• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - input lag now? if you want a reskinned COD4, go play WaW

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChryZ

DeZimatoR said:
Oh, and I just came across a very fanboyish but really funny gif:

15ex1th.jpg

:p
Lame and full of fail, to unleash the ultimate shit storm it should be like: first headshot "Halo" (halo killer, wink wink) and the second one Crysis for maximum zeitgeist troll-age.

Not to encourage such a silly thing.

deepbrown

Killzone 2: Will Web Hype Translate into Real-World Sales?

Hell, even we had some success on N4G.com with our article referencing a NeoGAF post (the infamous video games forum), titled "Journalist on Killzone 2: My God. Let the hype engulf you." As if to follow the orders, this story achieved over 1000 degrees on the news aggregate. NB: One NeoGAF Killzone 2 thread is stretching beyond 15,000 comments.

http://www.gamezine.co.uk/features/game-types/shooter/killzone-2-will-web-hype-translate-into-real-world-sales--$1260282.htm

lol Gaf > Internet < Gaf :lol

FirewalkR

TTP said:
Indeed. What did they expect? GG to do all the marketing work as well? Bringing a limited edition is totally SCEE marketing responsability. Goddammit I'm pissed.

See TTP, now that talk of their targeting the retailer instead of the consumer with early reviews (that won't happen after all, I was wrong about the dates) doesn't make sense, because Sony marketing doesn't act logically. They're idiots!

Or else they're visionary geniuses and this is all part of a multi-year multi-billion(european)-dollar deviously cunning plan...

Da de duuuuum.

AKS

Uncharted didn't have a special edition, but the regular edition had more interesting videos, art, unlockables, ect. than some special editions. There's nothing stopping them from including that type of content on the disc. I'd rather get that type of content for the standard price as I did with Uncharted. I've been disappointed with most special editions I have purchased. Games are already expensive enough without tacking on another $10 to $20.

deepbrown

Kuroyume said:
Games journalism :lol
It actually has cool stats. Everyone just knows how important Gaf is, tis all :D

Then again, Sony and developer Guerilla Games have been clever enough to swamp the web with as many gameplay videos as possible, showing how brilliant the game actually looks (evidenced by our image comparison and media round-up.)

If the public discovers gameplay footage of Killzone 2 on YouTube, the game's sales might just rocket. At least, that's what Sony hopes: they expect the game to sell numbers as high as Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, which to date has sold well over four million copies.

Lets hope Sony doesn't rely on word of mouth and actually advertises the hell out of the game.

F*ck yeah. Get with it Sony.

-Winnie-

Arghhh... it's so frustrating that Sony lets down all its flagship titles. I know I shouldn't care, but it's really sad to see all the 360 exclusives have enormous sales due to Microsoft's great marketing, while most PS3 exclusives have comparatively low sales from Sony not seeming to give a damn about advertising.

Where's my goddamn Killzone Mountain Dew? >:[

Lince

Banned
untoldhero said:
You got jipped lol metal case > cardboard

well, I bought it on impulse for like 25$ while I was shopping for groceries (yeah the supermarket across the street sells PlayStation videogames), anyway the cardboard LEs of ICO/SoTC say hi to you.

jett

D-Member
AKS said:
Uncharted didn't have a special edition, but the regular edition had more interesting videos, art, unlockables, ect. than some special editions. There's nothing stopping them from including that type of content on the disc. I'd rather get that type of content for the standard price as I did with Uncharted. I've been disappointed with most special editions I have purchased. Games are already expensive enough without tacking on another $10 to $20.

