• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Online PS5 launch title (Pure Speculation)

No Bloodborne 2 though?
Seems like a random guess to me. I doubt they're leaking anything.
Maybe, seems like a very specific thing to randomly guess though. Nothing has been announced or mentioned about KZ since the PS4 launch, so I feel like there would have been more obvious things to guess.

Portugeezer

Weird thing for official PS mag to ask without knowing something about those games. Some truth to it, I just don't know what...

ZywyPL

Banned
Only one out of four installments was really, REALLY good - KZ2, but we can all agree it was a pleasant accident rather than a well thought-out design, GG didn't know what they were doing, it just turned out to be actually good. So the question is how many more tries GG needs to (maybe) finally come up with a decent formula that works, again and again?

Because games like CoD, BF, Halo, Gears etc. have their identity, all of their installments play pretty much the same, while each KZ game is different than the others, sure they all share the same universe, but other than that they all feel like different, separate FPS. I'm all into another KZ2, just add more weapons and maps and we're good to go, but I don't have much faith left for GG.

Sony has IG now as their 1st party studio, so IMO that's where the funds should go, not only is IG undoubtedly more talented studio, but Resistance is already more prominent series.

But nevertheless, whether Killzone, Resistance, or any new IP for the matter, anything that's not a yet another 3rd person cinematic walking simulator will be way more than welcome in my books, especially as a lunch title.

H4ze

Despite the mediocre ratings, I enjoyed the last Killzone, was the first game I got for my then brand new PS4 at launch.

Will play a new one too for sure, at least if the ratings are not below 70/100

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Who are you to judge ?

Cos i wont be getting those game
I didn't mean it like that, I meant it more in general as in they will be available for you to buy. They are merely asking what (you) want first.

VertigoOA

Banned
I don’t think Sony should be wasting development resources on an FPS. Third party developers have that genre on lock.

I mean... they did better this gen with their exclusives by not doing what everyone else doesn’t...

I want Bloodborne 2. Not a soft copycat like God of War. Bloodborne is the best Metroidvania of all time.

I enjoyed Shadowfall’s mp at launch, played it quite a bit.

IN if it’s a f2p arena shooter however. Actually, I can’t see a killzone online being anything but that...

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
You know its REALLY easy to know why Killzone 2's multiplayer was so fondly remembered compared to the other entry In the series.

changing missions objectives mid match, one minute its point hold, anouther its CTF, next is bomb plant then its protect the VIP the mix ups helped set the gameplay apart and force defensive lines back and forward naturally without feeling forced.

That and the map design, little things like the huge dust storms in the desert only allowing you to see the glows on the armour from the enemies at a distance really added to the intensity, playing as helghast just to see that dull blue and taking pot shots into the storm was when I realised this was the most immersive FPS since Metriod Prime.

bring back this superb map/environmental design and the shifting objectives as the standard game mode with the classic class based warfare and where golden.

Perhaps a single player campaign where we play as the Helgast fulltime finally would be nice too.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
As long as it is not Battle Royal I'm in........cannot stand that mode. Would rather have Bloodborne 2 but a new Killzone game that sticks to the highly tactical multiplayer gameplay would be a reason for me to purchase a PS5.

mejin

I would approve HZD 2 Fall 2020 only if it is a cross gen game. Series deserve sales and not everyone will be happy and lucky enough to get a PS5 at launch.

Fbh

Sounds like pure speculation. But I really hope the Killzone franchise isn't completely dead. I always really enjoyed the multiplayer and while they never quite nailed it with the SP, the potential was definitely there.

Last edited:

DonF

I believe that a first party GaaS Multiplayer is a very good idea. Every platform should have a killer f2p next gen.

Imagine releasing Killzone Online, f2p, with like 8 maps, have a steady drop of remastered maps and new ones, like 1 every month and a half.
Add a model similar to Apex, season pass goodies and cosmetics, or like Fortnite.
Make improvements to the game as it goes (fornite performance and resolutions have been drastically improved since launch)

I would pay for that. I would love that.

Kokoloko85

I hope this isn’t true. Its a good franchise even though shadow fall really dissapointed me. It would be a waste because they could be working on Horizon or something else.

Sony would be wise to leave this out, they’d be better off with a new 1st person franchise. One of the mistakes Sony made was have a not so great launch title line up and one of them was Shadow Fall.
There not selling consoles like Killzone 2, its never gonna be that console selling franchise again in my eyes.

Unless this is an extra online title, and hasnt taken away from the other launch titles

DanielsM

Banned
I hope this isn’t true. Its a good franchise even though shadow fall really dissapointed me. It would be a waste because they could be working on Horizon or something else.

Sony would be wise to leave this out, they’d be better off with a new 1st person franchise. One of the mistakes Sony made was have a not so great launch title line up and one of them was Shadow Fall.
There not selling consoles like Killzone 2, its never gonna be that console selling franchise again in my eyes.

Unless this is an extra online title, and hasnt taken away from the other launch titles

Well, whatever decisions have been made were made 3-4 years ago - talking about what Sony should do is pretty much moot at this point, as they are probably 2-5 years into development.

GG has said they want titles to come out on a quicker basis i.e. multiple teams or multiple projects - they were pushing up head count years ago.

I would expect to seek Killzone Next (or similar) and Horizon 2 1-2 years behind it.

2020-2021 Killzone Next
2022-2023 Horizon 2

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

Well, whatever decisions have been made were made 3-4 years ago - talking about what Sony should do is pretty much moot at this point, as they are probably 2-5 years into development.

GG has said they want titles to come out on a quicker basis i.e. multiple teams or multiple projects - they were pushing up head count years ago.

I would expect to seek Killzone Next (or similar) and Horizon 2 1-2 years behind it.

2020-2021 Killzone Next
2022-2023 Horizon 2

Very true lol. I just hope they learnt from their last decisions. Horizon is a system seller they’d be smart to have that out quickly.

Stuart360

Why not a 4k/60fps Killzone 2 with Raytracing and next gen effects.

That would look insanely good and the multiplayer component would be perfect for a new console.
The next gen consoles would struggle to run Shadowfall at 4k/60 with Ray Tracing, nevermind a proper next gen version.

Edit. You said Killzone 2, my bad. :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

psygn0sis

Only one out of four installments was really, REALLY good - KZ2, but we can all agree it was a pleasant accident rather than a well thought-out design, GG didn't know what they were doing, it just turned out to be actually good. So the question is how many more tries GG needs to (maybe) finally come up with a decent formula that works, again and again?

Because games like CoD, BF, Halo, Gears etc. have their identity, all of their installments play pretty much the same, while each KZ game is different than the others, sure they all share the same universe, but other than that they all feel like different, separate FPS. I'm all into another KZ2, just add more weapons and maps and we're good to go, but I don't have much faith left for GG.

Sony has IG now as their 1st party studio, so IMO that's where the funds should go, not only is IG undoubtedly more talented studio, but Resistance is already more prominent series.

But nevertheless, whether Killzone, Resistance, or any new IP for the matter, anything that's not a yet another 3rd person cinematic walking simulator will be way more than welcome in my books, especially as a lunch title.

I don't agree, Killzone trilogy was very good (KZ1, KZ3) to great (KZ2), Shadowfall instead was a solid 7/10 and nothing more.

Psykodad

Banned
I don't agree, Killzone trilogy was very good (KZ1, KZ3) to great (KZ2), Shadowfall instead was a solid 7/10 and nothing more.
This guy gets it.

And hopefully they go more lineair again, because going more open was one of Shadowfalls problems, imo.

One of the strongest aspects of Killzone was the tense and claustrophobic nature of the campaigns.
They really need to do something with the story though, they had such an amazing backstory with a lot of potential, hidden away in a timeline on the official killzone website...

Roufianos

Where are these rumours? Been looking for the rush of Socom 2 online ever since. This sounds intriguing.

Yea me too.

Colin Moriarty tweeted that a source informed him of a Socom project which sounded "bizzare" in a positive sense.

He then stated in a podcast that Guerilla are working on Horizon and another 3rd person project and that people should be able to connect the dots as to what it is. (He hasn't teased anything else recently).

I also asked him if it was Socom on Patreon and he said "You never know ;)".

Also, they hired the lead of R6 Siege so clearly planning something tactical.

Top Bottom