• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 @ E3 2008 - ONLINE Revealed

"It’s also a pretty uninspired visual treat. It looks fantastic, for what it is, but what it is, is a wasteland environment. Everything looks drab and dead, arid and cold. Areas are predominantly grey with very little life in sight – hell; even your soldiers and the Helghast are all colourless in design. I know it’s meant to be a war zone on another planet, but it doesn’t really wanna make me fight if the world around you isn’t worth fighting for. "

:lol :lol

"It’s also a pretty uninspired visual treat. It looks fantastic, for what it is, but what it is, is a wasteland environment. Everything looks drab and dead, arid and cold. Areas are predominantly grey with very little life in sight – hell; even your soldiers and the Helghast are all colourless in design. I know it’s meant to be a war zone on another planet, but it doesn’t really wanna make me fight if the world around you isn’t worth fighting for. "

x10!

andycapps

Always-honest said:
yeah, but this is the dumbest thing i read:

It's like they don't know that this doesn't take place on the ISA's home planet... It's also like they don't know that the reason why everything is "drab and dead" is from all the radiation and other environmental issues. Or did they not play Killzone 1...

andycapps said:
It's like they don't know that this doesn't take place on the ISA's home planet... It's also like they don't know that the reason why everything is "drab and dead" is from all the radiation and other environmental issues. Or did they not play Killzone 1...

yeah, it's emberrassing.

fanboi

Banned
Aussie gamer lolz said:

The person writing this mus be very bitter...
_44914435_-11.jpg

greepoman

What I find weird is all the screenshots, previews, etc. are from that one level. Am I missing something? I thought they said they could've released this in November if they wanted to...you'd think they would've thrown out some new stuff if it was really this close to being done.

deepbrown

greepoman said:
What I find weird is all the screenshots, previews, etc. are from that one level. Am I missing something? I thought they said they could've released this in November if they wanted to...you'd think they would've thrown out some new stuff if it was really this close to being done.
Or maybe, they want people to see it when they buy the game and not see it in internet previews

thuway

deepbrown said:
Or maybe, they want people to see it when they buy the game and not see it in internet previews

This.

I hate it when I buy a game and the surprises the game had in store are no where to be found. Kojima did a good job with MGS4 and hiding all the environments.

deepbrown said:

I agree I have a feeling they are holding back some really awesome stuff and when we all get a chance to play through the game it will be epic.

deepbrown said:

yeah, i loved how almost everyhting in MGS4 was a surprise to me.
Though i do share the fear of repetetive levels. So fa we can only hope for variaton in the level design. But i'm sure Guerilla is aware of what needs to happen to make this game truelly great.

RiverBed

Banned
mission accomplished. that is exactly what GG wants from the game to make the player feel and see. the people complaining about the xact same thing sure as hell noticed it but didn't get it.

SSM25

How come some people think KZ2 should take place in candyland??, this type of criticism also applies to a few other war games and I don't see many people complaing about them >:/

GodofWine

SSM25 said:
How come some people think KZ2 should take place in candyland??, this type of criticism also applies to a few other war games and I don't see many people complaing about them >:/

Right on. How many war scenes that you see on the news are set in a place that looks like Disney World??? none.

Iraq - Beige / Brown...all Beige / Brown
Russian / Georgian conflict - Grey / Green (does the sun ever shine there? :lol )
Afghanistan - Dirt colors
WWII - Greys / drab earth tones....
Any major city is basically all gray...

Blah blah blah, buy it. :D

zoukka

Sorry but no. War doesn't magically change the world in to grey/brown.

erna053.jpg

I'm not complaining about anything but you guys have been playing these monochromatic shooters for too long. Helghast home planet might be a justified example of less colour, because isn't it wrecked by radiation/natural disasters?

Negaiido

zoukka said:

erna053.jpg

I'm not complaining about anything but you guys have been playing these monochromatic shooters for too long. Helghast home planet might be a justified example of less colour, because isn't it wrecked by radiation/natural disasters?

It's a G A M E

Negaiido said:
It's a G A M E

Agree.

But you know how some people are they want the game so real,that after you die once on the game the game becomes worthless and it has to be trow it away, since the main character that you use was kill.:lol

zoukka said:

erna053.jpg

The picture you've shown is just green and brown, the environment is trees and dirt, and the soldiers are blending in with the environment. The environment in Killzone (what we've seen) is an industrial, concrete city and the soldiers/enemies are blending in with the environment.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
zoukka said:

erna053.jpg

:lol :lol :lol

this nice green Picture would turn Gray/Brown in no time in heavy combat.

Modern Weapons literally affect the enviroment, cuz they shake the very ground you walking on, constantly kicking up dust and everything that can float.

so yes, eventually War is gray and brown

zoukka

My god this is a hornet nest.

First some dude says that KZ lacks colour because real war is like that. Then it's just a G.A.M.E.

And I did say KZ isn't the big offender here. Read the posts poeple.

so yes, eventually War is gray and brown...

And blue and green.

GodofWine

Zedsdeadbaby said:
The funny thing is, you just -know- there will be forest levels in the game that has a chance to absolutely make everyone shut up.

Not me...I'll say "Too colorful!!!!" ;)

Im looking forward to the Leipzig hands on demos for this. I think after Madden and LBP, Im holding off on all games till this. (Christmas can fill in where I let off for MS2)

andycapps

Zedsdeadbaby said:
The funny thing is, you just -know- there will be forest levels in the game that has a chance to absolutely make everyone shut up.

I think it's still going to be stylized with a lot of post-processing going on, but yeah I think we're going to see different colors later in the game. But if everyone is expecting Uncharted like colors from this, they're looking in the wrong place. It has no place in the KZ universe and I hope they don't listen to those of you asking for bright colors.

Forsete

travisbickle said:
The picture you've shown is just green and brown, the environment is trees and dirt, and the soldiers are blending in with the environment. The environment in Killzone (what we've seen) is an industrial, concrete city and the soldiers/enemies are blending in with the environment.

But teh concrate can has colour too!

Look hur!

800px-Biggie_grafitti.jpg

UNF UNF UNF!

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
zoukka said:

First some dude says that KZ lacks colour because real war is like that. Then it's just a G.A.M.E.

And blue and green.

Hesus christ you cant ..., lemme be more specific

all the dust that eventually gets in the air will give the surrounding atmosphere a gray or brown tone, Not PURE brown or gray. but things will look dull. even the Sky and Trees

h3ro

typhonsentra said:
Same people falling over themselves to praise Fallout are calling Killzone gray?

Teddy bear bazooka, dude. Teddy bear bazooka.

I think the aesthetic looks awesome, love the look of the game. Art is such a subjective thing that I'm not really paying attention to what others think, I trust my eyes.... The complaints about the controls however, those do worry me... hopefully they get that ironed out.

zoukka

Eh I have been near a site that was used for detonation practice in the army. And the air and the trees were most definately not grey or brown. I know what you mean basically but it takes a long concentrated artillery fire to totally spray everything with sand/dust. It's just a style thing in games really.

Desert combat is a whole different story naturally.

Same people falling over themselves to praise Fallout are calling Killzone gray?

Where?

zoukka said:

And blue and green.

Whenever I hear "it's all grey/brown/dull" I think of a smudgy mess, like in parts of turok on the N64, where you can't tell what's going on. Whereas what I've seen of killzone, the attention to detail, and the amazing use of subtle colour differences, you can tell what everything is on the screen even distant objects.

Look at some of the screens from the Aus review site.

2d27jf7.jpg

Even though this image is using shades of grey, you can see all the details on the guys uniform, look at the belt, and you are able to tell the shape of the structures in the distance. It's an amazing use of colour, whereas on these "previews" lack of colour is seen as negative, I'd say how great it is how much you are able to distinguish even though they were limited to a colour palette in order to create the atmosphere they wanted.

andycapps

zoukka said:
Eh I have been near a site that was used for detonation practice in the army. And the air and the trees were most definately not grey or brown. I know what you mean basically but it takes a long concentrated artillery fire to totally spray everything with sand/dust. It's just a style thing in games really.

Are you aware of the KZ story and how the Helghast home planet has numerous environmental issues that have scarred the Helghast and made their entire planet have electrical storms, be constantly overcast, etc? At least there is reasoning behind why the game looks the way it does.

Criticize lack of colors all you want in the level shown thus far, but there is a reason why it looks the way it does and it's called design choice.

zoukka

Like I fucking said. KZ isn't the game where the lack of colour is critical.

Still that image you posted... it's almost 100% monochrome! Just the eyes are non-grey. And yes personally I'd like some more colour here and there.

EDIT: I'm not responding to anyone anymore unless you read my posts. This is fucking ridicilous.

typhonsentra said:

Don't forget Gears of War. Go into that thread and count how many people complain about too brown (and Killzones first shown level is very similar) than multiply it by 2.2 million and thats how many say that about killzone.

Lion Heart said:
Don't forget Gears of War. Go into that thread and count how many people complain about too brown (and Killzones first shown level is very similar) than multiply it by 2.2 million and thats how many say that about killzone.

Is people nit picking here and there i actually don't care,the color palette a game has i care about the game been good,there are tons of games with great looking colors that suck bad.

gantz85

Banned
zoukka said:
Like I fucking said. KZ isn't the game where the lack of colour is critical.

Still that image you posted... it's almost 100% monochrome! Just the eyes are non-grey. And yes personally I'd like some more colour here and there.

EDIT: I'm not responding to anyone anymore unless you read my posts. This is fucking ridicilous.

=_= The player is injured and is dying; hence the color drain from the screen. This is in the earlier trailers. Don't be a pussy drama bitch and man up.

nib95

Banned
andycapps said:

I also like how the previewer plays ignorant to that fact that the shooter he keeps praising (COD4) is also pretty much different shades of brown, grey or green. Seriously, some journalists are just too transparent. The guy almost sounds like a forum poster.

zoukka

gantz85 said:
=_= The player is injured and is dying; hence the color drain from the screen. This is in the earlier trailers. Don't be a pussy drama bitch and man up.

Drama bitch. Me? In this thread :lol

And I didn't know about the dude dying in that shot doh.

KZObsessed

If you played the first Killzone, you either loved it or hated it, which means you're either a PlayStation fanboy (or girl), or not.

Killzone 2 looks damn impressive – this much I cannot deny, however, there’s very little here in the way of imagination....That said, I did only play through a single level.

it could be a Call of Duty killer on the PSN.

All eyes are most definitely on this “Halo Killer”

Christ... how do people like this get hired?

zoukka

nib95 said:
I also like how the previewer plays ignorant to that fact that the shooter he keeps praising (COD4) is also pretty much different shades of brown, grey or green. Seriously, some journalists are just too transparent. The guy almost sounds like a forum poster.

You make it sound like the man didn't like what he saw.

Killzone 2 looks damn impressive

it does look fantastic for what it is.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
zoukka said:
Drama bitch. Me? In this thread :lol

And I didn't know about the dude dying in that shot doh.

Dude go back just a page or 2 and watch how bad they absolutely jumped down my throat. If you say ANYTHING even slightly negative, or even in your case I'm pretty sure you weren't being negative, they flip out.

You guys are just putting up damage control and once again I hate to say it, but it's definitely something to be at least a little nervous about. Yeah there are plenty of other levels and lets hope that those are amazing, which is what I really want for this game. So far though there have been quite a bit of negative previews for this one. And everytime the same thing happens. You either laugh about it or discredit it. It's not a anti-sony anti-killzone conspiracy.

Dever

Banned
zoukka said:

http://www.pirmrt.org/datavee/kuvat/erna053.jpg

Yes, yes it is. It's also ruled by space nazis who really can't be bothered to make their surroundings look nice, so making the game colourful and happy wouldn't make sense in the canon. Besides, there's still plenty of contrast such as the blue lights on the ISA soldiers and the red goggles.

msdstc said:
Dude go back just a page or 2 and watch how bad they absolutely jumped down my throat. If you say ANYTHING even slightly negative, or even in your case I'm pretty sure you weren't being negative, they flip out.

You guys are just putting up damage control and once again I hate to say it, but it's definitely something to be at least a little nervous about. Yeah there are plenty of other levels and lets hope that those are amazing, which is what I really want for this game. So far though there have been quite a bit of negative previews for this one. And everytime the same thing happens. You either laugh about it or discredit it. It's not a anti-sony anti-killzone conspiracy.

In you case i think you were complaining about the same thing to much,it was the AI if i am not mistaken.

zoukka said:

But you're not listening to what people are saying.

The picture you've posted of "real life" battle, take out the sky and what have you got, GREEN, different shades of green, but still just fucking green; green environment (trees, plants, grass, vegetation) green uniforms (hats, shirts, trousers, boots) you've got a green fuckin' stretcher.

Now look at the picture of Killzone you criticize for not being "real life", it's grey like your pic is green but you can distinguish everything by the subtle differences in shading, that's REALISM, the soldiers get given clothing and equipment that fits best with the environment, but due to the attetion to detail in killzone every part of his uniform looks different, they're not painting the guy grey. Same with the environment it's grey because it's some industrial waste land, but they don't paint everything the same grey, it's all highly detailed and easily definable. Uncharted didn't look good because it was green, it looked good because it was highly detailed and used shades of colour to create a very realistic World.

I've just seen you're using the back-handed compliments from the review as arguements that the writer's a good guy. Yep, that's good trolling tactics.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Forsete said:
msdstc is getting a tummy ache from lack of colours now? Seriously? Wow.

I'll send you a million dollars if you can point out where I said that in my post. I like the graphics/color pallete, and everything so keep your fanboy bullshit to yourself.

Tormentoso said:
In you case i think you were complaining about the same thing to much,it was the AI if i am not mistaken.

The thing is I wasn't complaining too much. You sony ninjas crawled out the woodwork, and the sane people were able to hear me out. What I had said was and read this closely in case you don't get it.

"The AI was not looking too good if that's how it is set to normal"(this was about the gamersyde video). Turns out the floor demo was turned down I was nervous due to conflicting reports, but now I'm happy.

Your theory on this however, was that I couldn't find anything wrong with the game so I had to "nit pick"(or nip picking is how you worded it) through all the little things to find a problem. Considering AI is just about the most important aspect I'm pretty sure I wasn't Nit picking. I want this game to be great, get it straight.

Top Bottom