• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Killzone 2 Demo up on EU PSN Store now

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Sep 13, 2005
10,327
0
0
Totobeni said:
NO , a lot of people may/will get satisfied if it was big Demo full of feature and then won't buy the Game .
Nah, I don't think so. First off, I don't think playing 20-30 minutes is gonna make people tired of this game in comparison to 10-15. On top of that, the controls needs some getting used to, so a little more time to get adjusted to them (by adding 15 minutes of gameplay) would leave a better impression on someone who only plays through the demo once.
 
Mar 4, 2006
3,732
0
0
That was short and... standard. Not an amazingly exciting demonstration of the game, which is understandable as it is a tutorial essentially.
 

Nemesis_

Member
Dec 18, 2005
22,188
0
1,260
Australia
Brilliant graphics. Still gotta work out which control scheme is best for me (since I cannot stand the original default.)
 
N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck my University accommodation and not allowing me to access PSN
 

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Jun 6, 2004
74,323
3
0
What a disappointing demo. Short level, very unsatisfying other than blowing up a bridge, you can't even change the friggin difficulty...what the hell is that crap? If Killzone 2 is really a 5 out of 5 game, they sure picked the wrong level to demo it. It did nothing for me.

And why can't I change the difficulty instead of playing it on "Don't Hurt Me" difficulty? Stupid, stupid, stupid.
 

Psychotext

Member
Jun 15, 2007
35,934
0
0
Good lord that was short... damn. I spent longer downloading it than playing it. I really, really wish I could change the FOV too. It's like the main char has no arms with just a gun sticking out. :lol

Still, all quite impressive. I really like the effects, and especially the way the enemies move.
 

Won

Member
Aug 31, 2006
8,757
0
0
Austria
After playing through the demo twice:

Looks great and after adjusting the sensitivity it even plays decently enough. Only thing that bothered me was the cover system.

And why is the demo so damn short? Would love to play a bit more before I make a decision on a purchase.
 

Truant

Member
Apr 23, 2007
12,312
3
0
Won said:
After playing through the demo twice:

Looks great and after adjusting the sensitivity it even plays decently enough. Only thing that bothered me was the cover system.

And why is the demo so damn short? Would love to play a bit more before I make a decision on a purchase.
I'm still getting it, but I was left a little underwhelmed. Just before I got a hang of it, it ended. There should have been five more minutes of shooting, in my opinion. Graphics look amazing, though.
 

spwolf

Member
Feb 15, 2007
16,283
0
0
Truant said:
I'm still getting it, but I was left a little underwhelmed. Just before I got a hang of it, it ended. There should have been five more minutes of shooting, in my opinion. Graphics look amazing, though.
i think the whole idea was to left you wanting :)
 

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
Apr 25, 2007
1,014
0
950
Anyone else have what feels like a 500ms delay on your inputs? Looks gorgeous, but man these controls are near unplayable.

Also, thanks for ending the demo right as I felt like maybe I was getting a handle on the controls :(
 
Jan 8, 2008
1,792
0
890
Toronto
Downloading. Finally an excuse to muddy up my users list.

I feel sorry for the people that probably overpaid for the game at Gamestop to get access to it, though.
 

Lince

Banned
Dec 7, 2005
4,813
0
0
33
Granada, Andalusia / SPAIN
played 5 times, already my fav fps

- looks ace, better than anything out there in consoles, can't see my decent PC doing this
- frame rate, do what you want, it never drops
- audio is better than graphics, my 5.1 headphones are crying sweet tears of love and joy
- cover system is simply designed for me, I loved FEAR "lean system" so what can I say
- AI is so-so, but hey the demo is easy mode all the way
- guns feel real, weight, recoil, feedback, amazing and satisfying
- PS3 vindicated, I never will doubt you again.
 

PuppetSlave

Member
May 11, 2006
5,142
0
0
Sweden
Finally it's downloaded. Installing now. But the hype has been pretty much killed by reading this thread. Probably a good thing.
 

Tailzo

Member
Feb 6, 2007
4,893
0
905
Norway
Well, I played through the demo. It plays like I would expect from a shooter, and I am not very good at it as usual. The visuals are very good, and most of all the lightning and smoke are of higher quality than what I've seen before.

The dialogue was bad, even for a game. "This is ****ed up!". Uh, I just didn't care about the story at all. I guess yopu shouldn't listen to a non fps player like me. For what it's worth, I did enjoy this demo more than the re5 demo, where I even had trouble controlling the character. It's more natural and fluid in Killzone 2.

