• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - input lag now? if you want a reskinned COD4, go play WaW

Status
Not open for further replies.

AAK

What a long ride it's been... It's finally Judgement day.

And it all started with this:

img_1978_killzone2.jpg

deepbrown

EnthusiasTech said:
Here it is ;

Dude, let them have the traffic! They just spent days writing that review for all of you, and the only way they get paid is by people clicking through and reading it. Don't quote it ALL here, please!

spwolf

It's deceptive though. This is a methodical shooter that makes few concessions to those not already interested in its single-minded approach to cover-based military action. I've compared it to Rainbow Six in the past, but it also calls to mind F.E.A.R, another tough tactical effort that was often misunderstood by those expecting a frag-happy spook hunt. Killzone 2 is a taut and muscular game, a shooter that gives back more than you put in, provided you have the intestinal fortitude. It may take its time revealing its true depths and pleasures, but the journey is well worth taking. Between Killzone 2's unforgiving grit and Resistance 2's alien-bursting excess, the PS3 finally has both ends of the shooter spectrum covered in grand style.

9/10

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/killzone-2-review?page=3

AranhaHunter said:
Who the fuck is empire review?

Check LoudNinja's post for the link.

Here is the GameReactor review, translated:

After four years and four months of eager anticipation continues the war against Helgestad Hast. Editorial meste action maniac has spent over two months along with Guerrilla Hot longed epic and tell now exactly what he thinks ...
I stare into the dying colleagues hopeless eyes. I have seen war in all its forms. I have been fighting over everything. On Earth, in space, at the bottom of the sea and in foreign galaxies. The world is a better place because of me. I have fought for peace, for freedom and for human survival so many times that I no longer question my will to kill. It happens automatically. The home will never understand.

I thought I had seen everything. Fought against all forms of resistance, in all different forms of the battlefield. But I was wrong. YELLING Combine, angry Covenant or trigger-happy Chimera had never been able to prepare me for what is expected of Helghan. The over-powerful enemy with endless resources, with constant reinforcement and a superior force of weapons we had never expected. The war on Helghan raging, and I fight for my life. For your life. For our survival.

Killzone 2 is soon here. Four years of anxious waiting is over. 400 million of Sony's money has been spent. It's win or vanish for Dutch Guerrilla Games now. And I am convinced that they will taste victory sweetness in the coming months. This is a masterpiece. An action games clots of unforgettable qualities, which no Playstation 3 owners to be missed.

Five years ago, I was struck at the home vector, the mutant super humans from Helghan. After a century of peace and quiet lyst appeal for thoughtful policy and humane conduct occurred osämja among space colonies at Vector. Many broke free from the strict rules on the planet and fled to Helghan, dirty industrial planet with poor living conditions.

40 years later came the invasion. Vector threatened. Weekend His soldiers were faster, stronger and hard drill in high-efficiency warfare, heavily inspired by Nazi Germany's Blitzkrieg. I fought for Vector. For ISA. And we fought to the last drop of blood there for just over five years ago.

We have now merged, charged on, strengthened, restructured the whole of the infantry and just landed on Helghan, four kilometers outside the capital Pyrrhus. Our mission is to capture Helgestad Hast-emperor and Helgestad His head Visari, and thus hopefully put an end to the war faster than expected.

Killzone 2 is a perfect follow-up. The caring tenderly the best parts from its predecessor, and fit while improving on just every single component. Detention is the sole and military strategic realistic feeling of credible advance under fire. Gone are the rhythmic screen update and somewhat intractable gamepad. This is great, majestically brilliant and completely ... quite wonderful. Killzone 2 is one of the best action games in years.

As you know, I was hoping for so much. My expectations were anything but realistic. I have waited four years and five months, to get to resume the fight against the game world's cruellest enemies. That legendary E3 trailer from 2005, the spin in my head thousands of times in recent years. Hopes had been growing into a monster, ready to destroy the gaming experience that I finally experienced the end of last year.

Expectations can ruin a lot. In many ways, the game kritikers worst enemy. It is with himself and builds them up, with readers, colleagues and of course, of a self. Sometimes hypen upper hand. However, burning too much. Taking in too hard. And deluding himself into the bargain. I was afraid I had done that with Killzone 2. In fact, I had been happy with a stable action games topped with a dense atmosphere and cool design. Yes, just as in the predecessor. There I was, ultimately, was slightly bigger, better and more ambitious than that.

