• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - input lag now? if you want a reskinned COD4, go play WaW

Status
Not open for further replies.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Picture116.jpg

Picture119.jpg

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I don't wanna gorge on too many videos and spoil myself, but...

.. this is a painting come to life, for sure. Holy crap!

Cerberus

Corrupt said:

Good preview. I've seen some people asking about this so I'll quote it.

Arjan mentioned that every composite that is rendered within the game is placed solely upon the SPUs to lock in the framerate at a solid 30 FPS. During small battles, one or two SPUs will pick up a majority of the action, but during heavy firefights with large explosions and numerous characters onscreen, all six SPUs will pick up the load and balance everything accurately. Surprisingly, even within the heaviest firefight onscreen, Arjan pointed out that the largest load on each one of the SPUs didn't exceed 60%, which ensured that the framerate remained consistent throughout the game.

Raist

Banned
IGN said:
During small battles, one or two SPUs will pick up a majority of the action, but during heavy firefights with large explosions and numerous characters onscreen, all six SPUs will pick up the load and balance everything accurately. Surprisingly, even within the heaviest firefight onscreen, Arjan pointed out that the largest load on each one of the SPUs didn't exceed 60%, which ensured that the framerate remained consistent throughout the game

:O

edit : lulz beaten by a few millisecs

Loudninja

Mathijs pointed out that there were about 15 different kinds of Helghast troops, not counting end bosses, all of which have different kinds of tactics that they'll use in battle.

Thats a nice variety.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
JB1981 said:
That's your opinion. These guys espoused the benefits of post processing throughout development, dedicated events to it (invited the press etc.) And now they all of a sudden had an artistic change of heart?! Doesn't sound like an art decision to me - sounds like they needed to tighten up performance and the post-processing is what had to go. Based on the development history, that appears to be the only logical conclusion one can draw.
>_<

I'm so inured to people playing amateur developer on this board that it just becomes noise, but I'm going to make a very visible exception in your case.

If you don't know, weren't there, don't do it for a living - sit down, quietly eat your sandwich and spare us your 'logical' conclusions. I don't have the patience.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Cerberus said:
Good preview. I've seen some people asking about this so I'll quote it.

I think IGN kind of mangled the info slightly there, but it's safe to say that this is maybe the first game that really demonstrates what cell can bring to the table in terms of visual contribution and the visual behaviour of a scene.

They should open it up as a case study for every ps3 developer, make sure the benefit of their invesment here is dispersed as widely as possible.

Eric

FYI the preview build came with a PDF giving some hints as to which parts of the game were still being worked on. I am sure this is no exhaustive list but I thought I'd share it with you (I don't think websites published it, I didn't on PlayFrance) :

Known Issues

As Killzone2 is work-in-progress and still needs to go through Quality Assurance, the
Killzone 2 Single Player Preview Code does not accurately represent the final retail copy
of Killzone 2. These elements will be remedied for the final Game. Game elements which
are still under development may have been omitted or included in an un-optimized,
placeholder state. These include the following elements:

- Game Intro cinematic, in which the backstory is further explained, is not yet
available.
- Front/end menu designs are placeholder and will be replaced.
- Loading screen content missing. This will display various elements such as
gameplay tactics as well as background on the main cast.
- Dialog / Voice acting - The voice samples for both the Buddies and Helghast are
place holder.
- Cut-scenes have not gone through final polish in visual effects, sound effect,
facial animations and syncing voices
- Several Character Animation glitches can be spotted, most noticeably during
transitions.
- In some rare cases enemies or buddies can create progression issues. Try
Restart Checkpoint from the Pause menu to continue.
- Pay attention to the buddy and objectives in cases where the Direction finder (dpad
UP) system isn't implemented correctly yet.
- Volume balancing for sound effects, music and voices has not been completed
for this version, resulting in louder than normal speech or sound effects as well
as audio cutting out. Suggested setting in the Options / Sound menu:
music=100%, speech=80%, sound effects=70%
- Brightness settings are not yet balanced for all screens - The option menu has a
brightness setting that can be adjusted to overcome overly dark areas.
- Ragdoll issues might occur when many explosions are triggered.
- The Lighting setup of the Suljeva Village mission is unfinished.

Ploid 3.0

I'm so happy right now. ATM I have more game than I can spend quality time with, and I have so much to look froward to. If sony is really hurting, I'm thankfull they ar taking this bullet for little ole me. I don't even want to believe GOW3 looking better than, or on par as this. I hope David Jaffe saw KZ2 and really mean what he said. I can believe it looks like a painting. Either way, it is all win win for me. Good times.

mr_nothin

Banned
Eric said:
FYI the preview build came with a PDF giving some hints as to which parts of the game were still being worked on. I am sure this is no exhaustive list but I thought I'd share it with you (I don't think websites published it, I didn't on PlayFrance) :
Known Issues

As Killzone2 is work-in-progress and still needs to go through Quality Assurance, the
Killzone 2 Single Player Preview Code does not accurately represent the final retail copy
of Killzone 2. These elements will be remedied for the final Game. Game elements which
are still under development may have been omitted or included in an un-optimized,
placeholder state. These include the following elements:

- Game Intro cinematic, in which the backstory is further explained, is not yet
available.
- Front/end menu designs are placeholder and will be replaced.
- Loading screen content missing. This will display various elements such as
gameplay tactics as well as background on the main cast.
- Dialog / Voice acting - The voice samples for both the Buddies and Helghast are
place holder.

- Cut-scenes have not gone through final polish in visual effects, sound effect,
facial animations and syncing voices

- Several Character Animation glitches can be spotted, most noticeably during
transitions.

- In some rare cases enemies or buddies can create progression issues. Try
Restart Checkpoint from the Pause menu to continue.
- Pay attention to the buddy and objectives in cases where the Direction finder (dpad
UP) system isn't implemented correctly yet.
- Volume balancing for sound effects, music and voices has not been completed
for this version, resulting in louder than normal speech or sound effects as well
as audio cutting out. Suggested setting in the Options / Sound menu:
music=100%, speech=80%, sound effects=70%

- Brightness settings are not yet balanced for all screens - The option menu has a
brightness setting that can be adjusted to overcome overly dark areas.
- Ragdoll issues might occur when many explosions are triggered.
- The Lighting setup of the Suljeva Village mission is unfinished.

What will people bitch about next?
:lol
That lists just about everything except for that plaza.

Killzowned ONCE AGAIN.
Cutscenes arent even looking their best D: and people are talking about they downgraded. They look better than before, as is.

fanboi

Banned
bishoptl said:
>_<

I'm so inured to people playing amateur developer on this board that it just becomes noise, but I'm going to make a very visible exception in your case.

If you don't know, weren't there, don't do it for a living - sit down, quietly eat your sandwich and spare us your 'logical' conclusions. I don't have the patience.

Oh oh...

JB1981 = Death watch list :|

Corrupt

Eric said:
Fantastic. I see no plans to bring back Mr. Fucking Convoy's original look though :(

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Christ... I honestly don't see how GoW III can look better than this. But I guess we'll find out on the 14th.

sykoex said:
Christ... I honestly don't see how GoW III can look better than this. But I guess we'll find out on the 14th.

I think GOW3 will have the tech specs of KZ2 with a bit more artistic push especially with color usage.

Either way, they'll both be pretty games.

Irnbru

Norml said:
Love the ground at this spot.

http://i36.tinypic.com/1z2osvc.pn/IMG]
[IMG]http://i35.tinypic.com/2qb7sqc.png/IMG]

The charging handle animation is cool also.
[IMG]http://i37.tinypic.com/2gsit6v.png/IMG][/QUOTE]

God damn, just look at that hand in the third picture.

Wait so the beach landing in Welcome has replaced the old E3 07 landing where they get shot out of the sky with the amazing flame effects, rain, wind, etc? I've only watched the beginning of this vid and while it looks incredible, but it seems like it's lost "something" I'm just wondering if that e3 07 demonstration got completely replaced.

Irnbru

VindicatorZ said:
Wait so the beach landing in Welcome has replaced the old E3 07 landing where they get shot out of the sky with the amazing flame effects, rain, wind, etc? I've only watched the beginning of this vid and while it looks incredible, but it seems like it's lost "something" I'm just wondering if that e3 07 demonstration got completely replaced.

Gotta wait for Mr.F**king Convoy. Be patient, you'll get there :D

JCreasy

Yeah his freaking hand is amazing. I was just about to say that. I will play this game over and over again just to savor all the details.

GG, PLEASE BRING BACK THE ORIGINAL MR FUCKING CONVOY

PLEASE

PLEASE

PLEASE

He was fast becoming my favorite character. His bright red hair made him stand out and stick in my mind. His beard made him look scruffy and badass. His mean muggin expression made him look like a straight brawler, like he'd slap the shit out of marcus fenix if he tried to step up.

Everyone loved the original look of Mister Fucking Convoy. There was no reason to change him. Make him awesome again PLEEEAAASEEE!

Are Hahka and the spy chick from KZ1 going to be in this game? I know you won't get to play as them (which is too bad), but it would be cool to to have Sean Pertwee back. The first game had mostly great voice acting. I haven't really been watching clips or reading in-depth info... I'm going in dry, I want this game to blow my fucking face off in February.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
VindicatorZ said:
Both entries are in the game, they're different levels.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I don't understand how on forums like QT3 or 1UP they act like this game doesn't even exist. It's just really confusing to me.

Ploid 3.0

I wonder if 1up bothered to make a preview. I kinda just want to hear their thoughts again. Maybe Ellis adjusted to the new game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom