• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KILLZONE.com website officially retired

Apeopleman

KILLZONE.COM HAS RETIRED​

Dear Killzone.com visitor,

The official website for the KILLZONE franchise has retired. Going forward, visitors to Killzone.com will be directed to PlayStation.com.

While this change doesn’t affect the online multiplayer modes, player statistics or ranking data for KILLZONE MERCENARY and KILLZONE SHADOW FALL, it is now no longer possible to create or manage clans in KILLZONE SHADOW FALL. We apologize for this inconvenience.

Thank you to Killzone.com’s many fans and visitors throughout the years for their enthusiasm and support.

Sincerely,

Guerrilla

this is not good news. I had high hopes for Guerilla secretly working on a PS5 killzone. Let’s hope they are working on a ps5 SOCOM

Bolivar687

Banned
giphy-2.gif

I was never a fan of Killzone but I have fond memories of Liberation and the times around Killzone 2 came out.

I was working at SCEA and remember people playing the games at the workplace kiosk.

Liberation was actually a really cool game. It was one of my first PSP games.

Last edited:

Shmunter

These cocksuckers better not be all going into open world time wasting models. Give us quality narrative with linear campaigns as well ffs.

fvng

Not surprised. They didn't have a game that hit critical mass until Horizon. Killzone never reached the levels of cultural significance like other competing games did. Nobody speaks of Killzone in the same breath as Halo, Gears of War, TLOU or Horizon

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Doesn‘t come as a surprise. Think they tried often enough to get this series big not never managed to do so. Guerilla is better off focusing on Horizon and other new stuff.

I enjoyed Horizon far more than Shadow Fall. Not every series is meant to go on forever. Horizon was my second favorite game last gen after TLOU2 so I'm pleased it's getting their full attention.
Shadow Fall is mediocre at best, Horizon is mediocre at worst. Horizon as a franchise could have potential but the gameplay loop/combat just didn't "wow" me. Pretty overrated IMO.

Not surprised. They didn't have a game that hit critical mass until Horizon. Killzone never reached the levels of cultural significance like other competing games did. Nobody speaks of Killzone in the same breath as Halo, Gears of War, TLOU or Horizon
Killzone is used in fanboy wars only because it's not quite as good as Halo, ignoring the fact that 2 and 3 were decent.

Last edited:

Nezzeroth

It's for the best. They proved with Horizon they are capable of making much better games. Let them work on other stuff.

xrnzaaas

Can't say I'm surprised with this development, hopefully the studio will tackle some other IP after releasing Horizon 2 instead of making only Horizon games from now on.

Last edited:

Radical_3d

Good. They betrayed the unique feel of KZ with the sequel, and KZ3 plot was a joke on top of that. Guerrilla listened too much to the forums for its own good. No wonder that they are already doing what looks like a product of a focus group idea: an open world with dinosaurs and robots where you loot.

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.killzone.com/

Mx432p.jpg

Looks like Guerilla is done with the franchise then. What's weird is that it takes you to the generic page for PlayStation rather than the Killzone specific page. Search results don't find any killzone games at all

pTrnmH.jpg

Whereas something like Knack returns the game page as well

7qOi8f.jpg

Can still find it direct with a store search though

bcw41C.jpg

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
No remake please, i want a full next-gen open world Killzone game set in the Shadowfall world.

I really miss the this franchise!

Concern

So we're just going to get Horizon sequels this gen? What a joke. Sony will officially have no shooters unless they announce something new.

No resistance, no killzone, no mag, etc etc

Shmunter

So we're just going to get Horizon sequels this gen? What a joke. Sony will officially have no shooters unless they announce something new.

No resistance, no killzone, no mag, etc etc
Sheesh. That engine on next gen killzone would melt eyeballs.

Let’s hope they are working on some dark grit sci-fi in a similar vein at least.

ManofOne

Plus Member
Well I doubt you'll see much games like Killzone anytime soon other than the usual mainstream cods

zombrex

RIP.
Shadow Fall story/setting direction was the worst way to take the franchise.
Certainly a factor in killing the series imo.
But let's be honest COD and F2P shooters owns the genre these days.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Killzone is a good franchise, but for some reason it was never full understood by people and critics. Saying is a bad franchise is bullshit: Liberation for PSP was an incredible game, Mercenary a solid fps for a portable device, Shadow Falls had some good new mechanics. Other titles were far from perfect but not bad.

For me it's because people just wanted the next COD, they say they wanted to play something different but in the end they hust wanted COD. COD killed many franchise, such as Resistance and Crysis.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
After being a fan of Shadow fall I was hoping they where working on a true next gen version as I came late to the party but absolutely loved the world in Shadow fall and for a launch game it's still an amazing looker, fingers crossed they release a 4k/60 patch but seeing as how big Horizon was for them it's a no brainer the company went all in with the sequel

Riky

$MSFT
Sad news if Killzone is done, would have made me get a PS5 along with a Resistance reboot. Seems Sony have a formula now and that's not good.

Last edited:

v1oz

This leaves Sony without an exclusive first person shooter. The Resistance series also got unofficially retired it seems.

Sony aren't precious about their franchises the way that Nintendo and MS are. Just look at Sly and Jax etc etc.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Shadowfall was the only Killzone I ever played. Maybe the earlier iterations of KZ were WAY better but to me SF was hot garbage. I played it before HZD which was one of the main reasons I even bought a PS4 and I feared HZD would also be garbage. I was very happy to find out I was wrong about HZD, it ended of being one of my favorite games of last gen.

HFW looks beautiful so far and like it is going to be a massive hit so I think it's smart for GG to focus on that series.

Top Bottom