Again, I hardly play any shooters, so don't mind me. I do try to test out all the demoes I can anyway though.
 

dejan

Member
Nov 13, 2006
2,565
0
890
Just finished my second playthrough. Presentation is great and that's about it. Really hate the sluggish controls.
 
Jan 8, 2008
1,792
0
890
Toronto
Downloaded just in time to have to attend a business meeting... I'm kind of surprised about the feedback so far, I'm dying to get my own impressions.
 

Core407

Banned
Apr 16, 2006
9,410
0
0
33
Connecticut, USA
dejan said:
Just finished my second playthrough. Presentation is great and that's about it. Really hate the sluggish controls.
It seems different from the MP beta. I don't know what it is, maybe it's because its SP. They could have adjusted the movement speed and similar aspects for the SP.
 
Dec 17, 2006
15,950
1
0
Played through it once.
I liked it but didn't love it.
Controls take a lot of getting used to. In particular, I can't stand clicking the left stick to sprint. I know CoD4 and WaW had it but I don't like it.
Pretty vanilla level for a demo other than that.. it looks beautiful and is a lot of fun.
 

PnCIa

Member
Nov 26, 2005
2,773
0
1,115
Germany
dejan said:
Just finished my second playthrough. Presentation is great and that's about it. Really hate the sluggish controls.
It seems that the slight "lag" is intended, they haven´t changed that since the Games Convention demo...back then i thought this happens because the framerate wasn´t that steady. The more i play the more i´m getting used to it, while it kinda flows with the overall more realistic (and therefore slightly indirect) walking feeling, i wish the game would do what i want instantly.
 

H_Prestige

Banned
Aug 2, 2008
15,476
0
0
Does anyone see any difference between 720p and 1080p output? I'm not sure if my eyes are playing tricks on me.

But the game is amazing. Graphics are mouthwatering. I have no problem with standard 1 controls since this is my first fps, but the only thing that bothers me is running feels awkward with L3.
 

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Mar 10, 2005
19,206
0
1,490
DevelopmentArrested said:
Controls take a lot of getting used to. In particular, I can't stand clicking the left stick to sprint. I know CoD4 and WaW had it but I don't like it.
same here. i absolutely hate push stick to sprint. sucks that there's no alternative here :(
 

Core407

Banned
Apr 16, 2006
9,410
0
0
33
Connecticut, USA
Darunia said:
same here. i absolutely hate push stick to sprint. sucks that there's no alternative here :(
You only have to keep it down though, you hold up, click, and keep holding up and he'll keep running. It's not like you have to hold the L3 button down.
 

Mrbob

Member
Jun 7, 2004
63,747
2
0
Toggle sprint? Good. All games should toggle sprint and crouch if they are required to use on the sticks.
 

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Mar 10, 2005
19,206
0
1,490
Core407 said:
You only have to keep it down though, you hold up, click, and keep holding up and he'll keep running. It's not like you have to hold the L3 button down.
I just discovered this while playing through the demo again. makes a huge difference indeed :)
 
Jan 8, 2008
1,792
0
890
Toronto
Something needs to be done about the very strange feeling of disconnection between what's happening on screen and your input. It feels like an out of body experience, or perhaps what Ratatouille felt like in Linguine's hat.

Absolutely stunning apart from that though. Really shows off some of that "untapped potential" we've all been hearing about.

Also, the dialog is Gears of War retarded. I feel slightly dumber after experiencing it.
 

polyh3dron

Banned
Jan 14, 2007
41,968
2
0
Los Angeles, CA
cyberheater said:
Can you Americans kindly bugger off and allow us Europeans to download the demo unencumbered by your bandwidth stealing.

Thanks for your understanding...
You can thank GameStop for diverting American traffic to your shores.
 

Treo360

Member
Mar 10, 2006
4,515
0
0
NJ
ScrabbleBanshee said:
Something needs to be done about the very strange feeling of disconnection between what's happening on screen and your input. It feels like an out of body experience, or perhaps what Ratatouille felt like in Linguine's hat.

Absolutely stunning apart from that though. Really shows off some of that "untapped potential" we've all been hearing about.

Also, the dialog is Gears of War retarded. I feel slightly dumber after experiencing it.

The controls are the reason why I cancelled the pre-order, it's just not any fun for me.