• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

Jim

Man, I'm slow as shit these days. My Veteran playthrough is definitely 8+ hours.
Not that I got stuck on anything in particular, I end up just taking my time strategizing instead of running and gunning since I was enjoying it so much.

Even when you have to replay tough bits, it's actually fun since the AI puts up a good fight and mixes things up.

Also, I had no problem with the frequency of the story scenes at all, personally. They are spaced out well and none are THAT long.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Jim said:
Man, I'm slow as shit these days. My Veteran playthrough is definitely 8+ hours.
Not that I got stuck on anything in particular, I end up just taking my time strategizing instead of running and gunning since I was enjoying it so much.

Even when you have to replay tough bits, it's actually fun since the AI puts up a good fight and mixes things up.

Also, I had no problem with the frequency of the story scenes at all, personally. They are spaced out well and none are THAT long.

Doing an Elite run Jim?

Animator

Is this posted yet?

http://www.destructoid.com/killzone...ed-194335.phtml
Post-launch patch fixes detailed:

* A fix to the "Your Faction Has Won/Lost" issue, along with all oddities that resulted from this occurring
* An issue that allowed more than two clans to join a clan match will be fixed
* Increased Accuracy, Bullet Damage and Faster Reload Ribbons will update correctly on personal statistics screens
* Simplified the process to invite players into your game (just one button press)
* The radius of the Marksman's Scramble++ has been lowered
* Medic's Revive distance increased and cooldown to re-use is decreased
* No collision on mortally wounded player bodies
* Increased player stamina
* An icon will be shown in the menu when you have a Killzone 3 message in your inbox

Changes coming some time after:

* Support for colour-blind players
* Implement unranked custom games for players to create private or clan matches
* Enhanced custom games functionality that will allow players to control over games modes and settings; secure games, allowing you to invite the players you want to play with; the ability to prevent abilities and weapons from being used; toggling on and off functionality, such as ribbons, skills, explosives, etc; selecting which careers you want available to players; allow friendly fire to be turned on or off; faction switching enabled or disabled
* The Clan Officer role will be added to clans
* Separate turn speeds for hip-fire and ADS
* Overly enthusiastic death screams will be toned down
* Increased the amount of kills required to win a Guerrilla Warfare match
* Increased Accuracy ribbon will have its effectiveness lowered
* Likewise, the Bullet Damage ribbon will have its effectiveness lowered as well
* Matches will end if the other team forfeits (i.e. too few, or no players on the enemy team)
* Matchmaking enhancements that will close and merge games based on player count, which will keep games more full
* Balance factions out by moving players to the other team at the end of the match if one team is lopsided
* The ability to turn off HUD markers for point pop-ups and objectives
* A menu option to allow squad-only chat
* The addition of a Mute All button
* Scoreboard flickering will be fixed
* Clans will no longer get matched against other clans that have many more players than they do (i.e. 4 vs. 7, 5 vs. 8)

GraveRobberX

CozMick said:
Honestly, where are people getting there info about MLAA?

Killzone 3, God of War 3 and LittleBigPlanet 2 look downright godly on my tv, not blurry in the slightest.

Even HOME has MLAA (quite sure)

Nizz

So safe to say those who won the Helghast Editions of the game have been notified already? I checked my email, didn't see anything. I never win anything. :(

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Just wanted to chime in and say that playing KZ2 again (SP and MP) has given me more appreciation for it than I did at launch. Glad that it has aged well and improved with time.

.GqueB.

Banned
mr_nothin said:
Yay!
They fixed a couple of things that REALLY REALLY bothered me.
Seperate sensi settings for hip-fire and ADS?!? Every single shooter should have this. That right there is a Godsend. I dont understand why more FPS games dont have this. I think this alone is going to make me buy this game day one now. This will really help me against the super high sensitivity players (im a low sensi player). Now I can run around and turn faster but then be a lot more precise when I go to ADS. I hated being stuck to slow turning speeds because I wanted lower ADS sensitivity.

I hated getting stuck on mortally wounded players, especially when they blocked a doorway.
Im a low sensi as well. Didnt know there were more of us out there. In the beta, I actually had it turned downed to 0%. Everything above that seemed almost unmanageable.

borrowed a friends move and tried out the single player demo. I used TTP's original settings posted in another thread. I don't know if i like the move? Maybe I need more practice, but im trying ot rest my hand on my leg so i dont get tired using it. I hate the reload gesture, so I use the reload button on the move, but its far up from my thumb, so it doesnt feel i can reload as fast.

Seems I can get headshots waaaay easier once I zoom in. Taking multiple enemies on is a breeze. I ran out of ammo very quickly though.

I cant imagine trying to play through multiplayer with everything being much more fast paced.

Did TTP update the move settigns?

Thrakier

TrAcEr_x90 said:
borrowed a friends move and tried out the single player demo. I used TTP's original settings posted in another thread. I don't know if i like the move? Maybe I need more practice, but im trying ot rest my hand on my leg so i dont get tired using it. I hate the reload gesture, so I use the reload button on the move, but its far up from my thumb, so it doesnt feel i can reload as fast.

Seems I can get headshots waaaay easier once I zoom in. Taking multiple enemies on is a breeze. I ran out of ammo very quickly though.

I cant imagine trying to play through multiplayer with everything being much more fast paced.

Did TTP update the move settigns?

Thing is, a lot depends on the calibration process and how far you sit from your TV. So you have to find your own settings. Try to play around with the sensitivity settings after the calibration process.

GraveRobberX

TrAcEr_x90 said:

Did TTP update the move settings?

Remember Move settings should be different for each user, should be based on your preferences

They are like sensitivity setting for controllers. Low/Medium/High/Extreme.

Go into BotZone, start either @0% all settings or 100% all settings for Move

Now start working up or down, see what you feel comfortable with

I used TTP settings, but felt a little slow, so I upped up 10-20% in settings, found my sweet spot

Only things I hate is the reload twist/melee lunge, it makes you lose your steady placement

Melee should be a fast downward slash, and reload a fast upward slash, from the rest position (like flicks, quick flick up/down)

Late to this, but great OP. :D Also, hell yes to the multiplayer fixes in the retail version. Increased stamina, and other great stuff, is music to my ears! I'm more confident now. :)

Rikyfree

.GqueB. said:
Im a low sensi as well. Didnt know there were more of us out there. In the beta, I actually had it turned downed to 0%. Everything above that seemed almost unmanageable.
I'm low sensitivity too. I had mine at about 20%. It helps when trying to be careful at aiming at targets from a long distance.

GraveRobberX said:
Remember Move settings should be different for each user, should be based on your preferences

I used TTP settings, but felt a little slow, so I upped up 10-20% in settings, found my sweet spot

Only things I hate is the reload twist/melee lunge, it makes you lose your steady placement

Melee should be a fast downward slash, and reload a fast upward slash, from the rest position (like flicks, quick flick up/down)

you can use the buttons on the move for those, but I feel its awkward reaching for the tiny buttons on the move.

Torgo

Those auto-convert on my Mac from the original TGA's, but I can look into the settings. Problem is, I got complaints when they were bigger files too lol.

Violater

Wish amazon would just send my copy early so I can get the SP out of the way.
But chances are the online will be buggy day one, giving me change to get through the sp.

Rikyfree

My local gamestop called and told me they're doing a midnight launch for this. So I'll have this at midnight on the 22nd.

Torgo

lowrider007 said:
"6 hours on Veteran"?

Did you feel like you rushed through the game?, how did you log your play time?

I probably rushed a bit the first time. On my 2nd playthrough with Move, it probably took me around 7'ish hours on Veteran.

kamspy said:
Is it good split screen or RE5 / Lost Planet 2 janky split screen?

It's pretty good. It's side-by-side, but neither fills the side. There's a bit of black space above or below. It was definitely better than what I expected.

fernoca said:
Dumb question but, can you take screenshots while you play the game?:p

Not that I've seen

Image-wise, the shots were originally about 3.2MB each, and compressed-down to about 300k roughly, so that may explain some of the "blurriness". I can look into getting some higher-res stuff up over the weekend.

Synless

I asked this on the last page and got no answer so I'll ask again. Does split-screen have dual account sign-in for the second player?

GraveRobberX

Synless said:
Where can I bitch about this? I'm sick of games not supporting this if they have splitscreen or more than one player.

I think Sony implemented 2 accounts logged in same time

Was through firmware patch or something

The only thing was, it wasn't mandatory or required and left up to the developers discretion to use it

I think Resistance 2 used it, I remember hearing talk about this back then when it came out

Same thing goes for custom soundtracks, they are enabled but up to dev to put them in

Sony gives them the abilities to use it, dev's discretion, devs mood meh, more work for nothing

Microsoft makes it mandatory, or games have to follow guidelines set by MS, dev's have to do it, if it not game not playable on 360's until it is

Synless

GraveRobberX said:
I think Sony implemented 2 accounts logged in same time

Was through firmware patch or something

The only thing was, it wasn't mandatory or required and left up to the developers discretion to use it

I think Resistance 2 used it, I remember hearing talk about this back then when it came out

Same thing goes for custom soundtracks, they are enabled but up to dev to put them in

Sony gives them the abilities to use it, dev's discretion, devs mood meh, more work for nothing

Microsoft makes it mandatory, or games have to follow guidelines set by MS, dev's have to do it, if it not game not playable on 360's until it is
I know they implemented it, but it is only if a dev puts it in. All I am saying is that it is ridiculous that a major first party game doesn't even use it.

GraveRobberX

Synless said:
I know they implemented it, but it is only if a dev puts it in. All I am saying is that it is ridiculous that a major first party game doesn't even use it.

I understand your frustration, but who know what reasons lie behind why it isn't universally used or even through first party.

Look at start's OP, look @ removed features, things taken away =/

CozMick

Banned
Just got the unlock points from the Home game, fairly easy to be honest.

I also have the Steelbook edition ordered with another 3 unlock points.

Does this mean I will get 6 unlock points once the game releases or is there a cap?

Thanks.

GraveRobberX

CozMick said:
Just got the unlock points from the Home game, fairly easy to be honest.

I also have the Steelbook edition ordered with another 3 unlock points.

Does this mean I will get 6 unlock points once the game releases or is there a cap?

Thanks.

Most are speculating that it's stack-able, I mean it would ruin the pre-order bonus if you can just get it from HOME and others pay to get it or go out of there way to get it

Bog

Junior Ace
Was surprised to see this on the shelf at Target today. No idea if their registers would actually let it sell early though.

CozMick

Banned
GraveRobberX said:
Most are speculating that it's stack-able, I mean it would ruin the pre-order bonus if you can just get it from HOME and others pay to get it or go out of there way to get it

Sounds good, thanks for the info ;)

X-Frame

I'm getting the 3 unlock points from Amazon, so the Home game points better be stackable or that'd be a waste. Gonna do it this weekend just in case.

CozMick

Banned
X-Frame said:
I'm getting the 3 unlock points from Amazon, so the Home game points better be stackable or that'd be a waste. Gonna do it this weekend just in case.

If you haven't seen or played the Home game yet, prepare yourself for 30-45min of pure unadulterated boredom.

Not the shooting part but the "other" part.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
kamspy said:
Nice. I just tried to play Lost Planet 2 with my brother and it was like taping 2 PSPs on my TV and trying to play from the couch. That looks a little better. Wish there was an option to say fuck the aspect ratio and gun models and just play with a regular split though.
Meh.
The opposite it's true to me, very much prefer how Resi5 or Modern Warfare 2 handle things, which look awesome in my 120" screen but still playable on my 46" panny plasma. Instead, here you can't see shit in co-op, I mean look at how much view they cut loose left and right... Way TOO fucking much, that's for sure. Split screen hypeness fading by the minutes, no Move support was already screwed up but at least I can hope for a patch to maybe fix it in the future; this shit? Not so much.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
CozMick said:
If you haven't seen or played the Home game yet, prepare yourself for 30-45min of pure unadulterated boredom.

Not the shooting part but the "other" part.

Took me over an hour :\

Anyways, just called my local gamestop, and they are doing a midnight release on Monday night (I'm in NYC). Time to cancel my Amazon preorder, I reckon. Too bad gamestop's preorder bonus sucks.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
GraveRobberX said:

Fully agree with this. The reload is fine with me, and I can reach the square button easily (I have pretty average to small hands, how tiny are you guys?) if I don't want to twist.

I ordered the sharp shooter so I'll reload with slapping the clip or cocking it like a shotgun.

Thunderbear said:
Fully agree with this. The reload is fine with me, and I can reach the square button easily (I have pretty average to small hands, how tiny are you guys?) if I don't want to twist.

I ordered the sharp shooter so I'll reload with slapping the clip or cocking it like a shotgun.

Umm... the cocking function seems to fire the weapon at the moment (at least that is what it does in the demo). This may be corrected in the retail release.

nib95

Banned
So I've completed it once already, started co-op with one mate, started co-op campaign with another, and am now considering starting the game again solo on Veteran. In other words, for me personality, re-playability is brilliant. Game's got me wanting to go back for more...and more.

I wanna play more MP but if the servers are going to re-set, I won't waste my time.

nib95 said:
So I've completed it once already, started co-op with one mate, started co-op campaign with another, and am now considering starting the game again solo on Veteran. In other words, for me personality, re-playability is brilliant. Game's got me wanting to go back for more...and more.

I wanna play more MP but if the servers are going to re-set, I won't waste my time.
Please don't take this the wrong way: would you say the firefights are similar to Halo where each time you play there's different stuff going on? Or is it a bit more scripted (say... COD), or somewhere in-between?

Thanks!

nib95

Banned
FunkyPajamas said:
Please don't take this the wrong way: would you say the firefights are similar to Halo where each time you play there's different stuff going on? Or is it a bit more scripted (say... COD), or somewhere in-between?

Thanks!

I'd say somewhere in-between. Some of the levels themselves are massive, but you are still relatively funneled to some degree. Where the differences come in to play are orders and ways in which you take on enemies, since in KZ3 there is a lot of vertical and horizontal shooting going on at any given time. How you take them on will change depending on the player.

Playing co-op for example. My friend plays a very different style to me. I prefer to mow down ground troops first with heavy machine/turret gun artillery (unless there are rocketeers around who need to be killed first) staying behind cover, picking off the roofers last. Whereas my flat mate would snipe off the people above (balcony's, bridges, buildings etc) first, and then use grenades, machine guns or rocket launchers to dispose of groups on the ground.

But I would say all three of my plays through the campaign have been different. Mainly because there are actually more weapons than you have time to use. For example, I've still used very little of the rocket launcher, shotgun (used the shotgun pistol more) and flame thrower. I'm also meleeing less now that I've upped the difficulty (they dispose of you in seconds), so firefights are definitely more tactical and drawn out.

I think the most impressive thing for me with the game now though, on top of the tactile gunplay, is the AI. It's just sublime, possibly the best in a shooter yet. It was great in KZ2 as well, but now reaction times from enemy and ally AI just seems more natural and snappy. Not sure what else you could expect from them to be honest within the confines of fair gaming. On the harder difficulties they do some hilariously awesome stuff, and react so fast I'm constantly giggling. One shot misses their head, forget about seeing him again for a while. They will cower, blind fire, shift around behind whatever cover they have slyly to throw you off of their position, lob a grenade and wait for it to blow and just as it does pop up to shoot whilst you are still dazed or covered in smoke. Other times when they sense serious danger (you charging at them with a massive turret), they will leg it in hilarious fashion. Then there's the team work employed, they are lethal.

Friendly AI is also vastly improved. Rico is a bad ass at times. Definitely more intelligent in veteran. I've died, seen him shout, I'm comin for you Sev! Watched him cap a Helghan in the head metres in-front of me, run and slide behind cover, pop up and head shot another, and then run to revive me and rush back in to cover. Pretty awesome stuff.

lantus

~Kinggi~ said:
This shit just happened in like the last hour. Bullet-storm had it added too.

Both get!

edit: weird cause i dont get the 20$ confirmation promotion at checkout like i did for BulletStorm.

I had it happen to me before too with Red Dead Redemption, the credit was still applied to my account when my game shipped. So I wouldn't think anything of it.

Top Bottom