• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 2 Demo up on EU PSN Store now

Haven't had the opportunity to try it out yet, but seeing as this is the same forum that bitched about RE5's controls I can't say I'm too concerned!

RPS37

WickedLaharl said:
amazing graphics and atmosphere. shame that it feels as if i'm trying to move thru molasses

no amount of fiddling with the sensitivity settings makes it feel just right to me, but i've got it feeling decent enough.

Just pretend that your gun weighs 200 pounds and you're golden.

Kandinsky

I was srsly considering getting this game on the hype alone (i suck at fps games), thank you Sony for giving me this demo, it was nothing special.

DrBo42

RPS37 said:
Just pretend that your gun weighs 200 pounds and you're golden.
I don't understand this complaint. The movement felt fine to me. You're a normal infantryman in combat gear carrying an automatic rifle and a sidearm, you're not Sonic.

It is an awesome looking game but meh'd at the gameplay.. the shooting stuff is overall pretty standard affair nowadays i.e. YOU have to be the one use the rocket launcher, YOU are the only one to advance and mow down most of the foes and YOU are the only one that has to protect his friend while he is doing something else...

The Cover system is awesome though and the gameplay is very standard affair, but the graphics and immersion is immense.

flipping_heck said:
It is an awesome looking game but meh'd at the gameplay.. the shooting stuff is overall pretty standard affair nowadays i.e. YOU have to be the one use the rocket launcher, YOU are the only one to advance and mow down most of the foes and YOU are the only one that has to protect his friend while he is doing something else...

The Cover system is awesome though and the gameplay is very standard affair, but the graphics and immersion is immense.
yea. if you've been playing the Call of Duty series, some things will feel very old.

deftangel

took a programming course
I have to say, I'm a bit let down with the demo. I was really sold from what I played in Leipzig and seen some really good stuff since but what they've put into the demo I found quite meh.

I'm sure there might have been better/prettier sections of the game to show off. Plus I need a DS3. I'm still going to pick it up, but I might not be there day 1.

Tieno

Played it and I'm undecided. Everything is great, from audio to graphics and shit...except that I feel like a clots controlling it. If there's a way to zoom in with the left trigger, gears style, then tell me. It's a bit too tankey for my tastes, RE5 tankey. Maybe I'll get used to it after a bit more playtime.

Graphics didn't really have the wow-effect on me anymore cause everything was spoiled by the retard-brigade spamming KZ2 gifs everywhere. Audio and menus are cool though, I like the effect going in and out of the menu during gameplay.

DrBo42

flipping_heck said:

Is it fun to watch the AI do these things instead? I must have missed the point of the controller in MY hand.

Just finished, really started to get into it at the end. The characters and ships a look outstanding, moreso that the enviroment. The motion blur is still bothering me a bit, but i think that it's because it looks so good it's hard to see it smudge everytime I move. The only thing i'll say I dislike is the movement speed and the character "weight" (move side to side and see what I mean)

Varna

flipping_heck said:

This wasn't the case for me at all. I never touched the rocket launcher and I mostly fumbled around with the aiming while the AI did all the work.

MercuryLS

Banned
One one word for this demo:

AWESOME.

The graphics, atmosphere, gunplay, everything is so tight and so RIGHT. The nailed evey last thing in this game.

It's like COD4 on crack.

The most visceral game i've ever played.

Oh, one more thing, Guerilla if you're reading this give a raise to your sound guy. The music and gun sounds are perfect.

Edit: I really wish they had a sniper rifle in the demo, I really want to try that out :(

Buttchin

flipping_heck said:

dont play COD4 then

revolverjgw said:
Alternate 2 control
Yes. It has the most familiar button functions I'm used to in console fps.

I've just cleared the demo for the third time, I think it is absolutely phenomenal.

Killzone 2 is hands down the best looking game I've ever played, holy shit what an achievement Guerrilla, fucking good job. Everything looks so damn good it is a pleasure just to watch, it also sounds great, and the music I've listened to is fantastic.

On top of the out of this world looks, the game plays damn good, the feeling of "shooting" is like I've never experienced before, just down right perfect. The enemies are fun and intelligent, you'll love killing them.

I can't see the final package going wrong, Killzone 2 will be a classic.

Yes, I'm in love.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Kandinsky said:
I was srsly considering getting this game on the hype alone (i suck at fps games), thank you Sony for giving me this demo, it was nothing special.

3179jih.jpg

...you practice that in front of the mirror?

DrBo42

The demo definitely feels better after going through it multiple times. IMO they chose a very poor close to the demo, it doesn't make the player want more. It made me say "What the fuck, that's it?"

-viper-

Banned
Seems like Sony putting the demo out was a bad idea. A lot of people now seem to be against the idea of buying this game. I'm not only talking about people on this forum - just generally. One guy has said 'I'm sticking with COD and Resistance'. Not surprised though - this game isn't going to attract any casuals due to the weighty controls.

Cruzader

Banned
Tieno said:
Played it and I'm undecided. Everything is great, from audio to graphics and shit...except that I feel like a clots controlling it. If there's a way to zoom in with the left trigger, gears style, then tell me. It's a bit too tankey for my tastes, RE5 tankey. Maybe I'll get used to it after a bit more playtime.

Graphics didn't really have the wow-effect on me anymore cause everything was spoiled by the retard-brigade spamming KZ2 gifs everywhere. Audio and menus are cool though, I like the effect going in and out of the menu during gameplay.

Really? REALLY?!...You must be joking.

-viper- said:
Seems like Sony putting the demo out was a bad idea. A lot of people now seem to be against the idea of buying this game. I'm not only talking about people on this forum - just generally. One guy has said 'I'm sticking with COD and Resistance'

Sweet! Just how I wanted it to turn out.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
-viper- said:
Seems like Sony putting the demo out was a bad idea. A lot of people now seem to be against the idea of buying this game. I'm not only talking about people on this forum - just generally. One guy has said 'I'm sticking with COD and Resistance'. Not surprised though - this game isn't going to attract any casuals due to the weighty controls.

Well people who stick with Resistance are beyond hope anywho.

And when all his friends are playing he'll be a bit tempted.

DrBo42

Pai Pai Master said:
Sweet! Just how I wanted it to turn out.

SnakeXs said:
Well people who stick with Resistance are beyond hope anywho.

And when all his friends are playing he'll be a bit tempted.

Exactly. How someone can go back to those titles (Resistance mostly) after playing KZ2 is beyond me. Probably the same guys I hate to hear on PSN. :lol

Any chance the full game will have a custom controller option? Can't say I'm too fond of the options available. No toggle on crouch? I guess that's because it's also used to 'stick' to walls, right?
Still, it's a major, major irritation for me when game developers do not allow the player to customise the controller the way they want. It'd certainly help RE5 and KZ2 could benefit from that option.
I will say it looks very good and sounds very good too. Controls feels a little floaty though, as if I'm gliding on the ground. But it's smooth and pin-point accurate, especially down the sights.
Visually it's impressive though a tad grainy. I guess it creates an almost cinematic look.

But I have some complaints (mainly aesthetic).
How is it that when playing your character, Sev, he seems shorter than everyone else? Your eye level isn't the same as your allies. It's like you're firing from the hip all the time, even when looking down the sights.
And how is it they stand and run with their gun pointing down but yours doesn't?
And, my final niggling moan, when close to a wall why does the barrel of my rifle still point forward, creating an unpleasant illusion of passing through the wall? Other games have you raising the gun up when close to a wall to avoid that.
Oh, and I don't like the dark corners of the picture.
Apart from that, great! Definite buy.

-viper-

Banned
Varna said:
This wasn't the case for me at all. I never touched the rocket launcher and I mostly fumbled around with the aiming while the AI did all the work.
Or you can blow up the bridge by simply shooting at the case of barrels with the assault rifle.

Ploid 3.0

DrBo42 said:
Exactly. How someone can go back to those titles (Resistance mostly) after playing KZ2 is beyond me. Probably the same guys I hate to hear on PSN. :lol

After the beta I didn't like the old FPS' much. But for R2 I had to go back, especially since the beta ended. Now it's KZ2 time, and I don't think it will end anytime soon. I loved team fortress 2 but it had very lousy support on ps2, and no lobby at all. It was so lifeless.

hulot

Slackbladder said:
How is it that when playing your character, Sev, he seems shorter than everyone else? Your eye level isn't the same as your allies. It's like you're firing from the hip all the time, even when looking down the sights.
Sev's a midget. Wait till you meet the jolly green giant, I forget her name.

Ploid 3.0

Slackbladder said:
Any chance the full game will have a custom controller option? Can't say I'm too fond of the options available. No toggle on crouch? I guess that's because it's also used to 'stick' to walls, right?
Still, it's a major, major irritation for me when game developers do not allow the player to customise the controller the way they want. It'd certainly help RE5 and KZ2 could benefit from that option.
I will say it looks very good and sounds very good too. Controls feels a little floaty though, as if I'm gliding on the ground. But it's smooth and pin-point accurate, especially down the sights.
Visually it's impressive though a tad grainy. I guess it creates an almost cinematic look.

But I have some complaints (mainly aesthetic).
And how is it they stand and run with their gun pointing down but yours doesn't?
And, my final niggling moan, when close to a wall why does the barrel of my rifle still point forward, creating an unpleasant illusion of passing through the wall? Other games have you raising the gun up when close to a wall to avoid that.
Oh, and I don't like the dark corners of the picture.
Apart from that, great! Definite buy.

The answer for most of your questions. Because it's a game, and it's a game design decision most likely. Btw when you run you aren't aiming your gun straight ahead. I like the way it moves personally.

-viper- said:

I've seen many many more WOW's then MEH's. It's not like any game is for everyone. If they don't like the controls, they don't like em.

I wish they let people get a taste of the MP though. That's what keep people around anyway.

sullytao

Impressions:

First off the graphics. Fuck me what the hell kind of black magic are GG using to make this beast? I have seen plenty of vids since E307 but I was still speechless as the game started up. Also those explosions are beyond insane.

The gameplay itself seems very well paced. The enemy A.I. were very impressive. From blind firing to switching from cover to cover in an attempt to get me in point blank range was very cool indeed. I am still not sold on the cover system yet. It took awhile for me to get to use it properly in the first place. Also I found that if I was stood up in cover and wanted to crouch I would have to step away from the wall, crouch then go back to it. Am I doing something wrong there or is it just set out like that?

The controls have yet to grow on me. It might be because I was playing COD4 all this morning while I waited for the demo but the aiming just felt uncomfortable in the demo. I fiddled around with the sensitivity for abit and got it to a point that I could use it better but it still felt abit more awkward. Its not a deal breaker or anything just something that I will have to get used too.

Overall it was a very good demo which makes me want to get the game on day 1. Apart from it being short, the only other niggle I have with it is the not being able to choose difficulty. I would have loved to have run through that section on Veteran (or whatever the hardest one is). To my knowledge I don't think I've played a demo that has locked all but 1 difficulty out. Just seems very strange to me.

Proc

Good enough to pick up imo. I tried out the knife to see how op it is...instant kills on that difficulty and the a.i. misses you a lot so its really easy to shank everyone in site. Hopefully the higher difficulty changes that.

RavenFox

Banned
Damn gif threads spoiled this lvl for me but seeing it on my tv is WOW. The controls I admit were strange and then eureka I found one that worked fine .Alernate 2. I have to say like much have been saying in this thread the damn thing was to short. What a tease :-(

DrBo42 said:
because the gameplay is the same (ironsights, holding two weapon, a.i. partners) except slower, with less players, and no co op. Go back? why would I switch.

dfyb

Banned
-viper- said:
Or you can blow up the bridge by simply shooting at the case of barrels with the assault rifle.
yeah this is how i did it the first couple times. i wish you couldn't just shoot it with a gun -- makes the whole objective less exciting.

Im sure this has been noted already, but I noticed that the little banter between you and the guy who comes with you to open the floodgates, changes from play through to play through. First time I played, as I was been boosted up the wall, he said "Ladies First." Second time, exact same section only this time while I was pulling him up he said "Don't drop me like last time."

Little touch. AMAZIN

I've been KuroZoned!!!11

Amazing graphics and sound! I love games than can really show off my system. Day 1 for me!

Gameplay was a bit meh though.
[

Shooting long and medium distance targets from behind cover felt good. Tracking moving targets felt a little odd but I'm sure I can get used to it. Close quarters gunplay seemed frantic but melee does the trick in those situations. Movement was a little slow but it felt comfortable.

It looked really great but like some others have said it didn't blow me away the way I thought it would after seeing all the videos and gifs. It lost a little of it's luster when it was blown up to 52 in but, like I said, it still looked amazing.

Definitely picking it up day 1.

MechDX

DrBo42 said:
I don't understand this complaint. The movement felt fine to me. You're a normal infantryman in combat gear carrying an automatic rifle and a sidearm, you're not Sonic.

I hope someone from Sega isnt reading this........Sonic Adventure 3: Commando.

Tieno

Cruzader said:
Really? REALLY?!...You must be joking.
No, I'm not. I've only played it once, but that was how the controls felt like. Sluggish, tankey. Maybe I'll get use to it, I don't know. With RE5 I have no desire to play it more though.

Later today, when I have the time, I'm gonna try the alt 2 method cause using the stick button for something as important as zooming is just not good use of gamepad real estate. Does it also map cover to the X button?

Top Bottom