• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadow Fall | Full Forest level gameplay | Best looking game of show?

W2/3 have awesome looking forests. Really rich and detailed. But the lighting and post process effects don't hold a candle to this imo.

When it comes down to forests it is all about understanding how vegetation grows in a natural setting. I think that the way plants and tress are distributed in Shadow Fall makes it look a bit cartoony, especially because of those clean white rocks. But I agree that the Red engine is less advanced, good thing there aren't too many explosion in the Witcher 3 because those would look underwhelming.

Zukuu

Banned
I dunno, the graphic art style chosen seems weird to me. It's a mix of realism and comic somehow. That RPG shooter for the PS4 looks way, way ,way better imo.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Looks amazing. This will be glorious at 1080p.

PS4 launch has me more hyped than ever.

Preordered both my PS4 and Xbox One today, but aside from Titan Fall and Forza, nothing really impressed me at the MS conference....

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Oh wow, looks totally different for a Killzone.

Multiplayer with those OWL ziplines could be fucking incredible?

I'd be more impressed if the gameplay didn't look so boring.

Just curious; would you rather be funneled down a corridor through scripted shootouts? Me personally, I loved the openness of the environment, the slower pace, the use of tactics, the traversal.

One of the few shooters shown so far that really makes me want to get my hands on it. So happy the enemy hit reactions and particle effects are up to Killzone standards. That alternate fire explosive one shot looks ridiculously satisfying. The recoil is a bit weak though, they need to get away from laser aim firearms.

BadAss2961

Just curious; would you rather be funneled down a corridor through scripted shootouts? Me personally, I loved the openness of the environment, the slower pace, the use of tactics, the traversal.
Surely Shadow Fall will have its share of big scripted shootouts as well. Like from the reveal.

jett

D-Member
Best thing about it is how open it seems to be compared to previous games.

Sony was really fucking stupid to only spend five minutes on their own games in its two-hour conference.

JB1981

One of the few shooters shown so far that really makes me want to get my hands on it. So happy the enemy hit reactions and particle effects are up to Killzone standards. That alternate fire explosive one shot looks ridiculously satisfying.

The aesthetic is fantastic but I'm just not seeing KZ2-style enemy hit reactions here.

I'm also seeing what appears to be rather pedestrian AI

driver116

Look excellent, so glad they're giving us open levels, freedom for missions etc. Just watching the Second Son gameplay - the visuals are fucking insane.

Vire

I'm not sure what I wanted to be honest, but this just doesn't look exciting.

Titanfall got my blood flowing, this got me yawning.

Sure looks nice though.

Man it looks sick. But more than that is how it changes up the Killzone formula. One of the problems I had with the series - besides the infamous input lag and rather mediocre weapon selection - was the level design was always tedious and straight forward.

Killzone: Shadowfall looks like it opens things up dramatically, and on top of that adds a plethora of dynamic new gameplay options. And if it really is 1080p@60fps for launch, the visuals will be crazy for a launch game.
30 fps.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Yeah, as much as people were against having Killzone demoed on stage again, they should have shown this along with inFamous. Looks stunning.

I love how they did a 180 and made Shadowful really full of color and not brown or blue/orange tinted. Take note devs, colors make your games look better.

King_Moc

Banned
Wait, they've opened the environments up? This could be interesting then. I found the other Killzones linear and a bit dull.

Second Son is not at launch. Its Q1 2014.

Division looks waaaaaay better, but that will come in Q4 I think.

I honestly don't see why people are so crazy over that game other than the lovely vista in the intro. It does look very good, but I think the lighting looks a bit too subdued during gameplay. The environments in FFXV for instance impressed me quite a bit more. In fact, I honestly do not understand how people thing Division is the stand out title visually. Gameplay vid of FFXV looked more impressive to me than Division.

J-Man

They should have taken time in the conference to show off there first party title like this and Second Son, but I guess everyone would still be seeing these videos online anyways!

nib95

Banned
They should have taken time in the conference to show off there first party title like this and Second Son, but I guess everyone would still be seeing these videos online anyways!

Agreed. Not sure why they didn't tbh.

i-Lo

Two words: Pop ins

Pisses me off to no end. I'll take sparser environment, lowered detail and lower resolution (pre-upscaled) over this.

Nafai1123

Banned
Two words: Pop ins

Pisses me off to no end. I'll take sparser environment, lowered detail and lower resolution (pre-upscaled) over this.

Pop-in? I just watched the 60fps Gamersyde direct feed and saw no pop-in at all, even on the foliage which is usually the most obvious. There was some shadow glitching on the rope slide down and what appears to be some drop in framerate towards the end, but the game still has plenty of time for polish.

Looks fantastic.

Arnie

It's technically impressive but the Killzone aesthetic is definitely less distinct. Take any of these screens and remove the Helghast eyes and it's not a Killzone game. I still think, like the first demo, that it looks uninspiring from a gameplay perspective.

RibMan

To be fair, they had a lot of new stuff to show yesterday and they already showed KZ (along with Knack, Second Son and Drive Club) back in February. It makes more sense to show new material than revisit material that people have already seen - especially at an E3 conference.

Also, Sony always shows up with montages. They didn't disappoint in that regard.

Azull

I would love to see some multiplayer footage to be quiet honest. It does look fantastic though. Day 1 for me.

sunnz

Bad idea to put those pictures up, the quality is just HORRIBLE ( not the game, i mean the video's bit rate, copying the images from those videos is not good)

For some you can even count the pixels.

So blurry

The division made me WOW more, but still an amazing looking game ( from that one video that isn't so badly compressed)

Igo

I hate how bright and over-saturated everything is. If they just turned it down a tiny bit i'd be a lot happier.

Also, why can no one model realistic rocks. Which dev has the best rock tech these days?

jaosobno

Looks amazing but i wish we had some direct feed screens to salivate over

Salivate away (not mine, one guy on another forum captured these, thx shockwave):

kzsf3n3yhh.png

kzsfodx0q.jpg

kzsf1e8bhl.png

kzsf4s0lle.png

kzsf526lxo.png

i-Lo

Pop-in? I just watched the 60fps Gamersyde direct feed and saw no pop-in at all, even on the foliage which is usually the most obvious. There was some shadow glitching on the rope slide down and what appears to be some drop in framerate towards the end, but the game still has plenty of time for polish.

Looks fantastic.

I was watching the live demo that GS was responsible for. Let me get back to you with the 60fps trailer (which is odd because the game will be 30fps). Next gen bullshot= 60fps trailers?

Doran902

all this 720p bullshit is getting on my nerves

glad i know im getting atleast 2 aaa launch titles gnack and kz

infamous soon after

games all look great

AngryBird

Banned
The new gameplay from that GS vid made me interested in the game. Weird?

I liked it better than the feb 20 gameplay.

I have never played any KZ games by the way.

Top Bottom