• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone 3 stand alone multiplayer on US PSN next week (All maps, free w/ level cap)

Dibbz

You know one thing that almost killed the MP for me? The fuckin marksman class. Rarely has a class induced so much rage in a game for me.

Marksman is easy mode. By that I mean if the other team has one that doesn't understand it, it's easy to beat them :p

EDIT: Rage check out this vid I recorded a while ago. S&D on Salamun, 2 minutes on the clock, we have 0 spawns and yet we win the round. lol

http://youtu.be/843C0fnyIZs?hd=1

Sean

Banned
I wasn't aware you could play sales.

And for those thinking they'll stop at the level cap, thats gonna be tough because:

1) KZ3 doesn't separate levels like KZ2 did. You're gonna be playing against CiC
2) If the level cap is really low, like level 10 as I suspect, that means you will get 10 unlock points
3) Fully unlocking one class takes 22 unlock points
4) A single tier 3 unlock takes a total of 5-6 points to get.

So you will be playing against people who heal 3x faster than you, have super-tracking airbots, rocket firing turrets, infinite sprint, perfect disguise, and radar invisibility.

And you won't even have a pistol. You'll have a level 1 gun and one fully leveled ability in one class.

Good luck!

Congrats, you just made the multiplayer experience sound absolutely terrible and unbalanced.

If new players are getting owned that bad by players who are much more powerful than them, they're probably gonna go "Fuck this" and rage quit instead of purchasing the full game.

Vaporizer

Banned
Marksman is easy mode. By that I mean if the other team has one that doesn't understand it, it's easy to beat them :p

I remember once i was playing in blood gract. i was a medic and the other guy was sab i think. The rest of the team including the opposition were all marksmen. After getting picked off for the 50th time i flung the controller and called it a night.

Never touched kz3 mp since. I am not sure i wanna go back now that i remember how it all ended.

Dibbz

Those are the only two maps I have a problem with. I pretty much refuse to play Akmir. It was obviously designed as an Operations map first and then shoehorned into Warzone. Radec has always sucked, and its even worse in KZ3.

But the rest of the maps make me appreciate the TSA system. It took me a while to get it, but most TSA areas are good for half the objectives, and bad for the other half.

Take Stahl Arms. Greatest. Map. Ever.

The South Spawn is RIGHT NEXT to the S&D areas for both teams. Attacking or defending, you NEED this TSA to win. Its possible without it, but infinitely more difficult. But the North Spawn, with the tower, is right there by the Capture Points, and thats where you have to deliver the propaganda speakers. And spawning at the north side for those objectives is a major disadvantage. The South spawn has the tower, which makes assassination super easy to win, but it can be a disadvantage during Bodycount because its much more easily camped due the exits.

All the maps seem to run this way. But my favorite non-dlc map is easily Pyrrhus Crater. Utterly fantastic and I always have great matches there.

Yep Akmir should be removed from Warzone and Radec is way too small. The new walls do nothing but encourage spawn trapping. Lente and Stahl are good but honestly I'd prefer if the TSP's we skewed in on sides favour like BB is. Having both TSP's slap bang in the middle like Stahl, Lente and Corinth is good on paper but if one team controls both it can be hell to reclaim one and usually results in spawn trapping. Then there is Pyrus, my god. lol

Oh, awesome, Im looking forward to trying it out.
They did the same thing for MAG didn't they? Must have had good results for them to repeat it.

Yup, I downloaded that a few weeks ago, played, had fun, bought it for $6 used. If I end up liking Killzone 3's MP I will definitely buy it.

What I find funny is all the non-KZ players think I'm listing points against the game.

They just don't get it. Too much CoD, probably.

Although its the KZ2 loyalists that are starting to get on my nerves more.

Listen, I loved that game, LOVED IT. But it was flawed as hell in the MP, a lot more flawed that KZ3 currently is.

Like the fact that the only reason you would use the Saboteur in KZ2 was for the guns. His abilities were utterly worthless and they were laughably easy to spot at any range.

Or the medic. I love the medic, but it was worthless in KZ2. Reviving was never a good idea, especially since spawn nades existed.

And the Assault. Probably would have been balanced without the VC9. But instead...

Oh, and the filler class, the soldier. Nobody used LMGs for good reason, because cover fire was pointless in KZ2.

Face it: in kZ2 if you weren't a tact or an engineer you were wasting everybodies time. The sniper was ALMOST useful, but none of the maps were great for sniping so it was all a wash.

In KZ3 all the classes are balanced (FOR WARZONE) and all of them are useful. It requires more teamwork and more coordination and through the proximity based abilities it is actually harder to play and even more hardcore than KZ2 was.

As long as you're not a scrub playing GW. GW is an imbalanced wreck. Classes designed around completing objectives in Warzone don't work in a solely TDM setting.

Just saw that video, Dibbz, that was impressive as HELL, I must say.

Surprised to see a Move player, actually. I beat the game on Elite using the Move, but I'm too inconsistent with it online to let myself use it a lot. Plus my arms get tired. You were beasting with it, though. Engineers in particular have guns that work great with the move, as it reduces bullet spread significantly compared to a controller. The Sta3 is Godly on the move, but I personally don't like it.

Lingitiz

What I find funny is all the non-KZ players think I'm listing points against the game.

Listen, I loved that game, LOVED IT. But it was flawed as hell in the MP, a lot more flawed that KZ3 currently is.

Like the fact that the only reason you would use the Saboteur in KZ2 was for the guns. His abilities were utterly worthless and they were laughably easy to spot at any range.

Or the medic. I love the medic, but it was worthless in KZ2. Reviving was never a good idea, especially since spawn nades existed.

And the Assault. Probably would have been balanced without the VC9. But instead...

Oh, and the filler class, the soldier. Nobody used LMGs for good reason, because cover fire was pointless in KZ2.

Face it: in kZ2 if you weren't a tact or an engineer you were wasting everybodies time. The sniper was ALMOST useful, but none of the maps were great for sniping so it was all a wash.

In KZ3 all the classes are balanced (FOR WARZONE) and all of them are useful. It requires more teamwork and more coordination and through the proximity based abilities it is actually harder to play and even more hardcore than KZ2 was.

As long as you're not a scrub playing GW. GW is an imbalanced wreck. Classes designed around completing objectives in Warzone don't work in a solely TDM setting.

I don't understand what point you are trying to get across. The stuff you listen pretty much implies that new players will get dominated and frustrated because of good/dedicated players getting rewarded with more things to let them keep dominating new players. Its a huge turnoff. I'm looking forward to giving this a try but the way you are describing it is not helping.

Massa

All the maps seem to run this way. But my favorite non-dlc map is easily Pyrrhus Crater. Utterly fantastic and I always have great matches there.

Pyrrhus Crater? That ugly ass green map where the match ends as soon as the first team captures the TSP, and then it becomes a slaughter fest for the other 6 objectives?

I think that map in Warzone is the worst mode in any multiplayer game I ever played. And I love Killzone 3.

Dibbz

Just saw that video, Dibbz, that was impressive as HELL, I must say.

Surprised to see a Move player, actually. I beat the game on Elite using the Move, but I'm too inconsistent with it online to let myself use it a lot. Plus my arms get tired. You were beasting with it, though. Engineers in particular have guns that work great with the move, as it reduces bullet spread significantly compared to a controller. The Sta3 is Godly on the move, but I personally don't like it.

Move takes the game to a new level. Feels like hax but whatever lol. I don't use it these days. When I get an invite I can't be bothered to calibrate it. There are some other vids on my youtube if you want to check them out, nothing special though.

Add me on PSN if you want.

BTW don't bother trying to convince people about KZ3, I've tried and it doesn't get you anywhere. You either love it or hate it.

Vaporizer

Banned
killzone 3 could have been a good game.

If it had a good level design for it's MP. Kept the dynamic spawn system of kz2. made classes equal and have more operation maps

Dibbz

I don't understand what point you are trying to get across. The stuff you listen pretty much implies that new players will get dominated and frustrated because of good/dedicated players getting rewarded with more things to let them keep dominating new players. Its a huge turnoff. I'm looking forward to giving this a try but the way you are describing it is not helping.

Don't worry about it. You can still dominate with the stuff you get at level 1. You will be playing with the rest of the KZ3 community so your team should help you. It's not like CoD where it's all 1v1. The unlocks do help but if you are a good smart player they just enhance your character. They do not make you into a walking tank or anything.

BTW some advice. Put your points into Tactician or Medic\Engineer. Don't bother with Sab or Marksman, until you know how to play properly.

namDa65

Thinking of picking up this game now retail knowing the community will be bigger from the surge of f2p players.
gotta get my playstation plus first.

Mikey Jr.

http://rayedx.blogspot.com/2011/03/50-reasons-to-hate-killzone-3.html

Alot of dumb points in there, but a lot of good ones as well.

Anyways, yeah, didn't like it too much.

Maybe I went in with too much bias, expecting Killzone 2. I have been away from it for a very long time, so maybe I'll give it another chance? Dunno, I still have BF3, Uncharted 3, and MW3 multiplayer to keep me busy.

Killzone 2 I put in 150 hours into multiplayer. Loved it, loved it. I put 20 into Killzone 3 multiplayer. It was ok, but it was not the sequel I was expecting to my favourite MP game.

Having said all that, this is a great move Sony. We need more of this.

Massa

killzone 3 could have been a good game.

If it had a good level design for it's MP. Kept the dynamic spawn system of kz2. made classes equal and have more operation maps

The spawn system in KZ3 isn't perfect and clashes with the Warzone type of game, but Killzone 2 was also far from perfect. Funnily enough the "dynamic" spawn system there actually meant concentrating players in the same point of the map, so the game didn't feel dynamic at all.

I think Killzone 3 would be a better game if the spawn locations were fixed to a team and couldn't be captured at all.

^Yeah, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

The thing is, is that almost none of the KZ3 abilities help you in killing enemies more easily, sans a couple infiltrator abilities and mm ones. All the abilities are geared towards completing objectives more easily and being more useful to your team. Even the "exceptions" I mentioned in the previous sentence are better used towards objectives than killing. But CoD players don't understand that. They just see "higher level with more abilities" and go "unbalance H4X waahhh!"

And its not like that. BF3 is way more punishing to new players than KZ3. MW3, hands down the worst MP game I have ever played, bar none, is absolutely BRUTAL to new players, and that game is LEGITIMATELY unbalanced. But don't tell that to a CoD player. To them having significantly better guns than a lower level player is the epitome of balance, but a medic leveling up and being able to heal his teammates more easily in KZ3 is "unbalanced hacked bullshit."

I just don't understand the minds of kids these days.

hamchan

^Yeah, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

The thing is, is that almost none of the KZ3 abilities help you in killing enemies more easily, sans a couple infiltrator abilities and mm ones. All the abilities are geared towards completing objectives more easily and being more useful to your team. Even the "exceptions" I mentioned in the previous sentence are better used towards objectives than killing. But CoD players don't understand that. They just see "higher level with more abilities" and go "unbalance H4X waahhh!"

And its not like that. BF3 is way more punishing to new players than KZ3. MW3, hands down the worst MP game I have ever played, bar none, is absolutely BRUTAL to new players, and that game is LEGITIMATELY unbalanced. But don't tell that to a CoD player. To them having significantly better guns than a lower level player is the epitome of balance, but a medic leveling up and being able to heal his teammates more easily in KZ3 is "unbalanced hacked bullshit."

I just don't understand the minds of kids these days.

You sound extremely bitter and defensive against these CoD and BF fans attacking KZ3, the ones you made up in your mind.

Facism

Heh lets not bullshit about KZ2. It had it's problems sure, but GG allowed us to balance those problems out easily via "server" modification. Assault was routinely stripped out of organised play, although in the big "WIN THIS TOURNAMENT GET INTERVIEWED PLAY AGAINST GG" tournament that we won, assault was enabled and hardly abused outside of the novice players who didn't know any better.

Medics were massively useful dependant on the objective being played. Medpacks and revives were necessary and kept squads in the fight longer than if they died and had to respawn on a nade.

Snipers, whilst not taking a centre stage OP role, were useful on some maps and objectives. Corinth Crossing/salamun S&D destroy/defuse was always made easy with one decent sniper keeping overwatch on the objectives.

Sab was a brilliant class too, C4 choked pathways and protected objectives. I was routinely a sab in clan games for that very reason. On a map like Salamun you can choke the rear passages, boobytrap objectives and of course the SMG was godmode.

Vaporizer

Banned
The spawn system in KZ3 isn't perfect and clashes with the Warzone type of game, but Killzone 2 was also far from perfect. Funnily enough the "dynamic" spawn system there actually meant concentrating players in the same point of the map, so the game didn't feel dynamic at all.

I think Killzone 3 would be a better game if the spawn locations were fixed to a team and couldn't be captured at all.

In kz2 what i love about the spawn system was it gave people who were stuck with a shitty team a chance to survive. I remember the good days where i would boost the hell out of a bottle neck, lay a spawn point. Guard it fiercely and watch everyone spawn and play like a team.

in killzone 3 if a semi competent team captures a tsp and you are with a bunch of fools, you might as well quit

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man, I hope this brings some new life the KZ3 multiplayer. I spent so many hours there last year with my buddies.

For all newbies: if you wanna have a chance against the leveled up guys, go infiltrator (full disguise pts), marksman (full cloak pts), or tactician (get the rpg asap). Engineer and Medic need more pts to be useful.

Dibbz

Yep either than or skew the spawns like in Bilgarsk.

Oh man, I hope this brings some new life the KZ3 multiplayer. I spent so many hours there last year with my buddies.

For all newbies: if you wanna have a chance against the leveled up guys, go infiltrator (full disguise pts), marksman (full cloak pts), or tactician (get the rpg asap). Engineer and Medic need more pts to be useful.

No stay away from MM and Sab to begin with. Go Tactician (attacking, control the game) Engineer (defense, support) or Medic (attack/defend with revives)

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Yep either than or skew the spawns like in Bilgarsk.

No stay away from MM and Sab to begin with. Go Tactician (attacking, control the game) Engineer (defense, support) or Medic (attack/defend with revives)

Take into account they probably won't have full unlock pts to max out a class. The engineer's turret is not very good (too slow) and you must know pretty well a map in order to get the most kills out of one; crate fixing/hacking doesn't give too many pts as well. The medic becomes useful only if the has revive++ (that gives the bonus health on revive) AND the skill to get up after being killed. Otherwise you won't get many kills and won't be of much use either.

I like to play support classes on FPS (I play both Eng. and Medic) but considering the general demographic of these games I think my earlier suggestions would be the most effective in terms of getting a good K/D ratio for the least amount of pts.

This. So much this.

But on the spawns, yeah, I may prefer the spawn system of KZ2, but I'm not going to say the KZ3 system is not without its merits, especially for warzone. It makes it possible to have territory control, and making some spawns more viable for certain objectives than others, making each round not only about winning in the moment, but deciding which spawn to go after next based on the probability of the next objective.

And I don't think the spawn trapping argument really applies here. With two skilled teams its IMPOSSIBLE to hold down all the spawns on the map. Even in Pyyrhus its impossible to hold the spawn for the entire game if both teams are very good. And in KZ2 if you're team sucked, it didn't matter how good of a tact you were, you were going to get spawn camped, and boosting out and placing a flanking spawn was not always a sure fire victory, because all that would happen would be THAT spawn getting trapped for 90 seconds and then you're back to square one.

Dibbz

Take into account they probably won't have full unlock pts to max out a class. The engineer's turret is not very good (too slow) and you must know pretty well a map in order to get the most kills out of one; crate fixing/hacking doesn't give too many pts as well. The medic becomes useful only if the has revive++ (that gives the bonus health on revive) AND the skill to get up after being killed. Otherwise you won't get many kills and won't be of much use either.

I like to play support classes on FPS (I play both Eng. and Medic) but considering the general demographic of these games I think my earlier suggestions would be the most effective in terms of getting a good K/D ratio for the least amount of pts.

You can win games without the MM and Sab even if they can make winning a bit easier. You cannot win at all without a good Tact and Engineer/Medic are support classes and that is always good for a team.

Not sure how many points will be up for grabs for these guys anyway.

EDIT: I went back and played some KZ2 a month or so ago. Brought back some memories to say the least, lol

http://youtu.be/5K_JGZHY8Wo?hd=1

Playing Killzone for KDR is probably the worst idea possible. You WILL be dead last in the leaderboards and leveling up will take FOREVER. And your teammates will hate you for it.

Seriously, its an objective based game, play for objectives. In high level play nobody complains about marksmen in warzone because they don't show up that often, since they're bad at completing objectives. And when you do get the occasional d-bag that just hangs back and snipes the entire match going for his KDR, the team he's sniping is usually laughing their ass off because it means that his team is essentially down a player, and his team is pissed, because they are effectively down a player. The respawn time is so short that kills have to MEAN something.

And lets put this numerically:

Kill = 100 points
Headshot = 150 points
Planting an Explosive = 350 points
Explosive blows up = 650 points
Getting both explosives planted and blown up = 2500 points
Downing the assassination target = 650 points
bleeding out the assassination target = 350 points
Delivering a speaker = 1000 points
Defusing an explosive = 350 points
Surviving an assassination = 1000 points
Capturing an area = 300 points
Capturing a TSA = 150 points
Reviving a player = 50 points
Repairing something = 50 points

Basically GG have made it so 1 objective is worth 10 kills. Playing for KDR gets you damn near nothing, and its a waste of time. Eventually you'll be good enough to get a good KDR and complete objectives, but it takes time.

Lingitiz

Maybe this could mean they would do this for Resistance 3. I know everyone loves the SP in it but I don't know what the consensus on the MP was. I enjoyed the demo when I tried it so I would definitely give it a shot.

Sony could do a lot of good with this strategy by breathing some life into these MP communities and giving them some heat for the eventual sequels.

dummydecoy

Why you give Marksman an Assault rifle, GG? It's OP as fuck.

dlZgf.jpg

bCbZf.jpg

EukV5.jpg

uNi2j.jpg

Top Bottom