In a genre where clear benchmarks constantly updated and where the elite is the game Half-Life 2, Halo and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. In the mix, all these expectations, it is extremely nice to see a developer Guerrilla, so UNPRACTISED as they really are (not least in comparison with genre-colleagues Bungie, Valve, and Id Software) go their own way. Altogether.

Killzone borrows very little from other games. It do not live on old conventions and it is never something that you already played. Sure there are small, small nuances that smells wonderfully of Gordon Freeman's tough adventure, and I am also able to discern the other Ghost Recon 2-reference. But in general, is Killzone 2 something unique. A world so genuine and so credible extremely well constructed that it immediately torn with, torn in - and then, and stuck there. Helghan is for real. Inside, in the game. The atmosphere rests as a dense fog over every little fire ball, over every little sotsvart bakgata and every little part of Helghan.

It was over four years since I fought Helgestad Hast last. To have to do it again makes me excited. Almost lyrical. I love these evil super people.

Helghan planet that offers a completely different type of environments than the war on the planet Dazzling vector from the first game. Gone are the lush gardens and well polished urban districts. In Killzone 2 fight instead of sotiga, dirty, evil industrial environments where the architecture has more in common with Albert Speer sumptuous modernism than, say, Halo-universe ultra typical science fiction HOKUM.

From the first moment, there on the beach outside the capital, to end customers inside Visaris grand palaces, is Killzone 2 in the evil of gambling. Soil is gray or brown. Covered with dried blood, black sand or soot. The buildings are straight, strong, big and aesthetics of Helghan communicates strength and firmness.

Visaris preparation for the ISA troops attack has been accurate and his forces are much stronger than expected. The city of Pyrrhus, and all of the battlefield as the Killzone 2 experience differs greatly from Vector, and Helghanerna fight all the time intelligent and extremely thoughtful in relation to the terrain.

After struggling along the beach after the disembarkation of the game early Monday sent together with Mr Garza in to deactivate the city's defense walls and make room for ISA artillery planned roll in later in the day. The path goes through the abandoned industrial sites and throughout the dot safe Helgestad Hast soldiers on guard. Their eyes lit. That dark orange tone. I shudder at the whole body. When they communicate with each other in a rasping noise, raucous, British English, I shudder even more. This is the action genre lab most enemy soldiers. MARK MY WORDS.

After an hour of war into the cramped control room, sotsvarta basement, sewer systems and difficult to read backyards, will be presented to The Salamun District that after shooting to death three watching Helgestad Hast records looking out over an enormous battlefield, where the ISA just moved into a välarrangerat Weekend Hast ambush and pressed back to the rear area, the Corinth River. It comes to settle up and take out the machine stationed marksmen, raketgevärs records, and finally jump down in a tank and meet up Helghanernas artelleri with ointments of dismal super-missiles.

This entire chapter, the whole of this initial hour, is so very representative of the rest of Killzone 2 that after Corith River and Salamun just continues to accelerate. Defense of Visari Square, the frequent gunfight in Shanti Village and Snipes challenge in The Waste Lands is all part of this game that I will carry with me forever. To say nothing of the final fight to breathe Metal Gear Solid and smells lovely of cunning Game.

Game Controls in Killzone 2 almost perfect. Guerrilla has managed it with a little slow the feeling of movement from the first game well, and then added weight, and response recoil. It's absolutely possible that there weighing 100 kg in Killzone 2, contrary to the seal sits where it should and that the boots of Lieutenant Sevchenko berries is not feather light FLIP-FLOP.

Game balance, structure and tempo of the tanks of Ghost Recon 2, though in a more claustrophobic manner well suited to the atmosphere of Killzone 2. Here, there is simply not to rush in Halo 3, or wrong-move to tick the necessary progress check points in Call of Duty 4: Modern Combat. No. Killzone 2 rests firmly on the foundations of military warfare in densely populated area. Without going so far as to be neither too realistic nor simulation boring.

