• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 2 Demo up on EU PSN Store now

depward

I'm convinced too many people are used to the super-fast twitchy CoD-type FPS controls and, when playing the KZ2 demo, think it's "sluggish" or "unresponsive."

Peoples: CoD controls are twitch. It's not how real human beings can run, jump, turn, spin, all of that. There's absolutely no weight to your dude in the game.

KZ is slower and more deliberate. There's weight. You jump and it's going to act like a human's jumping.

Bananimus

Jtyettis said:
After playing the demo a few times, I'm not sure I agree entirely with their assessment of the controls. I appreciate the fact that they went for a "weightier" experience, but I think they missed the mark slightly when it comes to making the player feel "connected" to the character's aiming-related movement.

There's a significant (in my opinion) dead zone on the aiming-related analog stick. I'm not sure if a similar dead zone is present on the movement stick, but movement felt fine. After this dead zone, aiming speed ramps up way too fast (in relation to the position of the analog stick). In other words, I think the region of analog stick position suitable for "fine aiming" (as opposed to coarse positioning) is much too small. As a result, even if your coarse positioning of the reticle puts you near your intended target, attempts at fine-tuning your aim often results in your cross hair (or sights) moving not enough (on account of the dead zone) or too much (on account of the small region suitable for fine-tuning your aim).

The result, at least in my case, was an experience where I was constantly fighting the controls while lining up shots. For reference, I eventually settled on the sensitivity two notches above default. It wasn't ideal, but it was least workable.

It's a fun demo, but I do believe some fine tuning of the controls is in order (or at least making available some additional controller settings). I'll be playing the full version regardless.

Future

depward said:
KZ is slower and more deliberate. There's weight. You jump and it's going to act like a human's jumping.

Jump is laggy too though.

I also dont feel CoD is that twitchy. Unreal, Quake...those are twitchy shooters. No, CoD isnt the hallmark of realism, but sometimes you have to sacrifice that to get responsive controls. I havent played any FPS that has the "sluggish" feel that this game does, and I think there is a reason for that. But I also understand what they were trying to go for. If a designer decides to go against the mold a little bit, then there will be some backlash as people try to adjust to what their used to. Hopefully people DO adjust so it doesnt turn people to CoD6.

Banned
Zeliard said:
They don't need fixing. It's honestly a little embarrassing that people are complaining about "aim lag" as if it isn't an obviously conscious design decision meant to give the movement and gunplay some weight. There's nothing to patch.

Their conscious design decision to add weight made it sluggish and not fun. Being realistic does not make it fun.

depward said:
Peoples: CoD controls are twitch. It's not how real human beings can run, jump, turn, spin, all of that. There's absolutely no weight to your dude in the game.

It is a video game not real life. How does that make it more fun?

Bananimus said:
After playing the demo a few times, I'm not sure I agree entirely with their assessment of the controls. I appreciate the fact that they went for a "weightier" experience, but I think they missed the mark slightly when it comes to making the player feel "connected" to the character's aiming-related movement.

There's a significant (in my opinion) dead zone on the aiming-related analog stick. I'm not sure if a similar dead zone is present on the movement stick, but movement felt fine. After this dead zone, aiming speed ramps up way too fast (in relation to the position of the analog stick). In other words, I think the region of analog stick position suitable for "fine aiming" (as opposed to coarse positioning) is much too small. As a result, even if your coarse positioning of the reticle puts you near your intended target, attempts at fine-tuning your aim often results in your cross hair (or sights) moving not enough (on account of the dead zone) or too much (on account of the small region suitable for fine-tuning your aim). Of the two, I believe that the large dead zone is the worst offender.

The result, at least in my case, was an experience where I was constantly fighting the controls while lining up shots. For reference, I eventually settled on the sensitivity two notches above default. It wasn't ideal, but it was least workable.

It's a fun demo, but I do believe some fine tuning of the controls is in order (or at least making available some additional controller settings). I'll be playing the full version regardless.

I really don't understand the dead zone comments.

If I barely press the analog stick, movement registers. There's not an issue with the dead zone.

The difference is, KZ2 has momentum and inertia for the movement; your initial movement won't be as significant as it will be if you hold the stick down. It will accelerate.

Once I played the beta for a few matches, I had no issue lining up shots. You're supposed to aim in the general direction before you shoot, and then pull up the scopes if necessary for finer movement which is very accurate for me. I never had an issue after I played it for a short period of time.

Karma said:
Their conscious design decision to add weight made it sluggish and not fun. Being realistic does not make it fun.

That's your opinion. I find it responsive and it adds to the level of immersion, which in turn makes the game unique and fun.

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
Rapping Granny said:
The only problem I have with the controls is the "hold crouch for cover", I hope they can patch it to toggle.

Meh...Half life had the same option so im cool with it.

belvedere said:
I hear there's a bug that makes KZ2 look and play nothing like Halo.

Come on guys, there's no fucking bug with the controls. Just because it doesn't look, play and generally "feel" like every other fps on the market doesn't mean it's a technical issue.

It's funny to hear people respond to the game. Some say the controls are so different that they can't get used to them. Others say the game was fine but felt nothing new to them.

The controls are different when compared with other console shooter. They work for me though. It took me a full three times running through before I started to really get a feel for it. I pressed hard to get used to zoom being on the stick and moved the sensitivity up a couple notches on both the Y and X.

I think the cover system works well and I like how accurate your gun is when shooting from the hip. By the third play through I was doing a little run and gun and a little stop and pop.

I've seen people compare the game to COD, but I didn't think so. It felt more like a FPS uncharted with a little run and gun every now and then.

Bananimus

Private Hoffman said:
You're supposed to aim in the general direction before you shoot, and then pull up the scopes if necessary for finer movement...
This is exactly what I do. The dead zone is still present when I pull up the sights, and it throws me off. I should note that I don't have a problem getting my crosshair/sights near the enemy. It's during the fine-tuning that the controls become an issue.

depward said:
I'm convinced too many people are used to the super-fast twitchy CoD-type FPS controls and, when playing the KZ2 demo, think it's "sluggish" or "unresponsive."

Joke post?

Twitch shooter on console? Does not compute

While I agree that CoD is faster then KZ2, its the fastest console shooter there is, but at least KZ2 isn't Halo. Halo moves at a snail's pace.

Banned
Bananimus said:

There's a significant (in my opinion) dead zone on the aiming-related analog stick. I'm not sure if a similar dead zone is present on the movement stick, but movement felt fine. After this dead zone, aiming speed ramps up way too fast (in relation to the position of the analog stick). In other words, I think the region of analog stick position suitable for "fine aiming" (as opposed to coarse positioning) is much too small. As a result, even if your coarse positioning of the reticle puts you near your intended target, attempts at fine-tuning your aim often results in your cross hair (or sights) moving not enough (on account of the dead zone) or too much (on account of the small region suitable for fine-tuning your aim).

This. I find it hard to be accurate. I am constantly making small corrections to get the aim right. Shooting from the hip without zoom felt really out of control.

Acid08

Banned
Shoot in bursts for your best accuracy from the hip. You can't just hold down R1 and expect a straight shot of bullets to come out.

And KZ2 is amazingly fun because of how realistic it is. I found that by turning off every single indicator, the reticule, and the ammo counter it became much more intense. It's a ton of fun.

DrPirate

Banned
Fenderputty said:
Ignore Zhuk. If you would like to see what sort of a poster he is, go check his history over at N4G. Don't ever take him seriously when it come to PS3 games.

Don't start this shit. Seriously, it's uncalled for.

Anyways, I just wanted to add my two cents to this comment

"Originally Posted by depward:

It is a video game not real life. How does that make it more fun?"

Some people (well ok...I'll just count myself). think that makes a game feel more fun. Perhaps that's why I loved Mirror's Edge. It just felt "different" in the way it handles itself. You feel like a head attached to a body, and I think that's cool.

Some people think Call of Duty, or even super twitch shooters like Unreal Tournament are awesome and having that kind of control over momentum and speed reigns(omg, super big soldiers can't spin 560 degrees on senesitivity 11.5 with giant rocket launchers and 13 weapons on them) and that's cool too.

It's all down to taste, no one is wrong, but I think you over step your boundaries by saying, realism = less fun. I also think it's overstepping boundaries to say that "twitch" camera is rediculous or stupid because it's not realistic.

Zeliard

Karma said:

It's not "sluggish", it's purposeful and it fits in the context of everything else they're trying to do with the game. The game itself, especially the single-player, is specifically meant to be slower-paced and far more methodical than shooters like CoD4 and Halo. They can't speed up the aiming and movement without compromising the entire backbone of the gameplay. You're also going up against enemies both in SP and MP that don't move any quicker than you do. It's an even playing field.

Bananimus said:

Are you sure you're not mixing up dead zone issues with turn acceleration? Because the latter seems to be what's going on. The shorter you edge the right stick, the slower the crosshair moves. Same thing, in reverse, the further you move it and hold it. The acceleration can take some getting used to.

It's not a deadzone. Even nudhing the stick ever so gently is enough to get movement. It's input lag. It's certainly not the worst input lag I've seen though. PDZ was way worse, if anyone remembers that.

Bananimus

Zeliard said:
Are you sure you're not mixing up dead zone issues with turn acceleration? Because the latter seems to be what's going on. The shorter you edge the right stick, the slower the crosshair moves. Same thing, in reverse, the further you move it. It can take some getting used to.
There's a noticeable region of analog stick movement that doesn't translate to any on-screen movement. Just outside this range, aiming is extremely slow, but visible. If there is any appreciable acceleration at this point, it's very difficult to notice. Aiming speed/acceleration quickly ramps up after leaving this dead zone. I've held the stick at the very edge of the dead zone for extended periods of time (10 to 15 seconds) with no visible movement. It's definitely there.

GodofWine

Maybe this should be the first ever FP'S', First Person Simulation...eh? eh? GG call me, we'll discuss the rights for this to be used in commercials :lol

(after playing the demo like 10 times and going back to COD WaW, COD felt so 'detached' and fake (bad word I know)...now don't jump on me if you love COD, I do to, but the different feeling they have is way noticeable.)

Bananimus said:
There's a noticeable region of analog stick movement that doesn't translate to any on-screen movement. Just outside this range, aiming is extremely slow, but visible. If there is any appreciable acceleration at this point, it's very difficult to notice. Aiming speed/acceleration quickly ramps up after leaving this dead zone. I've held the stick at the very edge of the dead zone for extended periods of time (10 to 15 seconds) with no visible movement. It's definitely there.

You due realize that the duel shock 3's dead zone is actually smaller then the 360 controller don't you ? The DS2 dead zone was Horrendous this is just not the case on teh Sixaixs/DS3.

Zen said:
Sluggish isn't the word they'd use. 'Deliberate' or 'weighty' is. You honestly think that they've spent to long on the game, played it over and over again, and the controls being how they are is a mistake? THey probably just weren't anticipating this level of complaints over their particular implementation.

This sounds A LOT like the defense of not having a retry option in Burnout Paradise... before the retry option was added. Just because they think something is good from a design perspective, and it was played over and over again doesn't mean that a good majority of people won't like it and they could change it later... again, case in point Burnouts retry option.

Karma said:

Fair enough. For you it may not be fun. I personally and many others I gather from many posts find it really fun and have no real issue with the controls. I like it a lot I don't consier it "sluggish". But heh, not everyone is going to like the same thing.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
OldJadedGamer said:
This sounds A LOT like the defense of not having a retry option in Burnout Paradise... before the retry option was added. Just because they think something is good from a design perspective, and it was played over and over again doesn't mean that a good majority of people won't like it and they could change it later... again, case in point Burnouts retry option.
I don't think it's anything like that to be honest. The control speed is just a bit different than other games, and if you speed it up in the settings it becomes even less different. There's also less aim assist present than in most console FPSs, which I actually like.

In any case, it's nothing dramatic, and nothing that changes your whole way of how you play the game. I dunno, I played it for the first time yesterday and I was nailing headshots left and right with no problems whatsoever after a minute of play. And I'm not even any kind of FPS wizard either.
I have a feeling a lot of people who complain about this probably don't even really play FPS games on PS3, so it all feels completely different to them.

Bananimus

Trailblazer said:
You due realize that the duel shock 3's dead zone is actually smaller then the 360 controller don't you ? The DS2 dead zone was Horrendous this is just not the case on teh Sixaixs/DS3.
Looking into the issue I stumbled across an old Eurogamer article on the PS3 port of F.E.A.R. (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/fear-first-impressions).

Eurogamer F.E.A.R. Impressions said:
...the game also highlights the dead zone problem of the PS3 pad - which is far less noticeable on the Sixaxis than it was on the Dual Shock 2, but continues to pose a slight problem when manoeuvring in FPS games, often forcing the user to over-compensate and hence overshoot their target. It's something which developers can overcome with a bit of tweaking (as demonstrated by games such as Resistance: Fall of Man)...
I'll have to fire up Resistance tonight to see if I can tell what they did. I don't remember having problems fine-tuning my aim in that game (I realize they're very different games, but it's still worth investigating).

Bananimus said:
Looking into the issue I stumbled across an old Eurogamer article on the PS3 port of F.E.A.R. (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/fear-first-impressions).

I'll have to fire up Resistance tonight to see if I can tell what they did. I don't remember having problems fine-tuning my aim in that game (I realize they're very different games, but it's still worth investigating).

They don't discuss the issue relative to the 360 pad.

The 360 pad does have a larger dead zone.

OldJadedGamer said:
The problem isn't people that don't like the controls, it's the folks who say the controls are "bad". Burnout Paradise was not fixed by the option, just changed. I suppose it's good that more people can enjoy it that way, but I'm always extremely wary about focus-testing for artistic products. It's not a requirement that everybody love everything; I'd hate for idiosyncrasy and strange approaches to die out. For example, I find the control design in Robot Alchemic Drive very frustrating. . .and I wouldn't change it for anything.

why are we having this dead zone discussion?

If it really was a big issue, why doesn't everyone just request that console shooters now support KB+M and be done with it?

Its a ridiculous way to nit pick at this game.

domokunrox said:
why are we having this dead zone discussion?

If it really was a big issue, why doesn't everyone just request that console shooters now support KB+M and be done with it?

Its a ridiculous way to nit pick at this game.

Well, when you have a game this well made all that's left for some people is nitpicking.

Then again, we have a lot of hardcore gamers around here and "nitpicking" can also be seen as some constructive feedback to the developers. If done within reason.

I suspect there are also some people that just enjoy nitpicking and being overly negative and are just looking for any perceived "weakness" to jump on.

Also KB+M is impractical when sitting on your comfy couch in the living room. It's all a matter of learning and getting use to something perceived as "different" for some people that have been playing the same type of game forever.

Change can be good people. Embrace it and see where it leads you.

Cruzader

Banned
Silverthorn said:
Well, when you have a game this well made all that's left for some people is nitpicking.

Then again, we have a lot of hardcore gamers around here and "nitpicking" can also be seen as some constructive feedback to the developers. If done within reason.

I suspect there are also some people that just enjoy nitpicking and being overly negative and are just looking for any perceived "weakness" to jump on.

Also KB+M is impractical when sitting on your comfy couch in the living room. It's all a matter of learning and getting use to something perceived as "different" for some people that have been playing the same type of game forever.

Well said bud.

Lince said:
I'd like to see what you've seen

I'm not knocking Killzone, it looks great, but we've been spoiled this gen by awesome looking visuals.

MGS4
Uncharted
Gears
LBP
CoD4

It's just a demo though, so I'm not writing off the entire game. I'm sure there will be some incredible things to see through out. I'm going to keep playing the demo and see if I can get my head wrapped around the controls :/

Tutomos said:
Do people want fun or immersion.

I had both last night after the third playthough.

I understand the complaints that people are having. I don't understand how they're not able to adjust.

Vustadumas said:
I'm not knocking Killzone, it looks great, but we've been spoiled this gen by awesome looking visuals.

MGS4
Uncharted
Gears
LBP
CoD4

It's just a demo though, so I'm not writing off the entire game. I'm sure there will be some incredible things to see through out. I'm going to keep playing the demo and see if I can get my head wrapped around the controls :/

How many times have you played it?

J-Rzez

Karma said:

Meh... why make it more "gamey"? It'd just be more "samey" along the lines of CoD4 then.

"The game doesn't nothing different, doesn't change the genre at all, not groundbreaking, all cookie cutter, that's one problem. The other problem along with being nothing new is that it's not like CoD4 or Halo really at all". /reviewer

Silverthorn said:

While that's true, giving the option to people is never a bad thing. Of course when playing online they would have to make sure the input was a controller otherwise people with KB+M would have an unfair advantage, but for SP campaign they should give folks the option, same goes for other FPS and Strategy games IMO.

Rapping Granny said:
How many times have you played it?

Just a couple times. My first impression was not good :/ So my roommate ran through it, and he had the same feeling. I gave it another go, but wrestled with the controls to much, so I decided to give it rest for the night.

I'll fire it back up this weekend and take my time with it.

Vustadumas said:
Just a couple times. My first impression was not good :/ So my roommate ran through it, and he had the same feeling. I gave it another go, but wrestled with the controls to much, so I decided to give it rest for the night.

I'll fire it back up this weekend and take my time with it.

It took me 3 times through to get the hang of it. And by get the hang of it, I mean, start to figure it out. It was do-able for me and I know that another couple of time I'll have it down.

I didn't really enjoy my first playthrough though. It took some time getting acclimated to it before I was able to enjoy all the other stuff going on.

AranhaHunter said:
While that's true, giving the option to people is never a bad thing. Of course when playing online they would have to make sure the input was a controller otherwise people with KB+M would have an unfair advantage, but for SP campaign they should give folks the option, same goes for other FPS and Strategy games IMO.

The problem with keyboard and mouse is the game balance is thrown way out the window even in single player due to higher accuracy.

*** I would also submit that a game like Killzone 2 would not work well with the mouse.

By definition, you wouldn't be allowed to turn quickly even if you WHIZZZZZ the mouse fast due to the gameplay style.

I think almost immediately KB+M people would complain that the "tracking" is too slow because they would have to pickup the mouse over and over to reposition just to rotate 360 degrees.

Having a mouse lends itself to Unreal Tournament 3 speeds where you can spin like a ballet dancer in a circle.

Haunted said:
Ctrl+F: "crouch toggle" - no results found

:( :(

The accelerated aiming is fine, but please implement crouch toggle, guys. It's a no-brainer with the way your cover system is designed.

:lol I was thinking the exact same thing

As I said, I don't even use the much lauded cover system because it's just too freaking uncomfortable to execute (>__<)

It was actually so bad last night that I needed a palette clense and loaded up Resitance2 :D

....got my "Exotic Weapon Collector" trophy to boot

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Karma said:

To get one thing out of the way, it isn't realistic. In real life its obviously far faster to turn than it is in Killzone.

AgentOtaku said:

As I said, I don't even use the much lauded cover system because it's just too freaking uncomfortable to execute (>__<)
THIS. And I love the cover mechanics and the momentum / speed / inertia / movement. I love the whole package, I just felt like I was constantly uncomfortable with the controller.

I mean, listen to almost everyone here: "I had to play the demo multiple times till I got a hang of it." It's a fps, we've been playing these for years, I really think it's the layout of the controls, not the control mechanics themselves that's to blame.

I don't want Guerilla to compromise on their design, I just want to be able to map buttons & toggle some actions.

Treo360

GodofWine said:
Maybe this should be the first ever FP'S', First Person Simulation...eh? eh? GG call me, we'll discuss the rights for this to be used in commercials :lol

(after playing the demo like 10 times and going back to COD WaW, COD felt so 'detached' and fake (bad word I know)...now don't jump on me if you love COD, I do to, but the different feeling they have is way noticeable.)

Simulation for what, impaired mobility? Sorry but when I had a rucksack with about 75lbs of equipment and my flak vest, K-Pot , I was able to turn, aim and shoot with accuracy (less I moved the better of course!) a hell of a lot faster than this.

Personally I'm finding these videos of people running around constantly hip firing and knocking out the baddies a little too accurate. Then again it could be the difficulty, otherwise this will be a pretty looking FPS lite.

Shearie

People really need to quit with this "Playstation controller's have this HUUUUGGEEEE deadzone" shit. Developers choose how much of a deadzone they want for their game and it's not something that's inherent to the Playstation controllers just because some games you played on the system have a noticible amount of deadzone. Pick up the futuristic racing game on the PS2 called Powerdrome at Gamestop for dirt-cheap and it'll prove my point. If you give the left analog stick the lightest touch you can possibly give it while racing, it'll register that minute movement, and all on the DS2 that supposed to have the MOST GODFUCKING HUGE DEADZONE EVER OF ALL CONTROLLERS EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sectus

BobsRevenge said:
To get one thing out of the way, it isn't realistic. In real life its obviously far faster to turn than it is in Killzone.
Depends on how you look at it. Faster to turn your head? Yes. Faster to turn your entire body and aim in that specific direction? Maybe not.

At least this puts a whole new perspective on the RE5 controls complaints. If people find it too hard adjusting to Killzone 2, then people are quite simply spoiled.

Haunted said:
Ctrl+F: "crouch toggle" - no results found

:( :(

The accelerated aiming is fine, but please implement crouch toggle, guys. It's a no-brainer with the way your cover system is designed.

This. Hopefully it's already in the final version or a patch.

Haunted

AgentOtaku said:

Well, I'm still using it all the time just because it's so much fun and well-implemented, even if it's uncomfortable without toggle. Such a basic oversight (which lots and lots of people have remarked already) is just mind-boggling, though.

People complaining about the (intended) accelerated aiming have elicited a reaction from Guerrilla, so I'll keep up my cries for crouch toggle until they're adressed. :p

still haven't played the demo, but the things i wanted most from playing the beta were toggle crouch and hold to run, instead of the exact opposite, and a full controller config. is any of that stuff in the demo?

Top Bottom