• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 2 Demo up on EU PSN Store now

Yep Alternate Controls 2 with Toggle to zoom IS the best settle. I just wish it didn't have the accelerated look control. I had a tough time with farcry 2 because of that.

So this was the first demo I ever dl'ed for my PS3 (I don't have it that long, only served as a blu-ray player up till now), but I was really interested in this game. So tried the demo.

First off: Playstation Store has a great lay-out, really liking it.
Secondly: My God, first I've got to download a demo, than I have to install it? Which takes ages? Wtf is up with that

Anyway, back to the game in question. My God it looks amazing. I mean, sure, technically it's no Crysis, but hot damn it looks great. I don't know what kind of techniques they used to make it look so appealing, but I'm really loving it (although I must say I find F.E.A.R 2 (PC version, max settings though) not less appealing, but that's a comparison with a PC game). As for the gameplay; didn't really like the controls at all. R1 shooting? That's not really natural. Same for the cover system, didn't feel good at all. But even with these complaints, I still liked it a lot. Day 1 for sure.

Forsete

Mr. Durden said:
Isn't it supposed to be the lower right trigger, like with every shooter on a console I ever played (don't have a PS3 shooter).

Those are secondary buttons on PS3. Primary would be L1 and R1, the top buttons.
Like it should be.

RockmanWhore said:
But the trigger sucks on the PS3, anyway, I think there's a control scheme with shooting mapped on R2.
Really? could be great, I'll try that.
Forsete said:
Those are secondary buttons on PS3. Primary would be L1 and R1, the top buttons.
Like it should be.
Well that's really subjective. To be honest it's really annoying/unnatural after playing on other consoles for a while.

RPS37

Mr. Durden said:
Really? could be great, I'll try that.

Well that's really subjective. To be honest it's really annoying/unnatural after playing on other consoles for a while.

Play Uncharted.

Leatherface

Guys I want to steal european bandwidth as well. What do I do after creating a PSN europe account? My PS3 won't let me log in with it. :(

Zeliard

Leatherface said:
Guys I want to steal european bandwidth as well. What do I do after creating a PSN europe account? My PS3 won't let me log in with it. :(

Check your PMs in a minute, I'll send you a Gamespot code so you can just use your U.S. account.

Darkpen

Banned
most PS3 games use the R/L1 buttons for shooting, with a few exceptions. To suggest R/L2 for shooting is like suggesting the bumpers on the 360 controller for shooting :S

Darkpen said:
most PS3 games use the R/L1 buttons for shooting, with a few exceptions. To suggest R/L2 for shooting is like suggesting the bumpers on the 360 controller for shooting :S
Not if you have a pair of these:
wZuUVTJhp.jpg

Then it'll all make sense.

I've played the demo now for a ridiculous amount of time, if it was doing the same thing again and again I would have not bothered, the game looks stunning but looks get old eventually, it's the gameplay and damn it's good.

Each play through felt different, thanks to the incredible A.I. I've set my mind on playing the full game on the veteran difficulty, I want to die again and again. :D

Banned
TTP said:
Pretty sure most of the complainers already got past the "laggy" phase and are actually enjoying the game now (as focus testers, QA testers, beta testers and reviewers did). Thing is they are not going to edit their posts to acknowledge this so looking at threads around the internet you get the wrong impression of the current general sentiment on the matter.

I think the ones not liking it went on to enjoy other games. I still don`t like the controls. I tried to adjust but found myself not having any fun at all. Also, Even if it controlled the same as COD4 or WaW I would still not like it. That level was boring.

mujun

i've been mucking round in the demo a bit and i've found a few spots where it seems you can just take potshots at the enemies at your leisure and they'll never really try to shoot back at you preferring to exchange fire with your squad.

sorta took me out of the experience and made things feel sorta of scripted. are there any set trigger points you pass to have the enemies notice you?

Thrakier

CharpyImpact said:
Yep Alternate Controls 2 with Toggle to zoom IS the best settle. I just wish it didn't have the accelerated look control. I had a tough time with farcry 2 because of that.

Ah, no, now there is the far cry 2 comparison. :( I hated the aiming in FC2 and thought it was terrible. And some people here in this thread assured me that it's NOTHING like FC2... :(

mujun

Thrakier said:
Ah, no, now there is the far cry 2 comparison. :( I hated the aiming in FC2 and thought it was terrible. And some people here in this thread assured me that it's NOTHING like FC2... :(

farcry 2 aiming felt terrible imo, felt terrible in instincts also (a pity, apart from that it was one of my favorite fps ever).

this however doesn't feel like that at all if you ask me, i'd say don't worry. it feels nice in terms of acceleration from my time with it.

deepbrown

I now realise that Standard 1 is the best control scheme. Alt 2 is good for the zooming, but to take cover AND zoom it's not great. Stand 1 is the best :)

Goldrusher

Leatherface said:
Create a new user (all the way left on the XMB) to use with your new online account.

Haunted

deepbrown said:
I now realise that Standard 1 is the best control scheme. Alt 2 is good for the zooming, but to take cover AND zoom it's not great. Stand 1 is the best :)
They gimped Alt 2 by not including a certain option.

But yeah, agreed, stand 1 is absolutely fine once you get used to the right stick zoom, (although hold zoom doesn't work that well with it.) No matter what, there's trade-offs to be made with the control schemes. :/

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
played demo for 2nd time today, tad disappointed there wasn't more to discover like separete paths or more weapons to try out, a sniper or flamethrower please?? Incidentally I tried to hold L2 to crouch and L1 to aim at the same time - doesn't work. You can peep with the stick, but you can't zoom unless you let go of crouch. Found that abit weird.

Its a very easy, pedestrian section which means the controls don't get a thorough road test. I definitely don't feel like I will ever be a bad ass at the game like I feel with games like gears of war.

with gears, I can be behind cover, snap up, blow someones head off, snapback down, reload, repeat over and over and you really feel like you've reached a high level of skill and badassery. and it allows me to be a badass without the game being a cakewalk.

I'm not sure that will ever happen here. Even on this super easy seemingly impossible to die section, where it literally feels like a tour through a pretty movie set, the game feels like it will always be a case of cowering behind walls or crates, peeping out when I can and spraying some shots towards the enemy. Hoping I drop them.

Could just be that I suck at FPS, I dunno. Is it the controls, guns used? My skill level?

I definitely need to experiment with the controls some more, I'm not satisfied with the aiming/cover/zoom mechanic. That is essential for guys like me who have a sniper fetish.

-viper-

Banned
kaizoku said:
played demo for 2nd time today, tad disappointed there wasn't more to discover like separete paths or more weapons to try out, a sniper or flamethrower please?? Incidentally I tried to hold L2 to crouch and L1 to aim at the same time - doesn't work. You can peep with the stick, but you can't zoom unless you let go of crouch. Found that abit weird.

Its a very easy, pedestrian section which means the controls don't get a thorough road test. I definitely don't feel like I will ever be a bad ass at the game like I feel with games like gears of war.

with gears, I can be behind cover, snap up, blow someones head off, snapback down, reload, repeat over and over and you really feel like you've reached a high level of skill and badassery. and it allows me to be a badass without the game being a cakewalk.

I'm not sure that will ever happen here. Even on this super easy seemingly impossible to die section, where it literally feels like a tour through a pretty movie set, the game feels like it will always be a case of cowering behind walls or crates, peeping out when I can and spraying some shots towards the enemy. Hoping I drop them.

Could just be that I suck at FPS, I dunno. Is it the controls, guns used? My skill level?

I definitely need to experiment with the controls some more, I'm not satisfied with the aiming/cover/zoom mechanic. That is essential for guys like me who have a sniper fetish.
It's because the best controls for the game are the standard ones, as opposed to the COD4 style controls.

Tieno

kaizoku said:

In the alt 2 scheme they need to map the cover to the X button and make it toggle and zoom (L1) 'hold'. This way it mirrors the standard scheme where zoom is toggle and cover is hold. The way alt 2 is set up now makes it hard to be in cover and still zoom.
If alt2 was set up like that, I'd probably use it over the standard scheme.

Gantz

Banned
The demo took forever to download. The demo was quite disappointing. I wasn't too impressed with the graphics. The gun recoil wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The enemy AI is dumb as bricks. People are blowing their loads over this game? Really? Truly a sign of the times. Anyway I promptly deleted the demo. Another over hyped game I will be passing on.

deepbrown

Haunted said:
They gimped Alt 2 by not including a certain option.

But yeah, agreed, stand 1 is absolutely fine once you get used to the right stick zoom, (although hold zoom doesn't work that well with it.) No matter what, there's trade-offs to be made with the control schemes. :/
In the full game you actually get used to it pretty quickly. Hold zoom doesnt work - but that's also fine.

deepbrown

kaizoku said:

You do feel like a badass - and the cover system is really great with Standard 1. You can do everything you said and more :)

Haunted

Tieno said:
In the alt 2 scheme they need to map the cover to the X button and make it toggle and zoom (L1) 'hold'. This way it mirrors the standard scheme where zoom is toggle and cover is hold. The way alt 2 is set up now makes it hard to be in cover and still zoom.
If alt2 was set up like that, I'd probably use it over the standard scheme.
Well, I'm fine with it on the triggers as long as it's toggle, but they probably should've included a couple more presets. One with crouch on stick, one on triggers, one on the face buttons.

Or just make them mappable and avoid all this bitching.

Ohnuki

While I'm not complaining having stolen euro bandwidth, the 11 hours it took me to download this demo makes me feel shitty when I finished the demo within 5 minutes...

That said, it looks fantastic, it plays well enough(it wasn't a step above other shooters), but I the atmosphere was pretty awesome. Can't wait to get the whole game.

Thrakier

Gantz said:
The demo took forever to download. The demo was quite disappointing. I wasn't too impressed with the graphics. The gun recoil wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The enemy AI is dumb as bricks. People are blowing their loads over this game? Really? Truly a sign of the times. Anyway I promptly deleted the demo. Another over hyped game I will be passing on.

rspct.png

Sorry, that was an obvios one! XD

Nizz

Darkpen said:
This. A thousand times. It pisses me off when devs force the L2/R2 setup on the Dualshock 3. At least have the option like Killzone 2, Far Cry 2 and others to use that setup if you wish, but also go with the more traditional and imo better L1/R1 setup. Anyway, I'm using the Alt 2 setup with K2 and I'm happy. I'm using an additional finger I don't normally use when I play fps games, but I'm used to it now. Plus, the Alt 2 setup for me just works. Hold L1 to zoom, then I use the middle finger to go to cover. :D I also tweaked the horizontal (x) sensitivity up two notches from the default and it feels great. I must have played the demo at least 10-15 times already.

Truant

Since cover is not in MP, Alternative 2 with Hold-Aim seems like the best option there. Standard 1 all the way for single-player.

Truant said:
Since cover is not in MP, Alternative 2 with Hold-Aim seems like the best option there. Standard 1 all the way for single-player.
That's how I'm going to do it, I guess no-cover will make MP far more different, so COD4 style controls should do the trick.

Snowden

Banned
Truant said:
Even without cover, you should be able to easily crouch to steady shots. Holding down L1 and L2 at once would prove uncomfortable to me.

Nizz

CharpyImpact said:
Are you playing at the default sensitivity? If you are, have you tried tweaking it? I also had to adjust to the aiming in Far Cry 2. To me, anything above the default in Far Cry 2 was kinda problematic to me because of pushing on the stick and the movement not seeming to register and then all of a sudden it would kick in. But I don't get that from Killzone 2. After I upped the horizontal sensitivity two notches from default, it feels good. I actually had the sensitivity up a notch higher than that, but what was happening is that since there's little to no aim assist in the game, at the sensitivity I had before I would zoom in on a target, but there was a little too much play going left to right. But at the sensitivity I have now, I still can turn reasonably quick, but I also don't "overaim" my targets.

Played the demo a few times over at my brother's place.

Enjoyable.

Your first instinct on playing is that it feels slow and sluggish both in movement and in aiming. After playing a few times you get use to it although the aiming still feels slow unless you bump up the sensitivity all the way. Sort of surprising to me they would ship on that default sensitivity as it feels frustrating. It's very difficult to kill guys at first almost entirely because of the aiming.

I respect what they are going for. I'm a Call of Duty guy and probably prefer that model for control and movement and aiming but I respect that they were going for something different. There is room enough for both and while I definitely wouldn't want Call of Duty to feel like this there is nothing wrong with having competing models on the market although I'm pretty sure a lot of people will go in unwittingly and be turned off by what Killzone is doing.

Graphics are of course very nice although the lighting on that demo level is overdone imo and perhaps would become annoying if the entire game is filled with that for me. Seems like the multiplayer would be very good though which would be the main draw for me although it's slightly disappointing the cover mechanic is gone in MP.

The Killbots on this forum are one of the more annoying groups to ever grace GAF but that aside if I owned a PS3 I would be excited for the release of this one. The fact that it's slow and tactical to a degree is more a turn on than a turn off for the sort of gamer I am.

To put it in perspective when I played the first Resistance for the first time I never saw what the big deal was and was immediately not overly interested in playing more. That wasn't the case with Killzone.

Future

Stoney Mason said:
To put it in perspective when I played the first Resistance for the first time I never saw what the big deal was and was immediately not overly interested in playing more. That wasn't the case with Killzone.

This is on a whole other level above Resistance IMO. Insomniac has some work to do if they are gonna continue pumping out sequels

dejan

Reading some comments here and realizing that increasing the sensitivity settings was the wrong way to go for me I played the demo yet again, but this time I actually toned the sensitivity down a notch and as weird as it sounds it was definitely an improvement. Sure, movement and aiming speeds are even slower, but the actual aiming is easier for me now. Went on to replay parts of the demo several times and yeah .... feels good now. :D

Jtrizzy

I'm liking this very much after a number of play throughs. I do wish they would patch in fully mappable controls with toggle crouch as well. I moved up the sensitivity sliders and it feels like a shooter to me...I've never played a game where I didn't adjust them a little, so I think it's kind of silly how people are complaining about that.

MechDX

Darkpen said:

SCrew the trigger ad ons. Get this:

41es7X2BY%2BL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Offset analogs and real triggers.

Top Bottom