• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE 3 |OT| The King Is Dead. Long Live The King.

Bollocks

Dibbz said:
OK Bollocks, I've added you.
You sure?
I still don't have the clan tag and ever since I applied for the clan it takes ages to join a game, it just sits there till I abort and retry. Now I join a game 1/10 times ._.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I need someone to play this with... also... what DLC do I need (and not need) to get started?

I'm mostly a BC2 player these days, but I want something to fill the gap until BF3 and honestly, I never really gave KZ3 a fair shake in mp (though I love these games SP, ever since KZ1. I'm a huge fan of the developer/franchise)

Stoffinator

Evolved1 said:
I need someone to play this with... also... what DLC do I need (and not need) to get started?

Get them all. Only $10 :p Worse map comes with the game and that's Jungle.

I still play this a lot of anyone wants to add me.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
just got a sharpshooter and trying to pickup K3 again. oh god what am I doing, I feel like I've got brain damage. anyone clue me in on the best settings? I wanna sit down while playing i think which some Move games do not approve of...

Stoffinator

Pie and Beans said:
just got a sharpshooter and trying to pickup K3 again. oh god what am I doing, I feel like I've got brain damage. anyone clue me in on the best settings? I wanna sit down while playing i think which some Move games do not approve of...

Fiddle with the settings until you find whats comfortable. They are different for each person.

D-Pad

Stoffinator said:
Get them all. Only $10 :p Worse map comes with the game and that's Akmir Snowdrift.

I still play this a lot of anyone wants to add me.

True that, though it's quickly becoming Boulevard, a.k.a. sniper city.

Bollocks said:
You sure?
I still don't have the clan tag and ever since I applied for the clan it takes ages to join a game, it just sits there till I abort and retry. Now I join a game 1/10 times ._.

It appears that you're going to have to wait for the devs to finish whatever maintenance they've been doing with the website for the past couple of weeks. :\ Once the live feed comes back you'll be able to accept the acceptance and finalize the membership deal.

... Maybe I should give move and sharp shooter another shot. I've never been able to get the controls right, and aiming is surprisingly difficult...

kuYuri

Can someone help me get this damn Team Player trophy? I have no friends who play this and it's one of the only ones I have left before I get the platinum. :(

Dibbz

Bollocks said:
You sure?
Hmm I think I accepted you on the site but must be buggy still, whatever, I got you on PSN. It's Docta right?

Pie, make sure you get your calibration right first and foremost. Just play around with it and you should find where it is comfortable. Maybe try adding a bounding box of 20% both ways so your not spazing all over the place to begin with.

patsu

D-Pad said:
True that, though it's quickly becoming Boulevard, a.k.a. sniper city.

They are annoying if they aim at the objective room entrances.

I like to spawn as Infiltrator, go all the way to the end of the Boulevard (or the balcony) and melee them from behind though. Then leave a mine behind in case they come back again. ^_^

FreeMufasa

Just finished this. Immediate thought, it just isn't right without Vasari and Radec.

I only played the campaign and overall, thought it was allright. I don't think the story is as terrible as people made it out to be but it was still very meh. I think they should have kept the Helghasts appearance more mysterious. They're not even hiding they're Space Nazis now. Gameplay is very standard. I prefer Killzone 2 but I do like the slide function. Graphically, it looks better than Killzone 2 in some areas and worse in others, it's still a very good looking game though. I also didnt like how the game felt a lot more Rambo style than Killzone 2. Killzone 2 had its moments but it still felt like you were part of a grand war. Especially when you drop down on Helghan in the 1st or 2nd act.

I also don't like how much they emasculated Rico. Feels like they listened to fans on forums about how much they hate Rico and set out to satisfy them by showing him being shot down by Narville countless times. Don't get me wrong, I don't really like Rico either (Or Natko for that matter. No-one every mentions how he's equally as annoying as Rico and where was he in Killzone 3?) but I just didn't like how fan servicey it appeared. Could have been done better.

Good game but no way near what I was expecting out of Killzone 3.