The key is to think like a true military. Shoot three or four balls at a time and not to waste ammunition on hard hit automatled with unnecessarily wide circulation. The key is to shoot from a protected position and to add fire to depress the twitch comrades. To FLANK Helghanerna is as important as rest of the basic strategy, not least if you choose to play Killzone 2 on the Hard difficulty level.

I had far rather fun to Jonas Mäkis attempt to force Killzone 2 to adjust to his immutable style of play. Mäki is a hard drill Halo player. Halo is his favorite action games and he played the most in number of active hours. When he plays other games he always uses the exact same tactics as he does in Halo 3, for example. How many will do. But Killzone 2, just as in the example, Rainbow Six 3 and Ghost Recon 2, punishing it fairly soon.

I do not know how many attempts Jonas made when he rusat all force against Helgestad Hast soldiers who protected position shot and killed him faster than he had time to shout "for the Vector!". On the Easy difficulty level, it is of course easier to rush forward and rush, otherwise, the right low tempo game that Killzone 2 contains, but just as in the first game is Killzone 2 in more strategically demanding than most other sci-fi action game in the genre.

Another part of the game in terms Kilzone 2 which makes it very different from the genre-colleagues, as Half-Life 2, FEAR 2: Project Origin, Halo 3 and Crysis ™ - is how difficult it is to see what you shoot at. The enemy is hiding always. Fast. They are awfully smart and communicates well with each other in any gunfight. Weapons Monday use are often large caliber and hard shot and it is therefore important to shoot from the sedentary position and only (as I mentioned above) just shoot a few shots at a time.

The simplest way to meet with and easiest to use is the ISA-standard rifle troops. The same piece with the same light green vision window in the first Killzone 2. This rifle is both Fjose and slow to reload, which means that I always switch it off against Helghanernas rougher and more machine guns. Force has no sights, but instead shoot it faster and use larger ammunition.

In multiplayer weapon choice is vital, and just like in the best multiplayer games (Halo 3, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare), it is equally important to choose the right weapons, having to learn the trails. Multiplayer portion of Killzone 2 is class-based and there are 16 different classes to choose from. It is important to find a class that suits your own style of play well, and then to train in that class. Each time you die is certainly able to change class, but my experience makes self-evident right to adhere to a pre-and try to improve their abilities in that class as much as possible.

To enjoy death matches in Killzone 2 is a delectable, addictive experience that for my own part, no other action games right now can compete with. I love the different game modes available, the classes are diverse and balanced and the trails are built smart and perfect in size. Sure, Halo 3 is still a brilliant multiplayer game but I dislike the tracks to a certain extent, and I prefer the hard, raw and a bit of Counter-Strike-scented game feeling in Killzone 2 more than the gravitational poor toy feeling of Bungie third.

Much of the advance talk on Killzone 2 has been about the graphics part. After that fake trailer at E3 2005 have all asked themselves the same thing: Guerrilla will be able to live up to the graphics in the film snippet? The answer is yes. A large, bottles, florid and resounding yes. Killzone 2 is not only prettier than Call of Duty 4 or Gears of War 2. It is prettier than all the Playstation 3 and all the Xbox 360. With a clear margin. It is currently the world's prettiest console game and may only strike a single games - all platforms and genres - and the game called Crysis ™.

The design is to start with totally awesome. In spite of Helghan is colored gray, brown, black and ... green, this is some of the most inviting game environments ever. Modeling are detailed, sophisticated and changeable. Environments are large, loading times short, and above TERRIBLY receive, and screen update perfectly.

Is making a textured work that leaves nothing to be desired. At all. The sotiga husfasad industries, it cracked the ground you walk on, or the sotsvarta indoor environments creates a sense of nasty realism, despite the Helghan is a highly imaginative, fictional creation as far from reality as we can.

Other parts of this graphic masterpiece that will impress large is of course the animation and the animation pattern Guerrilla have worked hard the last four years. Helghanerna respond more faithfully and in detail when they get hit by my balls than any other enemy in any other game. Ever. Shoot them in the chest thrown the back between the arms commute on the side of the torso, they release their weapons, they fall down on your knees before they fall to the ground. Sometimes hits Monday their armor, and they can slowly but surely rise after a volley, then dazed and often without a helmet.

Shoot them in the legs fall rapidly to the ground, trying to stop the bleeding with his hands and hisses at the same time the most hiskeligt unpleasant death roar you can think of. The animations in Killzone 2 is completely sans solve.

