• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killzone Shadowfall - No splash screens, no logos, no epilepsy warning. Just game.

DBT85

A revelation found from this thread, linking to this Eurogamer article

"Realistically, I think a lot of people can do this... It's just that the initial chunk of 7.5GB is quite big. I think if we would have known exactly how everything would work... I think next time around we'll try to see if we can design something that doesn't jeopardise the game which will make it even friendlier. But I think all things considered, this being launch and we've got like 2 minutes 44 from disc to the first level and no installs, I think it's already a massive improvement over previous generations."

Whether played from hard disc or Blu-ray, van der Leeuw is particularly proud of how fast and seamlessly the game loads; it's been a pet project for the tech director, who hates how slow modern games have become to operate. Guerrilla has completely eliminated in-game load times after an initial 30 seconds, and removed all logos and splash screens from the game's start-up routine. It may take a while to download Killzone Shadow Fall, but once you have it, the game comes to you very quickly indeed.

"To me, that's still something that fills my heart with joy when I see it. You insert the disc and go straight to menu," he says. "People here worked very hard... We had to ask legal and Dolby, the epilepsy warning stuff, the logos from Havok - we had to negotiate with them that we could put it in the credits and not the title screen... All the rules are built around the previous generation. I'm really happy that we're one of the first ones in, and I hope it's an example that people are going to follow

Everyone in the thread is happy about it, and I figured it was something more people would love to see in more games. I've already tweeted at Yoshida about it.

I really hope more games follow the same path.

I bought your damned game, get out of the way and let me play it!

This is cool. Nothing irks me more than when I start a game, I have to see all those screens every single time. NBA 2K does this the worst and so does GTA

antitrop

Wow, as a PC gamer I've gotten used to watching 30 different fucking spinning logos before the game starts. (Until you figure out which movie files to delete)

Good on them.

daripad

And this is how you start a new generation. This will be so good, hope other companies do this (EA, I'm looking at you and your 3030303 logos)

Kade

A lot of Nintendo games have been doing this lately as well and it's awesome. Hopefully it becomes an industry wide trend.

I hope every developer does this, I want all games to start as fast as when Yoshida joined his friend when he was streaming the KZ game.

Squishy3

So how long until someone gets a seizure from playing Killzone Shadow Fall and sues Sony because there wasn't an epilepsy warning at the start of the game?

asian-guy-thumbs-up.gif

Damaniel

Banned
Nothing pisses me off more in a game than long, unskippable disclaimers/credits/middleware and video card advertisements/other garbage.

I'd be perfectly happy with a game that only shows those things once and then puts them away in a 'Credits' menu somewhere. I'm really happy with Guerilla's choice to hide them away in a menu from the very beginning. Hopefully this is the start of a trend.

Preorder
not
cancelled!

ElFly

x-men_2__clone_wars.gif

It's good that we are back to approaching the gold standard of just the game maam again.

Good job, Guerrilla.

gogogow

Thats very cool! I hope more devs go for this!

The only devs i've seen done this are IW. Yes, there are logo's, but you can skip all of them within a second. Treyarch had to fuck things up with their billions of non-skippable logos, at least there's the option to jump straight into MP.

antitrop

So how long until someone gets a seizure from playing Killzone Shadow Fall and sues Sony because there wasn't an epilepsy warning at the start of the game?
Put it on the back of the box or something, doesn't need to be in the actual game code.

OMG one step closer to cold opening a game 15 seconds after you boot it up and throwing you immediately into the fray. Please someone do this. Naughty Dog, you listening?

And good on Guerilla for being smart. A lot of devs fail to realize that part of the reason Call of Duty caught on the way it did was how fast the "Boot --> playing" time was. No wasted time in those menus or long boot sequences. you already have the player's money, nobody cares about your logos.

Top Bottom