• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - input lag now? if you want a reskinned COD4, go play WaW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here you go
The Best Bits of Killzone 2
Five reasons why Guerrilla's battle-hardened shooter will dominate PS3 next month.
by Alex Simmons, IGN UK

UK, January 14, 2009 - After years of anticipation we've finally played the final code for Killzone 2 through from start to finish. Naturally, there's a lot of stuff we're not yet able to talk about, due to heavy restrictions from Sony, but also because we don't want to spoil the game for you. However, what we can say is that PlayStation 3 owners are in for a treat come February, with Guerrilla's much-hyped shooter promising to blow all other PS3 FPSes out of the water. Here's why:

Eye-Popping Presentation
Not convinced Killzone 2 will live up to that E3 demo? Wait until you see it in action. Seriously, Killzone 2 is without doubt the best-looking game on PlayStation 3, boasting some of the best effects and use of lighting we've seen not just on Sony's console but anywhere. From the familiar opening scenes as you drop down onto Helghan, cutting through the smoke clouds to leave trails of vapour in your wake, to an explosive climax that's guaranteed to set forums alight with heated discussion, Killzone 2 is a game guaranteed to impress from start to finish.

Killzone 2 is an assault on your senses from start to finish.

Whether you're trudging through the run-down shanty town of Suljeva village or creeping along the corridors of Visari's grandiose palace in the Helghan capital of Pyrrhus, every new level presents countless jaw-dropping moments when you sit back and take it all in. It's not simply the scale of it all either – although there are moments when Guerilla really likes to show it can do things big – but more to do with the attention to detail. Indeed, there's a real sense of grittiness to the game, that there really is a war going on around you, whether it's the once-grand cities of Helghan scarred by relentless shelling or vistas plagued by countless plumes of black smoke billowing from fires across the battlefield.

The weather adds a real atmosphere to the game too, with barren landscapes battered by strong winds carrying dust and debris and bolts of lightning cutting like daggers through the blackened skies. It's an impressive assault on your senses, especially if you're playing through a rig hooked up to surround sound. The constant thud of distant explosions and the whoosh of bullets cutting through the air in Dolby 7.1 is often enough to make you duck for cover, even though you're playing from the comfort of your living room.

Blood-Pumping Gameplay
There's never a quiet moment in Killzone – if you don't like the crack of gunfire then this simply isn't the game for you. However, if you find gut-wrenchingly visceral action to die for there's nothing better on PlayStation 3. From initial skirmishes with Helghast resistance to full-blown wars against innumerable waves of enemies, Killzone 2 quickly shifts into top gear and never eases off the throttle.

To play, Killzone 2 sits somewhere between Call of Duty and Gears of War 2. The pace of the game is very much full-on, much like Gears, but it's not quite so epic in scale and has more in common with Call of Duty in terms of mission objectives – you don't have to blow your way out of a giant worm or ride a beast into battle, but overturning Helghast encampments and punching through enemy lines is very much the order of the day. The cover system isn't quite so forgiving as Gears' and if you duck behind a low barricade you'll still expose yourself to fire, meaning you've got to choose your resting points carefully, especially when Helghast troops are clever enough to attempt to outflank you.

Importantly, it's all superbly balanced, presenting enough of a challenge to ensure you won't breeze through the entire game without breaking sweat but still throwing in a number of solid battles that require you to use your noodle as much as your trigger finger.

Tools of Destruction
On paper the weapons in Killzone 2 are unlikely to cause excitement – the assault rifle is standard issue, the choice of automatic pistol or the powerful revolver is nothing new, there's an SMG, grenade launcher, rocket launcher... It's all stuff you've played around with for years, but what Killzone gets right is that each weapon feels perfect to use. For example, the dot sight on the machinegun makes it reassuringly quick to get a bead on the enemy, while hitting an enemy square in the chest with the shotgun results in a satisfying scream as they're knocked off their feet.

The Arc cannon makes light work of Helghast troops - and you, if you get on the wrong end of it.