A description which of course is perfect when talking about the lighting in the game. Guerrilla themselves have repeatedly said that their system of light and shadows is what makes Killzone 2 look so peerlessly attractive. I have no doubt. Each time they are stepping out in månskenet in Suljeva District and let the light blue light to fall on the rifle glitters Killzone 2 to clarify clearly how much nicer it is than anything else to the Playstation 3.

Each time you open fire in a narrow and pitch black cellar and let the mouth of the fire light up the enemies that cracked concrete walls the same thing happens. Unlike Gears of War 2 is the light and shadows all game also rendered entirely in real time and the shadow-maps as this is used is several times more advanced than those of Epic Games, and it shows.

Colors are used sparingly, dystopin is Helghan painted the dark red, almost black blood flowing from the dead Helghanernas bodies. It is a dark and inhospitable board Guerrilla painting, in direct contrast to the clean tidy and prosperous illusion of prosperity as the first game offered.

The only real minuset as I can possibly find in Killzone 2 (which is worth mentioning) is that the sound mix does not live up to the same standard as the premium graphic. Fair sound quality is brilliant, weapon sounds wonderful heavy and racial, the music fits perfectly and environmental sounds are perfectly adapted to the overall aesthetics.

The Guerrilla is rather careless with the surround mix, which in certain moments in certain chapters of the game is more than lawful odd. Sometimes, but, for example, hear the enemy's guns more clearly in the center channel than even his own rifle. Although the enemy soldier in question is 20 feet away while their gun is approximately 60 cm from the digital ear. Sometimes, even channel-mix change seats, so the left bakkanals surround track ports right speaker, and so on. Why this occurs I do not know, but it does in all cases to be sound rating down to a weak eight.

Despite a sometimes remarkable 5.1 mix, there is no doubt following; Killzone 2 is Sony's best game for many years. This is just so monumental powerful, so dramatic and so beautiful too super cool to anything but Gamer Actors master maxbetyg would be an insult. Buy it. Play it. And be captivated by the heaviest and most vicious war in video game history.

2nd OPINION: 9/10

The first Killzone stable than today as one of the most overlooked action games ever. It was wonderfully designed and very difficult. The sequel proves to be a sharp improvement in every element, there was never any doubt. Now Killzone 2 is finally here, it is therefore difficult to not let yourself enchanted by the digital magic that Dutch Guerrilla this offer. Although I am beyond poor and still not reached the end, this is a milestone for Sony and a vital title for you who own a Playstation 3.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Why are all of these review hitting this early? Is the Euro version out earlier than the US version? Not due until the 27th for the US. =/

~Kinggi~

Banned
Damn, 9 is a fairly boring score. Its not the omg bbq 10 gotf and its not the omg wtf 8 flop.

We'll have to wait for Feb 2nd for the real action :(

Dunlop

Takuan said:
Did someone post a breakdown of the review text? Scores are pretty meaningless without the words that accompany them.

This, us smucks who are working behnd a firewall should not have to suffer :p

anyone else having a hard time playing any other games??? i have lately just been watching killzone 2 videos and most of the games i was playing previously just dont compare or interest me now,hahaha.

GeoramA

Awesome scores. Congrats GG.

I remember KZ1's first batch of reviews back in 04 and how depressed I felt. Different story this time around :D

Lince

Banned
Spanish Meristation.com review

9.5/10

http://www.meristation.com/v3/des_analisis.php?pic=GEN&id=cw4980fbeec3465&idj=cw42893fd0819c7

What we like

* Technically the best in any console
* Great story, specially the awesome ending
* Inmersive, you won't forget your first play through
* Fun multiplayer, with plenty of variations, will never get old
* Enemy AI, level design, physics, encounters planning... delicious.
* Offline skirmish mode for those who are not online
* Great Spanish localisation, with Dutch accent dubbing (????)

what we don't like

* Yes, you knew it... it doesn't have a co-op mode
* Campaign mode a bit on the short side
* Friendly AI needs some tweaking.

iceatcs

European gaming media TOTALLY love it. AAA confirmed not matter US media or gamerarer will say.
Big time for GG. Well done!

Now let's see if US will love it or not. Probably not :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom