• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 2 - Re-Emergence Thread May 2008 - HD gameplay footage up

Even with the crappy video, from what we all have seen before with last years videos and what this trailer would showcase in better quality, this is still probable the best looking console game I've ever seen!

Awntawn

Deepblue said:
Keep in mind the first E3 teaser was completely devoid of stuff. You have all the detail rendered in the E3 teaser + everything else when you play Halo 3. Hell, I managed to herd 50+ enemies onto the AA turret hill at the end of the Storm and in playback half the time it would run at 60fps - that is until the grunts (20+) all threw grenades at me. The resulting explosion was... large to say the least.
wat

Acid08 said:
Is the Feburary 2009 release wordwide or Europe only since this is a European event?

Seeing how it's being developed in Europe, I'm sure it will be out in Europe first or at the same time as everywhere elese.

New trailer looked "great", shame GameVideos is a waste of space.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
This could still very well hit NA in 2008, as this is a European event and could be a Euro release. Either way, Feb 09 isn't that long off anyways, so I don't care. Sony will need post-Holiday momentum, and this is a perfect fit.

k79

Banned
omg rite said:
Could someone explain the hype behind this game?

I'm honestly confused. Is it just because it looks pretty?

21jxiiw.gif

29pc8kk.gif

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
AlphaSnake said:
This could still very well hit NA in 2008, as this is a European event and could be a Euro release. Either way, Feb 09 isn't that long off anyways, so I don't care. Sony will need post-Holiday momentum, and this is a perfect fit.

Oh there's definitely no doubt these delays will only help sony. Hype of R2, motorstorm 2, LBP, and hopefully HOME, will be enough to push it through the holidays. MGS4, and this is a big maybe haze? will push it through summer. Plus Wipeout HD, socom and various other games are there too. Starting early next year with Killzone 2 will help sony out though big time... but as a gamer I'd rather not wait:D

omg rite said:

I want to play Killzone 2 by all means, but I agree completely. Guerrilla hasn't done anything special, at all.

I can only assume it's being held up by Sony fans just like Killzone was. Nothing wrong with that, but I feel hype is going to hurt Killzone 2 just like it hurt the first.

Jtrizzy

Man this is getting frustrating. I want this over R2, but oh well. Hasn't this game been in development for close to 4 years now? What is taking so long, it's just a shooter with incredible graphics isn't it? Not trying to be a hater, it's just starting to feel like there is something wrong with this game.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Jtrizzy said:
Man this is getting frustrating. I want this over R2, but oh well. Hasn't this game been in development for close to 4 years now? What is taking so long, it's just a shooter with incredible graphics isn't it? Not trying to be a hater, it's just starting to feel like there is something wrong with this game.

The longer they have the better the game... seriously it'll be worth the wait I think. Unless of course they screw it up. I think sony will let them go after that.

Jtrizzy said:

A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever etc etc and soforth. There's no pressing need for this game this year, why not take the time to polish it? This is not a small project, and it is ambitious.

WinFonda

omg rite said:

What kind of bullshit is this? Try explaining the hype behind any game. Explain the hype behind a Halo or a Call of Duty game.

Face it: This is the internet. Graphics are what get games noticed. Especially when there's nothing else to go on. Something tells me you weren't so confused and conflicted when Gears of War was riding the graphics hype wave.

Besides, from what little information we do have I can think of at least one thing KZ2 is doing different from other FPS's, and that is a first person cover system.

Was Killzone 2 ever officially scheduled for 2008 in the first place to be even delayed? I forget. Sony seemed pretty non-committal about it's release date, and now we finally get a month and year for it's release.

WinFonda said:
Besides, from what little information we do have I can think of at least one thing KZ2 is doing different from other FPS's, and that is a first person cover system.
Which is leaning, but with blind fire.

k79

Banned
Hellsing321 said:
May want to pick better gifs. Or at least something a little more exciting.

The atmosphere, models, details and lighting is what makes it exciting for me :lol
I lost the more action packed gifs im afraid.

revolverjgw said:
A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever etc etc and soforth. There's no pressing need for this game this year, why not take the time to polish it? This is not a small project, and it is ambitious.

In addition to that, (correct me if I'm wrong) this game is built from the ground up, whereas R2 is probably using a lot of coding and other things from R1. The new technology (graphics, lighting) going behind this game is amazing...that alone is probably taking up a lot of Guerilla's time.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
revolverjgw said:

yeah especially when we got R2 to lean back on.

Even in that low rez video, this game's visuals continue to amaze. Their whole art direction just creates a look unlike anything else out there. It's almost like they've gone the completely opposite "next-gen" direction than everyone else, where it appears they're eschewing heavy shader / normal / parallax mapping in favor of geometry / textures / heavy post processing. It just looks fantastic, I love it.

Feindflug

The new trailer looks freakin' amazing! O_O

And personally I won't mind a delay as long as everything about the game turns out more polished..umm now where is Blim?

kbear

I wonder why they don't just make the release date March instead of February, because March seems to be the new monster release month with insane Holiday-type numbers.

Very impressive, even compared with the very high bar set by stuff like CoD4. Definitely would consider this if I get round to buying a PS3.

methane47

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Was Killzone 2 ever officially scheduled for 2008 in the first place to be even delayed? I forget. Sony seemed pretty non-committal about it's release date, and now we finally get a month and year for it's release.

you have a point... i dont think any date was ever official but everyone assumed and hoped for november

WinFonda said:
What kind of bullshit is this? Try explaining the hype behind any game. Explain the hype behind a Halo or a Call of Duty game.
Because they come from teams with a fantastic pedigree and have established themselves as part of the uppermost echelon of shooters?

Top Bottom