• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 2 Demo up on EU PSN Store now

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
playing Killzone 1 for a bit this morning and you could remap everything individually there :( Has anyone ever asked them why they thought they had the end all control scheme and didn't need to implement this feature?

Lince

Banned
Zhuk said:
That said, the framerate suffers terribly in the game and it is quite distracting to see how slow everything runs, more often than not it feels below 30 frames a second and it really hurts the game.

suffers terribly? distracting how slow? ?? where? the frame rate is smooth as butter throughout the demo, with the exception of a couple of loading pauses. This is hilarious, if you were serious then you definitely need to check your PS3.

Jtrizzy

Lince said:
?? where? the frame rate is smooth as butter, with the exception of a couple of loading pauses. Check your PS3.

He's probably noticing the loading...I thought the same thing the first time I played through the demo.

Jtrizzy said:
He's probably noticing the loading...I thought the same thing the first time I played through the demo.

It doesn't sound like he's talking about the loading stutters. "More often then not it feels below 30 fps"...uhm.

The game has a stable framerate, I have no clue what he's talking about.

Lurchio

No framerate problems here either,smooth all the way(apart from where it loads obviously but that only lasts a second or so).I'm surprised so many people are struggling with the controls too,I didn't have any issues with them.

Infact the only problem I had with the demo was it was too damn short,other than that..Day one.:D

ice cream

Banned
Thought I wouldn't enjoy as everyone was talking shit about the movement and stuff..
but I loved it. Graphics are amazing (but now WOW but I think thats because I saw too many videos and screens). Shooting is great, but aiming can be a bit annoying at times, like when trying to shoot moving targets.

Atrophis

I liked the demo but it was far too short to get a real grasp of the game. I also have to admit that neither myself or my housemate was blown away by the graphics on display.

Maybe i've been spoiled by my PC or Gears 2 but i wasnt as wowed as i expected to be. I'm hoping thats just down to the demo level being fairly low key and perhaps one of the lesser impressive levels. I've seen plenty of screenshots of the game and they looked far more impressive.

That said the lighting is brilliant and the smoke and explosion effects are probably the best ive seen in a game. Also the IQ is very impressive, didnt see a single jaggy. Didnt notice any framerate problems either.

I did like the gunplay but only being allowed to carry one main weapon does feel very restricting. Cooking grenades is awesome though, i could do that shit all day long!

I will still be buying the game as i played the demo 3 times in a row and wished it was longer and thats always a good sign :p If they had included one mulitplayer level with the demo i think it would have made it far more effective as a sales tool.

Atrophis said:
That said the lighting is brilliant and the smoke and explosion effects are probably the best ive seen in a game. Also the IQ is very impressive, didnt see a single jaggy. Didnt notice any framerate problems either.

so... that SOUNDS pretty impressive... what did you expect?.. 4D instant happyness? :p

but i'm sure other levels will be more impressive

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Just played the demo.

I'm not sure what to make of it. On the one hand it's the best looking game I have ever played bar none. On the other the controls and movement just didn't sit right with me, even after adjusting the sensitivity. The set-pieces and the pacing were fine but overall I felt a disconnect.

I'll probably still buy it if only for the multiplayer.

Anyone else here almost immediately turn the music off?

...dunno, I just felt it threw things off the way music in Far Cry2 and Fallout3 did

-viper-

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
Anyone else here almost immediately turn the music off?

...dunno, I just felt it threw things off the way music in Far Cry2 and Fallout3 did
I love in game music. Makes it feel more exciting.

No music = boring.

cmmart

I like the cover mechanics. Visuals are sharp. Reload animations are
stunning.

One little complaint -- if the dialogue in the beginning is indicative of the
rest of the compaign, then ugh. These marines make the dude from
Haze and Marcus Phoenix seem like a couple of Rhodes Scholars.:lol

RpgN

Okay, I gave the demo 2 tries. First one yesterday and the second today.

The first time it felt sluggish and I had to get used to the controlls. It was hard for me to aim well and I kept dying. The graphics was the highlight.

The second playthrough it just clicked with me and it felt right. The controlls were smooth and I didn't die once, I had much more fun. The style of Killzone 2 is different than other FPSs it seems. It's not about speed and playing a ramboo, but delicacy and accuracy are the keys to victory. I think it gives a different feeling to other FPSs, definitely the opposite of RFOM for instance.

Oh and guys, try moving your sixaxis/dualshock controller while the mission is loading :lol

Huggers

Zhuk said:
Here are my impressions of the Killzone 2 demo:

Graphics: First of all the game is graphically brilliant, the use of post-processing effects and deferred rendering has brought this title into a class of its own on the consoles, this is the way of the future and I hope to see more use of such things in the future. That said, the framerate suffers terribly in the game and it is quite distracting to see how slow everything runs, more often than not it feels below 30 frames a second and it really hurts the game. Killzone really has set the bar high for current generation consoles and I doubt that few if any titles will be able to top it until middleware technology leaps forward to catch up to the excellent work of Guerilla Games's engineers.

Gameplay: The gameplay is solid, everything is there you could want but I will admit that I did not find it to be in the same class as Halo or Call of Duty as I feel a great FPS is more than the mere sum of its parts. The slow, floaty feeling of the game coupled with the frame rate hitching really takes away from the immersion and it is a shame that player movement was not tweaked before release. The guns are standard fare, but they have a quality feeling to them.

Story/Universe: The atmosphere of Killzone is brilliant and as an IP universe it has much potential, but I feel that this has been wasted in what seems to be a universe that once you scratch beneath the surface, you find it to be quite superficial and lacking in the storyline department. This is only exacerbated by the weak characters in the demo, but as this is a FPS this is forgiveable.

Overall: Is the game the next 'holy grail' or the 'greatest game of all time' as the fandroids hype it??? It certainly is not, but there is nothing wrong with that.

I am pleased to say that Killzone 2 has beaten my expectations, and it is a solid title on the PlayStation 3 that has contributed to gaming by pushing the boundaries of what is possible graphically on current game consoles while sticking with tried and true gameplay.

Killzone 2 is a good game, and is a worthy purchase for gamers who appreciate shooters and the latest graphical technology.

Demo Score: 8.5/10

Subtle

I must have been playing a different game

eXistor

Just played the demo. It was good, but the delay in controls is pretty noticable. I'm sure I'll adapt to it, but coming off of Resistance 2 this feels sluggish. I'll probably loan it from work for a weekend or something. If the singleplayer is like Resistance 2's then I'll get enough fun out of it.

RpgN

eXistor said:
Just played the demo. It was good, but the delay in controls is pretty noticable. I'm sure I'll adapt to it, but coming off of Resistance 2 this feels sluggish. I'll probably loan it from work for a weekend or something. If the singleplayer is like Resistance 2's then I'll get enough fun out of it.

It's a very different game compared to resistance, but I'm sure you'll get used to Killzone 2 like I did :)

"Unass this thing".

To un-ass something. Truly, Killzone 2 has expanded my vocabulary this day!

Really loved the demo, albeit short. The weight and heft of moving about! To me this is the perfect fusion of what Gears of War was all about but transplanted to an FPS.

I'm really a bit fed up of other games having no weight to them, like youre this anti-friction ghost, just skimming along the ground because "dems the rules". In games like SOTC, Killzone 2 and Gears, you really get more immersed in it all because of the weight of all of your actions.

Wish I'd been in the beta to try out the MP, thats the one thing missing from the demo that wouldve been a real hook for many people. Maybe just 1 map, and one 5 minute deathmatch mode or something.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That said, the framerate suffers terribly in the game and it is quite distracting to see how slow everything runs, more often than not it feels below 30 frames a second and it really hurts the game.
This is just flat out incorrect. The game sports a very stable framerate. Only during transition hallways (loading) are there any hitches, and it's no worse than any of the Halo games. During the action, the framerate remains a solid 30 fps 99% of the time. It's very stable and enhanced further by the motion blur.

Where on earth did you see performance loss?

Were you perhaps talking about the original Killzone for PlayStation 2?

SecretBonusPoint said:
"Unass this thing".

To un-ass something. Truly, Killzone 2 has expanded my vocabulary this day!

Really loved the demo, albeit short. The weight and heft of moving about! To me this is the perfect fusion of what Gears of War was all about but transplanted to an FPS.

I'm really a bit fed up of other games having no weight to them, like youre this anti-friction ghost, just skimming along the ground because "dems the rules". In games like SOTC, Killzone 2 and Gears, you really get more immersed in it all because of the weight of all of your actions.

Wish I'd been in the beta to try out the MP, thats the one thing missing from the demo that wouldve been a real hook for many people. Maybe just 1 map, and one 5 minute deathmatch mode or something.

hahah when is this line said? Must pay more attention

bloodline

Neo Member
I downloaded and played it last night just to see what all the fuss is about. I normally only watch movies on my PS3 but there was just so much hype I had to check it out.

The graphics are highly over-rated. I dont get what everyone is drooling over. Granted, my last two games were Crysis Warhead and Mirrors Edge PC. I still really didnt find the game to be any better looking than some of the other console games out there like Uncharted, Gears, or even COD4. I guess it had a lens flare type of effect that was unique...

I did think the animations look nice. The sound was great too. The guns felt and sounded really solid.

Every time I try a console FPS it reaffirms my love for FPS's on the PC. God bless you guys who can deal with the controls on console shooters because I most certainly can not. I find myself frustrated and annoyed at all times.

Over-rated graphics and bad controls aside...I would like to play more of it. But only if they update it with some M/KB support or bring it to the PC. I wont be holding my breath or losing any sleep over it though.

deepbrown

bloodline said:
I downloaded and played it last night just to see what all the fuss is about. I normally only watch movies on my PS3 but there was just so much hype I had to check it out.

The graphics are highly over-rated. I dont get what everyone is drooling over. Granted, my last two games were Crysis Warhead and Mirrors Edge PC. I still really didnt find the game to be any better looking than some of the other console games out there like Uncharted, Gears, or even COD4. I guess it had a lens flare type of effect that was unique...

I did think the animations look nice. The sound was great too. The guns felt and sounded really solid.

Every time I try a console FPS it reaffirms my love for FPS's on the PC. God bless you guys who can deal with the controls on console shooters because I most certainly can not. I find myself frustrated and annoyed at all times.

Over-rated graphics and bad controls aside...Id would like to play more of it. But only if they update it with some M/KB support or bring it to the PC. I wont be holding my breath or losing any sleep over it though.

Ever thought you're frustrated with the controls of console FPS games because you only play FPS games on PC?

Controlling games takes getting used to and you can get stuck in a rutt. Just like there's no way I could play an FPS on a PC.

bloodline

Neo Member
deepbrown said:
Ever thought you're frustrated with the controls of console FPS games because you only play FPS games on PC?

Controlling games takes getting used to and you can get stuck in a rutt. Just like there's no way I could play an FPS on a PC.

Absolutely. I guess I didnt make that clear. My issues with the controls have nothing to do with the game. Its console shooters in general that get me.

Snaku

Banned
I played the demo a dozen times...I've never done that with a demo. Easily the most impressive game I've seen since God of War II. Default controls were perfect for me, though I had to up the x & y axis sensitivity one notch.

deepbrown

bloodline said:
Absolutely. I guess I didnt make that clear. My issues with the controls have nothing to do with the game. Its console shooters in general that get me.
Oh I know that's what you said. But perhaps you'd realy like console shooters if you got used to it.

dejan

So I played the demo again today (without a HUD which is awesome) constantly messing with the sensitivity settings, but it just won't click with me. The aiming in this game still feels fundamentaly wrong to me and I'm currently having way too much fun playing Left 4 Dead to be willing to invest more time trying to adapt to this.

dejan said:
So I played the demo again today (without a HUD which is awesome) constantly messing with the sensitivity settings, but it just won't click with me. The aiming in this game still feels fundamentaly wrong to me and I'm currently having way too much fun playing Left 4 Dead to be willing to invest more time trying to adapt to this.

I tinkered with the control for a while but still found it hard to find the right fit. I think it's just the controller, perhaps the dualshock anologs are too sensitive.

Lince said:
suffers terribly? distracting how slow? ?? where? the frame rate is smooth as butter throughout the demo, with the exception of a couple of loading pauses. This is hilarious, if you were serious then you definitely need to check your PS3.

Ignore Zhuk. If you would like to see what sort of a poster he is, go check his history over at N4G. Don't ever take him seriously when it come to PS3 games.

People need to play this with the HUD turned off (IMO) to get the right feel for the game. Seriously the game is fucking amazing. Better looking than Crysis (again IMO) and I'm a PC Gamer whore. I am very impressed with this game and will be picking it up Day 1.

The controls are the hardest part to adapt to....

Where I think the disconnect is when you are moving your gun around outside of iron side/rectle aiming it feels fine, but you go into iron side and it feels off. I've noticed that the input sensitivity is different for each one which may be what's throwing people off.

Either way, very minor gripe and I can't wait to play MP! :D

Hud-less is the only way to play IMO.
Makes the game feel a thousand times more visceral and real.
The graphics are the best on consoles.. but still not better than Crysis on Max.

Kolgar

See, I KNEW all the "OMG Killzoned!!!11" hype would hurt some initial impressions.

There's no doubt this is one of the best-looking console games to date. But yeah, once I got past that opening scene (which does look pretty damn incredible), the shock starts to wear off and pretty soon, you realize you're merely playing a very good-looking, very high-budget title on the current generation of consoles.

For my money, KZ2 excels at lighting, motion blur, and depth of field, with--bar none--the best gun models I've ever seen in a video game.

I was really not expecting to see as many low-res textures as I did (i.e., signs in the warehouse), and there are a couple of small aliasing issues, but overall, these are the smoothest, most gorgeous visuals ever seen on PS3.

It's good enough for me, as I'm pleased as punch to see the Killzone universe get a next-gen makeover. But I sure hate to see another Killzone game get hurt by its own hype.

Banned
Kolgar said:
See, I KNEW all the "OMG Killzoned!!!11" hype would hurt some initial impressions.

There's no doubt this is one of the best-looking console games to date. But yeah, once I got past that opening scene (which does look pretty damn incredible), the shock starts to wear off and pretty soon, you realize you're merely playing a very good-looking, very high-budget title on the current generation of consoles.

For my money, KZ2 excels at lighting, motion blur, and depth of field, with--bar none--the best gun models I've ever seen in a video game.

I was really not expecting to see as many low-res textures as I did (i.e., signs in the warehouse), and there are a couple of small aliasing issues, but overall, these are the smoothest, most gorgeous visuals ever seen on PS3.

It's good enough for me, as I'm pleased as punch to see the Killzone universe get a next-gen makeover. But I sure hate to see another Killzone game get hurt by its own hype.

I agree the gun models were the best I have seen. Dont think the lighting is anything special. Not in the demo anyway. I agree the textures were not very good at some spots. Overall I prefer Uncharted graphics to KZ2. This is not the graphics juggernaut everyone was saying it was.

That said I did love the animations and the AI was great. At the end of the day the controls kill the whole experience. So much so I canceled my preorder.

FrankT

GG responds to some of the controller complaints;

Hey folks,

I have been looking at this with one of our Game Designers and we are starting to come to the conclusion that this is down primarily to the design decision to make the game weightier. Killzone 2 is not a 'twitchy' shooter like some of you might be (rightfully) accustomed to and we think it might simply be down to some growing pains on some people's behalf. In this demo we also did not add the section that comes before this where a player would naturally climatize to the controls and have simply dumped you on Corinth River, so I think a lot of these complaints will be negated by the players natural progression through the full game.

So at this moment we are not considering it a bug, or anything that needs to be patched.

We do suggest however not having the sensitivity on full as this can make the appearence of a delay seem more aggressively. Work your way up the sensitivity scale slowly as you become more accustomed to the game.

Also seeing if there are any post-processing settings on your TV you could shut off without negating the visual quality of the game or if you have a 'Gaming' setting to try that as few TVs are set up as standard for gaming and often require some tweaking.

This does not mean we are going to pull a blanket over our heads and stop evaluating this and looking into it and allowing you guys an adjustment period and I will pick this up with some coders on Monday as well to see what they say.

What i am however interested in, what FPS games have you just recently or are playing currently. The majority of people on here seem to not have any issues adjusting and we think it might simply down to a certain mindset more than anything, which is of course of interest to us too from a playability standpoint.

I would also like to take this opportunity to ask you all to show some restraint and keep the forums a bit more tidy. We pride ourselves here on having a mature forum and encouraging healthy discussion, but the past few days it has been anything but healthy and a lot of the conversations have simply been drowned out. So please take a deep breath, take a break and if I have any more information about this I will let you know. I'll try and be on here this weekend, but with the massive amounts of posts and threads I can't promise to read and react to everything. I do after all have my actual job to do . I also want to thank those of you that have helped identify what is going on and to let you know that we will continue to take on all constructive feedback to help us make better games.

Have a good Friday folks.

Seb Downie - QA Manager - Guerrilla Games

http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=killzone2&thread.id=143456

Banned
Private Hoffman said:
There's nothing to fix, as he mentioned it is not a bug. It's the way the game was intended to be played.

I find it hard to believe they intended it to be sluggish.

Future

I dont mind weighty controls, but I do feel I tend to over shoot everything constantly when trying to precision aim. This is a combination of weighty controls and lack of (perceivable?) aim assist. Having a real hard time adjusting sensitivity to what I like, but I admit I did the big no no he mentioned: probably upped the sensitivity too high. I'll lower it and try it again.

Killzone isnt a twitchy shooter, but neither are the majority of console fps. It depends on the scenarios really if this lack of precision becomes a problem in the game. If I am surrounded by baddies and need to kill them quickly to survive, it might be tough with the current controls

Zeliard

Karma said:
So no patch to fix the controls. :(

They don't need fixing. It's honestly a little embarrassing that people are complaining about "aim lag" as if it isn't an obviously conscious design decision meant to give the movement and gunplay some weight. There's nothing to patch.

Karma said:
I find it hard to believe they intended it to be sluggish.

I don't find it sluggish. They intended it to be weighter, which it is. It's not a twitch shooter.

KZ2 is the Forza/Gran Turismo of shooters, in a sense, while the games you are used to are more like Ridge Racer.

It's just a design decision. Luckily, I can enjoy both Forza/Gran Turismo as well as Ridge Racer/MotorStorm/whatever.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I hear there's a bug that makes KZ2 look and play nothing like Halo.

Come on guys, there's no fucking bug with the controls. Just because it doesn't look, play and generally "feel" like every other fps on the market doesn't mean it's a technical issue.

Zen

Banned
Sluggish isn't the word they'd use. 'Deliberate' or 'weighty' is. You honestly think that they've spent to long on the game, played it over and over again, and the controls being how they are is a mistake? THey probably just weren't anticipating this level of complaints over their particular implementation.

Top Bottom