Grinchy

Banned
FreeMufasa said:
I also don't like how much they emasculated Rico. Feels like they listened to fans on forums about how much they hate Rico and set out to satisfy them by showing him being shot down by Narville countless times. Don't get me wrong, I don't really like Rico either (Or Natko for that matter. No-one every mentions how he's equally as annoying as Rico and where was he in Killzone 3?) but I just didn't like how fan servicey it appeared. Could have been done better.
So, you don't think the attitude towards Rico could be based on the story in any way? Like how Rico had just been responsible for a major fuck up? I know that the constant bashing could have in part been a fan service, or even more generally it could have been kind of an inside joke, but if his superior was anything other than angry with him, that would have made no fucking sense. He should have been getting yelled at and his input should have been ignored IMO.

FreeMufasa

Grinchy said:
So, you don't think the attitude towards Rico could be based on the story in any way? Like how Rico had just been responsible for a major fuck up? I know that the constant bashing could have in part been a fan service, or even more generally it could have been kind of an inside joke, but if his superior was anything other than angry with him, that would have made no fucking sense. He should have been getting yelled at and his input should have been ignored IMO.

Yeah it likely was. It just seemed very forced to me.

I played KZ3 online for the first time in months last night and I had a pretty good time. I was reminded of the reasons why I like but don't love the game, but when everything is going smoothly the game is fantastic. I still haven't tried any of the DLC maps yet.

patsu

My PS3 monitor died a few weeks ago, so I stopped playing for a while. Bought a 3D monitor yesterday. Will get back real soon now ! Can't wait to try KZ3 3D with Move !

patsu

Since R3 matchmaking is out, I replayed the snow level in 3D yesterday. My god, it is glorious. The world became alive in 3D. I always thought the snow level is boring because everything is white. Only the ocean and flakes are interesting.

In 3D, the flat, white, washed out world becomes darker, with depth and well defined contours. Enemies are easier to spot even if they are hiding behind, or among, complex geometries. Even the waves appear huge because now I see the entire sea level heaving up and down, as opposed to just waves drawn on a 2D plane.

The 3D effect has flaws, like I can see some jaggies once in a while, and 1-2 artifacts. The res is lower. Because the good part of the art becomes more pronounced at the same time, I can appreciate the visuals better. It adds a solid feel to the characters, the textures become more integrated and tangible in the game.

Very intrigued by the experience. Can't wait to replay the entire game when I have time !

JB1981

The_Darkest_Red said:
I played KZ3 online for the first time in months last night and I had a pretty good time. I was reminded of the reasons why I like but don't love the game, but when everything is going smoothly the game is fantastic. I still haven't tried any of the DLC maps yet.
I did the same after putting some time into the R3 beta and it made me appreciate this game all the more. I am thinking of getting the DLC maps. I love Warzone on a good map and a good team. The community seems to have gotten better, people actually go for TSPs and the objectives.

Massa

JB1981 said:
Are the DLC maps well populated ?

Yes. Thanks to the matchmaking system, the player population is basically split in only two camps: all dlc maps + original maps and only original maps. Both are well populated and always easy to find a game on.

JB1981

Massa said:
Yes. Thanks to the matchmaking system, the player population is basically split in only two camps: all dlc maps + original maps and only original maps. Both are well populated and always easy to find a game on.

Can you set a certain DLC map as map preference?

Massa

JB1981 said:
Can you set a certain DLC map as map preference?

You can join a server that only plays a certain map, but those are usually less filled. You may not find a game unless you're playing at peak hours on a popular map.

You can of course vote for the map you want to play at the end of each round, so it's not a static rotation of all maps.

patsu

Yes, DLC maps and built-in maps are all frequently played. Better know your maps well ! ^_^

I think it's ever more important for a thinking shooter.

patsu

Hmm... you get to vote for maps. I still see old maps being played.

We'll see how R3 turn out by end of next week or week after. ^_^
The devs said they have most of the fixes under QA now.

I realized that patch 1.11 was released while I was away. Just updated yesterday. Also playing KZ3 now until R3 matchmaking is fixed.

Good thing I can adjust between the 2 shooters without confusing their controls so far. I am replaying the campaign mode in full 3D. I highly recommend people to replay the game if they get a 3D monitor/TV. It plays very differently in 3D.

D-Pad

Dibbz, I sent a request through the PS3's message system as MitchellHyde26 to join the GAF KZ3 clan. Not sure if you can do anything while maintenance is going on but my sister just joined two clans in the past two days, so...

Edit - Went ahead and joined another group.

Razgreez

Just completed this. Ending was rather abrupt. Acting/script was, at time, mind numbing. Gameplay is top drawer though. I'll never be able to play a shooter with anything but move on the PS3 again. Since i don't play online i'm now itching for another move FPS or shooter. Not SOCOM 4 though, tried that rubbish already

Loudninja

Killzone 3 patch 1.12 detailed
The changes in full:

CAREERS:

Changed Marksman's scramble ability into an active ability - The marksman scramble ability now needs to be activated and deactivated via the d-pad, and has a cooldown period.

Increased tracking response for engineer turrets - The turn speed of turrets has been increased, allowing them to track players more easily.

Increased armor for engineer turrets (30%) - Turrets can still be destroyed by a single explosion from a grenade or missile launcher.

WEAPONS:

Improved StA-2 Battle Pistol - Detonation time for the StA-2 Battle Pistol's grenade is shorter, and the damage it deals is more severe.

MAPS:

Added realtime projector to MP15 Radec Academy - A realtime projector has been added to the theater room, projecting onto the large wall with two doors.

SOUND:

Toned down overly enthusiastic death screams - Aieeeeaaargh!

MATCHES:

Increased mission points in Warzone - There is more of an incentive to go after mission objectives now.

Doubled cooldown time on mortars - Cooldown time was increased from 30 to 60 seconds to avoid spamming the Search & Destroy mission area.

Fixed tournaments not ending as soon as one clan leaves.

Fixed clans being able to rejoin games that were already finished - Clans used these exploits to boost their game wins and climb the leaderboards.

Reduced wait time at end of the round - The wait time was brought down from 60 to 45 seconds.

Reduced pre-game wait time at end of the round - The wait time was brought down from 30 to 20 seconds.

INTERFACE:

Added menu option to disable Sixaxis-only actions - Sixaxis-only actions can now be switched off in the menu, so players only have to press 'O' to start an action. This will make Killzone 3 more accessible to disabled players.

Added map name to spawn screen - The map name can be seen in the top left, under the titles.

Patch 1.12 goes live on Tuesday, 6th September.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-09-02-killzone-3-patch-1-12-detailed

Reckoner

I was playing Killzone 3 last night and the thing that forces me to keep away from it is the fact that the mp maps feel poorly designed compared to some of Killzone 2. I loved those more wide open maps where being a marksman was a possible thing, now I just see me taking shots from every place. It is a mess and doesn't feel competitive at all.

Dibbz

New patch sounds great. Not been able to put much time into KZ3 the last month but I'll be back on it a lot more after this patch hopefully.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I finally managed to beat this about two weeks ago (and thus knocked one more game off of my huge backlog), and I enjoyed it.

I was surprised at how short the single player was, especially in comparison to Killzone 1 and Killzone 2, but overall, it was a fun game.

Me and my wife played a little co-op, but I ultimately finished it myself. That ending was pretty good, and still leaves things open for the future installments (they should do a networked, open world style game where players can choose which side to fight for, and battle it out. kind of like a massively multiplayer competitive mmo).

I'd like to see Killzone 1 and Killzone: Liberation given the HD PS3 treatment though, because my UMD of Liberation broke, and I can't find my copy of Killzone. :(

Visuals were spectacular, story was interesting, and the gameplay was pretty varied, locations also.

I actually kind of wish I had a 3DTV, just out of curiosity, since I have a handful of games that support it, but I'm not too keen on playing games in 3D (I played Mafia 2 on a 3D PC at E32010, and that was actually pretty cool, but I'm mostly worried about motion sickness).

patsu

Very impressed that GG continue to work on KZ3. Will try out new patch.

Figboy79, KZ3 3D is very rich. I love the experience although it did give me a little headache at the beginning. Playing in 3D is like a new game.

Wake me up when the patch adds online co op (something that should have been in the game when it launched), maybe then I'll buy the game. Maybe.

test_account

XP-39C²
"Added menu option to disable Sixaxis-only actions – Sixaxis-only actions can now be switched off in the menu, so players only have to press ‘O’ to start an action. This will make Killzone 3 more accessible to disabled players."

It is cool that they have an option to turn off the sixaxis movements in single player for those who dont like it, but this made me wonder about one thing: what type of disabling does people have if they cant tilt the controller side to side, but still are able to play the game?

AranhaHunter said:
Wake me up when the patch adds online co op (something that should have been in the game when it launched), maybe then I'll buy the game. Maybe.
I think that you will be sleeping for a long long time hehe :p If they havnt added it by now, nor even hinted at it, i think that there is a really slim chance that online co-op will be added.

Ravage

Figboy79 said:
(they should do a networked, open world style game where players can choose which side to fight for, and battle it out. kind of like a massively multiplayer competitive mmo).

Sounds pretty awesome, but isn't that what MAG is already doing?

Figboy79 said:
Visuals were spectacular, story was interesting, and the gameplay was pretty varied, locations also.

Glad you enjoyed it. Co-op is fantastic and i had a total blast playing it with my brother. Surprisingly, he was the one who insisted on completing the entire KZ3 campaign that night despite his huge dislike for shooters.

WEAPONS:

Improved StA-2 Battle Pistol - Detonation time for the StA-2 Battle Pistol's grenade is shorter, and the damage it deals is more severe.

Oh YESSS!! :D

Bollocks

Nice that scramble can now be activated, my sniper is maxed out except the scramble, I didn't want them to know I was there :D
Love the new patch.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Ravage said:
Sounds pretty awesome, but isn't that what MAG is already doing?

Glad you enjoyed it. Co-op is fantastic and i had a total blast playing it with my brother. Surprisingly, he was the one who insisted on completing the entire KZ3 campaign that night despite his huge dislike for shooters.

Oh YESSS!! :D

Yeah, MAG is definitely doing it, but I actually find the Killzone world extremely interesting. One of my gripes with the series is that the games hardly ever covered any of that deep backstory that makes up the universe.

I think a larger scale, "MMO-FPS" style Killzone could be amazing. Hell, make it a Fallout style RPFPS, with players able to go from Vekta to Helghan for quests, while fleshing out the game world. You could even set the timeline back to when the Helghasts first broke away from the ISA, and the whole conflict began. Damn, now I'm pumped about a game I'll never see...

BPK

Just picked this up. Really enjoying the strory mode, but is the multiplayer supposed to be this chaotic? It doesn't seem competitive at all.

patsu

What do you mean by chaotic ?

What mode are you playing ?

Operation is more intense. Warzone is more tactical, and you usually have to work quite hard to win, but not as hard as MAG.

Curious what the player count of this is like compared to KZ2 at its peak. Pretty much everyone on my FL who played KZ2 religiously for months on end dropped this like a hot coal after about a few weeks. Main complaints seemed to be the poor maps, changes to classes and lack of tact spawn.

Monarch

Banned
The fuck is ?!

Be able to activate scramble ?! Some people were creating new accounts just to not add this upgrade, to be completely undetectable, thats sucks big time.
Marksman was already cheated with the automatic rifle... and now this ? Unbelievable GG :(

Dibbz

Monarch said:
The fuck is ?!

Be able to activate scramble ?! Some people were creating new accounts just to not add this upgrade, to be completely undetectable, thats sucks big time.
Marksman was already cheated with the automatic rifle... and now this ? Unbelievable GG :(
Wait. What are you talking about? Scramble was always an ability for Marksmen but now it does not have infinite use. It will have to be activated like tacticians spot and mark and will have a cool down.

This will help stop marksmen blocking your radar for an unlimited amount of time without intending to do it.

Monarch

Banned
Dibbz said:
Wait. What are you talking about? Scramble was always an ability for Marksmen but now it does not have infinite use. It will have to be activated like tacticians spot and mark and will have a cool down.

This will help stop marksmen blocking your radar for an unlimited amount of time without intending to do it.

Scramble was in my opinion not useful for the Marksmen class, quite the opposite as a matter of fact. If I was in the opposite team, I would just found another spot out of scramble's range and that would be it. Actually, if I see that that my radar is scrambled, it means that there is a Marksmen around, I KNOW someone is here waiting to kill me in the back with an assault rifle. It was useful for me.
But now, if you understand what I'm saying, Marksmens will be never be detected and it opens the gate to more camping cuz Marksmen won't activate the scramble ability.

Top Bottom