! I'm not going to use a simple fix like locking my framerate to 60fps in Afterburner or setting my nvidia settings to set the monitor refresh to 60hz when the game is running, I'm going to tell the devs to get fucked instead!"

/rant
Being nice doesn't work when talking to Microsoft, they only understand the loudest bitching possible. Even then they still don't get it.

See: their entire approach to PC gaming.

Hektor

/rant

How dares someone to feel entitled to an out of the box working game.

GrizzNKev

Banned

/rant

So he's entitled because a game that only works at one framerate (which is completely fine) hasn't been locked to that framerate by the developers? It's a hilarious, basic oversight. Come on.

Figments

Tell that to people who have 30hz monitors, which is a decent amount of early 4k monitors.

That's why I said "and/or IG gets a patch out".

Unless UWP's been confirmed for having shitfits with 30Hz monitors, and I'm saying that now knowing there's a 50/50 chance of me feeling stupid for saying it in, oh, five minutes.

Animations tied to a 60Hz refresh rate is completely broken, now?

def sim

Yeah, there absolutely should have been a cap considering the nature of UWP. I saw some developers posting in the OT, but didn't catch if they've commented on this particular issue.

derFeef

First gen 4k monitors.

"Just cap your refresh speed externally, it's fine!" isn't a solution. It's a workaround. The game is broken, and shouldn't require third party tools to become playable.

That's why it will get a patch

Yeah, there absolutely should have been a cap considering the nature of UWP. I saw some developers posting in the OT, but didn't catch if they've commented on this particular issue.

thy did, on twitter also.

Top Bottom