Yep Uncharted didn't need a limited edition...mabye KZ2 will have some behind the scenes stuff in the disc? Put that fucking bluray to good use. :p

Sometimes it anoys me when I see people masturbating over needless collector's editions, last culprit is SF4. Retards are getting ripped off by Capcom and they don't give a shit. That 2nd "bonus disc" could easily fit in the game BD I bet.

deepbrown

patsu said:
I am confused.
me too...

edit: is this the guy who thinks we're the same person? lol Now THAT would be sad, that 'I' replied to myself twice. We have different accounts on B3d and neogaf with very different opinions..

deepbrown

Fizzle said:
if i ever read a post made by either of you, i can never tell.
lol. We have completely different names and used to play against each other in LBP and I think he has kids...and patsu is a numpty anyway :D

patsu

deepbrown said:
me too...

edit: is this the guy who thinks we're the same person? lol Now THAT would be sad, that 'I' replied to myself twice. We have different accounts on B3d and neogaf with very different opinions..

All your money and press passes belong to me !

k79

Banned
There's a new review out apparently, by Playstation Official Mag UK. They gave it a 9/10.

ps3attitude said:
Scoring an impressive 9 out of 10 and gaining their coveted Gold Award, the headline says it all - ‘Sony’s flagship shooter pwns all’. Indeed, in the ‘info box’ they say the game is like ‘Call of Duty set in double-gravity space, directed by Ridley Scott and rendered by God’.

A comment from a member of ps3attitude said one of the negatives the mag mentioned was that the difficulty spikes up way too hard towards the end. ( ttp? sam? nib? etc, care to comment? :p)

Source

Cruzader

Banned
jett said:
Yeah, the fact that you paid extra money for a CE of Killzone1 is pretty sad.

The CE disk was awesome though. Never release stuff was in it. I actually sold it later on lol since I needed money but it was worth it at the time.(made more selling it hehe) but KZ2 is a different beast and needs a LE!! Oh well of to preorder on amazon.

k79 said:
There's a new review out apparently, by Playstation Official Mag UK. They gave it a 9/10.

A comment from a member of ps3attitude said one of the negatives the mag mentioned was that the difficulty spikes up way too hard towards the end. ( ttp? sam? nib? etc, care to comment? :p)

Source

If it is anything like Liberation....Then thats not too hard to believe:D

DoomGyver

Dubbedinenglish said:
If it is anything like Liberation....Then thats not too hard to believe:D

Yeah, but should being 'too hard' be a con? If you don't have the skill for Elite, play on Veteran.

Shit, most games are too easy these days.

ram

at least you can start the game on four difficulty levels (the hardest one is locked at the beginning) - so it wouldnt be a real negative point.

k79

Banned
Full Recovery said:
Yeah, but should being 'too hard' be a con? If you don't have the skill for Elite, play on Veteran.

Shit, most games are too easy these days.

It should only be a con if its bad design, not if the reviewer simply sucks at the game. So yeah i agree. It's a great score though.

Any UK peeps got the mag?

amar212

k79 said:
A comment from a member of ps3attitude said one of the negatives the mag mentioned was that the difficulty spikes up way too hard towards the end. ( ttp? sam? nib? etc, care to comment?

You can pretty much say that. Last two chapters are total mayhem of combat and chaos, while the last one - especialy three last sections of it - being the most demanding and satistfying pieces of FPS gaming I've ever played.

But I would never say it is negative. I would go so far to say that it could be even harder - but there is always an Elite for that.

k79

Banned
amar212 said:
You can pretty much say that. Last two chapters are total mayhem of combat and chaos, while the last one - especialy three last sections of it - being the most demanding and satistfying pieces of FPS gaming I've ever played.

But I would never say it is negative. I would go so far to say that it could be even harder - but there is always an Elite for that.

Thanks for the info Amar :) I was hoping you'd say that.

No45 said:
Nope, and I'm not expecting it for a week or so yet (Came on the 23rd last month) so I'd take this as a leak/rumour.

Next week it is then!

tiddles

amar212 said:
Despite being killed so many times, I was not frustrated a single minute. I knew I have to go forward and push it untill I pass.

Satisifying one 110%. Going through on Elite will be something, but I'll wait for the actual code for that, not this review one.

Killzone 2 on Elite will become a new Contra in some wierd way.

Veteran is definitely the way to go if you consider yourself an FPS er, veteran. And Elite should be... challenging :D

andycapps

To be honest, if the regular KZ game has all the interviews and behind the scenes stuff that a CE would have had, I'm fine with that. That artbook/guide is mighty tempting though. :D They'll probably be pushing that pretty hard at Gamestop, and it probably works out better financially for Guerrilla to sell the game and book separately, rather than package it all together.

But it still doesn't make sense why this doesn't have a CE for those that wanted it. MGS4 had one, Resistance 2 had one.. Heck, lots of other much smaller games had one. This is the biggest PS3 title thus far and I don't get it. Sounds to me like they're way over budget.

Cruzader

Banned
Aren't all games like that though where difficulty spikes near the end? Uncharted comes to mind since the last couple of chapter were "god i want to throw my controller out the window" hard(even worse on the last difficult setting and yes I got my platinum :D )

So KZ2 being harder on the last parts doesnt worry me nor should it worry you guys. All games are like that.

deepbrown

andycapps said:
To be honest, if the regular KZ game has all the interviews and behind the scenes stuff that a CE would have had, I'm fine with that. That artbook/guide is mighty tempting though. :D They'll probably be pushing that pretty hard at Gamestop, and it probably works out better financially for Guerrilla to sell the game and book separately, rather than package it all together.

But it still doesn't make sense why this doesn't have a CE for those that wanted it. MGS4 had one, Resistance 2 had one.. Heck, lots of other much smaller games had one. This is the biggest PS3 title thus far and I don't get it. Sounds to me like they're way over budget.
You do realise this is typical Sony.

The collectors will come later for DOUBLE SALES.

Release normal one on launch, get a bunch of sales. Deny that there's ever going to be a Collectors Edition so we all buy the normal one. Then BAM a collectors. We buy the game twice :)

amar212

deepbrown said:
We buy the game twice :)

That is exaclty why Gran Turismo games are being released in Japan almost half year before PAL/NA release for last 3 games. And guess what - it works. My shelf is a witness to that.

Dragnet

OK so I got my UK issue of OPM...the score is....

....drumroll please....

.....9/10! Not too shabby at all :D They seem to have nothing but praise for it. They also have a list of the 5 best moments in the game. Shows off some stuff we've seen before, but 2 new ones I think, they show a mission where you
take control of a robot/walker thing, as well as a mission where you take control of an AA gun way up in the sky defending those ISA floating towers, I can't tell whether you're on a moving ship or stuck on the tower itself, either way
, they've said that level in particular looks incredible. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, incredible with italics.

Edit: Shit, already said. AH well, take it as confirmation, everything that was rumoured earlier is true. 8 hours ish, difficulty spike at end etc...

Also, slightly OT but they have the exclusive Resi Evil 5 review next month so look forward to that :D

Loudninja

Dragnet said:
OK so I got my UK issue of OPM...the score is....

....drumroll please....

.....9/10! Not too shabby at all :D They seem to have nothing but praise for it. They also have a list of the 5 best moments in the game. Shows off some stuff we've seen before, but 2 new ones I think, they show a mission where you
take control of a robot/walker thing, as well as a mission where you take control of an AA gun way up in the sky defending those ISA floating towers, I can't tell whether you're on a moving ship or stuck on the tower itself, either way
, they've said that level in particular looks incredible. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, incredible with italics.

Edit: Shit, already said. AH well, take it as confirmation, everything that was rumoured earlier is true. 8 hours ish, difficulty spike at end etc...

No problem dude, and thanks for adding more info :D

Dragnet said:

Yup, the review has been confirmed over on GRcade too. It's a very positive review overall apparently, 9/10, they complain about a difficulty spike and the finale being a "major anticlimax", and they mention something about brief screen freezing/loading pauses.
Their 2008 game of the year is MGS4 BTW.

UK, January 14, 2009 - After years of anticipation we've finally played the final code for Killzone 2 through from start to finish. Naturally, there's a lot of stuff we're not yet able to talk about, due to heavy restrictions from Sony, but also because we don't want to spoil the game for you. However, what we can say is that PlayStation 3 owners are in for a treat come February, with Guerrilla's much-hyped shooter promising to blow all other PS3 FPSes out of the water. Here's why:

Eye-Popping Presentation
Not convinced Killzone 2 will live up to that E3 demo? Wait until you see it in action. Seriously, Killzone 2 is without doubt the best-looking game on PlayStation 3, boasting some of the best effects and use of lighting we've seen not just on Sony's console but anywhere. From the familiar opening scenes as you drop down onto Helghan, cutting through the smoke clouds to leave trails of vapour in your wake, to an explosive climax that's guaranteed to set forums alight with heated discussion, Killzone 2 is a game guaranteed to impress from start to finish.

Killzone 2 is an assault on your senses from start to finish.

Whether you're trudging through the run-down shanty town of Suljeva village or creeping along the corridors of Visari's grandiose palace in the Helghan capital of Pyrrhus, every new level presents countless jaw-dropping moments when you sit back and take it all in. It's not simply the scale of it all either – although there are moments when Guerilla really likes to show it can do things big – but more to do with the attention to detail. Indeed, there's a real sense of grittiness to the game, that there really is a war going on around you, whether it's the once-grand cities of Helghan scarred by relentless shelling or vistas plagued by countless plumes of black smoke billowing from fires across the battlefield.

The weather adds a real atmosphere to the game too, with barren landscapes battered by strong winds carrying dust and debris and bolts of lightning cutting like daggers through the blackened skies. It's an impressive assault on your senses, especially if you're playing through a rig hooked up to surround sound. The constant thud of distant explosions and the whoosh of bullets cutting through the air in Dolby 7.1 is often enough to make you duck for cover, even though you're playing from the comfort of your living room.

Blood-Pumping Gameplay
There's never a quiet moment in Killzone – if you don't like the crack of gunfire then this simply isn't the game for you. However, if you find gut-wrenchingly visceral action to die for there's nothing better on PlayStation 3. From initial skirmishes with Helghast resistance to full-blown wars against innumerable waves of enemies, Killzone 2 quickly shifts into top gear and never eases off the throttle.

To play, Killzone 2 sits somewhere between Call of Duty and Gears of War 2. The pace of the game is very much full-on, much like Gears, but it's not quite so epic in scale and has more in common with Call of Duty in terms of mission objectives – you don't have to blow your way out of a giant worm or ride a beast into battle, but overturning Helghast encampments and punching through enemy lines is very much the order of the day. The cover system isn't quite so forgiving as Gears' and if you duck behind a low barricade you'll still expose yourself to fire, meaning you've got to choose your resting points carefully, especially when Helghast troops are clever enough to attempt to outflank you.

Importantly, it's all superbly balanced, presenting enough of a challenge to ensure you won't breeze through the entire game without breaking sweat but still throwing in a number of solid battles that require you to use your noodle as much as your trigger finger.

Tools of Destruction
On paper the weapons in Killzone 2 are unlikely to cause excitement – the assault rifle is standard issue, the choice of automatic pistol or the powerful revolver is nothing new, there's an SMG, grenade launcher, rocket launcher... It's all stuff you've played around with for years, but what Killzone gets right is that each weapon feels perfect to use. For example, the dot sight on the machinegun makes it reassuringly quick to get a bead on the enemy, while hitting an enemy square in the chest with the shotgun results in a satisfying scream as they're knocked off their feet.

The Arc cannon makes light work of Helghast troops - and you, if you get on the wrong end of it.

There are two standout weapons of note though, the first being the flamethrower. It's ideal for flushing out enemies hiding in dark corners of the slums, torching the cover they're lurking behind until they're eventually engulfed in flame. Make sure you finish the job properly though, as while a quick blast is enough to stop them from attacking you a little longer, only a more thorough roasting will prevent them from dragging their burning bodies up off the ground. Beware Helghast carrying flamethrowers too, because it's just as deadly in the hands of an enemy as smart as they are.

The Arc cannon is without doubt our favourite weapon in the game, although it's hard to find. It spits out streams of lightning that instantly paralyse its targets, causing them to shake and jerk uncontrollably as their bodies are consumed by thousands of volts of electricity. A second blast quickly seals their fate, leaving behind a sparking, smoking corpse – and of course any weapons they're carrying, which you can then nab.

There are countless additional weapons scattered around each level too, from gun turrets to anti-aircraft cannons you can turn on the advancing army. You're also given the chance to play around with some really seriously military hardware, but we'll let you discover that for yourself when you play the game.

Killer AI
The normal reaction to being shot at is to dive for cover, so why is it that most video game bad guys will quite happily stand in the open and soak up bullets before slumping to the ground in a bloody mess seconds later? Not so in Killzone 2, where the Helghast actively hide behind available cover, where they'll pop out to rattle off a shot or, if it's getting too heated, fire blindly to minimise the chances of taking a bullet. But what's really clever is the way they react to how you play: for example, lob in a grenade and they'll run into the open and risk being shot rather than face certain doom when the pineapple explodes in the face. Similarly, rather than pop out of cover at exactly the same point every time, they'll keep moving around to prevent you from training your sights on one area and blowing their brains out the moment they stand up to take a shot.

The Helghast are smarter than most enemies you've encountered before.

What's more, the Helghast will also work as a team, with heavy weapons troops sitting back and laying down a wall of fire while light infantry close for the kill. All too often we focused our fire on heavy machine-gunners in the distance, only to succumb to a grunt who'd sneaked round the side and lumped us with the butt of his rifle. Clever.

It's a shame then that your team-mates aren't quite so smart and often stand out in the open rather than fire from behind cover. True, when they're alive they draw fire away from your sorry arse, but all too often the only thing they contribute to a battle is the pathetic cry of 'Help me!'.

Monster Multiplayer
We admit we're a bit disappointed there's no co-op mode to get stuck into, but Killzone 2's Warzone multiplayer mode is a gem in its own right. It's much more than a straightforward deathmatch too, although the option to play a basic 32-player scrap is certainly included. Multiplayer staples such as Capture and Hold, Assassination and Search and destroy are all in there too, but given their own Killzone 2 twist.

ISA and Helghast multiplayer classes from left to right: engineer; medic; scout; infantry; assault; tactician; saboteur.

What makes Killzone's multiplayer stand out are the seven player types available to both ISA and Helghast forces. Initially you're only able to play as the bog-standard infantryman with a choice of just a couple of weapons, but the more you play the more badges and ranks you earn, which enables you to select different character classes such as a medic, heavy weapon trooper and so on. Each class is gifted with unique skills, so engineers can set up automated turrets to protect objectives, scouts have active camouflage that makes them difficult to spot and tacticians can call in air support in the shape of ATACs, flying drones kitted out with miniguns. Players are therefore encouraged to put in as much time in multiplayer as possible, because you're able to mix and match skills rather than forced to only play as one specific class.

Importantly, even if you're a rookie with no experience Killzone 2's multiplayer is a cinch to pick up and play. The basic arsenal is decent enough to stand up against the big weapons provided you've got a steady aim, plus there's always the option of nicking a better weapon from the still-warm corpse of a downed enemy. Alternatively, hone your skills in the Skirmish mode, which serves up the same experience as playing online, only against bots. As you improve you'll climb up the online leaderboard, which frequently dishes out additional rewards and badges to the most outstanding players.

There it is. ALl of it. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom