• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 2 Public Beta email recieved

snoopers

I am multitalented
I just played through several chapters of the SP campaign. Can't say anything since there's an embargo, but I've been quite negative about the game until E3 and I just wanted to share that I absolutely love it. And that it looks incredible, hyperbole aside. Waaaay better than E3/GDC demo level. Chapter 2-3 is gonna kick some serious ass in terms of atmosphere and immersion, it really feels like you're in the middle of a war, I've never seen something like this. Props Guerrilla, you did it !

kenta

Has no PEINS
snoopers said:
I just played through several chapters of the SP campaign. Can't say anything since there's an embargo, but I've been quite negative about the game until E3 and I just wanted to share that I absolutely love it. And that it looks incredible, hyperbole aside. Waaaay better than E3/GDC demo level. Chapter 2-3 is gonna kick some serious ass in terms of atmosphere and immersion, it really feels like you're in the middle of a war, I've never seen something like this. Props Guerrilla, you did it !
Awesome, glad to hear the SP holds up as well as the beta does. Too bad you're not doing the Diaries anymore, I'd like to hear you talk about it (or I guess read your subtitles)

Apparently the embargo is up on December 4th, so set your alarms everyone

snoopers said:
Would you say the graphics have improved significantly? Also you mentioned controls earlier in the year. How do you like the controls now?

I love how this game looks and the way they're going with multiplayer in terms of classes/etc, but I get the sinking feeling I'm going to be terrible at it. Just looking at the levels it's painfully apparently there will be absolutely zero run-n-gun. Slow, plodding, deliberate shooters try my patience and I just don't have the right instincts for them. Someone reassure me!

snoopers said:

GERRRRGHHHHG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HYPE BOWL FULL OF HYPEY GOODNESS!

My Arms Your Hearse said:
I love how this game looks and the way they're going with multiplayer in terms of classes/etc, but I get the sinking feeling I'm going to be terrible at it. Just looking at the levels it's painfully apparently there will be absolutely zero run-n-gun. Slow, plodding, deliberate shooters try my patience and I just don't have the right instincts for them. Someone reassure me!

Use this and play with Gaffers.
kz23g768.jpg

snoopers

I am multitalented
CrushDance said:
Would you say the graphics have improved significantly? Also you mentioned controls earlier in the year. How do you like the controls now?

I'm sure they improved the graphics, but the main thing is that chapt1 is far less impressive than the followings, as far as I played.

About the controls, there's still this weird floating sensation. It can be improved by increasing the sensibility of the sticks in the options, so it was way better for me than when I tried it on the showfloor... but it's definitely there.

For exemple I was playing Resistance 2 just before, and it's like day and night. In Resistance the controls feel like a PC game, it's extremely precise and smooth. In Killzone it's different, it's slower, it really floats. But visually it fits the cinematic feel of the game, it adds a bit of chaos... and you still hit what you're aiming, so... I guess it's okay. But I'm sure some will find it annoying, it's quite noticeable.

Eh, lets just drop this please. It was a stupid thread because of some personal things in my life, I already feel bad enough about it.

snoopers said:
I'm sure they improved the graphics, but the main thing is that chapt1 is far less impressive than the followings, as far as I played.

About the controls, there's still this weird floating sensation. It can be improved by increasing the sensibility of the sticks in the options, so it was way better for me than when I tried it on the showfloor... but it's definitely there.

For exemple I was playing Resistance 2 just before, and it's like day and night. In Resistance the controls feel like a PC game, it's extremely precise and smooth. In Killzone it's different, it's slower, it really floats. But visually it fits the cinematic feel of the game, it adds a bit of chaos... and you still hit what you're aiming, so... I guess it's okay. But I'm sure some will find it annoying, it's quite noticeable.
Cool. I'm already fine with the graphics, the clouds and moving wires look really amazing, just wanted to know what you thought about the controls especially because I tend to get motion sickness in some FPS games.

Grayman

Spike said:
Damn, those vids are amazing! I really like the Killzone series, so I am very sad that I get to miss this beta along with all the other ones.

Is there any advantage to being a PSU member, or does it have to do with the fact that I'm in Canada?!?! I have never once gotten into any beta, and this was the one I really wanted to be in.
Sony just started inviting me into these things recently and I am Canadian. Really KZ2 has a small number of players at one time so it is probably a very small beta.

Shadow780

Holy fuck @ the new videos, damn I would slam my cock against a wall and cry for not getting into beta if there weren't so many games coming out this holiday to keep me away from the agony...

snoopers

I am multitalented
CrushDance said:
I tend to get motion sickness in some FPS games.

Watch the gameplay videos that will hit on december 4th, because if you get motion sickness in some FPS I'm afraid you'll have a hard time playing KZ2 :/

kenta

Has no PEINS
Thing is, you're talking about two extremes. When you say "slow plodding deliberate" it makes me think of something more like SOCOM. When you say run-n-gun it makes me think of Unreal Tournament. This is somewhere inbetween, but on the Realistic end of the spectrum as opposed to Arcadey. I cut my teeth on UT so my very nature when playing FPS games is run-n-gun and it works just fine for me, I love it to death. Just learn the maps, follow your HUD to the objectives, keep cover in mind and try to be aware of your surroundings. But blow a bunch of stuff up and kill a lot of people in the process. You'll be fine

snoopers said:
Watch the gameplay videos that will hit on december 4th, because if you get motion sickness in some FPS I'm afraid you'll have a hard time playing KZ2 :/
Nooo! The only games that have given me motion sickness are Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and Resistance 2. Weird thing though is that I played MP1 and R1 perfectly fine and only had trouble with their sequels. Resistance it was easy to determine what the problem was, as soon as you start running everything around you is blurred? out and only the center is clear. Completely messes me up.

The hard thing is you never know until you actually try it, the videos are fine. I watched many R2 videos on GameTrailers and didn't have a problem.

snoopers said:

I appreciate the feedback.

Glad to hear you've changed your tune on this game after getting more time with.

Can't wait. This beta is such a cocktease.

snoopers said:

It's because there's little/no auto-aim in Killzone 2 and there's a lot of auto-aim in Resistance 2. There is also a recoil that you must take into account. It's better to shoot in small bursts rather than to hold down the button. It feels a lot more realistic this way. Takes some getting used to, but I'm super precise now with the main weapon and the sniper rifle.

CrushDance said:
Nooo! The only games that have given me motion sickness are Metroid Prime 2: Echoes and Resistance 2. Weird thing though is that I played MP1 and R1 perfectly fine and only had trouble with their sequels. Resistance it was easy to determine what the problem was, as soon as you start running everything around you is blurred? out and only the center is clear. Completely messes me up.

The hard thing is you never know until you actually try it, the videos are fine. I watched many R2 videos on GameTrailers and didn't have a problem.

Weird that R2 gives you motion sickness. That game hardly has any movement to it at all.

KZ2 has quite a bit of immersive camera 'jolts' when you're running or an explosion is nearby. I think it's fucking awesome, but it may make you motion sick if you're super sensitive.

Nafai1123

Banned
unfuckingbelievable! Everything about the style of this game just works. When I see those videos, it looks like I'm seeing through a real soldiers eyes, not just a weightless character holding a gun. Cannot wait till February!

kenta said:
Thing is, you're talking about two extremes. When you say "slow plodding deliberate" it makes me think of something more like SOCOM. When you say run-n-gun it makes me think of Unreal Tournament. This is somewhere inbetween, but on the Realistic end of the spectrum as opposed to Arcadey. I cut my teeth on UT so my very nature when playing FPS games is run-n-gun and it works just fine for me, I love it to death. Just learn the maps, follow your HUD to the objectives, keep cover in mind and try to be aware of your surroundings. But blow a bunch of stuff up and kill a lot of people in the process. You'll be fine

My tendencies are for UT/Quake speed and carnage. That said, I was pretty darn good at BF:BC which is a lot slower and more deliberate. Here's to hoping for the best.

My tendencies are for UT/Quake speed and carnage. That said, I was pretty darn good at BF:BC which is a lot slower and more deliberate. Here's to hoping for the best.

Killzone 2 can be a very fast paced game if you want it to be.

It's only slow when you're not running.

Getting the stupid 10002 network error. I will except the clan invite when this damn thing lets me on! Anyone else having this issue right now?

lunlunqq

I can't say much, but for those of you who complained that it took too many shots to kill ppl, it dose not. In those vids, the guy were having some serious lagging/hit registration problems. Normally, 2 well-placed shots should give you a kill. Headshots are strict one-shot kills. It feels much more like COD4 than R2. I think the beta still has some hit-registration problems where sometimes your shots just don't register with the server. but it's just the beta.

Schrade

Holy jesus.. I just watched those 5 videos. I'm in the beta and those videos impressed me still! ROFL. I didn't have to worry about being killed while seeing all the kickass stuff around the levels.

This... is FPS of the forever.

brandonh83 said:
I think God of War 3 will be technically amazing enough but like Resistance 2 it will probably sacrifice an overall outstanding graphical presentation for scale. Which, to be honest? FINE BY ME. Some of that shit in Resistance 2 was fucking MINDBLOWING and I like that more than just having that rock over there in the dirt with great textures. To hell with that rock, give me big, huge pretty shit to look at. I don't care about pipes and rocks.

It won't. You fight some epic bosses, but the environments are never really all that big, and when they are, there's not a lot going on (walking across the chains of the Steeds of Time, for example). Plus, they use guided camera angles to limit what you see.

There's a reason God of War II looked head and shoulders above all other ps2 games out there AND it ran at 60fps. :D

God of War III should look absolutely brilliant. It'll be using an engine even more advanced than Killzone 2's, plus it'll be using all the tricks I mentioned above to make it look better than any damn game on the market. And it'll probably run at 1080p as well. God of War ran at 480p when most games ran at 480i, and God of War II had a special mode that enabled it to run ABOVE 480p (can't recall the exact resolution - 576p?), all at 60fps. Not to mention they kind've unofficially announced that were aiming for 1080p right after the release of GoWII.

G-Bus

Banned
My eyes burn from the amazing.

Why is the beta so limited. Open this bitch up Sony!

Any kind soul willing to trade this to me last day or two of the beta?

snoopers said:
:O

mr_nothin

Banned
OH SNAPZ...it turned snoopers around too?
HAhahaha, this game is gonna be SOOOO awesome man.

Good to know that it's not just the MP that's good. SP seems to be giving you a new sense fo what it takes to have real immersion, from the way your impressions sound.

I cant wait!

Oh, and about the floaty-ness. I think I know what people like my friend (mr "loose and janky") and snoopers might be talking about. Going in to KZ2 with just the default sensitivity, the aim tends to go more up/down than left/right. With the default settings I would try to turn and the aim would start to go up or down. It was worse while trying to shoot somebody. It did feel janky.

The fix I had for it was to have my vertical sensi about half my horizontal sensi.

bdouble

Those are really impressive. Haven't been following this game that much but really liking the look of it from those. Devs really knew what they were going for. Everything has a sense of cohesion and the tech just enhances this. Atmosphere is just top notch.

Schrade

TEMPY If you're reading this, can you possibly get someone at your workplace to upload a 720p version of the original 2005 Target Render for Killzone please?

Also the video for that on the Killzone.com media site is corrupted :-/ You can only watch it partially.

J-Rzez

I have said in other threads how killer this game looks in motion, and that it's beyond anything else shown to date, and people laughed at me, said CoD4 looked as good, etc.

And yes, gameplay/gunplay is incredible. It's not SOCOM, it's not UT, it's not the exact in between like CoD4, but it's between SOCOM and CoD4, leaning more to the "realism" side believe it or not in a futuristic shooter.

Also, this hasn't been mentioned before, but the use of rumble is some of the best I've seen.

I could not imagine playing this game without rumble. It really adds to the immersion.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Kittonwy said:
No and it's a gross injustice.
angry.gif
Aww that's too bad, I have a feeling your face and my shotty would make suuuuch good friends! ;P

gogogow said:
Multiplayer looks fantastic, wow at destructible environments.
But imo it takes too many bullets to kill someone. It should be somewhere between COD4 and Resistance.
My shotty would also like a word with you.
And for people having doubts, read Snooper's comments above. That says enough about KZ2 imo. :D

Fucking work...can't play tonight. :(

snoopers said:
hype + 1000 ( Which i didnt even think was possible)

KTallguy

Banned
In one stage, I threw a grenade behind some stone pillars to flush out someone behind it.
I didn't expect all this debris to fly from the damn pillars, I wowed at the screen.

Then I got shot :lol

This game will seriously impress. I think it looks better than anything else out there.

Is the cover system in MP? Is it still in SP? I couldn't figure out how to use it.

gbovo

KTallguy said:
In one stage, I threw a grenade behind some stone pillars to flush out someone behind it.
I didn't expect all this debris to fly from the damn pillars, I wowed at the screen.

Then I got shot :lol

This game will seriously impress. I think it looks better than anything else out there.

Is the cover system in MP? Is it still in SP? I couldn't figure out how to use it.
Cover system is only available in single player.

KTallguy

Banned
gbovo said:
Cover system is only available in single player.

That's kind of unfortunate. Did they say why they did it that way?
Kind of a shame that people can't carry their SP experience over to MP.

You gotta love how much time and effort they've spent strictly on emphasizing the core gunplay, how its presented, how it feels to the player, how it reacts to the environment, sound design etc. The out-of-this-world gun modeling, the way the camera infers weight and inertia of a heavy weapon, how instead of merely bullet holes you get those glowing hot embers, solid environmental destruction, the dynamic hit reactions on enemies and downright eerie death animations. Everything seems focused on saying to the player, "you're wielding a deadly ballistic weapon and don't you fucking forget it".

BeeDog

All these positive impressions are hyping me more than they should. Would really love to see the beta run on my HDTV, but alas, can't have all the luck in the world. :[

Hopefully we'll get more SP impressions really soon, since these tidbits from Pelaaja and snoopers are damn good appetizers.

Enojado

snoopers said:

Thanks for sharing what you could. Here's to hoping the levels you played through weren't overly short.

Dante

BeeDog said:
All these positive impressions are hyping me more than they should. Would really love to see the beta run on my HDTV, but alas, can't have all the luck in the world. :[

Hopefully we'll get more SP impressions really soon, since these tidbits from Pelaaja and snoopers are damn good appetizers.

Good thing is Feb aint too far away :)

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
You gotta love how much time and effort they've spent strictly on emphasizing the core gunplay, how its presented, how it feels to the player, how it reacts to the environment, sound design etc. The out-of-this-world gun modeling, the way the camera infers weight and inertia of a heavy weapon, how instead of merely bullet holes you get those glowing hot embers, solid environmental destruction, the dynamic hit reactions on enemies and downright eerie death animations. Everything seems focused on saying to the player, "you're wielding a deadly ballistic weapon and don't you fucking forget it".

Holy shit! awesome! ...this is exactly what I wanted to fucking hear! :D

Top Bottom