• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 3 Beta Details (Starts 10/25, requires PS+, only 10k spots open)

Facism

JardeL said:
You guys better forget about Custom Games ;

We have 'much easier, user friendly system' guys, come on!

I found their statement regarding custom games very patronising of their userbase.

If they implemented a PROPER server list with the relevant information displayed, customs wouldn't be an issue. It's only been done in every competent FPS since the 1990's.

After playing the beta I went back to Killzone 2 today. Jesus Christ they CODtardified the game way more than I thought. Fuck off Guerilla I'm not buying this one unless there are some huge changes. KZ2's multiplayer will remain the best of this generation it seems.

Zen

Banned
Killzone 2 MP had a shit ton of problems, KZ3 MP just shuffled around the problems into new categories. :lol

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
alr1ghtstart said:
I was more going for their server filter listing sucked.

But mostly because you're all dumb fucks.

Filters are so hard!

Also Tactician is broken as fuck.

I got like 20 kills with the airbot (ZOMG MORE USEFUL THAN KILLZONE 2's!) in the jetpack map having the enemy spawn at the high-point tact spawn and trying to bomb USF or whatever the non-nazi team's site was. Camping behind cover and sniping them with a dead snipers rifle in addition. Brutal.

Zen said:
Killzone 2 MP had a shit ton of problems, KZ3 MP just shuffled around the problems into new categories.

Not all of them. The spawn/tactical insertions still fucking suck. All you need to do is get bots and airbots in the air on the dam/winter map that's open (non-DM variant) and hold the "third" tactical spawn. After that, they have to funnel through three holes. You can pretty much hold the enemy team in the "water"/beach area at that point despite them having two tactical spawns there. Having grenades like KZ2 would solve this problem if they got out, but KZ2's issue was that players would camp those grenades and get free kills.

Basically, they should just out the spawns all together and have the traditional "weighted spawn" system in place. It sucks, but it works in general with less bullshit.

That said, who's bright idea was giving spot and mark to tacticians? I've been abusing the hell out of that with bots since maxing airbots tonight. It's given me wayyyyy too much advantage on knowing where to put bots in hot-spots. (Yes, I know they're fixing spot and mark to where people won't show up outside that 30 meter scan like KZ2 had, but let me enjoy it's brokenness right now)

Honestly, I haven't used any other classes since getting Tact to max. Getting the spawns within a few seconds + idiots not taking out the sentries = free points for me.

dorkimoe said:
Are the mechs gonna be one of those things where everyone sprints to it and I'll never get one?
Isn't that pretty much the same with EVERY game that features vehicles? People always rush toward the tank/airplane/mech/etc

Melfice7

fortified_concept said:
After playing the beta I went back to Killzone 2 today. Jesus Christ they CODtardified the game way more than I thought. Fuck off Guerilla I'm not buying this one unless there are some huge changes. KZ2's multiplayer will remain the best of this generation it seems.

this is how i feel too :'(

Zen

Banned
One thing I really like about the beta is the attention that has been paid to limiting the cluster fuck-ness of the experience. Decreasing the amount of grenades, RPG ammo, and explosives in general (combined with the lowered player counts) are all welcome additions. The core gunplay (More recoil, please!) and map design (Capture and Hold Spawn points - Can you not even spawn at captured areas anymore?) could use some work, but there is a lot that's pretty good about this beta. The classes are a dramatic improvement over Killzone 2 (locking classes to specific badges and removing the 'Heavy' from Killzone 2 that had extra health, and the run really fast spam AND the heavy weapons? Sounds good to me).

I can't wait for a map that allows for both jetpacks and the EXO.

Lince

Banned
Zen said:
One thing I really like about the beta is the attention that has been paid to limiting the cluster fuck-ness of the experience. Decreasing the amount of grenades, RPG ammo, and explosives in general (combined with the lowered player counts) are all welcome additions. The core gunplay (More recoil, please!) and map design (Capture and Hold Spawn points - Can you not even spawn at captured areas anymore?) could use some work, but there is a lot that's pretty good about this beta. The classes are a dramatic improvement over Killzone 2 (locking classes to specific badges and removing the 'Heavy' from Killzone 2 that had extra health, and the run really fast spam AND the heavy weapons? Sounds good to me).

I can't wait for a map that allows for both jetpacks and the EXO.

on the contrary, the situation is worse now in KZ3 since we have...

- more classes that can use rockets
- mechs with infinite rockets
- 3 grenades / c4 = grenades and c4 everywhere
- grenade launchers
- infiltrators with unlimited stamina + sprint = worse than KZ2 boost
- full health regeneration, rendering medics useless

Arnie said:
Note: I've seen many people here talking about how this is Alpha Code and we can't judge it too harshly, but this obviously shows a stretch of naivety within certain people. Although this game isn't ready to release yet and still has 3 months of polish, it is certainly beyond your typical Alpha build, regardless of what stamp GG puts on it. I've tested many a game at Alpha build (currently testing Homefront) and the difference in polish is huge. No development studio release a true Alpha build to the public for obvious reasons, and by all accounts this is a public test. This game needs work but if they polish in the right areas could turn out to be a solid multiplayer shooter.

It has nothing to do with the alpha "stamp", but with the fact that we don't know when this build was made. It wasn't made yesterday and this isn't the version of the game currently running in Guerrilla HQ.

KZ2 was tested in a similar time frame and was hugely more polished than this.

Lince said:

- more classes that can use rockets
- mechs with infinite rockets
- 3 grenades / c4 = grenades and c4 everywhere
- grenade launchers

Grenade issue is quite pronounced. They either need to reduce them to 2 per person or to introduce a new skill allowing for 3 grenades.

TheSeks

Plus they have the Spy from TF2's ability to no longer decloak on melee + shooting someone + turrets can't fire on them while disguised while max. trollface.jpg at that.

Uh... you only regen to 80 if you were destroyed to 20% I've played rounds with 80% health and wondered where the fuck a medic blood pack was.

The grenade issue isn't too bad as I haven't seen people abusing them like Call of Duty. But that's probably because NO ONE FLIPPING REPAIRS THE AMMO CRATES. But yeah, giving 2 more to someone for stepping to an ammo crate is "Uh...?"

TheSeks

beast786 said:
Good News. That was one of my biggest complain. No spawn camping at home base I hope. It was one of the big problem in KZ2 especially RA.

Pfft. Did you not see my post about locking the enemy team in on the Winter Dam map?

GG needs to make better maps and spawn points and give players multiple routes out of a place so they don't get boxed in. It's completely common on the highway map and dam map right now. The jetpack map has the ability, but it isn't as common as generally people are rushing for jetpacks and getting out/mobile so the other team can't box them in.

It's completely possible to box in the enemy team in KZ2 (haven't played the DLC, can't say for those), meanwhile.

That said, if the bots are actually goddamn deadly if someone gets into your spawn for once (unlike KZ2), GOOD.

Lince

Banned
and more devs updates...

Hey Lince, it was the fans feedback that led us down this path in the first place (Where we go to extra lengths to prevent spawn camping and to balance the game with the exos).

Ideally I could give you a new update during the beta to play around with these changes but we're no longer allowed to patch in content.

My ideal scenario would be to keep the beta going until we go to Gold Master and to continually provide the community with tweaks/changes/updates. Unfortunately that's just not possible.

The feedback I've received so far, whether it's negative or positive has been immensely helpful. So thanks for taking part and taking the time to comment.

I can tell you I've been playing around with the recoil, damage and damage over distance attributes of the weapons and I'm A LOT happier with their behaviour now. I'm certain you guys will be too. No more LMG sniping.

Also, the differentiation between the weapon is a big deal to me. You're spot on with the AR's in KZ2 and it's still the intention to have that differentiation in KZ3. We haven't messed with the M82 or the StA52 too much. Although there is another difference between the two. The M82 does slightly more per bullet damage but the StA52 has less spread while moving.

The differences between hip-fire and ADS are more pronounced too. Like I said, I'm confidet about the way the guns 'feel' right now and I'm sure you guys will be the same. From the comments I've read from you guys it seems as though we're all singing from the same hymn sheet here.

Our intentions with aim assist is that it's not noticeable. If you can see it easily then we're not being subtle enough. Console shooters need to have an element of aim assist but it was possibly too much for the Beta so this is something we have our eyes on and something we'd rather was a little more seamless and subtle.

We have indeed been playing around with the neutralisation and cature times for the TSP's.

The neutralisation times need to be shorter than the respawn timer to allow a Tact to clear out a TSP and then neutrlise it before the enemy respawn.

We've also added additional TSP's to the maps that required them.

There's been quite a lot of changes since this Beta went live and there will be an article soon that details for you guys what we've already addressed and what we intend to address prior to release.

miracle incoming?

I wonder if it will be the complete opposite of KZ2
KZ2 Beta-HOLYFUCKAWESOMEBESTFPSEVAR!!!
KZ2 Release-HOLYSHITWTFISTHISSHIT!?

KZ3 Beta-HOLYSHITWTFISTHISSHIT!?
KZ3 Release-HOLYSHITAWESOMEBESTFPSEVAR!

pixelbox

TacticalFox88 said:
I wonder if it will be the complete opposite of KZ2
KZ2 Beta-HOLYFUCKAWESOMEBESTFPSEVAR!!!
KZ2 Release-HOLYSHITWTFISTHISSHIT!?

KZ3 Beta-HOLYSHITWTFISTHISSHIT!?
KZ3 Release-HOLYSHITAWESOMEBESTFPSEVAR!

LOL i was thinking the same shit the other day. Now if they could just tell me the "improvements" made to the Medic, I'll be a happy man.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
With all of the comments they've been releasing recently I'm guessing they just finished up a new build taking into account a lot of the beta feedback.

Lince

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
That restores some confidence, but conclusively hearing this beta is it is pretty disappointing.

it's clear Guerrilla devs want to patch in the changes for us to test and provide further feedback since they admit it's the "ideal scenario" but at the same time they state they're not allowed to do so... that's just weird. Maybe they need to go through Sony QA for every patch they want to release and Sony simply denied them further QA time and resources for this particular beta.

Anyway, still awaiting their comments to my other concerns about medics, infiltrators, C4 spamming, custom games, filters for matchmaking, improved p2p host selection and host rating, framerate, spawn on squad leaders and a billion other things.

X-Frame

user friendly said:
Faith restoring.
x2!!!

I also thought I heard it was very difficult for them to add in more TSP's but obviously that's not the case. Very awesome.

And who's idea is it to restrict any further patches to the beta? WTF is that about? Sony's fault or heads at GG? They want to keep the beta going for the game's sake.

Facism

lince, if they turn kz3 around and it becomes something all the GAF clan can enjoy together, i will come to spain and clean your pool.

Also, maybe I'll marry your sister ;d

Lince

Banned
Facism said:
lince, if they turn kz3 around and it becomes something all the GAF clan can enjoy together, i will come to spain and clean your pool.

Also, maybe I'll marry your sister ;d

too bad I moved to a flat way closer to my workplace so no more pool for me :'(

you can still keep my sister, I'm pretty sure she'll be impressed with your turkish steel charm

Facism

Lince said:
too bad I moved to a flat way closer to my workplace so no more pool for me :'(

you can still keep my sister, I'm pretty sure she'll be impressed with your turkish steel charm

Yay new brother :lol

Shame about the pool D:

jorma

is now taking requests
Btw proximity mines, do they even work? Can't say that i've ever been killed by one that i know of, and i've placed them in doorframes (two of them) just before enemies came through them and still nothing...

Rikyfree

Must resist rehyping...... hope.... coming... back...

I think in addition to more TSP's, it would be great to add more than one base spawn point.

Lince

Banned
makingmusic476 said:
Lince, do you have a link to the specific thread that response is from on the beta forums? I'd love to read exactly what he was responding to.

that's a compilation of replies from the different threads I posted in, seems like acidcatfish took the time to reply in all of them today!

I guess everything started with the epic feedback that was posted yesterday, seems like that made them react somehow and felt obliged to reply. Anyway, since the beta forums are such a mess you better start from page 2-3 of the feedback section and look for the threads with new replies added today. You'll find the original discussions there.

Lince

Banned
jorma said:
Btw proximity mines, do they even work? Can't say that i've ever been killed by one that i know of, and i've placed them in doorframes (two of them) just before enemies came through them and still nothing...

sounds like lag, I can confirm C4 sticks are everywhere and that they do indeed work :lol

jorma

is now taking requests
Lince said:
sounds like lag, I can confirm C4 sticks are everywhere and that they do indeed work :lol

Ok, yeah i guess it might have been lag - i'll try some more then..

edit: yeah they work just fine, i'll never equip grenades again! :p

Zen

Banned
I (tentatively) agree, but we'll see!

Lince said:

- more classes that can use rockets - This still amounts to less people using rockets, from my experience with the game.
- mechs with infinite rockets - Only on one map, that's also the largest.
- 3 grenades / c4 = grenades and c4 everywhere Haven't seen this yet, to be honest, although 2 grenades maximum should be standard, starting with 1 only
- grenade launchers the new grenade launcher in Killzone 3 MP is less spammy, uses grenades as ammo, and has a low ammo count. Contrast that to the old M327 Grenade Launcher
- infiltrators with unlimited stamina + sprint = worse than KZ2 boost disagree, especially since the unlimited sprint in locked to one class, you don't see it abused as much, or as effectively as the Killzone 2 boost ability, hopefully it gets changed though!
- full health regeneration, rendering medics useless Medics are invaluable for reviving downed party members, thus preventing them from having to respawn all the way back at base, and walk all the way back, with the current system they're needed to help keep pressure on at key locations

- The larger level size in conjunction with lower player counts
- Overall better/more entrances to things like demolition points
- No Spawn grenades being thrown 10 feet in front of the objective and then camped, or dynamic spans being placed and then both teams just spawning/dying as they run into a small room that's a total death zone from 15 minutes until the objective ends.
- The Rocket Launcher starting out with 1 shot and having to reload at the ammo crates
- The overall faster pace discouraging rocket spam as a tactic, unlike the 32 player Killzone 2 rocket enabled shitfests on Radec or [insert almost any map here that wasn't part of the DLC packs].

We can agree to disagree, but aiming/level design aside, I've had a much smoother experience with the beta than the types of things that went on in Killzone 2.

dorkimoe

Finally played a warzone match and here is my two cents about the mechs

they spawn way to much/fast. I was thinking i was going to see 1 per match and once it died it would be gone, so it would be impossible for me to ever use one. everytime one died another would almost instantly spawn. do not want.

they should also slow down the machine gun on it, or have the aiming a little slower. little to unbalanced, i understand its a mech but if you are going to have one spawn every 2 minutes then they should be more balanced.

I would say just remove the mechs, i would rather them be in just the bodycount matches then warzone. made for going for the objectives near impossible

A.R.K

Lince said:
and more devs updates...

miracle incoming?

wow thats really promising to hear. But they not updating the beta and test out the changes is a risk IMO. Hope they come through at the end and the release game is glorious!

By the way I played another session this weekend and finally got in a balanced match with 8vs8 (both teams were actually working for the objectives, no K/D whoring). And I can tell you despite the recoil, low health issues etc, problems that we have been complaining on here and official forums, I really enjoyed the game. And there was little to no lag for some reason. Which helped a lot to say the least. If they fix the core problems and have some well designed maps, this game will be a winner.

Cagen

Excellent. I'd given up on multiplayer from the original feedback, what little there was, though what we got wasnt what I wanted. Hopefully GAFe will be back together full force.

Loudninja

European Killzone 3 editions detailed!
Aside from the Standard Edition, there will also be a Collector’s Edition in “SteelBook” packaging. It includes a PlayStation Network voucher code that can be redeemed for a downloadable copy of the Killzone 3 soundtrack and the dynamic XMB theme, as well as a Retro Map Pack that brings two battlefields from Killzone 2 back into the fight.

And that’s not all! If you pre-order the Collector’s Edition through participating retailers, you will receive an additional voucher code for one of the following pre-order bonus packs. (We’ll update our pre-order page with retailers and pre-order offers as they become available, so check back often.)
http://www.killzone.com/kz3/en_US/blog/news/2010-11-30_helghast-edition_eu.html

KZObsessed

I'll probably just get the "steelbook" edition to go with my KZ1/KZ2 "steelbooks" :p

The Steelbook won't be available in the US. Only in Europe.

Looks like just the Standard and Higg edition for the US.

Top Bottom