• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Liberation in Amsterdam : hands on of this IMPRESSIVE title and NEW screens

Killzone Liberation was presented last week in Amsterdam: Mathijs de Jorde, KL director, says "Killzone Liberation is still a Killzone game; we only have changed the prespective of the camera. This is why a lot of people compare this game to Metal Gear".
Killzone Liberation expands the universe of Killzone. This game transcurs 2 months after Killzone 1 (PS2) with the arrival of a new captain who wants to conquer the south of Vekta, the city of ISA.

Playing Killzone Liberation for the first time is difficult: it requires some time to get the controls and the camera.

KZ has a Tactical Combat System completely optional. With this control you can control other units giving them orders.

The missions are not very long, you can adjust the difficulty, there are a lot of checkpoints,... Everything you want for a handheld game is here.

The isometric view is excelent (although you can't control the camera) and you have a good perspective of the action in every moment.

The graphics are very good. The characters aren't made with a lot of polygons but they are good enough for the view that this game has. However, the post-apocalypctic environments are amazing: plently of details, impressive explosions, good ligthing, smoke, water.... Special mention for the outside environments which are the most impressive of this game.

Killzone Liberation has a CG intro and real time intros for every mission.

But where this title shines is on the gameplay. Killzone Liberation is maybe the most playable game on the PSP. The controls are very intuitive (With R botton you crounch, with L bottom you can fix your objective while you move). The controls have changed for better since E306.
You can play Killzone Liberation in some different ways for example using the Tactical Combat system and making the missions a lot more strategic (the Tactical Combat system is completely optional).

There are a lot of different weapons. During the missions you can gain money and you can use it for buy new weapons, explosives,...

There are also vehicles and you can control them: tanks, hovercrafts and even a jet-pack.
These vehicles are very useful in some missions.

Every mission finishes with a boss. Very original and hard. Here is where you must show everything you have learned during the mission.

snap012pe.jpg

Something very impressive of this game is the IA of the enemies .However there are still some issues that Guerrilla promises to solve before the release of the game.

There are 16 missions divided in 4 different chapters. Every mission last aprox 20 min. But don' worry with the lasting appeal of Killzone Liberation. You have the multiplayer mode, the cooperative mode and the callenge mode. In this last mode the game will propose you some differnt ways to finish the missions. Then, you will awarded with a gold-silver-bronze medal. Using this medals you can unlock new habilities like your power, your stamina. You will also be awarded when you do an "exceptional achievements".

Guerrilla will open the homepage of Killzone Liberation in November with some surprises.

In the cooperative mode 2 persons can play, in real time, the same 16 missions of the singler player. Very very funny.

Finally the multiplayer. 6 players via ad-hoc (and infraestructure later) with 4 different modes (capture the flag, assault,...)

In february 2007, you will be able to download new multiplayer maps, new challenges, a completely new chapter (with 4 different missions),...

KiLiber.jpg

Killzone_4-3-Shot1031.jpg

Killzone_4-3-Shot1233.jpg

Killzone_3-1-Shot108.jpg

Killzone_4-3-Shot1132.jpg

Killzone_3-4-Shot0423.jpg

Killzone_3-1-Shot119.jpg

Killzone_3-1-Shot011.jpg

Killzone_3-4-Shot0725.jpg

Killzone_3-3-Shot0317.jpg

Killzone_4-3-Shot0226.jpg

THANKS TO MERISTATION

aku:jiki

I agree that the game is great. Much better than the original, actually.

Robinspain said:
Playing Killzone Liberation for the first time is difficult: it requires some time to get the controls and the camera.
I can't agree with this at all, though. The controls and view are great and easy to use and the game is fairly simple to just pick up and play.

I'm only hearing good things about KZL, really can't wait to finally play it myself. Multiplayer must be very good and addicting...

Wollan

Pretty crazy graphics for a handheld. Insane almost.
And even better there's actually a deep game behind it all.

Yoboman

This game should help me decided whether Guerilla are worth taking seriously. Killzone was a flop and a half, but there was potential there looking past the bugs and limitations. I'm sure the buyout has helped them improve alot

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Some corrections.

Robinspain said:
Killzone Liberation was presented last week in Amsterdam: Mathijs de Jorde, KL director, says "Killzone Liberation is still a Killzone game;

Mathijs de Jonge (was lead artist on Shellshock Nam '67)

But where this title shines is on the gameplay. Killzone Liberation is maybe the most playable game on the PSP. The controls are very intuitive (With R botton you crounch, with L bottom you can fix your objective while you move).
L = Strafe
R = Crouch
L+R = Lock onto destructible objects
Doubletap L = Dodgeroll

There are a lot of different weapons. During the missions you can gain money and you can use it for buy new weapons, explosives,...
eg. You start out with a max capacity of 2 grenades, but you can unlock the ability to carry more grenades with you.

Every mission finishes with a boss.

Depends on your definition of boss, but not every mission will have one. There are 4 chapters, each with 4 missions. You could say there are "bosses" in 1.4, 3.4, 4.2, 4.3. But in reality only 3.4 and 4.3 has boss characters.