There are two standout weapons of note though, the first being the flamethrower. It's ideal for flushing out enemies hiding in dark corners of the slums, torching the cover they're lurking behind until they're eventually engulfed in flame. Make sure you finish the job properly though, as while a quick blast is enough to stop them from attacking you a little longer, only a more thorough roasting will prevent them from dragging their burning bodies up off the ground. Beware Helghast carrying flamethrowers too, because it's just as deadly in the hands of an enemy as smart as they are.

The Arc cannon is without doubt our favourite weapon in the game, although it's hard to find. It spits out streams of lightning that instantly paralyse its targets, causing them to shake and jerk uncontrollably as their bodies are consumed by thousands of volts of electricity. A second blast quickly seals their fate, leaving behind a sparking, smoking corpse – and of course any weapons they're carrying, which you can then nab.

There are countless additional weapons scattered around each level too, from gun turrets to anti-aircraft cannons you can turn on the advancing army. You're also given the chance to play around with some really seriously military hardware, but we'll let you discover that for yourself when you play the game.

Killer AI
The normal reaction to being shot at is to dive for cover, so why is it that most video game bad guys will quite happily stand in the open and soak up bullets before slumping to the ground in a bloody mess seconds later? Not so in Killzone 2, where the Helghast actively hide behind available cover, where they'll pop out to rattle off a shot or, if it's getting too heated, fire blindly to minimise the chances of taking a bullet. But what's really clever is the way they react to how you play: for example, lob in a grenade and they'll run into the open and risk being shot rather than face certain doom when the pineapple explodes in the face. Similarly, rather than pop out of cover at exactly the same point every time, they'll keep moving around to prevent you from training your sights on one area and blowing their brains out the moment they stand up to take a shot.

The Helghast are smarter than most enemies you've encountered before.

What's more, the Helghast will also work as a team, with heavy weapons troops sitting back and laying down a wall of fire while light infantry close for the kill. All too often we focused our fire on heavy machine-gunners in the distance, only to succumb to a grunt who'd sneaked round the side and lumped us with the butt of his rifle. Clever.

It's a shame then that your team-mates aren't quite so smart and often stand out in the open rather than fire from behind cover. True, when they're alive they draw fire away from your sorry arse, but all too often the only thing they contribute to a battle is the pathetic cry of 'Help me!'.

Monster Multiplayer
We admit we're a bit disappointed there's no co-op mode to get stuck into, but Killzone 2's Warzone multiplayer mode is a gem in its own right. It's much more than a straightforward deathmatch too, although the option to play a basic 32-player scrap is certainly included. Multiplayer staples such as Capture and Hold, Assassination and Search and destroy are all in there too, but given their own Killzone 2 twist.

ISA and Helghast multiplayer classes from left to right: engineer; medic; scout; infantry; assault; tactician; saboteur.

What makes Killzone's multiplayer stand out are the seven player types available to both ISA and Helghast forces. Initially you're only able to play as the bog-standard infantryman with a choice of just a couple of weapons, but the more you play the more badges and ranks you earn, which enables you to select different character classes such as a medic, heavy weapon trooper and so on. Each class is gifted with unique skills, so engineers can set up automated turrets to protect objectives, scouts have active camouflage that makes them difficult to spot and tacticians can call in air support in the shape of ATACs, flying drones kitted out with miniguns. Players are therefore encouraged to put in as much time in multiplayer as possible, because you're able to mix and match skills rather than forced to only play as one specific class.

Importantly, even if you're a rookie with no experience Killzone 2's multiplayer is a cinch to pick up and play. The basic arsenal is decent enough to stand up against the big weapons provided you've got a steady aim, plus there's always the option of nicking a better weapon from the still-warm corpse of a downed enemy. Alternatively, hone your skills in the Skirmish mode, which serves up the same experience as playing online, only against bots. As you improve you'll climb up the online leaderboard, which frequently dishes out additional rewards and badges to the most outstanding players.

AndyD

aka andydumi
TTP said:
Funny thing is I have the KZ2 press kit right here that could easily work as a nice CE.

Can you post some pics of what it looks like?

So far, the best press kit I have seen is the Wipeout HD one...

bad10

Banned
AzRim904 said:
if someone can copy it so I can read it at work... thaaaank you

Five reasons why Guerrilla's battle-hardened shooter will dominate PS3 next month.

Eye-Popping Presentation

+

Blood-Pumping Gameplay

+

Tools of Destruction

+

Killer AI

+

Monster Multiplayer

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
GarthVaderUK said:
Yup, the review has been confirmed over on GRcade too. It's a very positive review overall apparently, 9/10, they complain about a difficulty spike and the finale being a "major anticlimax", and they mention something about brief screen freezing/loading pauses.
Their 2008 game of the year is MGS4 BTW.

makes me sad :(

IGN UK said:
It's a shame then that your team-mates aren't quite so smart and often stand out in the open rather than fire from behind cover. True, when they're alive they draw fire away from your sorry arse, but all too often the only thing they contribute to a battle is the pathetic cry of 'Help me!'.

whaaaaaaaaaaaat ?

Sounds good though.

No45

No45 said:
Nope, and I'm not expecting it for a week or so yet (Came on the 23rd last month) so I'd take this as a leak/rumour.
That'll serve me right to post before checking to see whether my copy is at home!

FirewalkR

cjtiger300 said:
For some reason I read that as review, lol! I was thinking, only 2 pages? I can't wait to see what this sucker scores on some of the sites that gave GTA IV 10.

Oh that's easy. Less than 10.

IGN seems to be gearing up for a 9.x. It'll be "funny" though, they gave R2 a what... 9.5 right? We shall see now...

Fizzle

What's the name of all the online multiplayer modes?

Body Count = Team Deathmatch.

Search and Destroy = ...Search and Destroy.

Warzone = A collection of all the modes mixed?

Fizzle

FirewalkR said:

IGN seems to be gearing up for a 9.x. It'll be "funny" though, they gave R2 a what... 9.5 right? We shall see now...

I know! That's like 0.5 from perfection! That's too much for any game!

AndyD

aka andydumi
FirewalkR said:

I hope its less than 10.

A 9.x is what virtually all top games deserve. Whenever I see a 10 and there is a 9.x scale available, I almost immediately get suspicious.

Not saying its not a great game, just that if they acknowledge faults with a 9.x score, its almost like they legitimize the review by saying "Look, we looked at everything, we liked the good, we acknowledge the bad, and this is what we got" as opposed to a 10 and the review still says "we found some good, some bad... and we still gave it the 10 for no real reason".

k79

Banned
Great preview by IGN. As if i wasn't hyped enough already.

Anyways, back to gif whoring, here's a start :

14oh7o.gif

DeZimatoR

Banned
Fizzle said:
What's the name of all the online multiplayer modes?

Body Count = Team Deathmatch.

Search and Destroy = ...Search and Destroy.

Warzone = A collection of all the modes mixed?

+

Search and Retrieve (CTF), Assassination and Capture and Hold (think Domination in CoD4)

And yeah, Warzone is what you described. I think its curious that there is no regular Deathmatch mode though (AFAIK). Usually all FPS' have that...doesn't bother me though, because I never play Deathmatch.

Fizzle said:
I know! That's like 0.5 from perfection! That's too much for any game!

10 doesn't necessarily = perfection. Although I think sites give 10's way too easily nowadays (*cough* GTA IV *cough*)

AndyD said:
I hope its less than 10.

A 9.x is what virtually all top games deserve. Whenever I see a 10 and there is a 9.x scale available, I almost immediately get suspicious.

Not saying its not a great game, just that if they acknowledge faults with a 9.x score, its almost like they legitimize the review by saying "Look, we looked at everything, we liked the good, we acknowledge the bad, and this is what we got" as opposed to a 10 and the review still says "we found some good, some bad... and we still gave it the 10 for no real reason".

10 doesn't mean flawlessly perfect though. It would mean the absolute best the genre has to offer.

mr_nothin

Banned
Zedsdeadbaby said:
Hate to be a downer on things, but people should remember that Killzone 1 was a shit game.
:lol
Go back to Before the later half of 2008 dude

jokie joke, BLACK GUY IN FFXIII LOL it's awesome

traveler

Not Wario
Given the context of his post, I assume he was trying to warn those looking to replay the 1st before the 2nd rather than just beat a dead horse.

And the review talk in here is atrocious. WTF guys?

____

traveler said:
Given the context of his post, I assume he was trying to warn those looking to replay the 1st before the 2nd rather than just beat a dead horse.

And the review talk in here is atrocious. WTF guys?

Oh. But even so...the opinion that it was a "shit" game was only shared by some.

DeZimatoR

Banned
Zedsdeadbaby said:
Hate to be a downer on things, but people should remember that Killzone 1 was a shit game.

I wouldn't say its shit..its decent/good. It had its (obvious) shortcomings but overall it was still enjoyable (at least to me). It has aged quite badly though...such unstable framerate and crap AI aren't easy to ignore. Offline splitscreen with bots is still fun to play IMO.

If GAF is up for it though, I'll replay Killzone 1. I never got around to finishing it back in the day anway...

Doc Evils

Official Xbox 360 Magazine Preview :lol (I shit you not)

Being an office of many magazines, we all get to see the big competitor games when they come in. So, in the past year, between all the 360 love, well, we’ve seen LittleBigPlanet. And that’s about it. 2009 is already shaping up to be a little more varied though, and it began today when I noticed Killzone 2 preview code casually sitting on a desk in our sister magazine Play’s work area.

Naturally, I asked for it to be put on, and twenty minutes of beautiful, gritty, heavy gunplay later, I’m back to post my impressions. It’s good. Really good in fact. this is the genre that has belonged to the 360 since its inception, but it finally looks like Sony has an Ace in its deck. Visually, Killzone 2 is quite something - besting even Gears 2 in the motion-blurred grey battleground stakes, and the weight and purpose of everyting from the weapons to the characters is somethign to behold. Most importantly, though, it’s really satisfying to play. The enemy AI, coupled with a well implemented cover system (unusual for an FPS) means Killzone 2’s skirmishes are uniquely challenging and gratifyingly meaty.

Of course, the key to success in this genre is variety, and having only seen a snippet of the opening mission, it’s hard to judge whether Killzone 2 will switch up its speed and set pieces enough to enter the Pantheon of truly great shooters. But for a first impression - wow. Halo ODST has a lot to live up to.

http://blog.360magazine.co.uk/uncategorized/competition-check-killzone-edition/

traveler

Not Wario
____ said:
Oh. But even so...the opinion that it was a "shit" game was only shared by some.

Well, I think that's a given. Opinions being opinions and all. Still, the general consensus wasn't very favorable, (though I certainly don't remember many considering it "shit") so it seems a safe bet that it might not be the most fun game to play today.

Speaking of which, how accommodating is Killzone 2 supposed to be to newcomers to the story and gameplay?

Kittonwy

Banned
Zedsdeadbaby said:

Why does it even matter? Even the KZ2 MP beta was basically way better than any current MP shooter on the system, it had more polish and balance even at the beta stage.
Indifferent2.gif

ChryZ

I finished Killzone1 a few weeks ago. Played it on the default difficultly setting. Took me like 12h.

It wasn't like the best game ever, but it also wasn't as bad as some people claim here.

mr_nothin

Banned
Kittonwy said:
Why does it even matter? Even the KZ2 MP beta was basically way better than any current MP shooter on the system, it had more polish and balance even at the beta stage.
Indifferent2.gif
I dont think he was saying KZ1 sucks to say that KZ2 will suck.
The guy before him said he was going back to play KZ1....then he replied with KZ1 sux.

skulpt

I'm predicting an average of say 92%. I don't think any review worth reading will dock any points off the visuals, but I'm sure some will pick on the team mate AI and the lack of co op mode. But this game is a no brainer top game of 2009 so far. That is until Heavy Rain and Uncharted 2 come out. ;)

Fizzle

Lol at Xbox blog saying KZ2 looks better than Gears.

They just cost themselves a swag bag, thanks to one guy.

Bet it won't feel good to play ODST without the helmet on, it's one of my pipe dreams.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Tom Penny said:
IGN is biased. I'll wait for the Gamepro preview...
Heh, it is funny how all of usual "i'll wait for" outlets are either gone (EGM), or don't matter anymore (1up, Gamespot) given how their crews have pretty much 100% changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom