• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 2 Demo up on EU PSN Store now

ScrabbleBanshee said:
Something needs to be done about the very strange feeling of disconnection between what's happening on screen and your input. It feels like an out of body experience, or perhaps what Ratatouille felt like in Linguine's hat.
HEY HEY HEY WAIT HOLD ON A SECOND

That was WAY out of line.

The rat's name isn't Ratatouille, it's Remy. He SERVES a DISH called Ratatouille.

Nizz

DKo5 said:
Anyone else have what feels like a 500ms delay on your inputs? Looks gorgeous, but man these controls are near unplayable.

Also, thanks for ending the demo right as I felt like maybe I was getting a handle on the controls :(
Have you tried tweaking the sensitivity? I adjusted the horizontal sensitivity up two notches in the beta and I was comfortable with it. I'm downloading the demo right now and I've heard the controls seem to feel a little "heavier" than the beta. I'll know for sure as soon as the demo finishes d/loading (sorry Europe) ;)

spwolf

fps fanatic said:
Have you tried tweaking the sensitivity? I adjusted the horizontal sensitivity up two notches in the beta and I was comfortable with it. I'm downloading the demo right now and I've heard the controls seem to feel a little "heavier" than the beta. I'll know for sure as soon as the demo finishes d/loading (sorry Europe) ;)

i never felt like there was delay, just that you are an soldier with 80kg of kit on you and you cant move as if you are naked... you can adjust the controls of course but it will never feel like in COD where you are basically dancing all the time, regardless.

TheExodu5

Banned
Yeah there's definitely some input lag. It can even be felt on the menu. You'll notice that when you try to go up/down in the menu, there's a slight delay before it actually does it.

Loved the beta. havnt got a hold of the demo yet though, but from what ive played, I like the weight of the character, the clunkiness, feels realistic.

Feels like a man game, sorry sissy boys.

spwolf said:
i never felt like there was delay, just that you are an soldier with 80kg of kit on you and you cant move as if you are naked... you can adjust the controls of course but it will never feel like in COD where you are basically dancing all the time, regardless.

Putting your body into motion to move from one place to the other should indeed be heavily influenced by the weight you are carrying. Aiming shouldn't really be impacted though.

Guerilla should keep the realistic feeling of weight but improve the aiming sensitivity around the dead zone. It would only heighten the realistic feel of the controls.

RobbieNick

Downloading demo now.

LOL!! This is what you Brits get for making the Amiga and Master System live longer than they deserved.:lol

Gowans

I've just had my first play though and definitely passed the bar Dead Space set for console games I think. I'm enjoying it but struggling with the controls. I have the CoD4 control setup (Alt4) but I think its just the DS3 with the loose sticks, large dead zones and layout that is really a struggle for this game to feel as tight as I think it should.

Really good but the little amount of disconnect I'm feeling is hurting more because the rest seems so well done.

Odrion

Banned
okay can someone tell me why there are all these FPSers that have this sort of fucked up aiming?

Didn't Turok and PDZ suffer from this too?

Danielsan

Ok holy shit.
I'm so going to play this game without any hud elements (no crosshair either).
I played through the demo 3 times now but playing it without the HUD is like playing a completely different game. It's so good. :D

Ooh and the standard controls are great. They totally clicked with me after 15 minutes of playing.

I'm using Alternate 2 (most like cod4) and zoom hold on.
Left the sensitivity at default.

Absolutely love the controls and weight in the character, the controls clicked with me straight away, there was no learning curve.
Cover works exactly how I wished it to, and the graphics! :D

If the DS3 has dead zones, I can't feel any here.

Crisis

Banned
Francias Castiglione said:
Fuck off America!

When the Europeans invaded our store for the entire summer 2008 we stood there and took it. When the Europeans downloaded OUR demos using OUR bandwidth and our addresses we stood there and took it. Not today. Today is a day of vengeance and retribution. Today is the day that we take back what is rightfully ours. Today all Europe will know that Killzone 2 demo belongs to the Americans!

RobbieNick

Crisis said:
When the Europeans invaded our store for the entire summer 2008 we stood there and took it. When the Europeans downloaded OUR demos using OUR bandwidth and our addresses we stood there and took it. Not today. Today is a day of vengeance and retribution. Today is the day that we take back what is rightfully ours. Today all Europe will know that Killzone 2 demo belongs to the Americans!
wwf6.jpg

USA! USA! USA!

Mileena

Banned
Crisis said:
I love you.

LaneDS

Just got done with the demo, wanted to love it but I think I'm really just FPS'd out, although the multiplayer sounds interesting enough where I still might pick it up if word of mouth is good.

Will try it again later tonight and see if it grows on me, it just seemed a little too straightforward (not inherently a bad thing) and I'm not a big fan of having to use cover so often. I'm old apparently.

Just got done playing through the demo twice, once with HUD, once without.

First off: Game looks so much better on my TV than videos
Second off: Hell yes at the music. Sound awesome on my surround sound.
Third off: Fuck yes at the gameplay. Everything just feels right. Nothing really new, but I still love it.
Fourth off: I am Kobe Bryant with grenades.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Danielsan said:
Ok holy shit.
I'm so going to play this game without any hud elements (no crosshair either).
I played through the demo 3 times now but playing it without the HUD is like playing a completely different game. It's so good. :D

Ooh and the standard controls are great. They totally clicked with me after 15 minutes of playing.
What's the big difference exactly? I tried playing with no HUD, and it looks the same as with HUD, unless you're shooting. While you're shooting, there's an ammo counter, but soon after you stop, it disappears. I was always going by the sound of the gun to know when to reload (great little detail btw) so I never paid much attention to HUD anyways.

Banned
Ok, played more. I thought the controls would grow on me but they are just off. I dont care if it is realistic but the gun movement doesnt feel right to me. Fired up WaW to see if I was having an off day. No, WaW felt so much better. Going to log more time with KZ2 and see if it gets better.

Up until now I thought only Halo got grenade throwing on console fps's right, Guerilla Games have nailed it and with awesome cooking. :D

Core407

Banned
BlindMonkey said:
Up until now I thought only Halo got grenade throwing on console fps's right, Guerilla Games have nailed it and with awesome cooking. :D

They completely changed it though, it used to be different in the MP beta. Before you'd see the arm actually throw it and it'd have a bit of a curve to it which made aiming a big imprecise but now he just tosses it directly.

Hixx

BlindMonkey said:

The grenades are my favourite thing about the demo (which for some reason I enjoyed much more with the HUD, Crosshair, subs etc off). They feel perfect.

First time round I was quite relieved because feb/march is going to be expensive and I wasn't really that into the game, but the second time through it just clicked and I loved it.

My wallet will now be even more bare when it comes to the end of March... boo! :(

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
HixxSAFC said:
The grenades are my favourite thing about the demo (which for some reason I enjoyed much more with the HUD, Crosshair, subs etc off). They feel perfect.
Subtitles off are a must. They look pretty tacky, the way they appear like some kind of teleprompter.

Playing in Russian language is also an absolute must. Russian VOs > English VOs. I'm not joking, give it a shot.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The acceleration on the sticks totally makes up for the looseness of the DS3. The default controls are fantastic. KZ2 has sold me on FPS controls on a Dual Shock. Bravo.

Holy fuck, on top of that, it looks and sounds amazing, although shooting the red barrels isn't the height of a thrilling gameplay experience, but I'm confident they'll be more variety later. I've gone from maybe buy, to definite buy.

I can't wait.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Killzone 2...

...stands...

...and delivers.

If it can keep that up, and the MP is as good as beta-ers have said... I see good times.

Now get some headsets ninnies.

Wizman23

Banned
Private Hoffman said:
There's really not a large dead zone at all.

Do you seriously just stalk these threads waiting for someone to say anything negative??

After Sessler called you out I figured it would stop.

Burai

shitonmychest57
I really, really wanted to like it. I really did like it too. Right up to the point where two of us split off and go up in the lift. Two red-eyes talking. I'm going to surprise them with a charged grenade. Missed! But hang on. They're still talking. The scenery around them is destroyed. And they are still standing chatting like nothing happened.

So I clear the room, and we make our way to a deadlocked door. He's going to have to hack it open. And now I've got fuckers rappelling down from the ceiling. "COVER ME!" Awesome.

So I'm sending out suppressing fire, killing a few bad guys in the mean time, trying to hold them back and it seems to be working. They aren't advancing. And then I stop shooting. But they don't come. And he isn't any closer to getting the door open. And they keep throwing grenades at the exact same spot. And then it dawns. In spite of all of it's lovely, epic movie-like presentation it really is still stuck in Metroid Prime-style kill everything to unlock the door style bullshit that we were doing years ago. How long does it take an expert hacker to get a door open? As long as it takes for you to clear a room of bad guys. Could be a minute. Could be seven hours. The narrative and pacing thrown into disarray because the sexy presentation is built on top of Smash TV's creaking old structure.

It's so pretty and so well designed, but I've played this a million times before. It's like saving for and jumping into a Ferrari only to find out it drives the same as the battered old Honda Civic you bought for $200 when you passed your test.

Crisis said:

RobbieNick said:
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j88/the_munson/wwf6.jpg

USA! USA! USA!

:lol :lol I'm literally laughing out loud with these two posts.

Gowans

I got my thoughts together and wrote a little about my experience with the demo.
spammingfireballs.com/?p=176

I really enjoyed in, it nails the immersion (especially when you take off the hud) and the gun play is great, really satisfying when your dropping the red eyes.

Really looking forward to playing the game. I don't know if the multi will be fore me but hopefully the amount of polish & detail will continue in the game along with much more variety in gameplay and environment.

I still have my issues with the controls (& the DuelShock) but I will get use to it, hopefully.

Ranger X

TheExodu5 said:
Yeah there's definitely some input lag. It can even be felt on the menu. You'll notice that when you try to go up/down in the menu, there's a slight delay before it actually does it.

Damn you're not serious!
Is it like FarCry 360 bad? (don't remember the name but the game even needed a patch for responsiveness in multi)

Burai said:
I really, really wanted to like it. I really did like it too. Right up to the point where two of us split off and go up in the lift. Two red-eyes talking. I'm going to surprise them with a charged grenade. Missed! But hang on. They're still talking. The scenery around them is destroyed. And they are still standing chatting like nothing happened.

So I clear the room, and we make our way to a deadlocked door. He's going to have to hack it open. And now I've got fuckers rappelling down from the ceiling. "COVER ME!" Awesome.

So I'm sending out suppressing fire, killing a few bad guys in the mean time, trying to hold them back and it seems to be working. They aren't advancing. And then I stop shooting. But they don't come. And he isn't any closer to getting the door open. And they keep throwing grenades at the exact same spot. And then it dawns. In spite of all of it's lovely, epic movie-like presentation it really is still stuck in Metroid Prime-style kill everything to unlock the door style bullshit that we were doing years ago. How long does it take an expert hacker to get a door open? As long as it takes for you to clear a room of bad guys. Could be a minute. Could be seven hours. The narrative and pacing thrown into disarray because the sexy presentation is built on top of Smash TV's creaking old structure.

It's so pretty and so well designed, but I've played this a million times before. It's like saving for and jumping into a Ferrari only to find out it drives the same as the battered old Honda Civic you bought for $200 when you passed your test.

I can think of a single word that sums up your entire lengthy criticism. :) Not that it isn't invalid.

Gowans007 said:
I got my thoughts together and wrote a little about my experience with the demo.
spammingfireballs.com/?p=176

I really enjoyed in, it nails the immersion (especially when you take off the hud) and the gun play is great, really satisfying when your dropping the red eyes.

Really looking forward to playing the game. I don't know if the multi will be fore me but hopefully the amount of polish & detail will continue in the game along with much more variety in gameplay and environment.

I still have my issues with the controls (& the DuelShock) but I will get use to it, hopefully.
My thoughts exactly.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
my third playthrough was without hud. this is clearly the way it's meant to be played. you wouldn't think it'd make a big difference, but does it ever.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Darunia said:
my third playthrough was without hud. this is clearly the way it's meant to be played. you wouldn't think it'd make a big difference, but does it ever.

++

I'm 95% sure this is how I'll be playing the full game.

DrBo42

The overall feel of the gunplay is great. The standard assault rifle actually feels like a real weapon, and is satisfying to fire. This is what Resistance 1 and 2 got so wrong. Finally an FPS exclusive worth playing on the PS3.

Edit: Why is there no rumble when I take a hit?

RPS37

Exactly what I was expecting, but those two or three encounters weren't nearly as exciting as I expect the full game to get.

Controls are fine. I tried my first playthrough with Alt 2 controls, so that it played more like Ratchet or Uncharted's aiming/shooting, but Nick Suttner was right about crouching and aiming with L1 and L2. Its doesn't feel good.

My second playthrough was with standard 1 controls, toggle zoom, and slightly higher sensitivity. Played even better.

My main gripe would be that it's just too damn short. The climax is like wtf.
Your dude gets the door open, you go to walk outside, the demo ends.

It really should've ended with something shit awesome/graphically impressive/big boss thing or something, instead of: open door, fade to white.

MercuryLS

Banned
DrBo42 said:
The overall feel of the gunplay is great. The standard assault rifle actually feels like a real weapon, and is satisfying to fire. This is what Resistance 1 and 2 got so wrong. Finally an FPS exclusive worth playing on the PS3.

Edit: Why is there no rumble when I take a hit?

Seriously, Resistance 1/2's gunplay was shit, it was just boring using those weapons. Killzone 2, from the vids I've seen, gets it right.

About the try the demo myself, so excited :D

amazing graphics and atmosphere. shame that it feels as if i'm trying to move thru molasses

no amount of fiddling with the sensitivity settings makes it feel just right to me, but i've got it feeling decent enough.

wow, what an awesome demo. the graphics really are jaw dropping. everything was incredibly beautiful and smooth for me. definitely glad i preordered this one.

between the kz2 demo and the halo wars demo, this is an excellent day for gamers :-D

Top Bottom