Agent X

IGN also posted several new videos yesterday. Although it already looks great in still shots, it's even more impressive in motion.

Lionheart

I'm very interested in this game, I recently picked up Killzone for 12 euros, going to play through that first.

Is there any chance that co-op can also be played through infrastructure mode later?

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
This is one of my most anticipated PSP games, ASSUMING it delivers (what I've pictured in my mind) of course. ;)

So it is online then? And I so wish I had a friend close-by with a PSP, co-op is always nice. :)

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I think I might be sold on this, looks damn good. Anybody know what firmware is needed for this game?

JoJo13

Banned
This game looks awesome, can't wait to play it!!:D

Bad_Boy said:
I think I might be sold on this, looks damn good. Anybody know what firmware is needed for this game?
Maybe FW 2.81?:lol

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
finally, a must have PSP title for me. the gadget has been great for watching tv shows and movies on the go, but I've played maybe 5 hours of games on it so far. that's not a bash, as I think the PSP has a nice future ahead of it in terms of games.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Yep, its about time one of Sonys studios realised the thing isnt a PS2 port box and made something that actually fits both the target demographic and the systems abilities.

Captain N

I saw the videos posted on IGN yesterday and I'm pumped. Hopefully a demo will be in my mailbox sometime this week.

madmook

Day one purchase. Absolutely phenomenal graphics, and I love the Killzone universe. Coop and various competitive multiplayer modes cements the deal (sad that infrastructure mp won't make it at launch but great news that they'll be adding it as a downloadable feature sometime down the line, as well as downloadable content!).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It really looks great, and I really hope they release a one level demo sometimes soon.

I've heard there are some AI issues in preview build with enemies with rocket launchers that are sometimes impossible to avoid and not get killed. Good to know they are working on those issues and fixing them before the release.

Ghost said:
Yep, its about time one of Sonys studios realised the thing isnt a PS2 port box and made something that actually fits both the target demographic and the systems abilities.
That's a bit unfair statement. SCE studios have been pretty good so far with PSP support, and tailoring games for it (just on top of my head, Daxter, Syphon Filter and now KZ were all reworked to be very handheld friendly, completely new, and yet very much "big console" experiences). It's majority of western 3rd parties that should realize that exact thing you're saying, though.

Mau ®

Everything is looking MIGHTY awesome with Killzone PSP.

Too bad infrastructure won't be included at first, maybe they're targeting to release the online multiplayer pack when the PS3 launches? Would make sense...

Definite purchase though.

gbovo

sugarhigh4242 said:
This game looks awesome. Is there any way to get a demo? I'm a member of Sony's GAP.
The poter I referred to on the playstation forums said they got the demo from GAP, so if you're lucky you might receive one in the mail too.

inthezone said:
Everything is looking MIGHTY awesome with Killzone PSP.

Too bad infrastructure won't be included at first, maybe they're targeting to release the online multiplayer pack when the PS3 launches? Would make sense...

Definite purchase though.

They said it's coming out in February in the first post. I don't think it has anything with wanting to coincide with the PS3 launch. They just couldn't finish the infrastructure mode on time. But I'm glad instead of hearing "wait for the sequel", they're still going to be hard at work to deliver the infrastructure mode along with 4 new SP levels early next year.

RaijinFY

That's really impressive. The PS3 game will of course not look like the E3 2K5 render :p but I bet it will still be one of the most impressive looking game on the PS3.

Flo_Evans

RaijinFY said:
That's really impressive. The PS3 game will of course not look like the E3 2K5 render :p but I bet it will still be one of the most impressive looking game on the PS3.

Que?

this is the PSP game duder :lol

Wollan

And a little note to Tempy here. We better see Beach return for Killzone PS3 multiplayer.
The design and atmosphere of that level was awesome. Loved the wind and the hint of an incoming storm.

RaijinFY

Flo_Evans said:
Que?

this is the PSP game duder :lol

I know and I think It's really impressive what they achieved with the PSP hardware. The art direction especially is really top notch. This bodes well for the PS3 iteration, that's all what i'm saying! :p

typo said:
****! I hate living in Canada sometimes... I never get any of these ****ing demos!

Well, on the plus side, you don't have to deal with disappointment. They sent me a demo. then I looked and discovered it was for their soccer game. Blah.

trancejeremy said:
Well, on the plus side, you don't have to deal with disappointment. They sent me a demo. then I looked and discovered it was for their soccer game. Blah.

:lol

Seriously, though. I've had a PSP over a year now, and I've been in the GAP program for quite a while, and I have yet to receive a demo disc of anything. All I got (months and months later) was a hat that is rather tight on my head.

NomarTyme

typo said:
:lol

Seriously, though. I've had a PSP over a year now, and I've been in the GAP program for quite a while, and I have yet to receive a demo disc of anything. All I got (months and months later) was a hat that is rather tight on my head.

So far I got some a stupid t-shirt and a soccer demo Lame!!!

Top Bottom